THE BROWNS BOARD

SECONDARY SUCKS!

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Abe Elam is terrible, just terrible. Brodney Pool is done after too many concussions. Eric Wright can cover but can't tackle to save his life. Brandon McDonald makes a great play for every four bad plays he gives up. Mike Adams is a reliable backup, Mike Furry - c'mon.

If we don't go after Eric Berry early, I just don't know.

There will be more than one safety available in next year's draft. It could be a very good safety class, if a couple of underclassmen declare.

We don't have to take Eric Berry. There are arguably two or three safeties in college who've played better than him this year.

Let's just get one of them and/or add a veteran in free agency.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Something. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the best at knowing college football prospects, but that is by far our biggest problem on the team. I think our offense is looking much better today, largely because we are without Jamal Lewis - he's done, he's looked terrible all season and Chris Jennings is even a better back now than Jamal. We already drafted some linebackers last year, whether or not they will work out remains to be seen, but we need to draft a playmaking safety for sure.

There will be more than one safety available in next year's draft. It could be a very good safety class, if a couple of underclassmen declare.

We don't have to take Eric Berry. There are arguably two or three safeties in college who've played better than him this year.

Let's just get one of them and/or add a veteran in free agency.

I agree. I like Kurt Coleman (Buckeyes - yes, bit of a homer pick) in the later rounds. He's had a great season, has gotten better every year, and is a smart, tough player. I think we need a shutdown corner before we need a stud safety.

Just to be clear, I do think Berry is the best safety in the draft. However, he hasn't had the kind of year to make me think we absolutely have to take him at the top of the 1st round.

Suh would be a better pick. Maybe Gerald McCoy as well.

yea, it's very obvious watching this game that DB is our biggest glaring need. Our defense is bad period, but what everyone has said is just true. The only two people on our entire secondary i think are worth keeping on the team are Wright and McDonald, and I truly feel both of them are backups at best.

That being said, I wouldn't be pissed at all if we take suh. But if we for some reason are 2nd-3rd overall and suh is gone, berry has to be the guy. Sure there are other good safeties, but suh and berry are standout talents. Either way will just be dominant, and would really help us out.

Then after that it's simple. BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. we have many many needs, so if the best player is LB, RB, DE, or whatever else, you take him. Don't reach for someone.

Abe Elam is terrible, just terrible. Brodney Pool is done after too many concussions. Eric Wright can cover but can't tackle to save his life. Brandon McDonald makes a great play for every four bad plays he gives up. Mike Adams is a reliable backup, Mike Furry - c'mon.

If we don't go after Eric Berry early, I just don't know.

Who was that new guy Elam playing today?? I haven't heard his name all year. Did we just pick

him up this week??

Too bad the only time you heard his name is when they overturned the fumble on the punt.

He flat out stinks!! Only Hank Poteat keeps him on this team.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

No, they are really that bad. Did you see either of the two jump balls that Abe Elam completely misplayed? No effort, weak-sauce. The corners will get some sort of a pass because of the lack of a pass rush, but the safeties are just terrible!

I am a huge believer in pass rush makes the secondary better but we DID get pressure and the secondary still got beat. Pressure isnt registered by sacks all the time, I seen hands in Rivers face a few times but if there is a 5 yard gap between the WR and DB it will get complete when you play a good QB.

With that said there was alot of quick strikes where the rush cant get do anything. Everyone in the secondary better have a backup plan or they will join the unemployment statistic next season

Our defense is ravaged by both injury and mediocrity ,even so the secondary looked pathetic and minor league ,ive had enough poteat and elam to last a lifetime ,those guys are horrible and adams is at best a backup that lacks many subtle tools..where was coye francis?

I'd agree that we didn't get a whole lot of pressure on the QB, but I don't think it would have done a lot of good...

First I watched Rivers drop back two steps, throw the ball so high in the air I would have thought it was a punt, and watched the two guys covering Gates...(neither one of them knew where the ball was)... interfer with him and he still caught it. I didn't know whether to chalk that one up to bad coverage or great hands by Gates.

Then I watched Vincent Jackson run down the sideline.... Uncovered.... and catch a 25 yard pass with nobody within ten yards of him...

Just Ugly.

If you think the DB's are bad from watching the games on TV, come see the game live in-person, and they are much, much worst than anything you could grasp from seeing them out of position on TV.

As an opposing team, I'd go to super long snap counts each pass play. Our Safeties line up 15-yrds off the ball, and with each cadence they begin to back-peddle another three yarrds. On long counts, they are 22+ yards off the ball.

Wait it gets worst ...

They get sucked outside when the OLB and Corner are already rolling that direction. Which leaves the middle wide open ... and guess what?

They get sucked inside or even worst yet, to the opposite side of the field, and guess what? A screen pass or dump-off takes place in the flat and fat 5'9" 245-lb fullbacks rumble untouch for 60+ TD's.

They have no instincts, they have no knack for the ball or play. This is where Berry comes in!

I watch our corners get themselves out of position and fail to close on balls with lots of air under them. When they do have good coverage, they don't burst or close on anything, instead they sell-out and settle for meeting the ball at the receiver and at best it leads to a tackle immediately after the catch, but more times than not, it results in a missed tackle and even more gain.

This is the worst Defensive secondary I have ever seen in the Pro's. And belive, as a season ticket holder I watch this part of the game more than any. I sat through the Percy Ellsworth bullshit and playing with 9-guys on defense for ten freaking years now ... but now we play with 7.

We need a DB ... if not two with our highest picks. There is a Safety Rich draft coming up? Great, let's trade up and grab the two best. I'm dead serious.

They get sucked inside or even worst yet, to the opposite side of the field, and guess what? A screen pass or dump-off takes place in the flat and fat 5'9" 245-lb fullbacks rumble untouch for 60+ TD's.

Hey, hey, hey. Watch your mouth, Mike Tolbert is good. The only reason he went undrafted is because he went to Coastal Carolina University and nobody had heard of him.

Archived