THE BROWNS BOARD

If you are a sportswriter or considering a career in sportswriting...

MudratDetector

GET A REAL FREAKING JOB!!!!

they did their best to make up some horseshit about mangini getting canned and now they're moving on to josh cribbs. they are getting desperate and it's pathetic. they all need to be taken to the vets and be put to sleep.

In my opinion, the majority succumb to the "drama over substance" philosophy of journalism. I just listened to John Clayton's assessment of Holmgren's decision to keep Mangini and company. Basically it amounted to 1) there wasn't anyone better immediately available 2) saves Lerner money 3) Oh, well, they won the last four games, why not give the coach one more chance.

Pathetic.

Holmgren is a self-described straight-shooter. I think he said what he meant. I believe he really thinks Mangini is on the right track.

or mike holmgren is just getting the full experience of the front office job for a year or two before deciding he wants to coach again and having the understanding of the front office that he didn't have while doing the same thing in seattle.

I like keeping mangini and i like holmgren in the front office. Hell i might even like holmgren as a head coach down the line for the browns.

But im just a little bit skeptical at holmgren's intentions. Call me paranoid.

I agree with your paranoia but Holmgren did say that if he can work with the coaches and see improvement that he helped with that would probably be enough. If Mangini ramps up his success Holmgren will not be able to fire him. I also think that if Holmgren really planned on coaching he would bring in a coach to set the team up in his vision such as 4/3 and west coast offense.

In my opinion, the majority succumb to the "drama over substance" philosophy of journalism. I just listened to John Clayton's assessment of Holmgren's decision to keep Mangini and company. Basically it amounted to 1) there wasn't anyone better immediately available 2) saves Lerner money 3) Oh, well, they won the last four games, why not give the coach one more chance.

Pathetic.

Holmgren is a self-described straight-shooter. I think he said what he meant. I believe he really thinks Mangini is on the right track.

i think holmgren is 100% sincere

i wanna know who fed john clayton after midnight because he is a xxxxing gremlin. if i was that ugly, i would be bitter as well.

Pathetic.

Mangini is definitely on track..

Holmgren by his own admittance said he would be hard to sell to ,but what mangini was selling him is the right way to build a championship caliber cold weather team from scratch ,i flip flopped on mangini twice i liked him comiing in then grew to hate him for various reasons for the first 8 games and then i started to see where his real work had taken place and slowly began to warm up to him again...

Its painful to watch baby steps and only a little piece of the playbook in action but it had to be done in order to successfully move forward and theres likely more to come but it will be less visible now with the core foundation built and the cancers gone..

I will tell you guys this when the penguini and the walrus are done we will be superbowl champions and uncontested rulers of the afcn...its a football thing thats hard to explain but it will happen...;)

or mike holmgren is just getting the full experience of the front office job for a year or two before deciding he wants to coach again and having the understanding of the front office that he didn't have while doing the same thing in seattle.

I dont believe Holmgren has any alterior motives i really dont ,i believe he is what he is a guy thats going to do his very best to right this ship and take this club and its fans to the forbidden dance...

I RARELY read the sports page anymore...it is pure gossip written by a bunch of ignorant, ill advised bush league wannabes!

BTW, have I been too SUBTLE?

Mike

I will tell you guys this when the penguini and the walrus are done we will be superbowl champions and uncontested rulers of the afcn...its a football thing thats hard to explain but it will happen...;)

I have this to say to the other AFCN teams and their fans. "Be afraid; Be very afraid."

There are more than likely some players who are relieved that Mangini is staying, after all they have shown that they are playing for him and have given him their trust as a coach.

Its not how you start, but its how you finish. This has been the best finish by far since coming back into the league. And it has been fun to watch.

There's no real reporting, its all opinion and gossip and speculation..Newspapers will be obsolete in a short time so the basic premise is dirt,scandel and gossip sell..fair ,even handed, and factual reporting are things done in an era gone by..How many of these experts either were DEAD wrong about Mangini, told half truths or outright lied (Florio)..Its state of media these days.

GET A REAL FREAKING JOB!!!!

they did their best to make up some horseshit about mangini getting canned and now they're moving on to josh cribbs. they are getting desperate and it's pathetic. they all need to be taken to the vets and be put to sleep.

Here's the spin that the douchebag for WKYC (not Donavan) put on this........ Holmgren is buying a year while he tries to sort out whether he wants to get back into coaching.

These guys truly are pathetic.

Here's the spin that the douchebag for WKYC (not Donavan) put on this........ Holmgren is buying a year while he tries to sort out whether he wants to get back into coaching.

These guys truly are pathetic.

As I remarked elsewhere, Holmgren said that in the past he postponed cleaning house when he took over and found out it had been a mistake to wait. Based on that, I really believe he's sincere when he says Mangini and company are the right team for the job. It's a nice bonus that Holmgren could take over if need be but I don't think for one second it's the reason he's keeping Mangini around.

I believe that the fast track to the playoffs and the Superbowl is what Holmgren is after. If getting rid of Mangini was the way to get there, he would have booted

everyone.

The media goobers are being overly cynical, IMO.

As I remarked elsewhere, Holmgren said that in the past he postponed cleaning house when he took over and found out it had been a mistake to wait. Based on that, I really believe he's sincere when he says Mangini and company are the right team for the job. It's a nice bonus that Holmgren could take over if need be but I don't think for one second it's the reason he's keeping Mangini around.

Just one thing to keep in mind: though he's made the point about cleaning house multiple times, the first time I heard him say it was in reference to the front office personnel handling the draft. Specifically, he said that not getting rid of the old Seahawks front office people led to factions forming, which ruined the team's 1999 draft.

Though you're probably right that it applies to coaches as well, it's possible that he thinks it's a bigger issue re: the front office. Furthermore, giving Mangini another year allows him to focus almost exclusively on rebuilding the front office in his own image; if he ends up making a coaching change next year - or decides to take over as head coach - he'll already have his ideal front office in place.

Just one thing to keep in mind: though he's made the point about cleaning house multiple times, the first time I heard him say it was in reference to the front office personnel handling the draft. Specifically, he said that not getting rid of the old Seahawks front office people led to factions forming, which ruined the team's 1999 draft.

Though you're probably right that it applies to coaches as well, it's possible that he thinks it's a bigger issue re: the front office. Furthermore, giving Mangini another year allows him to focus almost exclusively on rebuilding the front office in his own image; if he ends up making a coaching change next year - or decides to take over as head coach - he'll already have his ideal front office in place.

I naturally tend to believe the best of people. I've been stung by that before but it usually works well for me. I think in this case it's the best of both worlds. We get to see what Mangini really can do and have the reserves in place. I really like the 'teaching' and player development aspects of what Mangini has been doing and I'm glad those will stay. I also really like what Ryan's done with the defense. Overall I'm happy with the whole setup.

Archived