THE BROWNS BOARD

First Post Here-Draft Topic

BrownRebel

Hey all, just found this board and decided to suit up.

I'm an avid Cleveland fan (all sports) and live in Mississippi. U of Tennessee played my Ole Miss Rebels here in Oxford this year. I gotta tell ya, I don't think Eric Berry is ready for the pros. That's not to say that he won't be great in the NFL, I just think he needs another year at the college ranks. The Rebs have several playmakers on offense, but none are WRs or TEs. He was getting eaten alive by our #3 WR in man to man, and missing tackles in underneath Cover 2 assignments. Our biggest playmaker (Dexter McCluster) made him look absolutely foolish twice in open field "tackles." I watched 3 other UT games and he did look better in those games, but I still think the guy needs another year to merit top 5 status in the draft.

I can't say I've seen Suh in person, but that title game was amazing. I went back and looked at youtube highlights and some stats, and I think this is the guy we need. I won't go far enough to say he's polished, but man this dude has an engine. If we stick to a 3-4 scheme, I agree with an earlier poster as far as Suh's DE capabilities. When Rogers needs a break (as he often does), we could plug Suh back into a DT role.

Spiller is awesome, I just think we can still get a lot of bang for our buck in the second or third round at RB. Plus, I think the jury is still out at our RB posistion as far as personnel.

Thanks for hearing me out, and I look forward to reading y'alls opinions.

Welcome BrownsRebel, glad you suited up ... and great topic!

Wow, I was taking the new guys word anyways and then Alo goes and pins up a 'low-light' reel. My Laptop is running abit slwo, so it was cumbersome for me to wait out the entire video clip, but from what I saw in the first three plays I want to puke. That's the same shit we see our Safeties do (play too deep, get ran on outside when up playing run support, whiff on tackles, fail to make a stop prior to the first down sticks).

Of course, this still needs more debate, but pretty damaging thread here for Camp Berry.

I too have been a little suprised whjen tuning into UT games that I don't see him make enough plays. I've commented on his highlite reels before that I've seen him ballhawk enough ducks, but wish to see him in the backfield stopping the run and blowing up plays.

Good Safety, but we most likely will have one of the top picks and I can't vouch for that reach .... yet.

I still want me a Safety & CB or two and a wagon loaded with defensive players across the board.

Thanks Rebel, and thanks Alo for sharing that view.

Berry's played closer to the line this year. While he's had his good spots, I haven't been all that impressed with his play.

He's still an elite cover guy, but I'm not sure how much he'd add to our run defense. He'll pick off passes and, if necessary, can play corner or cover the slot, but he might not be as good serving as a 4th/5th linebacker in the box type. Mays would be good at that, but he struggles in coverage.

I still think Berry will be a very good player. But I'd take Suh over him, possibly Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy as well.

Berry's played closer to the line this year. While he's had his good spots, I haven't been all that impressed with his play.

He's still an elite cover guy, but I'm not sure how much he'd add to our run defense. He'll pick off passes and, if necessary, can play corner or cover the slot, but he might not be as good serving as a 4th/5th linebacker in the box type. Mays would be good at that, but he struggles in coverage.

I still think Berry will be a very good player. But I'd take Suh over him, possibly Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy as well.

Who am I looking for Alo in this draft? I want a run stuffing, blitzing Safety that can blow up plays inside and out. That can cover and mask coverage and make the big turnovers in the secondary as well.

If you're looking for great all-around upside, Chad Jones is the guy who fits your description best. He's a little bit of a project, only becoming a full-time starter this year, but he has great size (6'3", 230 lbs.) and athleticism (former outfielder who now throws 90 MPH heat for LSU's baseball team, did this:

2009-Chad-Jones-vs-MSt.jpg

...also returned a punt for a TD in that game).

Though he sometimes appears to arrive a second late in coverage, he's not at all averse to delivering a big hit. It seems like he has at least one impact hit a game, and usually leads with his shoulder. Unfortunately, he didn't manage to do that on this one:

He'll occasionally take a bad angle in run support. And because he doesn't have the most fluid hips, some people think he'd be better suited playing linebacker. But I think he's got the potential to be a very good NFL safety, though it might not be until his second or third year in the league.

If he declares, he's probably a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

Alo,

I agree with you about Jones, though I think I'd rather have this dude out of the pen for the Tribe (I've seen him in person in baseball, and trust me, he's the real deal).

I agree with your assessment 100% about him. Super talented, project in the works. He'd be a great pick with our first 2nd round pick this year. I think he'll fall that far, and we are at least 2 years from being a serious football team again anyways. This same experiment didn't work out with Wright, at least not yet, but I think this guy will be different (Les Miles and his staff are mostly morons-Jones just needs a good coach).

After watching that video of Eric Berry, I realized he reminds me of a bull. He does not use his arms at all, taking on blockers or making the tackles. He just puts his shoulder down and runs at you. If someone could get it into his head that he has arms, and they are very useful, his production would probably increase twofold. Dude still hits like a truck though.

Berry does need to wrap up more consistently, and his size is something of a hindrance. That said, he's still going to be a very good NFL player.

Dude's been studying film of himself since he was 12 years old: I don't think anyone's concerned that the NFL game will be too fast or complex for him. There's a very strong chance that he'll make a big impact as a rookie, albeit not as big as a monster like Suh.

Here's a more positive look at Berry:

Bigger Clip

Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.

I wouldn't say he's grossly overrated, I just pointed this out for 2 reasons: I don't know if any other posters on this board have seen him live and I think he'd need more work than our high pick would merit. In other words, with us picking in the top 3, we should get a guy that is ready for the NFL (I'm thinking Laron Landry from LSU a couple of years ago, great athlete, good safety, needed work and got picked around 10th or so by the skins).

I agree that he should be picked mid first round if he comes out, which he probably will now that Tenn. is being investigated by the NCAA.

I like Taylor Mayes, safety at USC, more than Eric Berry. Living on the West Coast, I've seen Mayes a lot. This was a tough year for him because the USC defense sent about nine players to the NFL this year including all their starting LB's from last year. The USC D-line was a joke this year.

Mayes is a stud and has speed. He just did not have much help this year.

PS: My Oregon Ducks are going to win the Rose Bowl this year. OSU has never seen the kind of speed the Ducks have. Keep an eye on Lagerette Blount and Ed Dickson. They will both be playing on Sundays next year.

Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.

He won't go later than 10th, probably not later than 5th

Archived