THE BROWNS BOARD

Injuries mount for struggling Browns

DAWGPOUND16

BEREA -- All the injuries to the Cleveland Browns this year have left coach Eric Mangini starting over.

"Some stuff you do have to spend time on you wouldn't typically," Mangini said. "Like learning guys' names. We've had quite a few new faces come through."

More could be on the way.

Cleveland could be down as many as five defensive starters from last week when it faces the Chargers (8-3) on Sunday.

Defensive lineman Kenyon Coleman's right knee injury has ruled him out, cornerback Eric Wright was listed as doubtful on Friday's injury report with a sore left hamstring and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley was unsure if his knee will allow him to play.

Coleman needs to wear a brace just to walk. Wright walked without a limp, but said he injured the hamstring during practice on Thursday and wasn't sure if he could play. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was more optimistic.

"I'm counting on him," Ryan said. "I'm hoping he can be ready to go. With their receiving corps, we need Wright, no question."

The Browns (1-10) already have placed Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers and safety Brodney Pool on injured reserve this week, along with Pro Bowl running back Jamal Lewis.

Now they could be without their best cornerback as they face a San Diego passing attack ranked ninth in the league. Wright and Pool have combined for all six of the defense's interceptions this year.

The injuries to the secondary are forcing receiver Mike Furrey into a more prominent role on defense. Furrey has played frequently as a nickel back but could be in line to start at safety against San Diego.

"I've been picking up the defense pretty well over the last six or seven weeks," Furrey said. "With the injuries in the secondary this week, you have to be ready to play in case something else happens. I feel really comfortable."

Wimbley hasn't missed a game to injury since his senior year at Florida State in 2005, when he missed four games with a sprained knee. He practiced for the first time this week on Friday and was upgraded from doubtful to questionable.

"It was a good start, but we still have to see where it's at," Wimbley said. "It all depends on how I feel later on."

Ryan said from the start of the season until now, Wright is the only defensive starter to remain in the same place every week.

"And now he's on a bicycle," Ryan said.

He joked he might call on old pal and Kettering Alter high school coach Ed Domsitz for a few healthy bodies. Alter plays in an Ohio state championship game on Saturday.

"I may have to call him to get some reinforcements," Ryan said. "His team always seems to win."

Cleveland has done little of that this year, and the recent injuries aren't helping. The Browns enter Sunday's game ranked 29th against the run and 31st in total defense.

"Our guys love to play," Ryan said. "We have some empty seats in the defensive room, but we have a lot of heart in there. I hate the Detroit game (a 38-37 loss), because that wasn't us. We're starting to play better, we're starting to fight.

"We had that one (bad) game, but we're starting to understand what we've got to do. These guys prepare every week harder than most teams I've ever been around. The thing I've been impressed with is how hard they're working to win. No one wants to hear it as fans, but it's the truth."

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dl...D=2009912050338

Archived