THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren questions

Westside Steve

Anyway my prediction was wrong.

(about Lerner as pawn against Seattle)

But though I'm not now and never have been a huge lover of Holmgren I do think he is a football professional and should still be in touch with the modern day game,.

He's not a relic from days of yore like if we'd hired Bernie or Sam (or in Baltimore mode Marchibroda).

So some observations.

In business there is a school of thought that if a new owner buys a restaurant his first job should be firing present management whether or not they are competent.

You want to eliminate the "well this is how we did it before" comments.

Two will he feel the need to make this his own territory by running off the older ex alpha males in Kosar and Jim Brown?

(not to mention Ryan and Mangini) like Stan asked.

He could keep them on the way Caesar kept Herod and Caiphas.

If they play ball it will smooth out the transition.

So would kissing up to the press. No need to piss them off and never get a fair shake on paper or airwave again.

Can Mangini be sold on Holmgrens system anbd vice versa.

If not is Mangini versatile enough to run a system other than his own with enough enthusiasm to make it believeable?

With 11 picks the players will be starting under the new team and won't have any bad habits to break.

Can they mesh with the second team players we see playing at the top of their game today?

WSS

Anyway my prediction was wrong.

(about Lerner as pawn against Seattle)

But though I'm not now and never have been a huge lover of Holmgren I do think he is a football professional and should still be in touch with the modern day game,.

He's not a relic from days of yore like if we'd hired Bernie or Sam (or in Baltimore mode Marchibroda).

So some observations.

In business there is a school of thought that if a new owner buys a restaurant his first job should be firing present management whether or not they are competent.

You want to eliminate the "well this is how we did it before" comments.

Two will he feel the need to make this his own territory by running off the older ex alpha males in Kosar and Jim Brown?

(not to mention Ryan and Mangini)

Or

Will he keep them on the way Caesar kept Herod and Caiphas?

Can Mangini be sold on Holmgrens system anbd vice versa.

If not is Mangini versatile enough to run a system other than his own with enough enthusiasm to make it believeable?

With 11 picks the players will be starting under the new team and won't have any bad habits to break.

Can they mesh with the second team players we see playing at the top of their game today?

WSS

I don't think you need to "throw the baby out with the bathwater." Once Mangini and Holmgren dig into the situation they can find out if their philosophies are close enough to be compatible or if the coach needs to go. Sometimes tweaking is what needs to happen.

Playing ball is what its gonna be all about for kosar ,brown and even mangini..

Mangini is the biggest concern here..

We know mangini is full of more bullshit than a bull and theres a very good chance he will "play holmgrens fiddle" extremely well but like steve asks ,if mangini convinces holmgren he can incorporate his new system can he actually initiate and effectively deliver on said new system?

So many relevant questions right now and we have no solid answers yet..

Could mangini resign to avoid being terminated if himself and holmgrem/GM cant agree to something?

Will holmgren simply act as a president and get a GM that accommodates mangini and buy into mangini's plan? Or will he get a GM that only buys into holmgrens ideas and fires genie?

I think a relevant move nobody is talking about is keenan being transitioned to "chief financial officer" its really looking like randy is doing it right this time at least as far as organizational structure goes ,now all we need to know is if holmgren is even going to hire a GM and legitimize the organization or act as his own GM..

Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusions on "As the Browns world turns"...;)

It would probably be best if Kosar stepped aside right now and let the new boss come in and start making the changes that he was hired to do.

We dont need another diminishing skills argument aka. Billy Bellichoke. Its time to stay professional and become a team from the front office all the way down to the man who writes the parking tickets at the Browns facility in Berea.

I agree WSS. Jim Brown is not about to start zippin his lip now at this stage in his game.

On another note:

I think we might all be surprised at how well the team that is in place meshes with the new boss. I don't think Randy suddenly turned face and is admitting he made a mistake in hiring EM (which I personally do not think was a mistake). EM may have had more influence in this decision than we will ever know.

i know it may be a stretch, but perhaps he is more concerned with the success of the team than his own personal agenda and suggested that someone to oversee the operations be hired. It would be extremely egotistical for someone with so little head coaching experience at such a young age to believe that he could run a team from top down with absolute power. I just do not see it. Not from his actions nor his words.

The team is playing pretty hard, EM has made adjustments to get responses, not always mistake free but adjustments all the same. This shows me that he wants to win more than he wants to inflict his personal agenda on people. Call me crazy but i think once the Kokinis decision was made the two men discussed where this team was going and this was decided upon with EM's influence.

I say Mangini is still here to start next season.

I agree WSS. Jim Brown is not about to start zippin his lip now at this stage in his game.

On another note:

Call me crazy but i think once the Kokinis decision was made the two men discussed where this team was going and this was decided upon with EM's influence.

I say Mangini is still here to start next season.

Hey crazier stuff goes on all the time.

That could be the case and if so, maybe EM can sell his vision to Holmgren.

It really is about buliding a better system so (besides human nature) there's no real reason MH and EM shouldn't be on the same page.

WSS

Archived