THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns awarded LB Matt Roth

CLEVELandMILIDH

21853.a.jpgBrowns awarded LB Matt Roth

The Cleveland Browns today were awarded linebacker Matt Roth off waivers from Miami, the team announced.

Originally drafted by Miami in the second round (46th overall) of the 2005 Draft, Roth saw action in 64 games with 23 starts in five seasons with the Dolphins, totaling 158 tackles, 12.5 sacks, five passes defensed and six forced fumbles. This season, he recorded two tackles in three contests. Last season was the most productive of his career, after moving from defensive end to linebacker, as he started 14 of 16 games and registered career-high figures of 53 tackles, five sacks and four passes defensed. He also forced two fumbles.

A four-year letterman at Iowa (2001-04), Roth appeared in 50 games with 26 starts, totaling 167 tackles, 30 sacks, eight forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and second-team All-America pick as a senior after posting 49 tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in 12 contests. Born on October 14, 1982, the 6-4, 275-pound Roth is a native of Villa Park, Ill, where he attended Willowbrook High School.

21853.a.jpgBrowns awarded LB Matt Roth

The Cleveland Browns today were awarded linebacker Matt Roth off waivers from Miami, the team announced.

Originally drafted by Miami in the second round (46th overall) of the 2005 Draft, Roth saw action in 64 games with 23 starts in five seasons with the Dolphins, totaling 158 tackles, 12.5 sacks, five passes defensed and six forced fumbles. This season, he recorded two tackles in three contests. Last season was the most productive of his career, after moving from defensive end to linebacker, as he started 14 of 16 games and registered career-high figures of 53 tackles, five sacks and four passes defensed. He also forced two fumbles.

A four-year letterman at Iowa (2001-04), Roth appeared in 50 games with 26 starts, totaling 167 tackles, 30 sacks, eight forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He was a first-team All-Big Ten selection and second-team All-America pick as a senior after posting 49 tackles, eight sacks and three forced fumbles in 12 contests. Born on October 14, 1982, the 6-4, 275-pound Roth is a native of Villa Park, Ill, where he attended Willowbrook High School.

This is a very good pick-up. This guy is starter material and we got him for nothing.

Zombo

This is an audition. Roth is FA at the end of the season so if he does well enough he will get a deal, no risk decent reward so it sound like a good idea. I just hope we dont feel like OLB is fixed and overlook it in the draft.

As far as him being a starter I dont really like that idea. He is a really good role player, does his job, and is tough. He reminds me a little of Jarrett Johnson in baltimore. He isnt really a playmaker but if u get to worried about the other side hell get pressure.

Hes alot better then Bowens so it is an upgrade and should help out the defense overall

Cleveland made a shrewd move in the FA market. I'm somewhat surprised. Others have said this: he can be a starter, so he provides instant impact. Plus, he can probably be retained on the cheap going forward. Good signing. Said that he has a falling out in Miami, which doesn't necessarily say anything about his abilities.

i saw this on cleveland.com, hope it wasn't already posted elsewhere.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...t_roth_adm.html

Outside linebacker Matt Roth admitted Fr iday he had a "falling out" with Miami that enabled him to fall into the Browns' lap.

Claimed off waivers Wednesday from the Dolphins, Roth was a second-round pick of the Dolphins in 2005. He started 14 games for them in 2008 and had five sacks.

But he underwent off-season surgery to repair a torn groin muscle that he played with in 2007 and 2008, and said the falling out was over the injury -- which caused him to miss the first six games this season.

"I was hurt and they were disappointed I wasn't going to be able to go right away in the season -- and sometimes when you get hurt, people don't get happy," Roth said.

"This is one of those deals."

Asked if he requested his release, he said: "It's one of those things I don't want to get into, but I'm happy to be here in Cleveland. I knew [being released] was an option and I'm happy it happened. I'm excited. I grew up in the Midwest, I'm from Chicago, and I'm glad to play for the Dawg Pound. We've got some good players and I'm ready to get after it on Sunday."

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who coached Roth in the Senior Bowl when he was coming out of Iowa, said he hopes to play Roth on Sunday in Cincinnati.

"He's going to be good," said Ryan. "We're looking to play him right away, get him in there with the rest of the guys, get him to know his new teammates. He's a smart, tough guy, with an emphasis on the tough part. That really is what he stands for.

"He's an old wrestler and he really is a tough kid, good competitive kid."

Ryan said he was "surprised and excited" that Roth was available.

"It's a blessing for us for sure," said Ryan. "Usually you don't find a guy like that late in the year. It's great that we picked him up, and hopefully, he can be a big part of our defense.

"It's just up to us to get him coached up as fast as we can, get him up to speed learning the game plan and see if he can help us win."

Ryan said he likes the versatility of Roth, who played defensive end for the Dolphins before switching to outside 'backer in their 3-4 last season. The addition of Roth might even allow the Browns to use Jason Trusnik inside at times.

"It just depends on the fronts we're in and what this guy can do," said Ryan. "He can play defensive end. He can play outside 'backer. I know he started at Iowa as an inside 'backer as well. His position flexibility allows us to play him right away."

Browns coach Eric Mangini said Roth was "tough to handle whenever we faced him in New York. I thought he really came into his own last year when he was moved to outside linebacker. It's good to have him here. We'll see how quickly he is able to get all the information and that will determine how big of a role he has at the game on Sunday."

In the final year of his rookie contract, Roth will be a restricted free agent if there's no new collective bargaining agreement, and a free agent if it's extended.

""""

Roth, 27, said he knows the injury soured things, "because we had a good relationship before the injury. After I had the surgery, it just wasn't right before going to camp. I had to get some things that were right with it and it slowly came along in those six weeks I was out."

He returned for four games, making four tackles, but said he's 100 percent now.

As for being questioned by the coaches, he said, "Coaches question everything. As long as the players weren't questioning it, I was all right. They knew I was a tough guy and what I brought to table and what kind of guy I am."

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano was vague about releasing Roth, who started 23 games in his 31/2 seasons in Miami, totaling 158 tackles, 12.5 sacks and six forced fumbles.

"I won't go into the reasons behind it," Sparano said. "I'll just tell you it was a football decision, and like any of the football decisions we make here they're very well thought out. We go over them in great detail. It was a football decision we felt like we had to make."

Browns linebacker David Bowens played with Roth in Miami during Roth's rookie year.

"He's a very physical guy," said Bowens. "Our defense is predicated on setting the edge, and Matt definitely does that. He's doing a great job.

"We don't have a lot of call in as far as our base defense, so he's able to play fast."

Roth says his best football is ahead of him and "I'm done with Miami. I turned that page. Now I'm here to prove what I can do for the Cleveland Browns and I think I can be a great player in this league."

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give this a bump after last game. I think Roth has been huge for this D. I think he has 17 tackles and 1.5 sacks in the past three games. He's no Pro Bowler, but he plays hard, is all over the field. Shrewd move by the FO.

Archived