THE BROWNS BOARD

It wasn't as close as it looked

bonedawg

Let's be honest. We scored 1 legit touchdown, went flat for 3 1/2 quarters, and then scored in garbage time. Secondary was painfully bad. Elam, poteat, wright, McDonald, Adams were all shit.

Bright spots

WR Moore - wow, practice squad guy shows up and makes some awesome grabs.

Cribbs - does what he does. Makes u wonder how great he'd be on a good team.

Harrison - ran well, needs another rb to help him out but he has an upside

I was waiting for somebody to say this. What makes it garbage time? If we had come back and won, they wouldn't have been garbage time touchdowns. I was under the impression that the fourth quarter was the most important of the game. I didn't know the philosophy changed to "the fourth quarter- touchdowns don't count now". We scored with 2:00 left, and if we had gotten the 2-pt conversion it would have been a one possession game. Just because the odds are stacked in their favor doesn't mean you don't continue to try. If we were down by three possessions and we scored with 30 seconds left, I could understand calling that a garbage time touchdown. I'd hate to see you try to inspire your players late in the game. There's a difference between being a realist and being a pessimist.

The failure to score at the goalline is all one Daboll. Harrison on an off tackle on the 2 yrd line really!

Why didnt we run Vickers or Jennings up the gut? San Deigo wasnt exactly dominant at stopping the run.

BQ was amazing on the first drive but after the fumble he mentally broke down and his passes were all over the field.

We have to have the worst secondary in the league they cant cover or tackle, what purpose do they serve? Almost everytime I seen us get beat I'd see Adams name coming up late into the screen. With Adams, McDonald, Poteat, and Elams in our secondary we simply cant compete, all opposing offenses have to do is throw at them. By the wat Wright is pretty bad too but he didnt get abused too bad today.

On a positive note our WRs did look good. Just when i thought Cribbs couldnt catch crabs at a whore house he brings down a beautiful grab on 3rd down for a 1st. To me he still needs to be more of a RB then a WR but we are using in a more appropriate way nowadays

The running game looks so much more crisp without Lewis good riddance. Too bad we had to pass everyplay in the second half

We got pretty good pressure but sadly Roth is our bright spot on that side of the ball and thats not really a good thing.

If that second half was a sign of a mental breakdown, Quinn should do it more often.

Sure, he had a terrible third Q. Went 0-5 from the fumble to the start of the fourth.

But in the fourth: 13-22, 112 yards, 2 TDs

If that second half was a sign of a mental breakdown, Quinn should do it more often.

Sure, he had a terrible third Q. Went 0-5 from the fumble to the start of the fourth.

But in the fourth: 13-22, 112 yards, 2 TDs

ive been saying the whole time that brady quinn can get it done given a good chance to grow now that he is improving all the negative comments will keep comming because these guys love to bitch and whine and they just can't admit they were wrong. he has never played a full season and got screwed out of this season too and if for some reason he gets traded in the off season you'll see quinn become a great qb in someone else's franchise but i hope to god that doesnt happen if we blow a draft pick on a qb ill be very upset!

and then scored in garbage time.

I can honestly say I hate when people say this, sure there are some games where its an absolute blowout and the starters are pulled, but this wasnt one of them.

The browns were down 13-7 at the half. The game was not over then, the only time it was over was when there was 0:00 left on the clock at the end of the fourth.

ive been saying the whole time that brady quinn can get it done given a good chance to grow now that he is improving all the negative comments will keep comming because these guys love to bitch and whine and they just can't admit they were wrong. he has never played a full season and got screwed out of this season too and if for some reason he gets traded in the off season you'll see quinn become a great qb in someone else's franchise but i hope to god that doesnt happen if we blow a draft pick on a qb ill be very upset!

Had quinn not been mishandled for 2 years and then pulled during the baltimore game and mishandled again we may have by now known if we have a franchise qb in him or at least one good enough to avoid having to waste a draft pick on one ,BQ is progressing very fast just like i expected he would and will only get better with time on the field regardless of what craptastic schemes daboll is trying to run bq adapts fast and with every drive is gaining confidence in himself and in his teammates..

I will be pissed if we lose him ,but at this point i wouldnt blame him because of the way the browns have shit on him..mercilessly year after year..and if fats2 the corrupted version and dumbo the uncreative are still around i would honestly expect him to ask for a trade..

Had quinn not been mishandled for 2 years and then pulled during the baltimore game and mishandled again we may have by now known if we have a franchise qb in him or at least one good enough to avoid having to waste a draft pick on one ,BQ is progressing very fast just like i expected he would and will only get better with time on the field regardless of what craptastic schemes daboll is trying to run bq adapts fast and with every drive is gaining confidence in himself and in his teammates..

I will be pissed if we lose him ,but at this point i wouldnt blame him because of the way the browns have shit on him..mercilessly year after year..and if fats2 and dumbo are still around i would honestly expect him to ask for a trade..

mishandled for two years most likely this year no. Did you forget how awful he was? Mangini yanked him because he was bad bad baaaaad with no signs of improving, he was just waaaaay to nervous to play the position, and daboll's playcalling has improved substantially while he still runs a bit much on first down he has improved.

I can honestly say I hate when people say this, sure there are some games where its an absolute blowout and the starters are pulled, but this wasnt one of them.

The browns were down 13-7 at the half. The game was not over then, the only time it was over was when there was 0:00 left on the clock at the end of the fourth.

You are right. It wasn't garbage time at half, but we didn't score in the 3rd. We started scoring after we were down 27-7 in the 4th after the Chargers let up on the throttle and were just running up the middle.

You are right. It wasn't garbage time at half, but we didn't score in the 3rd. We started scoring after we were down 27-7 in the 4th after the Chargers let up on the throttle and were just running up the middle.

Exactly.

How big of a sissy do you guys think Quinn has to be to say that he plays like shite because the browns "mistreated" him. If he needs a job handed to him is he a franchise QB? Quinn showed balls on the first drive but after the fumble he went back to "safe throws". 2 yard dump offs to Harrison every play isnt going to score 20 points and thats not on Daboll.

We've spent all season saying both QB's suck and I agreed. It would be huge for future planning to know that we have a franchise quarterback. I'd say after the last 3 games....we now have some hope again. I hope BQ kicks ass the reminder of the year regardless of winning or losing. If we could end the season knowing that we should concentrate on personel other than the QB position, I would be happy.

Come on BQ...remain solid!!

How can you tell they let up on the throttle? You can't say they pulled their starters, because their defensive personnel groups were in disarray with Weddle, Merriman and Castillo out. For the most part, the same players were on the field at the beginning that were on the field in the end. If we were a powerhouse team, people would be saying "They mounted a 4th quarter comeback with little time left in the game." But since we're the Browns, people are saying "They only scored in garbage time, those TD's don't count". It's bullshit. Those were not garbage time touchdowns. We still had a decent chance at winning the game, all the way until the last onside kick.

mishandled for two years most likely this year no. Did you forget how awful he was? Mangini yanked him because he was bad bad baaaaad with no signs of improving, he was just waaaaay to nervous to play the position, and daboll's playcalling has improved substantially while he still runs a bit much on first down he has improved.

I love running on first down because when you can get 4-6 yards on the ground on 1st downs, the entire playbook is open on 2nd and 3rd. The defensehas to be worried about the run. Granted, we don't generally get 4-6 on the ground but the idea is good, the execution, eh, not so much.

How can you tell they let up on the throttle? You can't say they pulled their starters, because their defensive personnel groups were in disarray with Weddle, Merriman and Castillo out. For the most part, the same players were on the field at the beginning that were on the field in the end. If we were a powerhouse team, people would be saying "They mounted a 4th quarter comeback with little time left in the game." But since we're the Browns, people are saying "They only scored in garbage time, those TD's don't count". It's bullshit. Those were not garbage time touchdowns. We still had a decent chance at winning the game, all the way until the last onside kick.

Beg to differ. We had a "decent" chance to win going into halftime 13-7. Two onside kick recoveries + 2 TDs + two 2-point conversions or 2 TDs + 1 field goal + 2 onside kick recoveries does not = decent chance to win....oh, and that was just to tie the game.

Let's be honest. We scored 1 legit touchdown, went flat for 3 1/2 quarters, and then scored in garbage time. Secondary was painfully bad. Elam, poteat, wright, McDonald, Adams were all shit.

Bright spots

WR Moore - wow, practice squad guy shows up and makes some awesome grabs.

Cribbs - does what he does. Makes u wonder how great he'd be on a good team.

Harrison - ran well, needs another rb to help him out but he has an upside

When you're down by two scores with 4 minutes left, it's not scoring in "garbage" time.

Our late TD against Minnesota was in "garbage" time.

We had a legit shot to come back had we been able to recover that last onside kick, considering we still had 3 timeouts.

Daboll's playcalling improved? Really?

Why is it that teams know exactly what we are running?

When Brady is in the shotgun, we are passing.

When Brady is under center, 95% chance we are running.

The only thing Daboll has gotten through his skull was just last night when he decided that Robert Royal was not a pass catching TE, and he kept him in to block on St. Clair's side, which is why Quinn had more time to actually make a pass.

Beg to differ. We had a "decent" chance to win going into halftime 13-7. Two onside kick recoveries + 2 TDs + two 2-point conversions does not = decent chance to win.

It doesn't seem decent from the beginning, you're right. But we got the onside kick, we got a touchdown, we failed on the 2-pt conversion, and we got a field goal. We were down 7 with 40 seconds remaining, we had two timeouts, and had we recovered the onside kick we would have needed to roughly 50 yards to score. It's not a high percentage victory, I understand, but it's manageable. To call our touchdowns garbage time touchdowns is ridiculous. We were trying to win the game, not rack up stats. Our Minnesota touchdown was garbage time, not this one.

It doesn't seem decent from the beginning, you're right. But we got the onside kick, we got a touchdown, we failed on the 2-pt conversion, and we got a field goal. We were down 7 with 40 seconds remaining, we had two timeouts, and had we recovered the onside kick we would have needed to roughly 50 yards to score. It's not a high percentage victory, I understand, but it's manageable. To call our touchdowns garbage time touchdowns is ridiculous. We were trying to win the game, not rack up stats. Our Minnesota touchdown was garbage time, not this one.

I'll agree it wasn't complete garbage time, if a team like the Colts/Pats/Saints were in that situation, it wouldn't be out of this world to think they could pull off a comeback. My main point in my first post was more to the fact that outside of our first drive and score, we couldn't pull anything together offensively until we were down by 20 points and the game was out of our reach with time running out.

I'll agree it wasn't complete garbage time, if a team like the Colts/Pats/Saints were in that situation, it wouldn't be out of this world to think they could pull off a comeback. My main point in my first post was more to the fact that outside of our first drive and score, we couldn't pull anything together offensively until we were down by 20 points and the game was out of our reach with time running out.

I can agree with that. It's like we just forgot how to play football throughout the the middle of the game. The second quarter wasn't bad, we held them to three points, but the third quarter did kill us. The first drive was great, then the offense got complacent. The playcalling seemed too conservative immediately following the TD drive. It's almost like Daboll was so happy we actually had the lead that he didn't want to do anything to risk losing it. Then, once they went up huge in the 3rd, we had a gigantic deficit to cover. If we could have done something in the 2nd or 3rd, the comeback wouldn't have had to be as large late in the game. We had the opportunities to score, we just messed up. If Phil had made the kick, we would have gone up 10-3 in the first, kick off to them and they'd have to go roughly 80 yards instead of the 65 they got on that screen. The quarter would have ended and we would have gone into the second quarter with a 1 possession lead. Assuming our defense held them in the end of that first/beginning of second quarte, we eat up the clock with that drive in the second quarter, and if BQ doesn't fumble, we go up 17-3. They kick the field goal, and just like that, we go into the half up 17-6. It's a completely different game.

We had the chances, we just didn't capitalize. That's the difference between good and bad teams. The good teams make the most of their opportunities. The bad ones flounder.

Daboll's playcalling improved? Really?

Why is it that teams know exactly what we are running?

When Brady is in the shotgun, we are passing.

When Brady is under center, 95% chance we are running.

The only thing Daboll has gotten through his skull was just last night when he decided that Robert Royal was not a pass catching TE, and he kept him in to block on St. Clair's side, which is why Quinn had more time to actually make a pass.

Yeah I agree that he isnt perfect, but from what ive seen hes a million times better then what he was at the start of the season.

Archived