THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday Hybrid Trivia

The Gipper

This is a hybrid trivia. Half sports, half not. The sports ones are pretty straight forward. The non sports ones come out of something else I was messing around with, so forgive me...or have fun with it. It involves identifying which date of the year certain events happened. I will start with the sports stuff:

1. Who broke Jim Brown's single season rushing record?

2. Norm Van Brocklin holds the NFL record for most passing yards in a game. Who has the second most?

3. Who said the following: "A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning"?

4. Who played in the very first "Bowl" game?

5. Identify the following "bowl" games, mostly associated with bad weather conditions. Give teams and year (or at least around the year. I won't hold you to exact years):

.....A. The Bounty Bowl

.....B. The Ice Bowl

.....C. The Snow Bowl

.....D. The Fog Bowl

.....E. The Freezer Bowl

....F. The Mud Bowl

OK, on the following, identify which date of the year the following events occurred. They obviously occurred in different years, but all on the same date:

6. First date:.... Roman Emperor Aurelian dedicates the Temple to Sol Invictus. Charlemagne is crowned Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. William the Conqueror is crowned King of England. The Battle of Lake Okechobee where the US defeats the Seminole. Civil War veterans are granted full pardon by Andrew Johnson. Hirohito becomes Empero of Japan. Nikolai Ceausescu is executed. Mikhail Gorbachev resigns, Soviet Union is dissolved.

7. Next date:... The United Kingdom is formed. The importation of slaves to the US is banned. The Emancipation Proclamation takes effect. Ellis Island opens. Construction of the Panama Canal begins. Manhatton, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx merge to become New York City. Alcatraz opens. The first color TV broadcast is made. The Internet begins. The Euro becomes legal tender in Europe.

8. Next date:.... England loses its last land holdings in what is current day France. The moons of Jupiter are discovered. The First American commercial bank opens. SOS becomes the international signal for distress. The first transatlantic telephone call is made. The Battle of Bataan begins. The Gipper is born. Truman announces that we have the hydrogen bomb. The impeachment trial of Bill Clinton begins.

9. Next date:... Saladin defeats the Crusaders. George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity. West Point Military academy opens. The Louisiana Purchase is completed. Construction of the Erie Canal begins. Henry David Thoreau moves into his cabin at Walden Pond. Alice in Wonderland is first published. Nicholas, Alexandria, Anastasia etc. are all executed by the Bolsheviks. The patent for the atomic bomb is issued. The Freedom of Information Act becomes law.

10. Last date:.... Julius Caesar defeats Pompey to become the first Roman Emperor (de facto if not in name). Marcus Aurelius dies, Commodus becomes Emperor. The Kingdom of Italy is proclaimed. The rubber band is patented. Golda Meir becomes Prime Minister of Israel. The My Lai Massacre occurs. Westside Steve gets drunk for the first, but not the last time.

This is a hybrid trivia. Half sports, half not. The sports ones are pretty straight forward. The non sports ones come out of something else I was messing around with, so forgive me...or have fun with it. It involves identifying which date of the year certain events happened. I will start with the sports stuff:

Eric "Up the middle" Metcalf

2. Norm Van Brocklin holds the NFL record for most passing yards in a game. Who has the second most?

Joe Namath

3. Who said the following: "A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning"?

Sam Wyche

Mississippi River Valley Baby I Got the Blues Band. It was halftime...

"sigh"

Eric "Up the middle" Metcalf

Joe Namath

Sam Wyche

Mississippi River Valley Baby I Got the Blues Band. It was halftime...

"sigh"

None right Cal.

O.J. Simpson

Somebody recently came close, but I forget who. But I think Joe Kapp is up there...

O.J. Simpson

Somebody recently came close, but I forget who. But I think Joe Kapp is up there...

1 out of 2 Zombo.

I think it is bernie

No. In fact here are the top 5 yardage passing games in Browns history:

Brian Sipe 10/25/81 vs. Baltimore 444 yards

Kosar 11/23/86 vs. Pittsburgh 414 yards

Holcomb 11/28/04 vs. Cincinnatti 413 yards

Kosar 11/10/86 vs. Miami 401 yards

Otto Graham 10/4/52 vs. Pittsburgh 401 yards

No. In fact here are the top 5 yardage passing games in Browns history:

Brian Sipe 10/25/81 vs. Baltimore 444 yards

Kosar 11/23/86 vs. Pittsburgh 414 yards

Holcomb 11/28/04 vs. Cincinnatti 413 yards

Kosar 11/10/86 vs. Miami 401 yards

Otto Graham 10/4/52 vs. Pittsburgh 401 yards

Bernie holds the postseason record with 489 versus the Jets. What a game!

That video guy has a link to it, pinned above.

Zombo

OJ Simpson or Eric Dickerson, The Juice did it but he won't admit it.

I was going to say another Ram Vince Ferragamo I think his name was but then I saw Warren Moon was correct

5. Identify the following "bowl" games, mostly associated with bad weather conditions. Give teams and year (or at least around the year. I won't hold you to exact years):

.....A. The Bounty Bowl

.....B. The Ice Bowl

.....C. The Snow Bowl

.....D. The Fog Bowl

.....E. The Freezer Bowl

....F. The Mud Bowl

OK, on the following, identify which date of the year the following events occurred. They obviously occurred in different years, but all on the same date:

6. First date:.... Roman Emperor Aurelian dedicates the Temple to Sol Invictus. Charlemagne is crowned Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. William the Conqueror is crowned King of England. The Battle of Lake Okechobee where the US defeats the Seminole. Civil War veterans are granted full pardon by Andrew Johnson. Hirohito becomes Empero of Japan. Nikolai Ceausescu is executed. Mikhail Gorbachev resigns, Soviet Union is dissolved.

7. Next date:... The United Kingdom is formed. The importation of slaves to the US is banned. The Emancipation Proclamation takes effect. Ellis Island opens. Construction of the Panama Canal begins. Manhatton, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx merge to become New York City. Alcatraz opens. The first color TV broadcast is made. The Internet begins. The Euro becomes legal tender in Europe.

January 1st

8. Next date:.... England loses its last land holdings in what is current day France. The moons of Jupiter are discovered. The First American commercial bank opens. SOS becomes the international signal for distress. The first transatlantic telephone call is made. The Battle of Bataan begins. The Gipper is born. Truman announces that we have the hydrogen bomb. The impeachment trial of Bill Clinton begins.

9. Next date:... Saladin defeats the Crusaders. George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity. West Point Military academy opens. The Louisiana Purchase is completed. Construction of the Erie Canal begins. Henry David Thoreau moves into his cabin at Walden Pond. Alice in Wonderland is first published. Nicholas, Alexandria, Anastasia etc. are all executed by the Bolsheviks. The patent for the atomic bomb is issued. The Freedom of Information Act becomes law.

10. Last date:.... Julius Caesar defeats Pompey to become the first Roman Emperor (de facto if not in name). Marcus Aurelius dies, Commodus becomes Emperor. The Kingdom of Italy is proclaimed. The rubber band is patented. Golda Meir becomes Prime Minister of Israel. The My Lai Massacre occurs. Westside Steve gets drunk for the first, but not the last time.

some were answered already, here goes my try

.....A. The Bounty Bowl

Buddy Ryan & the Eagles vs. the Cowboys, 1993?

.....B. The Ice Bowl

Green Bay vs Dallas 1966?

.....C. The Snow Bowl

Browns vs Bills 2007

.....D. The Fog Bowl

Eagles vs. Bears in playoff game, 1994?

.....E. The Freezer Bowl

San Diego vs Cincy, 1981

....F. The Mud Bowl

JF Rhodes vs John Marshall, 1981 at dear old Rhodes High

These had not been fully answered yet:

Jim Browns season record of 1863 yards in a season was broken by OJ Simpson, whose record was broken by Eric Dickerson in 1984, whose 2105 stands as a record to this day.

Warren Moon had 527 yards in a game. Van Brocklin's record of 554 was set in like 1951 and still stands.

Chuck Noll

It was the 1903 Rose Bowl between Michigan and Stanford.

.....A. The Bounty Bowl , actually 2 games in 1990 between the Eagles, coached by Buddy Ryan and the Cowboys coached by Jimmy Johnson where Johnson claimed that Buddy Ryan had put out a cash bounty to injure and knock out the Cowboys kicker, Luis Zendajas who used to kick for the Eagles. Ryan never actually denied that he indeed had put out a bount.

.....B. The Ice Bowl, of course, the famous 1967 game between the Cowboys and Packers in Green Bay. Still to this day the coldest recorded temperature for an NFL game. -13 degrees

.....C. The Snow Bowl, there are actually 3 games that have this moniker. A 1985 playoff game between Green Bay and Tampa Bay. The 2001 New England/Oakland playoff game which I believe is actually better known as the "Tuck Rule" game. And the 1950 Ohio State/Michigan game)

.....D. The Fog Bowl, the 1988 Bears/Eagles playoff game that was played in fog so thick that visibility was only about 20 feet. Only field level cameras could be used to broadcast the action.

.....E. The Freezer Bowl, this was the 1982 AFC Title game between the Chargers and Bengals in Cincinnatti. This game has the lowest recorded wind chill factor ever for a game. Even lower than the Ice Bowl.

....F. The Mud Bowl, this was a playoff game between the Jets and Dolphins in 1983 in the old Orange Bowl which was played in a downpour and that bad Orange Bowl field was so muddy it was hard to get traction or to identify players because the numbers on their uniforms were covered in mud.

6. First date:.... Roman Emperor Aurelian dedicates the Temple to Sol Invictus. Charlemagne is crowned Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. William the Conqueror is crowned King of England. The Battle of Lake Okechobee where the US defeats the Seminole. Civil War veterans are granted full pardon by Andrew Johnson. Hirohito becomes Emperor of Japan. Nikolai Ceausescu is executed. Mikhail Gorbachev resigns, Soviet Union is dissolved.

All these events occurred on Christmas day, December 25th

All of these events occurred on New Year's Day, January 1st

All of these events occurred on January 7th, (also Eastern Orthodox Christmas!!)

These events all occurred on the 4th of July. (Obviously I left off certain other events that would have made this answer obvious)

10. Last date:.... Julius Caesar defeats Pompey to become the first Roman Emperor (de facto if not in name). Marcus Aurelius dies, Commodus becomes Emperor. The Kingdom of Italy is proclaimed. The rubber band is patented. Golda Meir becomes Prime Minister of Israel. The My Lai Massacre occurs.

These events all occured on March 17th, St. Patrick's day

I think that was a post season game Zombo. The above are for regular season games only.

Yep ... that's what I said, postseason, I was setting th eother guy straight.

Zombo

--I think the Gipper is still a little groggy from celebrating the big win...

Archived