THE BROWNS BOARD

Chad Pennington to the Browns in 2010?

bonedawg

Pennington is done in Miami after Henne took the reigns. Mangini and Pennington had a great relationship. I can certainly see an scenario where BQ is traded to whatever team wants to take on that project, Pennington is brought in and DA serves as back-up. I know it isn't a sexy move by any means, but if I put myself in Mangini's mind, I can totally see him wanting to pull that off.

...that is if mangini is even around next year.

Pennington is done in Miami after Henne took the reigns. Mangini and Pennington had a great relationship. I can certainly see an scenario where BQ is traded to whatever team wants to take on that project, Pennington is brought in and DA serves as back-up. I know it isn't a sexy move by any means, but if I put myself in Mangini's mind, I can totally see him wanting to pull that off.

...that is if mangini is even around next year.

Stupid. Mangini WILL be here next year and hopefully Pennington won't...the man is a china doll...injured year after year. No thanks

Please no more QB comps.!

Fear not mangenius loves pennington and will pick him up ,there wont be a "real" qb competition and pennington will start...so lets prepare to enjoy a real dinkin ,dunkin noodlearm...:(

You dont think crusty "roadkill" ruskell would stand in the way of mangini's progress or process do ya? ;)

Fear not mangenius loves pennington and will pick him up ,there wont be a "real" qb competition and pennington will start...so lets prepare to enjoy a real dinkin ,dunkin noodlearm...:(

You dont think crusty "roadkill" ruskell would stand in the way of mangini's progress or process do ya? ;)

Gips, what will you have to say if the browns win out. Will you give Mangini his due, or will it be same old same old until he has us at the top of the division?

Gips, what will you have to say if the browns win out. Will you give Mangini his due, or will it be same old same old until he has us at the top of the division?

Even if Mangini led us to an undefeated season and a Super Bowl victory next year, Gips would complain that the margin of victory wasn't large enough in each game.

I'm not saying that I advocate this move. I am just saying that it is very plausible. Does anyone here think Mangini is looking for the next big time passer? Hell no, he is looking for a QB to move the ball, not turn it over, and someone he can trust. Pennington has all three. I don't think we should throw away BQ either (or think he is some savior), i just see Mangini pulling that trigger. BQ may have some trade value, DA does not.

Thumbs down to Pennington but i say lets bring in Mike Vick...

PR nightmare and thats the last thing this team needs....plus he doesnt fit the mangini bill at all butchering dogs the way he did is just plain evil it honestly doesnt get any worse then that.

da salary and bonus next year come in somewhere around 10 mllion ,7.5 mill. salary ,quinns salary next year aroud 700 thousand ,do the math ,7.5 mill.versus 700 thousand ,i don't think da played 10 times better than quinn if at all..

I think for this purpose we were all ignoring the financial implications and just dealing with the on field situation. Of course, in reality that cannot be done. If Pennington is supposed to be given a 7.5 mill. salary next year, obviously, he ain't coming here. Unless he is cut by the Dolphins. Then I understand the Browns can pick him up at whatever price they can negotiate. No guaranteed contracts you know.

Mangini doesn't just bring in Jets guys for the hell of it. He brought in guys that had an immediate role on the team. Even with that, its not impossible to think that if Brady goes back to being the Brady from his first 2-3/4 years in the league, they'll want to bring in a solid veteran that can start on day one. If Brady keeps getting better, which I hope he does, than noway Mr. Pennington!

Side note, I did hear that Locker is not entering the draft this year which tells me that there is no QB coming out worth a 1st day selection. Sorry McCoy. BRING BE BERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pennington may be fragile but when healthy he's better than Quinn or Anderson.

I'd see no downside to bringing him in as a backup QB (given his recovery from injury) and letting the chips fall where they may in terms of competition. At the very least he'd be one of the better backups in the league if needed - i.e. one isn't counting on Pennington to play a full season anyway).

There's really no downside unless you're concerned about harming Quinn's confidence level - and I think Mangini's already destroyed that.

I am going to agree with Joe SixPat (braces for lightning to strike) in that Pennington, when healthy, is better than BQ or DA. That said, I don't think it's a good idea. He's had two surgical repairs of his throwing shoulder BEFORE this injury and he wasn't throwing lasers to begin with. The joke in NY was that you had to worry about the ball being batted down by rain drops. Nonetheless, when healthy he is highly accurate, doesn't turn over the football much and is very smart. On the flip side, he's very immobile and he's good for one turnover if behind because he's trying to make too much happen. If we sign Pennington, consider that you'll see eight men in the box all day and every defender squatting the 10 yard-and-under routes.

Archived