THE BROWNS BOARD

This Weeks trivia

The Gipper

Its been a little bit since I hit you with some trivia. Here is some topical trivia:

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins?

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks?

3. Of the 32 First round picks in the 2009 NFL draft, which ones were rated by Rivals.com to be in the Top 10 High School recruits in the nation when they first entered college?

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record?

5. In Sunday's Packers/Cardinals playoff game, both teams combined to score 96 points. How many games in NFL history has there been more points scored?

6. 17 people were elected to the very first Pro Football Hall of Fame Class in 1963. Simple question: Name 5 of them.

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him.

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list.

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards.

10. Name the Cleveland Browns players/coaches who have won any of the following awards:

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

AP Offensive Player of the Year

AP Defensive Player of the Year

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year

AP Comeback Player of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year

Its been a little bit since I hit you with some trivia. Here is some topical trivia:

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins? jeff fischer

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks? 7

3. Of the 32 First round picks in the 2009 NFL draft, which ones were rated by Rivals.com to be in the Top 10 High School recruits in the nation when they first entered college?

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record? 34-32

5. In Sunday's Packers/Cardinals playoff game, both teams combined to score 96 points. How many games in NFL history has there been more points scored?

6. 17 people were elected to the very first Pro Football Hall of Fame Class in 1963. Simple question: Name 5 of them.

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him. ruth, bonds, aaron, mantle, mays, sosa, griffey jr.

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list. thome, ramirez, a-roid, and sheffield.

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards. favre is the only know i know of

10. Name the Cleveland Browns players/coaches who have won any of the following awards:

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins? jeff fischer NO

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks? 7 RIGHT

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record? 34-32 CLOSE, maybe close enough to give it to you.

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him. ruth, bonds, aaron, mantle, mays, sosa, griffey jr. ALL Correct

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list. thome, ramirez, a-roid, and sheffield.

The first three, yes. Sheffield would have to hit about 70 HRs to do it

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards. favre is the only know i know of

THAT IS ONE, there are others

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins?

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks?

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him.

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list.

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards.

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

#1 is Belichick

Sipe was AP NFL MVP

I'd have to think about the rest ... gosh, I hate thinking.

Zombo

5. In Sunday's Packers/Cardinals playoff game, both teams combined to score 96 points. How many games in NFL history has there been more points scored? Zero games.

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

Belichik

7 1st rounders....5 non first rounders Brady, Brees, Warner, Romo, Farve

i dunno

33-31

none

Baugh, bell, carr, clark, grange

Robinson, Sosa, Griffet, Mays, Ruth, Aaron, Bonds

Thome, Ramirez, A Rod

Favre, Unitas?

AP NFL MVP Brian Sipe, Jim Brown

AP Coach of the Year Forrest Gregg

AP Offensive Player of the Year no browns

AP Defensive Player of the Year no browns

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year none

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year chip banks

AP Comeback Player of the Year none

NFL Man of the Year none

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year doug Dieken

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins? jeff fischer NO

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks? 7 RIGHT

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record? 34-32 CLOSE, maybe close enough to give it to you.

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him. ruth, bonds, aaron, mantle, mays, sosa, griffey jr. ALL Correct

The first three, yes. Sheffield would have to hit about 70 HRs to do it

THAT IS ONE, there are others

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

who are the others with more than 3 mvp awards??

#1 is Belichick

Sipe was AP NFL MVP

I'd have to think about the rest ... gosh, I hate thinking.

Zombo

Right on both. Sorry to make you exercise your little gray cells. (Perhaps that is why I sometimes have a light response on the trivia, a lot of folks are anathema to the gray cell exercise)

AP NFL MVP----------Sipe

AP Coach of the Year-------Rutigliano

AP Offensive Player of the Year-------Sipe

AP Defensive Player of the Year-----Turner

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year------Brown

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year-------Turner

AP Comeback Player of the Year------Golic

NFL Man of the Year-------Mike Johnson

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year-------Golic

I say, I say, son, I am the one asking the questions. You just give the answers and I will tell you if you are right.

You were right on a couple answers you gave for this question.

i say, i say, foghorn thinks there are not any other 3 time winners besides peyton

No, there were. In fact, you two of them correct with your first answer. There is only one other one.

I am just answering the question about how many First QB's were in the playoffs this year

Eight is my Answer...............which further supports my premise without a top QB you likely go nowhere

So lets get one because we do not have one............................

I didn't read any of the above posts, I swear. If you answered these previously, I'm sorry. I'm just giving it a whack.

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins? Belichick, I would imagine.

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks? 6?

3. Of the 32 First round picks in the 2009 NFL draft, which ones were rated by Rivals.com to be in the Top 10 High School recruits in the nation when they first entered college? Shit. No idea. I'll say Sanchez, Stafford, Moreno, Harvin, Maybin, Beanie, Matthews, Orakpo, Jenkins, and Oher with the swing pick.

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record? 33-31. Saw it on Sportscenter, not going to lie.

6. 17 people were elected to the very first Pro Football Hall of Fame Class in 1963. Simple question: Name 5 of them. Not going to try

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him. Not going to try

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list. Griffey Jr. (just because he seems to have been in the league for about 30 years), Ortiz, and ManRam? I don't follow baseball.

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards. Favre, Marino, and Elway. xxxx if I know.

AP NFL MVP Brian Sipe?

AP Coach of the Year Paul Brown? I don't think the AP even existed then.

AP Offensive Player of the Year Would have to be Dickerson

AP Defensive Player of the Year No idea

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Would have to be Dickerson, again?

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Screw it, I'm going Dickerson

AP Comeback Player of the Year Kellen Winslow II?

NFL Man of the Year Ozzie Newsome? I knew he got the Whizzer White, and I figure they're the same thing

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year Ozzie Newsome. Thank you, dusty old Trivial Pursuit.

Hell, I tried. Good quiz.

I am just answering the question about how many First QB's were in the playoffs this year

Eight is my Answer...............which further supports my premise without a top QB you likely go nowhere

So lets get one because we do not have one............................

Uhm, we do have a first round draft pick QB on our roster n'est ce pas?

And 8 is a wrong answer.

1. Which coach which will be roaming the sidelines in the 2010 seasons has the most career wins? Belichick, I would imagine.

Check mark

2. Of the 12 2009 NFL playoff team starting QBs, how many were First round draft picks? 6? NO

3. Of the 32 First round picks in the 2009 NFL draft, which ones were rated by Rivals.com to be in the Top 10 High School recruits in the nation when they first entered college? Shit. No idea. I'll say Sanchez, Stafford, Moreno, Harvin, Maybin, Beanie, Matthews, Orakpo, Jenkins, and Oher with the swing pick.

Three of the names you mention are correct

4. What is Pete Carroll's NFL career record? 33-31. Saw it on Sportscenter, not going to lie.

check mark

NO

6. 17 people were elected to the very first Pro Football Hall of Fame Class in 1963. Simple question: Name 5 of them. Not going to try

7. Admitted Steroid juicer Mark McGwire is tied for 8th on the all time career Home Run list. Name the 7 players ahead of him. Not going to try

8. Name the few people who with a good season this year could surpass McGwire on that list. Griffey Jr. (just because he seems to have been in the league for about 30 years), Ortiz, and ManRam? I don't follow baseball.

9. Peyton Manning won his 4th AP NFL MVP award this year, most ever. Name the other players with whom he was tied with 3 MVP awards. Favre, Marino, and Elway. xxxx if I know.

Got one only

AP NFL MVP Brian Sipe?

AP Coach of the Year Paul Brown? I don't think the AP even existed then.

AP Offensive Player of the Year Would have to be Dickerson

AP Defensive Player of the Year No idea

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Would have to be Dickerson, again?

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Screw it, I'm going Dickerson

AP Comeback Player of the Year Kellen Winslow II?

NFL Man of the Year Ozzie Newsome? I knew he got the Whizzer White, and I figure they're the same thing

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year Ozzie Newsome. Thank you, dusty old Trivial Pursuit.

You got two. And who is Dickerson? When did he play for the Browns?

I will now give the answers:

It is Bill Belichick with 148 wins. Shanahan is 2d with 146. Fisher 3rd with 136

Seven (7): Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Phil Rivers, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, and Aaron Rodgers.

Drew Brees and Brett Favre were 2d round picks. Brady was a 6th round pick. And Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were undrafted free agents!

When they were seniors in high school, Rivals.com had the following people in order as the top 7 HS recruits in America:

#1 Percy Harvin, #2 Andre Smith, #3 Beanie Wells, #4 Eugene Monroe, #5 Ray Mauluga, #6 Matthew Stafford, #7 Mark Sanchez. Every single one of these became First Round NFL draft picks. I think that is quite a record. I will have to do some research on the other 3 of the Top Ten that year. I will report on that later. Moral of the story: pay attention to Rival.com's recruiting ranking.

33-31

There have been 7 games in NFL history in which more points were scored than the 96 in Sundays game:

113 Redskins 72 Giants 41 11/27/66

106 Bengals 58 Browns 48 11/28/04

101 Raiders 52 Oilers 49 12/22/63

99 Seahawks 51 Chiefs 48 11/27/83

98 Chi. Cards 63 Giants 35 10/17/48

97 LA Rams 70 Balt. Colts 27 11/22/50

If they would have allowed the extra point in OT that game would have tied the 97 points by the Rams/Colts. As it was, the 96 points tied two other games:

96 Browns 51 Bengals 45 9/16/07

96 Jets 51 Dolphins 45 9/17/83

Note that the Browns and Bengals have played in 2 of the 9 highest scoring games in NFL history.

Any of the following would have done: Sammy Baugh, Bert Bell, Joe Carr, Dutch Clark, Red Grange, George Halas, Mel Hein, Wilbur Henry, Cal Hubbard, Don Hutson, Curly Lambeau, Tim Mara, George Preston Marshall, Johnny Blood McNally, Bronko Nagurski, Ernie Nevers, Jim Thorpe

Barry Bonds* , Henry Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa*, Frank Robinson

(MLB may not put asterisks behind the steroid users names, but this is my party and I'll cry if I want to and put the asterisk where it belongs.)

McGwire has 583. Alex Rodriguez is already tied with him and will surpass him with his first homer. Jim Thome has 564 needs 19 to tie and Manny Ramirez has 546 and needs 37 to tie. It is plausible they both could do it this year with good years. Gary Sheffield is the next active player on the list with 509, 74 behind McG. I don't think he will hit that many in his remaining career.

Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, and Brett Favre have 3 each

AP NFL MVP Jim Brown (3), Brian Sipe 1980

AP Coach of the Year Forrest Gregg 1976

AP Offensive Player of the Year none

AP Defensive Player of the Year none

AP Offensive Rookie of the Year none

AP Defensive Rookie of the Year Chip Banks 1982

AP Comeback Player of the Year none

NFL Man of the Year none

NFLPA "Whizzer White" Man of the Year Doug Dieken 1982, Ozzie Newsome 1986

Come on Gip, you had me thinking I forgot all those guys that won awards when there were none. I knew the Banks and Gregg answers too, just flubbed them. Turner was hurt his rookie year but I thought he won defensive MVP in 94.

Come on Gip, you had me thinking I forgot all those guys that won awards when there were none. I knew the Banks and Gregg answers too, just flubbed them. Turner was hurt his rookie year but I thought he won defensive MVP in 94.

I asked for the Browns players who may have won "ANY" of the awards. I didn't say "EACH" of these awards.

I think the question implied that there were certainly going to be some "none" answers.

AP NFL MVP

AP Coach of the Year

NFL Man of the Year

1. Belichek

2. Manning, Rivers, Flacco, Palmer, Sanchez, Rodgers, McNabb so 7 of 12 (strangely enough, 5 of the 7 are AFC).

4. 33-31

5. 0

9. Montana, Jim Brown, Archie Manning?

Great trivia again Gip. Sorry I missed the chance to answer it, I was out of town the last three days.

And just a technicality, but the correct answer to #1 is Joe Paterno, since you didn't specify the NFL. :)

Great trivia again Gip. Sorry I missed the chance to answer it, I was out of town the last three days.

And just a technicality, but the correct answer to #1 is Joe Paterno, since you didn't specify the NFL. :)

And as a further technicality, it is actually probably some high school coach somewhere....since I didn't specify college ball either! In fact, if John Gagliardi is still coaching Division III football he would have more wins than Paterno.

Archived