THE BROWNS BOARD

Half-million illegal immigrants are living in the US in defiance of deportation orders

Chicopee John

Half-million illegal immigrants are living in the US in defiance of deportation orders

By DENISE LAVOIE | Associated Press Writer 3:47 PM EST, November 14, 2008

BOSTON (AP) _ Zeituni Onyango came to the United States seeking asylum from her native Kenya but was turned down and ordered to leave the country in 2004.

Four years later, she is still here. And her nephew is about to become president of the United States.

Onyango's family connection to Barack Obama has thrown a spotlight on a phenomenon many Americans might find startling: An estimated half-million immigrants are living in the United States in defiance of deportation orders.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has stepped up efforts to catch fugitive aliens, as they are known, and now has about 100 "fugitive operations teams" around the country. In the past year, the teams have made 34,000 arrests, more than double the number two years ago. But there are still 560,000 such immigrants in the U.S.

Fugitive aliens include people who, like Obama's aunt, sought asylum in the United States but were rejected and ordered to leave the country. Others were caught entering or living in this country illegally, and failed to show at their deportation hearings.

Often, illegal immigrants who have been issued deportation notices are given a certain amount of time to get out of the country on their own. They are not forcibly put aboard a plane; these deportations essentially operate on the honor system.

Generally, if these immigrants stay out of trouble — if they don't get pulled over by police or swept up in a workplace raid, for example — they are in little danger of being thrown out of the country.

That galls many immigration reform advocates, who say the practice breeds disrespect for the law and emboldens immigrants to sneak in and stay.

"We are strong believers of enforcement of our immigration laws, and this is a priority area for getting the message across to this country, that if they've been convicted of committing crimes or if they have been ordered deported, that they will be apprehended if they try to hide and continue to stay in the country," said Jack Martin of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Government officials say that they do the best they can with the money and manpower available to them, and that they focus on the most serious cases, including those involving illegal immigrants who have committed crimes in this country.

"ICE has taken tremendous steps at closing these cases and apprehending fugitives," spokesman Richard Rocha said. "However, we prioritize our efforts on egregious violators and criminal aliens."

Overall, there are an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S. In the last year, the government arrested and deported a record number of illegal immigrants, nearly 350,000, according to ICE.

Critics of the agency complain of the government's former "catch and release" policy along the border, in which non-Mexicans caught sneaking across were released into this country with a date to appear for an immigration hearing. Officials ended the practice in 2006. Now, these immigrants are held until their hearings.

After paying smugglers $40,000 to get his family to the United States, Juan, his wife and 3-year-old son were caught the moment they crossed into Arizona from Mexico. A judge ordered them deported, released them on bond and gave them three months to leave.

Nine years later, they are still living in the United States. But they avoid going out in public and refuse to drive for fear of getting pulled over by police.

"It's really painful to wonder if, tomorrow, somebody will knock on your door and everything will be over," Juan said.

But he said that is better than going back to their native Bolivia, where their financial prospects are bleak.

"For me, the best chance is to provide education to my children, and that's something that I can do for them here," said Juan, a 38-year-old construction worker in Maryland who supports two older daughters in Bolivia. He asked that only his first name be used to protect his family.

Advocates say many immigrants defy deportation orders because they have lived in the United States for years, married, had children and put down roots in their communities.

"Is it worth going around with that feeling that you might be discovered? Or packing up your entire family now and settling all your obligations in the United States, buying airplane tickets for your family, moving back to a country where you haven't lived for many years, where you are worried about you are going to find a job? There's another whole set of uncertainties," said Maureen O'Sullivan, a Boston immigration lawyer.

It is not clear when Onyango, the 56-year-old half-sister of Obama's late father, first came to the United States. But she moved into a state-subsidized public housing project in Boston in 2003.

After it was reported days before the election that she was in the country illegally, Onyango left Boston and went to Cleveland, where she hired an immigration attorney to fight her deportation order. She is staying with relatives in Cleveland, said her new attorney, Margaret Wong.

The Obama camp has said the candidate did not know about his aunt's status. "If she is violating laws, those laws have to be obeyed," Obama said just before Election Day.

Advocates say the only way to reduce the number of illegal immigrants is to overhaul the nation's immigration laws.

"I ask the new president, I implore the new president to provide legislation that would allow us to become legal, to have papers," Juan said. "I don't mind paying fees, but I want to come out of the shadows."

This is a HUGE PROBLEM in this country. When I lived in Northern VA the problem was bordering on being a disaster. Illegals wandering around aimlessly. Standing on corners (always for some reason by a 7/11). Drinking Corona's, peeing out in the open, harassing the women. Living 10-15 per apartment in violation of lease agreement. Driving without licenses. Speeding, DUI, murder, rape, robery, you name it. These people have to be rounded up and deported FOR GOOD.

post-80-1226697711_thumb.jpg

This is a HUGE PROBLEM in this country. When I lived in Northern VA the problem was bordering on being a disaster. Illegals wandering around aimlessly. Standing on corners (always for some reason by a 7/11). Drinking Corona's, peeing out in the open, harassing the women. Living 10-15 per apartment in violation of lease agreement. Driving without licenses. Speeding, DUI, murder, rape, robery, you name it. These people have to be rounded up and deported FOR GOOD.

A few years ago we drove from Baltimore to Williamsburg after spending time visiting my sister in law.

On the drive, I pulled off somewhere in VA to get a cup of coffee and to recycle the remnants of the last cup I drank.

We could not believe our eyes - every shop off the Interstate seemed to be cluttered with Mexican-types. They were hanging around by the dozens. In front of every convenience store, gas station, etc.

It took me some time to understand this but I was later told that these folks were illegals who waited around in hopes of getting a job for the day.

11:00 AM. Hanging in front of a convenience store I stopped at. Drinking Corona beers. To tell you the truth, my family and I were spooked.

We were glad to get the heck out of there to get to the beautiful area of Williamsburg.

A few years ago we drove from Baltimore to Williamsburg after spending time visiting my sister in law.

On the drive, I pulled off somewhere in VA to get a cup of coffee and to recycle the remnants of the last cup I drank.

We could not believe our eyes - every shop off the Interstate seemed to be cluttered with Mexican-types. They were hanging around by the dozens. In front of every convenience store, gas station, etc.

It took me some time to understand this but I was later told that these folks were illegals who waited around in hopes of getting a job for the day.

11:00 AM. Hanging in front of a convenience store I stopped at. Drinking Corona beers. To tell you the truth, my family and I were spooked.

We were glad to get the heck out of there to get to the beautiful area of Williamsburg.

Who cares when 47 million do not have health insurance and another 20 million are unemployed because of govt mismanagement and the debt is startling and we have thousands dead in useless wars................worrying about the wrong things is so cool

Who cares when 47 million do not have health insurance and another 20 million are unemployed because of govt mismanagement and the debt is startling and we have thousands dead in useless wars................worrying about the wrong things is so cool

Yep, blame the Federal Government dummy. It's the Governments responsibility, right? LMAO. You ignore the real problems with illegals. Then you want the Federal government to provide health care to all. You sir, are a fool.

It's all part of the same problem: lawlessness, government and corporate turning a blind eye, forget about national security, etc.

If you don't mind, Rich, I will 'worry' about what I want to worry about :lol:

Actually, I don't like to worry all that much. Like the Bible tells us, not a second of worry will change the situation. Focus on what you can control.

It's a sad situation. How do you discern who is going to be a fine citizen, and who

is running drugs from Mexico, in street gangs?

I posted on this a long while back - the number of Mexican gangs in this country

would scare the bejeebers out of anybody. And they are here illegally.

I really thought Bush would have acted on security our borders.

That really bothers me, he didn't. I'm wondering if allowing them to come illegally,

and taking the opportunity to pander to them, knowing they will be indebted to

whatever party gets them benefits and citizenship - buys millions of votes every year -

a political football? That's why no one wants to really be the "bad guy" and stop it?

Thats funny Rich, these poor Bastards get a Card from our Federal government it says FREE HEALTHCARE on it. And whats even funnier is that people who cant afford healthcare are paying taxes so these guys can come here Illegaly and work cheap and take the poor ssmucks job who has been paying taxes for his Free Health Care.

Back in June i had to go to the hospital, i was suffering a bout with dvt. they wanted me to sit there and wait while my tem was spiking and I was in grueling pain. while the could take care of this young illegal with his Federal Free Health Care Card and the poor guy had an ingrown nail. I asked the lady why he was pulled in front of me and she stated. that those guys with those cards the Government pays 100% unlike most healthcare Insurance companies who negotiate a lower rate. Screw those bastards! I was in pain and needed some meds fast.

so go pay some extra taxes so these scmucks who come here and rape our system can get a free ride! :)

Yep, blame the Federal Government dummy. It's the Governments responsibility, right? LMAO. You ignore the real problems with illegals. Then you want the Federal government to provide health care to all. You sir, are a fool.

Right me being a dummy should know the 10 trillion dollar debt, the sinking stock markets(fourty percent lower than eight years ago when Bush started the carnage), GM going belly up, the banks going Belly UP, the 3 million lost jobs, the negative savings rate, average wages declining, the wars, the inability to get Bin Laden, the 47 million without health insurance, the collapsing of the housing market......... is all the fault of illegal immigrants (who are heading for the exit by the thousands daily) and of course Bill Clinton and liberals

You get it diehead.......living in HATE AND DENIAL does have it's benefits

Mr T again the big picture is what I presented above........the issue of illegal immigrants is dwindling as they are leaving.........don't sweat the small stuff find your local bread line and hope they have some soup

Mr T again the big picture is what I presented above........the issue of illegal immigrants is dwindling as they are leaving.........don't sweat the small stuff find your local bread line and hope they have some soup

Yeah I have some friends who happen to be hispanic, they dont like it that those who are here illegal to get a free ride. They went thru the process of becoming citizens and live here and own businesses and pay taxes also.

so its not really a racial thing if you want to have the benifits of the USA club you need to Join the Club.

well getting back to what john started us out with, do you think Obama will promote amnsty?

I'm not sure that is on the top of his priority list right now.

The economy will be a #1 issue for some time and then he has to address the Iraq / Afganistan issue, or not.

Giving amnesty - carte blanch - might be a tipping point in an already angst-filled country. Obama doesn't need to add domestic violence or unrest to his, already, filled shopping cart.

I'm not sure that is on the top of his priority list right now.

The economy will be a #1 issue for some time and then he has to address the Iraq / Afganistan issue, or not.

Giving amnesty - carte blanch - might be a tipping point in an already angst-filled country. Obama doesn't need to add domestic violence or unrest to his, already, filled shopping cart.

He will need to walk on glass, or otherwise he may spark something that nobody wants.

thought this picture was appropriate.

a0115884.jpg

Immagration is a BIG Problem that everyone has to deal with and it also is a reflection on why unemployment numbers are so High. I know that the black population around here despises the mexicans , they will work unskilled jobs for a lot less money, and as a side note have you noticed that there are alot of mexicans working in chineese restaraunts? there working off there passage into the states. it is a very big problem here. the new slaves?

Archived