THE BROWNS BOARD

Benching Peyton Manning

BrownIndian

So what do you think people ?

Colts were unbeaten. Then Jim Caldwell decides to bench P.M. in the 3rd quarter after securing a 15-10 lead over the Jets. Well, then the colts lost the game and now he is getting blamed.

If i was Jim Caldwell I would have done the same. The primary goal was to win the Super Bowl and that only be done with a healthy Peyton. With Rex Ryans D playing hard I do not see any point in risking ur best player for no reason.

What do you guys think ?

Guest Metcalf_FTW

TERRIBLE DECISION! MOMENTUM KILL ENTERING THE PLAYOFFS BY AN IGNORANT FIRST-YEAR COACH.

Just look at what has happened to the Saints, Vikings and Broncos after their undefeated seasons were stopped. The Saints lose to THE BUCS after the Cowboys, Vikings get crushed by Panthers and Cardinals (which is not that understandable, both good teams) and after the Broncos were 6-0 they are one loss from missing the playoffs!!!

I really think this was a bad move, and I am rooting for the Colts to go all the way. Anyone remember last season when our defense allowed Manning only six points and we still lost?

i'm not worried for teams like the vikings, colts, saints, etc.

it is VERY hard, if not impossible to carry momentum throughout a 16-game regular season and through the whole playoffs.

(read: NE Patriots). It's okay to have a"let down" and learn from a loss.

better to have your first loss in regular season than post-season.

With that said, the Chargers and Colts are two teams that are constantly perfoming well in the regular season (the past, what 5-8 years?), and yet have very little to show for it, super bowl wise.

Sad.

Not fair to the fans. You want rest players? Why not just forfeit, and give the paying customers a refund for putting a second rate product on the field?

& it's unfair to the other teams trying to get into the playoffs to give the Jets a break. Or you forget the Browns got shafted a couple of years ago when Indy pulled the same stunt against the Titans?

Not fair to the fans. You want rest players? Why not just forfeit, and give the paying customers a refund for putting a second rate product on the field?

& it's unfair to the other teams trying to get into the playoffs to give the Jets a break. Or you forget the Browns got shafted a couple of years ago when Indy pulled the same stunt against the Titans?

I disagree. Do the fans deserve to see every starter on the field for every play of every game? Caldwell pulled the starters in the third quarter; does that mean that the fans deserve a 45% refund? To borrow a quote from Bill Russell, teams owe the fans the same thing that the fans owe them--nothing. They pay for the right to watch a team play; and they got it. To put it another way, let's say Caldwell "plays to win" and leaves Manning in with, say, a two touchdown lead with four minutes left in the game. The blitz-happy Jets get to him and hurt his knee. How many of the fans that were outraged that they didn't get the win that was promised on their ticket would shrug and go, "Oh well, at least they were still pushing in a meaningless game...I'm sure Painter will do well in the playoffs, and if he doesn't, them's the breaks."

Of course they wouldn't--they'd be furious because the coach left a guy in a position to get hurt in a game that means 1000% less than the games in the playoffs. The Colts fans will whine for a while--and ESPN will run daily polls to see just how many casual fans of other teams feel "betrayed" by the Colts (and it will be a lot), but I'm guessing that the next time the Colts play at home, the people in Indianapolis will find it in their hearts to trudge down to the stadium and go through the motions of watching the #1 seed play in the divisional round of the playoffs.

For me, the only valid question with regards to the Colts is whether or not it will help them come playoff time. It might, but my hunch is that it was more about keeping guys from getting hurt than getting them rest.

As for the other teams, screw them. You don't want to have to rely on another team to play its starters so that you can make the playoffs? Here's a novel idea--win more games. The Colts didn't keep the Browns from making the playoffs two years ago, the Browns did. Want to make the playoffs? Don't choke against the Raiders. And the Bengals. And the Cardinals. And beat the Steelers. Do those things, and you don't have to worry about someone doing your job for you in a meaningless (for them) game at the end of the season. If you don't do them, then screw off and wait until next year.

Dennis

I disagree. Do the fans deserve to see every starter on the field for every play of every game? Caldwell pulled the starters in the third quarter; does that mean that the fans deserve a 45% refund? To borrow a quote from Bill Russell, teams owe the fans the same thing that the fans owe them--nothing. They pay for the right to watch a team play; and they got it. To put it another way, let's say Caldwell "plays to win" and leaves Manning in with, say, a two touchdown lead with four minutes left in the game. The blitz-happy Jets get to him and hurt his knee. How many of the fans that were outraged that they didn't get the win that was promised on their ticket would shrug and go, "Oh well, at least they were still pushing in a meaningless game...I'm sure Painter will do well in the playoffs, and if he doesn't, them's the breaks."

Of course they wouldn't--they'd be furious because the coach left a guy in a position to get hurt in a game that means 1000% less than the games in the playoffs. The Colts fans will whine for a while--and ESPN will run daily polls to see just how many casual fans of other teams feel "betrayed" by the Colts (and it will be a lot), but I'm guessing that the next time the Colts play at home, the people in Indianapolis will find it in their hearts to trudge down to the stadium and go through the motions of watching the #1 seed play in the divisional round of the playoffs.

For me, the only valid question with regards to the Colts is whether or not it will help them come playoff time. It might, but my hunch is that it was more about keeping guys from getting hurt than getting them rest.

As for the other teams, screw them. You don't want to have to rely on another team to play its starters so that you can make the playoffs? Here's a novel idea--win more games. The Colts didn't keep the Browns from making the playoffs two years ago, the Browns did. Want to make the playoffs? Don't choke against the Raiders. And the Bengals. And the Cardinals. And beat the Steelers. Do those things, and you don't have to worry about someone doing your job for you in a meaningless (for them) game at the end of the season. If you don't do them, then screw off and wait until next year.

Dennis

You pull Manning & the starters when they game's put away Dennis. Up by 5 in the third quarter is not put away. I'm too lazy to look it up but IIRC resting starters has a negative effect on how a team does in the playoffs.

Horrible call. The Jets need to lose! Oh, well. Go Pats and Bungals. (Why don't we have the puke smilie for in text use?)

The Bengals just do not want to see the Steelers in the playoffs, even though they are not very good. I think they will do everything but give the game to the Jets, just to be sure the Steelers dont make it.....just my prediction. (and I'll be laughing all through the playoffs hahahahaha)

The Bengals just do not want to see the Steelers in the playoffs, even though they are not very good. I think they will do everything but give the game to the Jets, just to be sure the Steelers dont make it.....just my prediction. (and I'll be laughing all through the playoffs hahahahaha)

I think the Bengals will try to win. They have been shaky as of late and don't want to enter the playoffs after two straight losses against two inferior teams. They need momentum. Plus if they win and the Pats lose (to the Texans,who are one spot out of the playoffs) Bengals will get 3rd seed. Thats the difference between playing the AFC Championship against the Pats home or away. The Pats and Bungals game are at the same time so they won't know ahead of time if the Pats already killed their chances at third seed. Pats will also be looking for momentum and Belichick isn't the person to go easy on another team. Better chance you see Brady throwing his 5th td with 10 seconds left already up by 20+ before you see him get benched for an undrafted rookie.

I think the Bengals will try to win. They have been shaky as of late and don't want to enter the playoffs after two straight losses against two inferior teams. They need momentum. Plus if they win and the Pats lose (to the Texans,who are one spot out of the playoffs) Bengals will get 3rd seed. Thats the difference between playing the AFC Championship against the Pats home or away. The Pats and Bungals game are at the same time so they won't know ahead of time if the Pats already killed their chances at third seed. Pats will also be looking for momentum and Belichick isn't the person to go easy on another team. Better chance you see Brady throwing his 5th td with 10 seconds left already up by 20+ before you see him get benched for an undrafted rookie.

well put.

but i guess we'll see.

The Bengals are in a weird position for that game though....because in all likelyhood they'll be playing the Jets AGAIN the next week in the Playoffs and might not want to show their hand too much. I'm thinking the Bengals will take the loss and save their guns for the game that really counts.

Doug

The Bengals are in a weird position for that game though....because in all likelyhood they'll be playing the Jets AGAIN the next week in the Playoffs and might not want to show their hand too much. I'm thinking the Bengals will take the loss and save their guns for the game that really counts.

Doug

Bad call, why not take a shot at history and shut those Dolphin fags up for good.

Furn, please fix your sig, it's annoying.

Right call..

16-0 in the regular season means nothing...you have to win 19 for it to mean anything and that's damn near impossible.

The game meant nothing...he played enough to stay sharp and I expect the same thing this week.

The good news is that we can bet against the colts and make money...

If they'd lost a game prior to this, I'd say it was the prudent thing to do.

They gave up on a chance at history. They didn't owe it to the fans. They owed it to the players whose legacies will include a "what if" and an "almost" even if they win the Super Bowl. This decision will be remembered for generations as the team that "might have" but chose to just undo 14 weeks' worth of excellence in a mere few moments.

The argument could be made that Manning or someone else could get hurt however Peyton hasn't missed a game in years and has been sacked only a handful of times this year....so, to me at least, that argument doesn't wash.

They gave up on a chance at history. They didn't owe it to the fans. They owed it to the players whose legacies will include a "what if" and an "almost" even if they win the Super Bowl. This decision will be remembered for generations as the team that "might have" but chose to just undo 14 weeks' worth of excellence in a mere few moments.

The argument could be made that Manning or someone else could get hurt however Peyton hasn't missed a game in years and has been sacked only a handful of times this year....so, to me at least, that argument doesn't wash.

At the very least, they could have left Manning in the game and rotated back-up wrs and rbs into the game. With their o-line and Manning's audiables Manning takes for few hits anyway. Even if the didn't open up the playing calling where Manning would stay clean the entire game the could have still won.

Was traveling today and heard a crazy stat on FoxSports. Over his last 1,000+ attempts Manning gets sacked once in 45 passes. The odds of him going down due to injury in that game were minuscule. Ditto over his career, PM's been about as durable as Bret Farve.

PS- Bet against the Colts Sunday? The bookies ain't hearing of it. NO line on the game.

Archived