THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson / Hasselbeck

ATENEARS

Matt Hasselbeck (last 3 seasons stats)

754 of 1259 (59.8%) for 8,211yrds, 50-TD's and 39 INT's

Been sacked 84 times for -532 yrds, with 20 fumbles

RECORD: 16-21 ... Recent Receivers: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Nate Burleson, John Carlson, Deion Brach

Derek Anderson (last 3 seasons stats)

521 of 992 (52.5%) for 6,290 yrds, 41-TD's and 37 INT's

Been sacked 39 times for -331 yrds, with 19 fumbles

RECORD: 16-16 ... Recent Receivers: Massaquoi, Mike Furrey, Evan Moore/Robert Royal.

If Holmgren thought he could work with Hasselbeck and these kind of numbers coming from Matt in his 7th, 8th & 9th seasons in the NFL, imagine his thought process of Anderson in his 2nd, 3rd & 4th seasons playing for multiple programs/coaches and weak offensive systems.

RECORD: 16-21 ... Recent Receivers: T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Nate Burleson, John Carlson, Deion Brach

RECORD: 16-16 ... Recent Receivers: Massaquoi, Mike Furrey, Evan Moore/Robert Royal.

If Holmgren thought he could work with Hasselbeck and these kind of numbers coming from Matt in his 7th, 8th & 9th seasons in the NFL, imagine his thought process of Anderson in his 2nd, 3rd & 4th seasons playing for multiple programs/coaches and weak offensive systems.

LOL, man do you love DAHorseballs! Keep a tight grip on em... It's the last time you'll get the chance. Bye bye DA.... :lol:

well, maybe you can still admire him from afar on his new team as a #2 QB.

I had no idea Hasselback had such poor stats. I've seen him play numerous times and kind of impressed me as a good qb.....not top flight....but very good. I've also seen DA play....too many times. He has also left an impression....as a really bad qb. I mean, Akili Smith bad. I guess your post is a classic example of the old saying..."statistics are for losers".

LOL, man do you love DAHorseballs! Keep a tight grip on em... It's the last time you'll get the chance. Bye bye DA.... :lol:

well, maybe you can still admire him from afar on his new team as a #2 QB.

Soooo, what you're saying is that you don't know if Brady Quinn is the answer, but you know MATT HASSELBACK isn't?

Yeah ... the controversy ends with the ousting of DA ... rrrright.

Soooo, what you're saying is that you don't know if Brady Quinn is the answer, but you know MATT HASSELBACK isn't?

Where did I mention Quinn in my reply?

No, what I'm saying is.... come to grips with your love of Horseballs and invite him over for some quality one on one time before he's traded away or released.

Dude, seriously, DA is HORRIBLE. One of the worst QB's in the history of the NFL over the past two years. On a death spiral in terms of QB rating/efficiency. How do you not see it? :blink:

No, what I'm saying is.... come to grips with your love of Horseballs and invite him over for some quality one on one time before he's traded away or released.

Dude, seriously, DA is HORRIBLE. One of the worst QB's in the history of the NFL over the past two years. On a death spiral in terms of QB rating/efficiency. How do you not see it? :blink:

yea cause this team is just chalked full of explosive weapons.

This year almost every weapon has been striped from the team as opposed to being injured like last year.

Jamal might have set the organization back a few years.

So that "very overrated" term worst qb rating in history thing is just that overrated. Its kinda like playing golf with a bunch of hacks your probably not going to play well either cause of the lack of talent around.

That's funny ... I don't remember pimping DA in this thread either. I believe I simply compared his stats to Matt Hasselbecks.

come to grips?? .... uh-huh

Good bye DA. I can't wait for him to finally get the boot and put these debates to an end. All in good time I guess...... it's getting tiring and old.

I guess my point to SoCal in my original reply to this topic was that do you all really think ANY QB controversey will end with the ousting of DA or BQ? Insert Matt Hasselbeck, for instance, and where has that gotten us in relationship to competing with Brady Quinn?

Say we draft a QB. Where does that put BQ?

I know where both cases put us, but I doubt it is the same as your dreaming thinking.

I like the competition. I bet you that I have lobbied for a veteran starter to be brought in here to compete with whoever we had at the helm, moreso than any other member of this forum since 1998.

Keep Brady & DA both and bring in someone to beat them out. Then bring in another guy to beat that starters brains in the following year and so on and so on. Competition is healthy if you take that little homosexual pitter-patter out of your heart. I hope we bring in someone that is so good it is embarrassing for DA that he didn't step up and seize the moment when he had the chance. I don't typically even mention Brady because he hasn't come close to stepping up or being noticed by myself ... maybe next year.

1. Derek Anderson is gone. This topic is moot.

2. Hasselbek, despite playing through injuries all the time (he was on the injury list for 8 games this season, with injuries to his ribs and throwing shoulder; he missed two games because of the rib injury), put up significantly better numbers (79.5 rating vs. 70.5) on teams that were pretty crap.

3. What about DA the past season?

182 passes, 44.5% completions, 3 TDs, 10 INTs, 42.1 rating

What about DA the past two seasons?

465 passes, 48.0% completions, 12 TDs, 18 INTs, 56.9 rating

What about DA the past 21 games he has appeared in?

557 passes, 48.8% completions, 15 TDs, 23 INTs, 57.3 rating

The Pro-Bowl form is a thing of the past. This guy isn't worthy of half his salary. That's what Holmgren's thinking.

Correct, Ate. "When you have two quarterbacks, you really have none." The above post points it out. DA has sucked at a historically bad level for the last couple of years. Time to cut bait, and move on.

It's been pointed out many, many times- Once the league figured out Derek can't hit a barn door from 10 feet away, and took away his deep option DA has sucked.

I'm not saying Quinn is the answer by any means, but post his stats next to DA's for this year and get back to me- it ain't pretty.

PAST SEASON

Quinn: 256 passes, 53.1%, 8 TDs, 7 INTs, 67.2 rating

Anderson: 182 passes, 44.5% completions, 3 TDs, 10 INTs, 42.1 rating

PAST TWO SEASONS

Quinn: 345 passes, 52.5% completions, 10 TDs, 9 INTs, 67.0 rating

Anderson: 465 passes, 48.0% completions, 12 TDs, 18 INTs, 56.9 rating

CAREER

Quinn: 353 passes, 52.1% completions, 10 TDs, 9 INTs, 66.8 rating

Anderson: 1109 passes, 52.9% completions, 46 TDs, 45 INTs, 69.7 rating

That's with a Pro Bowl season. Is it easier to pretend that the Pro Bowl season was the norm or a fluke for Anderson? Or if you think that Anderson has that kind of potential still, what do you think of Quinn, who has roughly the same career stats, but has outperformed him over the past two seasons (by a lot), with less experience? The comparison just doen't fly in favor of DA.

Nice stats, that really tells the story!

Who cares about passing yardage, right?

Yards per attempt is one of the four components of passer rating. But you knew that.

PAST SEASON

Quinn: 5.2 yards per attempt

Anderson: 4.9 yards per attempt

PAST TWO SEASONS

Quinn: 5.4

Anderson: 5.4

CAREER

Anderson: 6.4

Good point, by the way. You're right. Quinn does have the slight edge over Anderson of late there, too.

Yards per attempt is one of the four components of passer rating. But you knew that.

PAST SEASON

Quinn: 5.2 yards per attempt

Anderson: 4.9 yards per attempt

PAST TWO SEASONS

Anderson: 5.4

CAREER

Anderson: 6.4

Good point, by the way. You're right. Quinn does have the slight edge over Anderson of late there, too.

Awesome, this Quinn kid is good ... and I bet he is sturdy and durable too! Why haven't we been playing him? He should have at least started this season or been handed the team to finish-out last season.

I wanna see more, I wanna see more ... please, please, he must have a ton of passing yards. Show us the passing yards and the win percentages!

(on edge of seat)

See Zippy, and you said this kid hasn't done anything.

(insert video clip on Lions game)

Awesome, this Quinn kid is good ... and I bet he is sturdy and durable too! Why haven't we been playing him? He should have at least started this season or been handed the team to finish-out last season.

I wanna see more, I wanna see more ... please, please, he must have a ton of passing yards. Show us the passing yards and the win percentages!

(on edge of seat)

I forgot ... he almost beat the Lions.

That ought to give Holmgren a hard-on.

Zombo

(on edge of seat)

You raised the objection. I answered it. Don't know if you saw, but

Passing YARDS? You want to see how many passing yards he has? Does the 304 vs. Detroit make you mess your pants? Because Anderson, the big time QB, has tossed for more three times! Three times! In just 25 more games! With a quality group of receivers, nonetheless. I've never seen anyone so intent on looking at passing yards.

So win %s: Is Derek Anderson a winner? The Browns have 1 win against a team with a .500+ record in their last 27 games. It wasn't QBed by Derek Anderson. He's 6-11 over the past two seasons. Quinn is 3-12. Does that do it for you? Anderson has a better win % than Quinn. Do you believe that makes him a better QB?

This thread suggests that Holmgren should have some reaction toward Anderson that is more impressive than what he had toward Hasselbeck. Based on two and a quarter atrocious seasons, in which he was outplayed by a QB who's so terrible he doesn't deserve a job (he doesn't throw for many yards, even if he gains more yards per pass attempt than Anderson). It's so ridiculous it's unbelievable. If you want someone to grant the original point, I'll grant it. Then I'll say that if it's true that Holmgren would be excited to work with Anderson, he'd downright spritz in his pants at the thought of Quinn. Don't you think that's absolutely ridiculous?

(on edge of seat)

Well, it's good to see ya finally coming around Ate.... ;)

Why are we discussing Anderson when he is not going to be a Brown. And who cares about what BQ vs DA stats say? They both suck. But one comes much cheaper. And nothing - I mean nothing - Holmgren has in his toolbox can fix the tragedy that is Derek Anderson. That dog just won't hunt.

Archived