THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren

BrownsFan4Evr

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4744799

CLEVELAND -- A person familiar with the meetings has told The Associated Press that former Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers coach Mike Holmgren is visiting with the Cleveland Browns for a second day.

Holmgren is discussing joining the Browns to head their football operations. The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Tuesday because Cleveland owner Randy Lerner wants to keep his search secret. The meeting is taking place at team headquarters in Berea, Ohio.

The Akron Beacon Journal and WKNR-AM first reported Holmgren was meeting with the Browns.

Sources tell ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Holmgren is hoping to have his future clarified and secured by Christmas. He recently returned from a nine-day vacation to Mexico with his wife Kathy, where the couple was believed to have discussed his potential options.

If Holmgren decided to take the Cleveland job, sources say the future of head coach Eric Mangini would be in considerable jeopardy.

[+] Enlarge

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images

Mike Holmgren was reportedly meeting with the Browns for a second day on Tuesday.

Last month, Lerner said he wanted to hire a "serious, credible leader" to run the team. The Browns are 2-11 and have lost at least 10 games six of the past seven seasons.

Holmgren, who was previously coach and GM in Seattle, retired from coaching following the 2008 season to spend more time with his family. But on his radio show in Arizona, where he has a home, Holmgren has expressed interest in joining the Browns organization or a return to the Seattle front office.

The Seahawks forced GM Tim Ruskell to resign earlier this month, weeks before his five-year contract was to end. The Browns ousted GM George Kokinis in early November, after less than one year on the job.

Holmgren reportedly turned down an offer from Buffalo to coach the Bills, who fired coach Dick Jauron last month.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Holmgren in Cleveland talking with Browns

http://www.ohio.com/sports/79304082.html

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports columnist

The Browns search for a new leader of football has taken a surprising — and potentially pleasant — turn.

Mike Holmgren spent Monday afternoon and evening in Cleveland meeting with the Browns.

He will spend today in Berea, as well.

Holmgren is discussing joining the Browns as the team's football leader, the ''czar'' of football, for lack of a better word.

It's a job he has not held in his career, but he brings strong credentials.

As a coach, Holmgren won one Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers and took the Seattle Seahawks to another.

With the Seahawks, he initially held the job as coach and general manager, but the team asked him to give up the GM duties.

Holmgren would guide the ship in Cleveland, where he would do one job and not two.

His input and thinking would be the guiding force in the hiring of a GM, and in the future of coach Eric Mangini.

Holmgren is almost universally respected in the league, and he is obviously interested in returning to the league after taking a year off.

He retired as a coach after the 2009 season with the Seahawks.

It's not known if Holmgren would accept a job immediately; he's a thoughtful guy who probably would want to think things through. But Browns owner Randy Lerner is working hard to convince Holmgren the Browns would be right for him.

As for Mangini's future, many rumors and reports have trickled out of Berea that the win over the Pittsburgh Steelers guarantees that Mangini will be back in 2010.

What the win did was make the Browns 2-11, and Lerner has to be aware of that reality.

Lerner, though, will not force his will on the new football leader. The team's owner will have input into the coach, but he will not force a decision on someone he hires to run his football operations.

Whats up all, new account guy here. Good to be here!!!

Just heard on wknr that grossi is reporting that not only holmgren, but also his agent is in berea today. And tony pointed out that his agent only travels with clients when contracts are being negotiated?

Welcome aboard.

Why would Holmgren go back to Seattle after retiring from Seattle? That doesn't make any sense.

And as for starting over? We don't have anything now, so there's really nothing to lose. But if Mangini is willing to be led by Holmgren and they get the right talent, maybe they can make some progress. Mangini wasn't exactly handed the Minnesota Vikings when he came to Cleveland and he did finally get rid of the cancers in the locker room.

Why would Holmgren go back to Seattle after retiring from Seattle? That doesn't make any sense.

Money..he can go back to seattle see their offer ,then up the addy return to cleveland to see if lerner will match..or he will somehow feel more comfy in seattle and go there ,lets hope he will find brownstown comforting and stay...

And as for starting over? We don't have anything now, so there's really nothing to lose. But if Mangini is willing to be led by Holmgren and they get the right talent, maybe they can make some progress. Mangini wasn't exactly handed the Minnesota Vikings when he came to Cleveland and he did finally get rid of the cancers in the locker room.

I agree we really have nothing a good coach cant make better in a month of off season than mangini accomplished wasting a whole live season ,if holmgren comes he would likely leave the genie choice up to the unknown GM but regardless if they keep the genie he will have to shape up next year or he will be shipped out......

I agree we really have nothing a good coach cant make better in a month of off season than mangini accomplished wasting a whole live season ,if holmgren comes he would likely leave the genie choice up to the unknown GM but regardless if they keep the genie he will have to shape up next year or he will be shipped out......

i dont think any good coach could have turned us around in a month. The progress has been a lot slower than i anticipated esp on the offensive side of the ball and hence we were hardly competing. Im sure many are more surprised by the nature of the losses than at our losses. Hopefully, the new season brings more offense.

Bruce Drennan says, Holmgren has been in town with his agent, who ONLY gets involved

when things are serious.

I think it would be an excellent move, Holmgren is a very high class character, and really knows his football.

I kinda hope he would convince Mangini to dump daboll, though.... @@

Bruce Drennan says, Holmgren has been in town with his agent, who ONLY gets involved

when things are serious.

I think it would be an excellent move, Holmgren is a very high class character, and really knows his football.

I kinda hope he would convince Mangini to dump daboll, though.... @@

It could be a done deal by tomorrow if his agent is there.

You guys who want to keep Mangina are Retarded

Anyone who would say that is Retarded. With the team he was given it is nearly impossible for a person in your position to make any sort of accurate judgment. If you can critique a coach from your sofa and be accurate then i am willing to invest money into a consulting business. We will make a fortune consulting for every athletics organization on earth and hire only the perfect coach for them each time.

I am one of those folks who are for keeping Mangini to see what happens. After all, we kept Romeo for multiple years, resulting in 4-12...The man deserves more than a year with his program & we need continuity. HOWEVER, first & foremost is relieving Lerner of running football operations, & if we could land a credible football guy like Holmgren to "right the ship", then I will support whatever his decisions may be & I would be much more confident IN those decisions.

One bit of caution.......NO leader is perfect. Whether it be Holmgren or someone else, they will make mistakes. Let's cut them a little slack, OK?

Mike

Archived