THE BROWNS BOARD

Of course, Billy Cundiff

TheClevelandSound

Looks like he gets the last laugh as any former Brown does. Game winner against the Steelers. Thoughts on the game?

Thought it was xxxxed up the steelers scored 17 with a 3rd string qb but we got shut out with our 1st! Just goes to show how much shittier our recievers and running backs are. Overall I always enjoy watching those guys play each other ray needs to hang it up though he's really only good when he's blitzing now it seems

Looks like he gets the last laugh as any former Brown does. Game winner against the Steelers. Thoughts on the game?

I would have liked to keep Cundiff. Thought on the game? I watched all of it, and by comparison the Browns D doesn't even belong in the NFL. Rodgers and Wright would be the only players we have that would have a prayer of starting for either team.

Draft - 2010 it's defense first. You can pick up decent RBs and WRs in the second round. Too bad Robiskie's got to be a bust- if he still can't even make the active roster on a team as bad as the Browns.

I can't believe that Robo has disappointed so much. I know that many here were not that high on the guy pre draft but the thought was that the OSU / Michigan rivalry with Edwards would be a positive internal motivator - how things have turned out eh?

Back to Cundiff, I don't think he missed anything for us. Dawson's leg will be fading in effectiveness going forward, I thought we might keep Cundiff. It's a sad state to know that Dawson is our scoring MVP though. I might buy his jersey to make the point on Sunday.

Howie.

I was sorely disappointed we didn't keep Cundiff. I love Phil Dawson, but he's getting up there and doesn't have the range he once had. I was at the first Browns/Ravens game in Baltimore this season, when Cundiff was playing for us, and I knew right then how good he was. He kicked off to start the half and put the ball deep in the back of the endzone, but we got called for offsides, and they back the kick up 10 yards. So what does Cundiff do? He kicks it even FARTHER, clean out of the endzone. He's got a boot on him, and it's not like he's inaccurate, either. Just another personnel move that screwed us over.

So now we're lamenting the loss of......a KICKER?!

A freakin' KICKER?! ARE YOU KIDDING?! Unless he's a top 3 or 4 guy....THEY"RE ALL THE SAME!

You're stupid if you believe that. There are more game winning field goals kicked in the history of the NFL than there are game winning hail mary passes.

You're stupid if you believe that. There are more game winning field goals kicked in the history of the NFL than there are game winning hail mary passes.

Good Kickers Underrated and Under appreciated !! You are correct TCPO...

Give me a break. Billy Cundiff is a marginal NFL kicker. He is not going to be confused with Adam Vinatieri. I think it's stupid to lament cutting Billy Cundiff. How many historic FG is he going to kick as a member of the Browns?

Give me a break. Billy Cundiff is a marginal NFL kicker. He is not going to be confused with Adam Vinatieri. I think it's stupid to lament cutting Billy Cundiff. How many historic FG is he going to kick as a member of the Browns?

I'll lament any personnel decision when the better man was obviously cut. Dawson couldn't make a 50 yarder if his life depended on it.

The amazing thing about Cundiff, is that not only did he start out as a child actor ... he was actually working at Burger King when the Browns called.

Zombo

Yeah, and Kurt Warner was bagging groceries back in the day. Cundiff looked just fine against the Steelers, and others have made the point- he has a far stronger leg than Dawson, and he's younger.

Furthermore, what differentiates Cundiff from Vinatieri? More than likely, they both make the same kicks, from the same distances. The only difference is that Vinatieri was put into a position to win the game by his team on multiple occasions, and succeeded on almost every attempt. His greatness lies in his clutch play. He's simply had more opportunities to excel, whereas Cundiff has not. The same goes for a lot of kickers. Had they been put in Vinatieri's shoes, chances are they could have made the kicks too. It's not like the FG's were out of normal reach, in Super Bowl XXXVI it was a 48 yard attempt, and in XXXVIII it was a 41 yard attempt. I believe 90% of the active kickers in this league would have made those kicks. Now, I'm not downplaying Vinatieri, I love him, he was my starter in three different fantasy leagues before getting injured. But don't discount a person just because they were never given the opportunity.

Furthermore, what differentiates Cundiff from Vinatieri? More than likely, they both make the same kicks, from the same distances. The only difference is that Vinatieri was put into a position to win the game by his team on multiple occasions, and succeeded on almost every attempt. His greatness lies in his clutch play. He's simply had more opportunities to excel, whereas Cundiff has not. The same goes for a lot of kickers. Had they been put in Vinatieri's shoes, chances are they could have made the kicks too. It's not like the FG's were out of normal reach, in Super Bowl XXXVI it was a 48 yard attempt, and in XXXVIII it was a 41 yard attempt. I believe 90% of the active kickers in this league would have made those kicks. Now, I'm not downplaying Vinatieri, I love him, he was my starter in three different fantasy leagues before getting injured. But don't discount a person just because they were never given the opportunity.

I will cut Dawson this much slack- that FG he made against the Bills in the Blizzard Game has to be one of the greatest kicks in the history of the game. If it had been in the AFC Championship, it would be immortal.

I will cut Dawson this much slack- that FG he made against the Bills in the Blizzard Game has to be one of the greatest kicks in the history of the game. If it had been in the AFC Championship, it would be immortal.

Yeah, Phil has been known to sink some pretty memorable kicks. Just like the kick in 2007 against the Ravens that bounced out, but still counted.

I'll lament any personnel decision when the better man was obviously cut. Dawson couldn't make a 50 yarder if his life depended on it.

wrong. Phil Dawson is an absolute stud and one of (maybe) 3 kickers in the NFL that consistently makes that kick, and he'll do it from either hash and outdoors taboot. right now PD is in his prime and kicking farther than ever before. if a franchise kicker existed, he'd be it for us.

we'll compare Cundiff's average to Phil Dawson's in about 8 more years.

Archived