THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 Browns vs. Steelers Moments

TheClevelandSound

What a ridiculous top 5 to not include the Metcalf 2 TD game or the 1986 Kosar to Slaughter OT touchdown after Bahr had been hurt.

While I agree with number one (unfortunately) through 3, 4 and 5 are questionable at best.

I mean a blowout of an expansion team? Top five? No way.

yeah we all know that the steelers have the refs in their back pocket, refering to the fumble in overtime, just like the last time we played em, when we stopped the bums on 4th down this year and the stoolers were awarded a 1st down. if we beat them thursday night you could bet on the fact that the steelrs are going to have to rebuild, it may take a while for them to find some more refs who like to gamble.

LOL Your a Dumbass. :lol: You like sounding like a Whiny puss ?? Greeny had a Great take on Referees today. How In the Bulls / Knicks Rivalry (Jorday Heyday ) . Greeny covered the Bulls , was a Knicks fan. said BOTH sides said the Other side was Favored by the Refs. And Both sides Totally believed that ! Its all perspective. Truth be told there a re a Lot of Horrible officials in ALL Sports. and No way would Everyone ever be Happy with them anyway. Its life. So stop slobbering all over yourself. Weiner...

LOL Your a Dumbass. :lol: You like sounding like a Whiny puss ?? Greeny had a Great take on Referees today. How In the Bulls / Knicks Rivalry (Jorday Heyday ) . Greeny covered the Bulls , was a Knicks fan. said BOTH sides said the Other side was Favored by the Refs. And Both sides Totally believed that ! Its all perspective. Truth be told there a re a Lot of Horrible officials in ALL Sports. and No way would Everyone ever be Happy with them anyway. Its life. So stop slobbering all over yourself. Weiner...

Well, I don't know about the refs "favoring" a particular team, but that call on that fumble was a BAD call....unexplicably bad. But at least I have to agree that that series of events, the bad call, the flea flicker, should be included in the top 5 'moments'. As should the playoff game in which the Browns blew the big lead. Unsaid on the video was the Butch Davis decided to go into the prevent defense in the middle of the third quarter of that game....which prevented the Browns from winning (and Dennis Northcutt's dropped pass which would have sealed a Browns victory began a trend of Browns dropping passes apparently).

But, no, the 43-0 Browns loss to the Steelers has no more place on this list than does the 51-0 Browns victory.

From a Browns perspective, yes, the Metcalf 2 TD return game, or the Kosar to Slaughter OT pass to win would be better choices for this list. Perhaps from the Steeler fan perspective there may be a couple of other better choices. I can think of a game in the 60s in which John Henry Johnson outplayed Jim Brown for one night that would have been better from their viewpoint.

I am being serious here, are you semi-mentally Retarded? It's a wonder you can find the keys.

My 5 favorite Browns/Steelers moments:

1. Turkey Jones piledrives Terry Bradshaw into the turf while Dr. David Mays, a dentist, leads the Browns to 18-16 victory.

2. Metcalf's two punt return game. Most fun I've ever had in a sports bar. Or anywhere with my clothes on for that matter.

3. Browns 51-0 Thumper to open the 89 season.

4. Phil Dawson kicks field goal as time expires and expansion Browns beat Steelers on their own turf.

5. September 17, 2000, Browns lead 23-20 clock is ticking down, I am in the front row, West end zone, as Steelers call for an ill-advised pass and Courtney Brown sacks Kent Graham, the Steelers run out of time lining up for the field goal and Earl Little jumps victorously into my arms.

Zombo

--Call me gay or whatever, but you haven't lived until a Brown jumps in your arms after beating the Steelers.

My 5 favorite Browns/Steelers moments:

Zombo

--Call me gay or whatever, but you haven't lived until a Brown jumps in your arms after beating the Steelers.

It wasn't all that glamorous. It was way more gay than that as you posted all teary-eyed about it even days later.

It was Earl freaking little, you dumb ass. It ain't like Greg Pruitt jumped into your awaiting soft arms after scoring the game winner on a 68-yard run.

It wasn't all that glamorous. It was way more gay than that as you posted all teary-eyed about it even days later.

It was Earl freaking little, you dumb ass. It ain't like Greg Pruitt jumped into your awaiting soft arms after scoring the game winner on a 68-yard run.

Still jealous?

Maybe you can get a reach around from Reggie Hodges in the parking lot if we pull this one off...

Zombo

OK guys, I have come up with my own Top 5 in the Browns/Steelers rivalry, except this is the Top 5 moments for each team, 10 total, plus a couple of extras that apply to both teams:

Steelers Top 5 moments in rivalry:

1. 11/28/1956 Steelers gain first win in Cleveland in rivalry, winning 24-16 at Cleveland Muni.

2. 10/10/1964 One of the Browns "Saturday Night Special" games. John Henry Johnson rushes for 200 yards and 3 TDs compared to only 59 yards for Jim Brown in a 23-7 Steeler win. (of course, Browns have last laugh, winning the NFL title that year.

3. 10/5/1975. The "Kick en While Their Down" game. Near the end of the game Mean Joe Greene repeatedly kicks Browns OL Bob McKay in the groin while he is lying on the ground in a Steeler 42-6 win.

4. 9/29/1978. The OT "Flea Flicker" win where the bad call on the Steelers fumble went against the Browns.

5. 12/29/02. Steelers come back from 17 point third quarter deficit to win 36-33 in playoff game.

Browns Top 5 moments in rivalry:

## .10/10/1976 Joe Turkey Jones get retribution for Joe Greene's dirty play a year earlier by pile driving Terry Bradshaw into the ground in a Browns victory. This derails Steeler bid for a repeat title.

1. 10/26/1980 Brian Sipe leads the Browns back from a 26-14 4th quarter deficit to win 27-26 to memorialize the "Kardiac Kids" s Season.

2. 11/23/1986 Bernie Kosar passes for more yards (414), Browns have more total yards (536) and more first downs (35) than any team in history has ever gained vs. the Steelers in their history (even up to this point)

3. 9/10/1989 Browns hand the Steelers their worst defeat in history, 51-0.

4. 10/24/1993 Eric Metcalf game. Metcalf returns 2 punts for TD, including one in the final 3 minutes of the game to win for the Browns.

5. 11/4/1999 One of only two Browns victories in their "return season" from inactive status was a 16-15 win at Three Rivers Stadium on last second FG, in retribution for earlier humiliating defeat in their first "return" game.

Mutual highlights, sort of:

10/3/1970 Last of the "Saturday Night Extravaganzas" between Browns and Steelers. It was a somewhat lackluster win for the Browns, because by all reports there was more action in the stands with fights between fans than there was action on the field.

11/13/1995 First Browns game after Modell's "move" announcement, held ironically at Three Rivers. Steeler fans wear orange arm bands in tribute to the rivalry.

## Note, this was not really a special "Browns moment" but is certainly a renowned moment in the rivalry. Steeler fans often point this out as a low point, and a dirty deed by JTJ, but forget that the atmosphere in which this action was taken. As mentioned, a year earlier Joe Greene had kicked Bob McKay while down, and recall that Jack Lambert had a series of late and out of bounds hits on Brian Sipe. Thus the JTJ "pile drive" was seen by Browns players as merely being fair comeuppance at the time. Now, looking back after decades, we see that Bradshaw was fortunate not to have suffered serious injury.

Archived