THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Dismiss two top executives

steel88

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...miss_two_t.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Mike Keenan, who was president of the Browns until the arrival of Mike Holmgren on Jan. 5, was fired by the club on Friday, a league source confirmed.

Also, Dawn Aponte, the club's chief contract negotiator and salary cap manager, has left the organization. The source said Aponte was joining the Miami Dolphins.

Keenan joined the Browns in 2006 and was appointed president in 2008. He answered only to owner Randy Lerner and accompanied Lerner on the coaching search that resulted in Eric Mangini being named coach a year ago.

When Mangini was presented to the media, it was Keenan who introduced him. That was Keenan's first and only appearance in a news conference setting. Shortly thereafter, Keenan laid off about 18 Browns employees in various departments to cut costs.

Keenan, an accountant by trade, oversaw the development of broadcast contracts and the club's sales and marketing departments. He was Lerner's top representative at league meetings.

Keenan was demoted to chief financial officer when Holmgren was named president.

Aponte was touted by some as a rising star when she joined the Browns a year go. Like Keenan, she worked in the league's Management Council and was regarded as an expert in the league salary cap.

""The fates of Keenan and Aponte were sealed when Holmgren lured Bryan Wiedmeier from the Dolphins and appointed him executive vice president of business administration on Monday.

The Browns did not confirm the firings. A Browns spokesman did not immediately return an e-mail for comment.

I already said the same thing actually hah: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9861

this has already been posted though as I just linked(man there's a lot of reposts lately).

Guilty as charged and I agree too many threads saying the same thing.

I hope that Merletti is on their radar. B)

You may hope that, but i think he is more or less a untouchable.

Really, who are you going to hire as head of team security that is more qualified??

Damn near anybody in the world isn't going to have qualifications as good as his.

Merletti's stance with fans isn't just his stance. It is a directive from the owner who sits in league meetings with other owners who decides the teams need to become cleaner and nicer.

I would be willing to be other owners have specifically fingered the browns as a team that needs to clean up it's fan base....thus the seeming strong arm tactics.

Cleveland isn't a friendly place for opposing fans, and contrary to what some people think, it shouldn't be that way.

You shouldn't be fearful of getting beat up or jeered just because you root for and cheer a different team.

No, it isn't like that everywhere.

Archived