THE BROWNS BOARD

Decade's Biggest Busts

ClevelandFanForLife

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone ranks as their top ten biggest busts of last decade from the NFL. Here's mine.

10. Vernon Gholston- 6th overall in 2008. Can't get off the ball and has 29 tackles and 0 sacks in two seasons.

9. Pacman Jones- 6th overall in 2006. Do I really have to give a reason?

8. Matt Leinert- 10th overall in 2006. Not much arm strength and not a lot of accuracy. Throw in the fact that he was replaced by a 40 year old doesn't help either.

7. Peter Warrick- 4th overall in 2000. The next great receiver? I didn't know McDonald's had receivers.

6. Reggie Bush- 2nd overall in 2006. Not enough size to make a difference and he doesn't hit the holes fast enough. Also, he averages 3.9 yards per carry. Kim Kardashian's ass could run the ball farther.

5. Mike Williams/Roy Williams- Each were top ten picks in 2004 and 2005. Roy Williams at least has a second chance in Dallas, but he plays second fiddle to a non-drafted free agent.

4. Courtney Brown- 1st overall in 2000. Enough Said.

3. JaMarcus Russel- 1st overall in 2007. I used to think that he could do better in a better system but Bruce Gradkowski blew that up. Russel is awful but could still resurrect something... right?

2. David Carr- 1st overall in 2002. Horrible career for a horrible QB. I put him ahead of Russel because he is only three years in.

1. Charles Rogers- 2nd overall in 2003. Barely even played when he could. Drugs and prison ended his career. I'd almost feel bad for him if he didn't do it to himself.

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone ranks as their top ten biggest busts of last decade from the NFL. Here's mine.

10. Vernon Gholston- 6th overall in 2008. Can't get off the ball and has 29 tackles and 0 sacks in two seasons.

9. Pacman Jones- 6th overall in 2006. Do I really have to give a reason?

8. Matt Leinert- 10th overall in 2006. Not much arm strength and not a lot of accuracy. Throw in the fact that he was replaced by a 40 year old doesn't help either.

7. Peter Warrick- 4th overall in 2000. The next great receiver? I didn't know McDonald's had receivers.

6. Reggie Bush- 2nd overall in 2006. Not enough size to make a difference and he doesn't hit the holes fast enough. Also, he averages 3.9 yards per carry. Kim Kardashian's ass could run the ball farther.

5. Mike Williams/Roy Williams- Each were top ten picks in 2004 and 2005. Roy Williams at least has a second chance in Dallas, but he plays second fiddle to a non-drafted free agent.

4. Courtney Brown- 1st overall in 2000. Enough Said.

3. JaMarcus Russel- 1st overall in 2007. I used to think that he could do better in a better system but Bruce Gradkowski blew that up. Russel is awful but could still resurrect something... right?

2. David Carr- 1st overall in 2002. Horrible career for a horrible QB. I put him ahead of Russel because he is only three years in.

1. Charles Rogers- 2nd overall in 2003. Barely even played when he could. Drugs and prison ended his career. I'd almost feel bad for him if he didn't do it to himself.

I'd take Roy williams off of the list, and Kim Kardashian's ass.

Other than that, nice list. but here's a bigger bust:

No_name_352881d.jpg

Zombo

I'd take Roy williams off of the list, and Kim Kardashian's ass.

Other than that, nice list. but here's a bigger bust:

No_name_352881d.jpg

Zombo

Now if they could only replace the current refs with ones like her. Who wouldn't want to see that running up and down the field every play lol.

I disagree on Brown...injuries happen. Busts are just players who just sucked.

Warren wouldn't even be a bust...he has managed a pretty decent 10 year career to this point.

I agree with ballpeen. There's guys who are injured and guys who are decent players but don't live up to their draft position but then there are the real busts who are basically stealing money in the NFL.

I think that JaBustus Russell tops the list in my book.

Roy Williams isn't as good as his draft pick or the boatload of picks Jerry Jones traded for him but he's not a top ten bust.

JaMarcus is by far the biggest bust. He just doesn't care about playing football and is all about the money. He's going to get cut by the Raiders and I don't think he'll get another shot.

Couch and Carr were both thrust into awful expansion teams with no chance for success, so calling them busts would be pretty unfair.

Couch and Carr were both thrust into awful expansion teams with no chance for success, so calling them busts would be pretty unfair.

I believe folks who get injured can qualify as 'busts'. IMHO, a bust is somebody who had high expectations - and, maybe salary - and delivered little.

Remember Lawyer Tillman? Browns moved up to draft him. The team had high hopes for him. He got hurt and never really delivered - through no fault of his own.

Let's not soft peddle who is a bust and who isn't.

Expectations + cost are much higher than output = BUST.

My picks, in no particular order:

1) JaMarcus Russell

2) Joey Harrington

3) Packman Jones

4) Troy Williamson (a wr drafted in the top five averaging less than 20 catches per year?)

5 Charles Rogers (even a more stinko pick)

6) David Terrell

7) Courtney Brown

8) Peter Warrick

9) Matt Leinart (getting there fast)

Beau Bell.

Nobody else even comes close.

Joseph, to be considered a mega-bust ya gotta be drafted in the first round, and stink to high heaven like Ryan Leaf. Bell was a fourth rounder- so not even close.

Personally, my all time faves are a toss up between Brian Bosworth and Tony Mandarich.

In my opinion, there's two types of busts- draft busts and player busts.

Reggie Bush is a draft bust, but not a player bust.

He was drafted with the second overall pick by the Saints to be their everydown runningback, to replace an again Deuce McAlister. He proved that he couldn't handle the load as an everydown RB, and is now essentially a slashback to Pierre Thomas and Mike Bell.

Now, let's look at Reggie Bush. The starting RB for Southern Cal, Heisman trophy winner, has a couple of National Championships. Now a backup to an undrafted free agent from Arizona, and an undrafted free agent from Illinois. You don't pick a slash back with the number 2 overall pick. That, my friends, is a draft bust.

But, let's take a look at his season. 70 rushing attempts for 390 yards. 5 rushing TDs, which is just as many as Mike Bell has, and only one less than Pierre Thomas has. 47 receptions for 335 yards and 3 receiving TDs. All in all, 425 yards and 8 TDs. For a slashback, that's not too bad. He's got one more TD than Jerome Harrison has, and Harrison is our starting RB. Granted, Harrison hasn't played all year. But still, for essentially your 3rd string RB, 8 TDs is a good thing to have. He's an integral part of the Saints offense, just not in the traditional RB sense. IMO, not a player bust by any means.

IMO, Reggie Bush may be one of the largest draft busts in the last 15 years, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't want him on my team right now. I just wouldn't have picked him with the second overall pick

Archived