THE BROWNS BOARD

Drew Brees

ATENEARS

For those who were around here in 1997-98, remember how you guys all thought I was a lumbergh for stating that Drew Brees was going to be a better QB than Tim Couch?

You all thought I was crazy.

I thought we were gonna have a Bar-B-Q when it was all said and done from pre-99' predictions. Note: It's all said and done.

Ricky Williams was a good pick.

Torry Holt was a great pick.

Tim Couch and Andy Katzenmoyer were not.

Akilli who?

McNabb won the QB battle.

Joe Germaine just needed a chance. (lol)

Culpepper is still a big dumb lug.

I think I won, just admit it.

Guest berniesipe

Is it true that back in 1999, when the clowns came back into the league that the nfl gave them a chance to draft kurt warner and they didn't take it?

Is it true that back in 1999, when the clowns came back into the league that the nfl gave them a chance to draft kurt warner and they didn't take it?

Yes, he was among the Expansion Draft players ... It's ok though, we took Scott Milanovich instead.

Guest berniesipe
Yes, he was among the Expansion Draft players ... It's ok though, we took Scott Milanovich instead.

Milanovich was great, although warner went on to win the mvp award that year with st. louis. I guess you never know.

Once again good old Stan proved the adage that sometimes a blind squirrel can find an acorn.

Truth be told, Stan pimped the hail out of Brees and many of us thought it was only to knock the selection of that boy from Ken - tucky.

Brees and Favre are playing about as well as any QB can dream of playing. Watch out if/when they meet in the playoffs!!

The only question is do you think he would have had the same career if drafted by us as an expansion team?

Do you think our lack of good players in general would have hindered him?

Brees didn't come out until the 2001 Draft. My point back then was that Brees as a Sophomore/Junior was better and more prepared than the highly touted (and much over-rated) Tim Couch. Brees was also a second round pick even though he accomplished more with Purdue (First Rose Bowl appearnce since 1967) than Couch could ever dream of with Kentucky (Note: Couch never beat a ranked opponent).

So if Brees was taken with the first pick in the second round, that shows you how far we reached for Couch who was taken #1 overall among a healthy-rich QB draft (so everyone thought).

Another comparison is that the Saint's coaxed Brees to New Orleans with $10 million in guaranteed money the first year, after he made the Pro Bowl twice and posted yardage over 3,000 in three of the previous four years. Quinn was facing $11-mil just for taking 70% of the snaps .... WE ARE IDIOTS!!!!

Do you think our lack of good players in general would have hindered him?

Well, he made 7th Round Pick and former college basketball player, Antonio Gates a super-star at San Diego, then moved on to New Orleans and turned seventh round pick Marques Colston into a household name ... what do you think? Think he may have done better than Frye, DA or BQ with Braylon Edwards, Joe Jurivious, Donte Stallworth & Kellen Winslow?

I do.

Brees didn't come out until the 2001 Draft. My point back then was that Brees as a Sophomore/Junior was better and more prepared than the highly touted (and much over-rated) Tim Couch. Brees was also a second round pick even though he accomplished more with Purdue (First Rose Bowl appearnce since 1967) than Couch could ever dream of with Kentucky (Note: Couch never beat a ranked opponent).

So if Brees was taken with the first pick in the second round, that shows you how far we reached for Couch who was taken #1 overall among a healthy-rich QB draft (so everyone thought).

Another comparison is that the Saint's coaxed Brees to New Orleans with $10 million in guaranteed money the first year, after he made the Pro Bowl twice and posted yardage over 3,000 in three of the previous four years. Quinn was facing $11-mil just for taking 70% of the snaps .... WE ARE IDIOTS!!!!

I didn't know what year he was drafted, my apologies.

All good points Atenears, I just wanted to know your opinion on if you think he would have been the great player he is now if drafted by us when we were still a building team.

Back when he was a FA in 2006, our coaching staff at the time was in love with Charlie Frye, so I'm not sure if we even gave him a consideration.

I didn't know what year he was drafted, my apologies.

All good points Atenears, I just wanted to know your opinion on if you think he would have been the great player he is now if drafted by us when we were still a building team.

Back when he was a FA in 2006, our coaching staff at the time was in love with Charlie Frye, so I'm not sure if we even gave him a consideration.

What pissed me off about 2006, is that yes we were in love with Charlie Frye and Brees was facing possibly sitting out a season to recover from shoulder surgery. SO WHY NOT BRING HIM IN TO RECOVER FOR A YEAR AS AN INSURANCE POLICY TO FRYE????

It's like we are afraid to bring in a proven talent to compete with our reaches for marginal rookies. I just don't get yet. EVERY YEAR I state that we should have an aging veteran in here as a pace setter and bench mark. I lobbied for Drew Bledsoe, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, hell even Farve ... I applauded the Garcia acqusition but then we turn around and plug him into a round hole.

If Quinn and Anderson were good enough to beat out an aging Brett Farve, then more power to'em, but between Frye/Anderson/Quinn they couldn't even beat out one another, let alone a proven vet.

You can rag on Couch all you want, but for like 4-5 years, he still was our best player practically. The team around him was so poor, that guy never had a chance. And figure this, in those 4 years, he took what was just a team on paper, to a team making the playoffs. So, Couch was not the bust some people think he was. He wasn't nearly as big a bust as Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green. Nor was he as big a bust as Dwight Clark, Butch Davis, etc. where picking talent was concerned.

What pissed me off about 2006, is that yes we were in love with Charlie Frye and Brees was facing possibly sitting out a season to recover from shoulder surgery. SO WHY NOT BRING HIM IN TO RECOVER FOR A YEAR AS AN INSURANCE POLICY TO FRYE????

It's like we are afraid to bring in a proven talent to compete with our reaches for marginal rookies. I just don't get yet. EVERY YEAR I state that we should have an aging veteran in here as a pace setter and bench mark. I lobbied for Drew Bledsoe, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner, hell even Farve ... I applauded the Garcia acqusition but then we turn around and plug him into a round hole.

If Quinn and Anderson were good enough to beat out an aging Brett Farve, then more power to'em, but between Frye/Anderson/Quinn they couldn't even beat out one another, let alone a proven vet.

The problem with the Browns is that they STARTED with the very last piece that they should have chosen. The one thing about Mangini at least is that he believes apparently in starting in the middle and working out. Center, nose tackle, guards, MLBs, Safeties, RB. These are where the rebuilding should take root. Not at the QB position. (this is the Ravens and Steelers approach. BR is good, but he is far better when he had the outstanding defense, OL, running game in place when he was ready to step in).

Us bring in a Plan B? Ha! That's the way it has seemed to be for awhile, our coaches fall in love with a guy and they are gonna start him come hell or high water.

I think it's that our FO/coaches make these decisions then don't want to bring in anyone else because they don't want to have to say "I was wrong."

The way this season has gone so far makes me think that neither DA or BQ will be here in 2010. I think Mangini will want to pick his own guy.

We would have destroyed any QB that came along.

We had a #1 overall first round pick in a QB-rich draft (Couch), Destroyed him.

We had a plucky backup ready to fearlessly take on a starter's role (Holcomb), Destroyed him.

We had three-time Pro Bowler with big-time post-season experience (Garcia), Destroyed him.

We had a Super Bowl winner (Dilfer), Destroyed him.

We had the "great find" with the cannon arm (Anderson), Destroyed him.

We had the First-Round "steal" with all of the tools and intangibles (Quinn), Destroyed him.

Local guys, tall guys, fast guys, experienced guys, guys that just needed a chance, guys that we couldn't pass on ... Destroyed them all.

Drew Brees would be back in Texas working for an insurance agency if we drafted him ... he's lucky no one ever listens to Atenears.

Zombo

We had a plucky backup ready to fearlessly take on a starter's role (Holcomb), Destroyed him.

We had three-time Pro Bowler with big-time post-season experience (Garcia), Destroyed him.

We had the First-Round "steal" with all of the tools and intangibles (Quinn), Destroyed him.

Local guys, tall guys, fast guys, experienced guys, guys that just needed a chance, guys that we couldn't pass on ... Destroyed them all.

Drew Brees would be back in Texas working for an insurance agency if we drafted him ... he's lucky no one ever listens to Atenears.

Zombo

At least Tim Couch beat the Steelers. He was sacked so many times I'm surprised he is still alive. The shit team we put on the field for him was beyond pathetic. (kind of like this years team).

Zombo

Sad but true zombo ,this club is a destroyer of quarterbacks...it is the one lerner trademark that never changes..the other is safeties? Why do we need safeties?

For those who were around here in 1997-98, remember how you guys all thought I was a lumbergh for stating that Drew Brees was going to be a better QB than Tim Couch?

You all thought I was crazy.

I thought we were gonna have a Bar-B-Q when it was all said and done from pre-99' predictions. Note: It's all said and done.

Ricky Williams was a good pick.

Torry Holt was a great pick.

Tim Couch and Andy Katzenmoyer were not.

Akilli who?

McNabb won the QB battle.

Joe Germaine just needed a chance. (lol)

Culpepper is still a big dumb lug.

I think I won, just admit it.

I was a big fan of Brees in college. He picked OSU's defense to pieces with insanely accurate throws each year. I couldn't understand why people felt that he would not be a good NFL QB. I know they said he didn't have enough arm strength but I will take accuracy over arm strength. And, he was always going through his checkdowns and sometimes throwing to his fourth receiver while in college. If someone was open he almost always found them. How many college QBs can you say that about?

Archived