THE BROWNS BOARD

JJ Hickson

Kosar_For_President

He's an interesting player, but I'm definitely open to trading him. I'd rather have him in a package that gets us an established player...but Randolph could be really good. Like a mix of Varejao and Josh Smith.

Hickson shows flashes of being that perfect pick and roll partner for LeBron...but he looks a long ways away from being a legitimate starting PF. He seems terrible positionally, not a real rebounder and he gets killed by the other skilled 4s.

JJ might have better upside as a potential 20 ppg guy, but he's a ways off and could end up as a one dimensional player. Randolph is ready to be a consistent player now, and yeah he might not be that dominant low post scorer we need, but he'd be a fantastic player for us with his size, athleticism and all-around game (per-36 minute stats - 18 points, 10 boards, 2.4 blocks, 1.3 steals, 82% FTs). And he's a year younger than Hickson.

And here's the Windhorst article on trade possibilities from a while ago, if anyone missed it.

While the team was deeply involved in trade talks for Stephen Jackson last month, getting a shooting guard is not the team's highest priority, several league sources said. While that remains something the team may look at, right now the Cavs are focused on trying to get a good-shooting power forward.

This has been a mission since last summer when the Cavs tried and failed to sign several players -- including Channing Frye, who signed with the Phoenix Suns instead. They also made a play for Hakim Warrick and talked to Linas Kleiza, but Warrick chose the Bucks and Kleiza signed overseas.

With the constant need to put shooters on the floor around LeBron James and the strength of top opponents at this position -- Rasheed Wallace of the Celtics, Lamar Odom of the Lakers and Rashard Lewis of the Magic in particular -- this continues to be a position of need.

The Cavs are targeting several players believed to be on the trade market. Multiple sources said the team has been in touch about the following:

• Anthony Randolph, Warriors: The young, tall and talented Randolph has been an enigma. He's had some excellent games but has had steady run-ins with Warriors coach Don Nelson and his playing time has varied. Is he being held back because of his immaturity or because Nelson hasn't managed him as well as he could? There are differing opinions.

One thing that is sure, says a source, is the Cavs' interest in giving it a try. This week rumors emerged that the Warriors would be willing to trade Randolph and the Cavs have announced their interest. Cavs coach Mike Brown fell in love with Randolph before his rookie season after draft workouts and seeing him at summer league.

The Cavs and Golden State have already had extensive trade talks this year, for Jackson, and things could re-kindle in a package around Randolph.

• Troy Murphy, Pacers: According to multiple sources, there's an interest from both parties for the prototypical stretch forward. Murphy hasn't been on the best terms with the Pacers, who are losing lots of money and still owe Murphy $12 million next year. Murphy is averaging 13 points and nine rebounds this season and the 6-11 big man is a career 40 percent 3-point shooter. Those are good numbers but perhaps not enough for the Pacers, who have a losing record and a $65 million payroll.

The downside to Murphy is that he's not a good defender. But he would fit well on the floor with Anderson Varejao or Shaquille O'Neal because of his ability to hit the outside jumper. Plus he's an excellent pick-and-pop player, which makes him a good match to play with James and Mo Williams in halfcourt situations.

Murphy may not be the Cavs' first choice, but he's probably going to be one of the best players available and it is something the team is already studying.

• Antawn Jamison, Wizards: Right now Washington, says a league executive, is not ready to do anything with its roster despite a poor start. One of the reasons is that because of injuries, the Wizards are without key off-season addition Mike Miller. But there's another factor at play that may decide what happens with the Wizards' future.

Team owner Abe Pollin's death was a huge blow to the franchise. Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, whose company owns 44 percent of the Wizards and the Verizon Center, has the right to buy the rest of the team and the arena. Leonsis has said he intends to do just that.

The question is when Leonsis will finalize the purchase and just what changes he'd want to make. With an $80 million payroll, a losing record and new management, the Wizards could be ripe for cost-cutting and rebuilding. Jamison is having a great year, but has $28 million and two years left on his contract after this season. If the Wizards get to the point where they have to make a move, trading Jamison for expiring contracts could get them around $10 million under the salary cap next summer.

The Cavs have made trade proposals in the past for Jamison and will do so again. If Jamison is ever traded, expect the Cavs to push hard to be the team. He fits in nearly perfectly with the type of player the Cavs want both on the floor and off. Like Murphy, he's not a great defender. But unlike Murphy, Jamison can create his own shot offensively.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...o_assess_r.html

• 2 weeks later...
I like JJ and hope we keep him but is it me or does he drop alot of balls. I mean rebounds and passes that he can not handle. I thought maybe he just had small hands?

that's the one thing that annoys me about hicks, he has the fumbles. alot of the time, the guy just can't get a grip.

i'm not saying i would like to see him traded, but if the right offer came along, so be it.

JJ Hickson doesn't do much for me, I'm interested in any solid player we could get for him. I agree he could be something down the road and if Lebron wants to stay here he better speak-up (even if behind closed doors) because we are going to sell the farm to win it all this season come the trade deadline. If we have more than this year with Lebron than we can look to wait to develop guys like Hickson and build a dynasty.

• 4 weeks later...

Hickson is coming on strong....and you are constantly seeing him improve. Hell, the guy should only be a junior in college, he's still growing into his body. And Hickson is explosive as hell, if he continues to work with Lebron during the offseason and improve exponentially as he has the past two years, we've really got a player here....and a play maker: did you see that dunk over Wade and then rejecting Wade minutes later! Come 'on man.

Hickson is coming on strong....and you are constantly seeing him improve. Hell, the guy should only be a junior in college, he's still growing into his body. And Hickson is explosive as hell, if he continues to work with Lebron during the offseason and improve exponentially as he has the past two years, we've really got a player here....and a play maker: did you see that dunk over Wade and then rejecting Wade minutes later! Come 'on man.

Agreed. I think he will be an all-star in 2-3 years. He just has to learn not to turn the ball over as much. I think that will come from learning about the offense more.

Agreed. I think he will be an all-star in 2-3 years. He just has to learn not to turn the ball over as much. I think that will come from learning about the offense more.

I've always been a person that learns best from experience and JJ Hickson so far has shown us that he's the same way...as his minutes have increased, his turnovers have decreased and his play-making presence has dramatically INCREASED! He's out there playing w/some serious intensity on both ends of the floor and it would be a huge mistake for the Cavs to include JJ in a trade.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as 2-3 years from being a all-star. That would only put him at 22 years old?! I think we've finally found the replacement for F*%$ing Boozer....think about it, the guy plays hard, provides a post presence, cuts great to the hole, is contributing big-time on the glass both offensively and defensively, and is working on a decent jump shot...he merely doesn't have the four years of college playing time that made Boozer a smarter player. But, in a couple of years, JJ could be far greater at the same point in his career that Boozer was. I don't know if he's going to be a participant in the "Freshman vs. Sophomore" game, but if he isn't on the list David Stern needs to send him a invite, cuz he's becoming one of the most electrifying players in the league!

Good article from Windhorst

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As negotiations hit their homestretch ahead of next week's trade deadline, there seems to be a point crystallizing when it comes to the Cavaliers' position.

League executives who have been speaking with the Cavs and other sources also involved in talks say that whether or not the Cavs make a deal may come down to J.J. Hickson. Simply, several teams want Hickson included in any trade package and, to this point, the Cavs have been balking at many of them. Hickson is not untouchable, but the team has made it clear in talks that it would take a special offer to get him.

The Cavs had hoped to force some teams to make a decision on offers by this week, prior to the All-Star Game. But right now, executives say, the market is frozen as everyone is waiting for the first move. The Cavs, however, have stood firm to the position that they are willing to take on money past this season but unwilling to offer up their talented young forward.

The Cavs have also been reluctant to give up their first-round pick for this draft in talks as well, sources said.

There is an easy explanation. With the Cavaliers serving as buyers in a market in which teams are working hard to reduce payrolls, they are attempting to use leverage and wait on teams to bend to make a pure money deal. In other words, exactly how they traded for Shaquille O'Neal last summer.

By Feb. 18, the last day teams can clear off salary for next season, holding firm and not offering Hickson might work with teams desperate to save millions. Or it might not as they go with other options.

Playing into the decision is the support stars LeBron James and O'Neal have shown in Hickson. Both players have taken Hickson under their wing and both would likely be consulted about major trades at this point.

"We're pretty good as we are," O'Neal said. "I know I'm on the presidential cabinet with LeBron, but the Senate controls everything. That's [Danny] Ferry and Dan [Gilbert] and [assistant general manager] Lance [blanks] and they're going to do what is best with the team."

According to sources, the Cavs have made some progress in talks with the Indiana Pacers over power forward Troy Murphy. But the Pacers, like many teams, still want Hickson. The Pacers, a source said, are also in talks with the Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings involving Murphy and both teams can offer expiring contracts.

The Cavs have kept in touch with the Washington Wizards in talks about Antawn Jamison and the Philadelphia 76ers about Andre Iguodala, but neither appear close. The Wizards are sending out signals that they want to keep Jamison.

Wally still an option: Former Cav Wally Szczerbiak has been working as a college basketball analyst this season for CBS College Sports Network. But in a phone interview from his New York area home Tuesday, Szczerbiak said he's still rehabbing from knee surgery and would take part in a sign-and-trade deal if one develops before next week.

The Cavs have Szczerbiak's "Bird" rights, meaning they can use him as part of a trade. It would be an option if the Cavs wanted to make a significant deal without trading Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Such a deal might make sense, because it could be pro-rated.

"I'm still open do it, I've stayed in shape and I'm ready and willing," Szczerbiak said. "I'm leaving it in my agent's hands and the dialogue is open."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...deadline_t.html

I just want to say JJ Hickson you can't shoot the ball worth shit, but you are the man. The block on Howard made the whole Arena explode. The kid is bringing intensity to this team. Please do not trade him. In 2 years he is going to be a monster of a player.

Archived