THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns avoid blackout for third time this season

ATENEARS

Cleveland Browns avoid blackout for third time this season

By Mary Kay Cabot

December 26, 2009, 1:06PM

BEREA, Ohio -- For the third time this season, the Browns avoided a local television blackout by purchasing the remaining seats, ensuring that Sunday's 1 p.m. game against the Raiders will be televised on WOIO Channel 19.

The Browns will distribute the tickets to local civic organizations, such as the USO. Because of the Christmas holiday, the Browns received a 48-hour extension until 1 p.m. Saturday to avoid the blackout.

The Browns and their television partners joined forces to avoid blackouts for the Nov. 16 game against the Ravens and the Dec. 6 game against the Chargers.

The last time the Browns were blacked out was the final game of the 1995 season, before the team moved to Baltimore.

The Browns also have seats remaining for the season finale Jan. 3 against the Jaguars.

Tickets for Sunday's game can be purchased through one of the following methods:

1. www.ticketmaster.com

2. Ticketmaster toll free automated (800) 745-3000 or TTY (800) 359-2525

3. All local Ticketmaster locations.

4. Cleveland Browns Stadium box office, which opens at 9 a.m. Sunday

Good move, though I don't see how "buying" your own tickets should count...not that I am against the locals seeing the game.

I guess my point is why would you ever have a black-out? It doesn't help a club to not be on television in the local market.

That, and when you set this precedent, people will begin to expect it, making it harder to sell tickets.

I can understand the TV station wanting it on for the advertising dollars and not having to pull out Gentle Ben re-runs to fill the 3 hours...those would be tough ads to sell. I can see them buying seats to promo off.

I wonder what the limit is before other owners would begin to get chapped...a few hundred tickets...a few thousand??

The last time the Browns were blacked out was the final game of the 1995 season, before the team moved to Baltimore.

The Browns also have seats remaining for the season finale Jan. 3 against the Jaguars.

Sooo.... If I'm Randy Lerner and Mike Holmgren, am I pleased with the state of the Browns under Mangini? Even in games that they SHOULD win the fans support Mangini so much that... they don't even sell out a game and a blackout looms.

$$ is one of the most important things to a football owner. Mangini has this team on a "roll" coming off a hard fought win against the Chiefs and yet its thil much effort to sell out the game?

This may be one of the biggest factors working against Mangini. Fans aren't fooled. They see wins against the Chiefs, Bills - and potentially Raiders and don't feel like the team is necessarilly headed in the right direction for some reason.

Sooo.... If I'm Randy Lerner and Mike Holmgren, am I pleased with the state of the Browns under Mangini? Even in games that they SHOULD win the fans support Mangini so much that... they don't even sell out a game and a blackout looms.

$$ is one of the most important things to a football owner. Mangini has this team on a "roll" coming off a hard fought win against the Chiefs and yet its thil much effort to sell out the game?

This may be one of the biggest factors working against Mangini. Fans aren't fooled. They see wins against the Chiefs, Bills - and potentially Raiders and don't feel like the team is necessarilly headed in the right direction for some reason.

It's you who's not fooling anyone. We won 3 games, we still suck, and it's going to be in the 20's or 30's for both these games. Not even your beloved Patriots would sell out if they were in our shoes.

Yeah, the Bengals should sh*tcan Marvin Lewis because they were facing a potential blackout, too. That's all on the coach. That's why the fans aren't going, because of Mangini. Yep, it's all him. I'm going to the game tomorrow in spite of Mangini.

Joe, seriously, we support the BROWNS. Eric Mangini, Marty Schottenheimer, Sam Rutigliano, and Paul Brown have always been secondary to our love of the BROWNS.

Take your Mangini hate elsewhere. I'm sure you'll have full opportunity to do that once the axe falls, undeservedly so, on our head coach after the season.

Your a total idiot. Quit stalking Mangini and follow the Patriots.

Must be nice here in Lima we are forced to watch the Bungles! Local CBS says that Network and NFL are forcing them to show playoff relevant games despite their request to carry the Browns. Once again it's all about misguided greed and not listening to what the people want! These guys should be in politics!!!

Archived