THE BROWNS BOARD

Weiss...my doubts

PlayoffsIN09

Other than New England, where has this guy seen success? We don't even know if he was calling the shots there. Perhaps it was Bill B. Remember Romeo was a product of Bill B. and how did that work out? Not at Notre Dame. Not even their offense was that good. So why is this guy so popular and highly regarded? I guess if your in big name organizations your automatically a big name. All i'm saying is this... I have my doubts as to how great people think he is. I am not automatically impressed but anyone is better than Dabol. My 2c.

First off, he would be the offensive coordinator... NOT the head coach. And at ND, he had one of the highest scoring offenses 3 of 5 years he coached there.. Like I said in a prior post, he is a PROVEN NFL offensive coordinator. The guy has three SB rings with NE... enough said.. We have daboll... prior jets qb coach.. what has he proven?????? Weis would be a huge upgrade over daboll.. case closed.

Notre Dame has had no problem this year scoring points. The problem is that they can't stop anyone. They lost every game by 7 points or less and every game that I watched them play, I saw 30+ points scored and still losing...that's a defensive problem.

I'm a longtime ND fan, have watched every game since Weiss was the OC there. What he has done with that offense is build an incredible machine. No one should be deceived into thinking that he's even a moderately successful defensive coach. He has no idea what he's doing, doesn't care about the players on D, and doesn't make adjustments. On offense, however, the numbers were pretty insane (20+ points in every game, 30 PPG, 450 yards per game). And he really made Clausen improve dramatically, just as he did with BQ. The running game, it must be admitted, has always been a problem for CW. In his defense, he has no good backs on ND, and hasn't since he's been there. Darius Walker and Armando Allen (the top two Weis backs) are largely trap, draw, and counter runners. Allen is getting better, but he's still not even a very good college RB. Weis is obviously good at getting the backs involved in the passing game, and has also done a good job getting WRs to block on both passes and runs. Finally, TEs have been pretty damn good in his system.

So, overall, he's very good at developing offensive talent. He will drive you crazy with some of his playcalls though.

How many points did they score in each of those games? It wasnt the offense that lost any if them.

less than their defense gave up.

its the offense' job to score points....and they didn't score enough. almost good enough doesn't quite cut it.....

I think if Weis landed in Cleveland, it would be a short-term gig for him. My reasoning here is that an above average or better team that's not worried about re-signing a brand name player (I'm thinking someone like Atlanta) might wait a year or two to see if Charlie is still on top of it. If he comes and improves the Browns, then clearly he's as good as advertised as an OC.

Just my op, but even if this happens I'm all for it. I'd take a blind squirrel calling plays over Daboll.

less than their defense gave up.

its the offense' job to score points....and they didn't score enough. almost good enough doesn't quite cut it.....

so, say a game ends with a score of something like a 70-73 loss. thats the offense's fault?

so, he created the offensive juggernaut that lost to UConn, Stanford, Purdue, etc.?

sign me up.....lol.

Don't forget losing to the US NAVAL Academy twice in the last three years and losing to the Us AIR FORCE Academy last season........this years Navy loss cost

him his illustrious coaching position after 5 years of mediocrity........

This coach had access to the best high school talent in the world and he couldn't get it done.....

IMO Weiss should not even be in the mix

so, say a game ends with a score of something like a 70-73 loss. thats the offense's fault?

Apparently so since the offense didn't outscore the other team. I guess that means that every football expert who blames the fact that guys like Fouts and Marino weren't ever able to win super bowls on the fact that defense couldn't stop the other team were wrong. Fouts and Marino just couldn't put up enough points apparently.

If you need your QB to help out your defense, and you're not happy with Marino's performance, it's on you. Not on your QB. There's a difference between an inept QB who's turning it over and not moving the ball and what happened repeatedly with ND this season. Clausen tossed 4 picks compared to 28 TDs. The offense moved the ball all over the field and scored at will. So while there is something to the complaint that some QBs put their team in a bad position, it was not the case with ND, at least not this year and not during Quinn's last two years there.

Archived