THE BROWNS BOARD

Massaquoi is horrible at adjusting to the ball

ATENEARS

I don't think I have ever seen a highly touted receiver adjust to deep balls as poorly as Massaquoi.

Along this same line, McDonald is even worst. I can not believe how many times this year where he has had excellent coverage, only to somehow find seperation from his man at the point the football is on it's way down. Today he was pushed and it should have been offensive pass interferance, but the guy just does not play well in those jump ball situations.

and to add, how many of the balls thrown to him were easily catchable ?

Yesterday, none. The Lions game a month ago, he could have had two TDs, but doesn't adjust well.

I'm not impressed either...our WR crop is a lot like the expansion years.

I can't remember Massaquoi ever being "highly touted".

Coming out of high school, maybe. But MoMass was mostly a disappointment at Georgia and a likely 4th round pick before he wowed teams during private workouts. Brian Daboll reportedly said that Massaquoi had the most impressive workout he'd ever seen.

But all the stuff we've seen, both good and bad, was there for college scouts for spot on film. For instance, check out this scouting report I posted in a thread about Massaquoi.

A few snippets:

Competitiveness: Massaquoi has decent toughness and assertiveness on the field, and he does not seem to mind going over the middle to get to the tough throws. He will never be a team's go-to player due to concentration lapses, but does well playing in a supportive role. He is a good presence in the locker room and a respected leader that the younger players look up to. He will challenge teammates to perform at a high level and will not hesitate to sacrifice himself when called upon to block and play on the back side. He will also compete after contact, but you would like to see him become more aggressive fighting for jump balls (needs to time his leaps better). GRADE: 6.1

Work Habits: Massaquoi is the type of player who will do the little extra things on his own to get better. He has tremendous talent, but has yet to show consistency in his play. He is a coachable team player who can be considered leadership material. He is not the type who will let a bad play linger, but the inconsistency in his game is frustrating. GRADE: 5.9

[..]

Compares To: KEARY COLBERT, Detroit -- Massaquoi had a banner senior season, but the memory lingers of all those balls he dropped or left on the ground throughout his career. If you have a quarterback like Matthew Stafford, one of the few power arms in the college game, you would hope that Massaquoi would have had eye-opening numbers. He has adequate quickness, lots of concentration lapses and while he is a smart player with good work ethic, a position coach has to be wondering if it will be worth the frustrating performances sandwiched around a good one. Just take a look at his game-by-game log as evidence of his inconsistency.

I think a few here got stuck on my 'highly touted' reference ... afterall, he is a rookie starting as an NFL Team's #1 Receiver. I believe my reference is about him being ready for such a spot and a second round draft pick ... obviously Camp Mangini had him highly touted.

and to add, how many of the balls thrown to him were easily catchable ?

Massaquoi has very good athleticism, very little receiving skill.

Cannot adjust to the ball, cannot catch.

On the season, he has: 88 targets (19th most), 30 catches, 7 drops (tied for 12th most in the league). He is just not a WR1 in the NFL. He could be a very nice complement to a good possession WR or a legit WR1. I'd rather spend a bit of money on a veteran WR (nothing crazy) than spend a pick on trying to fill a top WR spot.

Some WRs who interest me:

Derrick Mason: Most expensive guy on this short list, but he's a proven talent even at his age. Should finish with 70+ receptions, 1000 yards this season. Earning $3m this season.

Chris Chambers: makes incredible catches, does good things with the ball after the reception. Averaging 17.6 yards per catch and has 4 TDs in 7 games with KC this year. Earning $4.55m this season, but that will fall. Too inconsistent across his career to warrant that kind of money again, but he was electric in Miami (300 catches, 4400 yards, 39 TDs in his first five seasons).

Mark Clayton: 33 reception (23 for first downs), 2 TDs this season. He's earning $2m this season.

I'm not sure if the first INT was even thrown to him, as it landed somewhere between two of our receivers. However, watch the replay and you will see Massaquoi continuing in his deep route as his defender broke off to come back for the duck that Quinn threw.

I get the feeling that Massaquoi feel sthat if the pass don't hit him in stride, he ain't in the play.

I sure as hell wouldn't want the little bitch as a gunner on Special Teams.

Archived