THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Improving

peterbell

The Browns are moving in the right direction

Mangini gets ALL the credit for Moore and Roth..Thats what I've ben talking about with EM..He doesn't stop looking for giuys and has the balls to bring new guys in and stick their ass in there..See Harrison picking up the blitzes yesrteday..His ass sat until he sahowed the willingness to stick his nose in there..earn you spot..no club romero here..Robo was on special teams..In every presser Mangini talks about being able to contribute somewhere besides your position..Robo is now contributing..Quinn is improving slowly but still inconsistent for streches but under Daboll and Smith improving..Jenning emergence..there not resulting in "w's I know but you see the changes taking hold and a team that doesn't quit.Hell were minus 5 starters on defense and held f**kin San Diego under a 100 yards rushing..Sproles and LT are two pretty good backs I think. I mean do you know the level of talent difference between the Chargers and the Browns..a f**kin country mile!! We competed and don't give me that garbage time bullshit, SD was working there ass off

I see this team competing and improving every week..Give Mangini time for his plan..We got the right guy.

Mangini gets ALL the credit for Moore and Roth..Thats what I've ben talking about with EM..He doesn't stop looking for giuys and has the balls to bring new guys in and stick their ass in there..See Harrison picking up the blitzes yesrteday..His ass sat until he sahowed the willingness to stick his nose in there..earn you spot..no club romero here..Robo was on special teams..In every presser Mangini talks about being able to contribute somewhere besides your position..Robo is now contributing..Quinn is improving slowly but still inconsistent for streches but under Daboll and Smith improving..Jenning emergence..there not resulting in "w's I know but you see the changes taking hold and a team that doesn't quit.Hell were minus 5 starters on defense and held f**kin San Diego under a 100 yards rushing..Sproles and LT are two pretty good backs I think. I mean do you know the level of talent difference between the Chargers and the Browns..a f**kin country mile!! We competed and don't give me that garbage time bullshit, SD was working there ass off

I see this team competing and improving every week..Give Mangini time for his plan..We got the right guy.

i agree to some extent. one decent game against a pretty good team isn't the bench mark. we have to look at the whole work of art. we have been blown out more than we have been competitive. let's not forget that. as for mangini being the right guy: we will see. again, i want him to be, but i don't know if he can be. we have to give it time.

I have seen improvement in fundamentals and effort although the talent disparity between Browns and opponents is glaring......continued buy in to EM football dogma may close gap some in short term regarding talent but the basic building blocks for championship quality team need addressed in a big way...

#1 priority Game changing defensive playmaker......Suh could be the missing component

#1 priority Game changing defensive playmaker......Suh could be the missing component

really? suh is the missing component? we have no dbs who can cover or tackle and suh is the one missing component? i'm not trying to make fun of you but we aren't even close to being one player away from dominance.

really? suh is the missing component? we have no dbs who can cover or tackle and suh is the one missing component? i'm not trying to make fun of you but we aren't even close to being one player away from dominance.

I don't think he's trying to say that Suh will be the piece that takes us to the promised land but a great pass rush can do wonders for an average secondary.

With that said I still want us to take Suh or Berry, but after watching him dominate in the Texas game, I'd prefer Suh.

not a bad post.

too bad we couldn't stop Gates as well.

but Magnini HAS to deal with the reality that he will lose a lot of games and a lot of ground while he is waiting for talented players to "earn" their time.

Yes but that is how you begin to change the culture of a team. And is probably the most important thing to do with a team like this. If the culture doesn't change, nothing else will.

I have seen improvement in fundamentals and effort although the talent disparity between Browns and opponents is glaring......continued buy in to EM football dogma may close gap some in short term regarding talent but the basic building blocks for championship quality team need addressed in a big way...

We don't need a DL but 11 picks next year will do wonders for our roster. Mangini has shown that HIS guys from NY and practice squad guys can contribute. Roth, Moore, Jennings, Trusnik, Coleman, and even Elam. Old Abe has made a lot of tackles running from the opposite side of the field after our CBs get cooked. On the side of the field Abe isn't playing on!

People, note that the guys on our team who our not helping are Wright, McDonald, St. Clair, Fraley, Lewis, Poole, and the jury is still out on Quinn. The point is, the areas of greatest concern are areas where Savage and Romeo's guys are prevalent. The areas where Mangini's guys are; like the D-line, WRs, and LBs while mediocre at best, are not costing us games. And their medioctiry is either a result of having crap players on the field with them or because they are rookies. I think we'll be okay with Mangini handling the 11 picks. But I really think we'll trade down a few spots and grab Berry and a 3rd rounder.

We don't need a DL but 11 picks next year will do wonders for our roster. Mangini has shown that HIS guys from NY and practice squad guys can contribute. Roth, Moore, Jennings, Trusnik, Coleman, and even Elam. Old Abe has made a lot of tackles running from the opposite side of the field after our CBs get cooked. On the side of the field Abe isn't playing on!

People, note that the guys on our team who our not helping are Wright, McDonald, St. Clair, Fraley, Lewis, Poole, and the jury is still out on Quinn. The point is, the areas of greatest concern are areas where Savage and Romeo's guys are prevalent. The areas where Mangini's guys are; like the D-line, WRs, and LBs while mediocre at best, are not costing us games. And their medioctiry is either a result of having crap players on the field with them or because they are rookies. I think we'll be okay with Mangini handling the 11 picks. But I really think we'll trade down a few spots and grab Berry and a 3rd rounder.

To say that Abe is contributing while Quinn and Wright are not is ridiculous.

what i've said all along about this team and mangini is that there is simply no real talent on the roster. The only way to counteract the lack of talent is a hard work ethic, something mangini I think is slowly enstilling.

That being said, despite all our problems it should be obvious DB is the worst. You can make the argument that a poor pass rush puts more pressure on the DB's, but this isn't the case for us. I saw Gates simply go over double coverage protection to make a grab over guys who simply looked lost. This type of stuff has been going on all season. The only two DB's worth keeping on our entire roster are Wright and McDonald, and even they are average at best. If we have the first overall pick, it's still gotta be Suh though. If it's 2-4, it's gotta be berry. If both guys are gone, its best player available, period. C.J. spiller would be deadly for us, but he's not a top 5 pick. We don't need to reach, there's way too many needs for that.

Good take to start this thread.

I do note that since Koki got the axe, we seem to have made some pretty shrewd waiver-wire pick ups that, perhaps, EM did and should have expected Koki to be more active in recommending considering the state of the roster from our five-year Opie-fest. Makes me wonder, outside of the ex-jets, what part Koki (who was director of pro personnel with the Ravens) had in the St. Clair and Womack and Furrey. I'll assume that EM had a pretty good read on Royal (as he did with Roth) because he faced the Bills and 'fins twice a year. The Bears, Lions and Seahawks, not so much.

Out of all the Jets, I deeply question only Poteat. But who did he replace on the roster? Terry Cousin? Travis Daniels? I've been a little disappointed with Elam . . . I expected more . . . but his play has not declined from what Jones gave. The rest of the guys are unquestionably upgrades over the guys they replaced on the roster. What everyone fails to realize is that EM didn't have the cap room to make a splash in FA. I think he kept almost every player that was arguably worth keeping or moved that player for reasonable value and an understandable plan.

As to making players earn playing time . . . I like it. Hell, Robiskie should be EM's boy as should Veikune. Those are his second round picks. But what does it tell the other guys if he throws them out there when they haven't earned it. What does it tell Robiskie/Veikume for that matter? Because of who Mangini is, if Robiskie flourishes from here on out, they'll be a ground-swell of criticism about wasted time and egos. If Parcells or Dungy had done the same thing, the story would be about tough love and meritocracy.

If the Browns organization fires Mangini they are making an enormous mistake. I have seen this team improve by leaps and bounds by losing some of the dead weight weighing us down (Lewis, DA, Royal, etc.). I have seen more in the last 3 weeks from the no huddle Quinn-led offense than I have in the last 2 years of Browns football since teams figured out DA's playstyle.

If the Browns organization fires Mangini they are making an enormous mistake. I have seen this team improve by leaps and bounds by losing some of the dead weight weighing us down (Lewis, DA, Royal, etc.). I have seen more in the last 3 weeks from the no huddle Quinn-led offense than I have in the last 2 years of Browns football since teams figured out DA's playstyle.

and here I was beggining to lose faith in browns fans lol

but in all reality, Mangini doesn't have time.

i think his job depends on if we compete/beat teams like KC and OAK.

Oakland looks quite a bit better now that they benched JaMarcus, and KC on the road isn't a gimmee either. We will have to play flawlessly to beat both, IMHO.

To say that Abe is contributing while Quinn and Wright are not is ridiculous.

Wright may be the worst corner in the league right now. Abe at least can come up and help in the run game. And most of Abe's "gaffs" are a result of him making up for somebody else's F*** up. I can't hate on Abe. Especially when he is surrounded by absolute crap in the Defensive Backfield. Wright is the worst! He is by far worse than McDonald. Wright doesn't get beat long sure, but that's because he plays 15 yards off the line. I also can't hate on B-Mac too much for taking chances when the team is as bad as it is. Wright has never played with instinct since he's been in the league and he is terrified to tackle anybody. I think people have a clouded vision of him because he dresses like Deion Sanders and refuses to go down both times he picks the ball off each year. He's a guy who lives for highlites and is just atheletic enough to play football. Abe is a football player. I'll take the football player everytime.

I didn't say Quinn hasn't contributed I said the jury is still out on him. He has improved, but lets see a W or at least a few games in a row where he plays 4 quarters. I do like that he hasn't thrown a pick despite going downfield a little more recently.

Good take to start this thread.

I've been a little disappointed with Elam . . . I expected more . . . but his play has not declined from what Jones gave.

I usually agree with you 100% But if you watch Elam in a vaccum, he is doing his job and doing it pretty well. I see him chasing down guys he's not assigned to an aweful lot. Usually from across the field. I think his mediocrity is due to the fact that he's surrounded by shitty DBs. He's the same age as Wright and B-Mac, 23, and he has to act as a mentor and playmaker while he's still learning the job. Plus, he's not afraid to tackle somebody and I like that. He's a SS and I agree he isn't a downgrade from Sean Jones but also remember, SS don't usually pile up stats and aren't typically good cover guys. All-in-all, I think Abe was a great pick-up. He looks like a good young player on a bad team. I never thought that about E. Wright or B. Poole.

I want to say Elam is 26.

To say SS dont usually put up numbers is crazy. Troy Polamalu, Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed,(plays FS and SS) Bob Sanders, and Darren Sharper would like to disagree. There is different ways to use a SS depending on their individual strengths. All of the names above can cover and play the run giving the offense fits because you dont know where they will end up.

Wright is the worst tackler in the league but he is an above average cover corner, making him the best CB on our roster. McDonald is pretty good facing the QB but has to be one of the worst CBs in man coverage. If we can get a real startrer McDonald may make a decent dimeback.

Elam is definitely 26. A blanket statement saying that Wright is the "worst corner/tackler" in the league is just another example of Cleveland pessimism overriding any sense of logic and reality.

I dont know if Wright is the worst tackler in the league but Wright, Mcdonald and Poteat collectively are the worst tackling CB's in the league hands down. Poteat frustates the hell outta me, he's supposed to be a veteran out there and he's running around with his head cut off and Wright runs away from the ball carriers and hopes somebody else makes the tackle.

Archived