THE BROWNS BOARD

Can Holmgren get the Browns to the playoffs sooner than expected?

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf...ing_team_p.html

CLEVELAND -- A fully functional organization in Berea isn't quite a Yeti sighting.

But you still weren't sure you'd see one in your lifetime.

Mike Holmgren's arrival as Browns president should not only streamline job responsibilities but also speed the time needed to become a legitimate contender.

I know one thing. If we hear less about coach Eric Mangini's "process" in 2010 and more about pushing the fast-forward button on making the postseason, having Holmgren on board already will be worth it.

So many coaches espouse processes and five-year plans. You would, too, if it bought you some understanding and time. It's why it was so refreshing when Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly took over in South Bend and put himself on the "five-minute plan."

More than once this season, Mangini called what he inherited from former coach Romeo Crennel and former GM Phil Savage a "mess." I don't think he was talking about the need for massive interior decorating.

That struck me as another handy crutch.

The Browns were a season removed from 10-6, a season in which they set franchise records on offense and missed the playoffs perhaps only because Indianapolis sent out their backups for the season finale.

Then 4-12. Boom. But Mangini had a similar fall in New York. After going 10-6 and making the playoffs, his second Jets team finished 4-12. Doubtful he thought he'd left himself a "mess" in his third season.

The '08 Browns -- with Joe Thomas, Josh Cribbs, Lawrence Vickers, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jerome Harrison, Eric Steinbach, Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson -- steamrollered the Super Bowl champion New York Giants in a far more impressive fashion than the 2009 Browns managed in any of their five wins, including their victory over the Super Bowl champion Steelers.

The cupboards, while hardly overflowing, weren't exactly reduced to sawdust either.

When the '08 season ended after a punchless six weeks of unwatchable offense, the Browns had gone through Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson and Ken Dorsey and were forced to grasp at a Bruce Gradkowski straw in the season's final game against Pittsburgh.

While Mangini did inherit a major challenge in restocking lost draft picks, his first season became a 1-11 mess with him contributing to the rubble in various ways, including a quarterback shuttle and a weak draft.

Mangini did restore diligence and discipline to a team sorely lacking it, and that was no small job. Look, I'm not espousing the Jamal Lewis view that there was talent all over the locker room, just saying the pond wasn't stocked only with minnows when Mangini took over.

Holmgren's arrival and the 11 draft picks new GM Tom Heckert has at his disposal are an opportunity to kick this organization into a higher gear.

Heckert said his primary job is finding players. That's nothing new. That's how Savage saw his job, too, and why he spent so much time away from Berea.

Now Heckert can treasure hunt all he wants because of Holmgren. Now Mangini only has to coach because of Holmgren.

The new president said Mangini had to do too much last year "through no fault of his own" and that Mangini shows a willingness to be part of a management team.

If Holmgren is right, the parts are in place, and the Browns might finally be built for speed.

here's a question that i would like to throw out there. when was the last time the browns hired a football guru like mh?

The answer is...never.

The browns are poised to move further than we ever have before, the media and the discombobulated fans needs to drop the mangini hate, its time to get onboard and give mangini a chance to prove or disprove himself..the foundation is now rock solid and we will begin seeing the true results of mangini's work when combined with holmgrens offensive advise and heckerts personnel talents next year...and so will our foes...;)

I believe we will shock the nfl and the afcn we will make it to the playoffs next year...

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf...ing_team_p.html

CLEVELAND -- A fully functional organization in Berea isn't quite a Yeti sighting.

But you still weren't sure you'd see one in your lifetime.

Mike Holmgren's arrival as Browns president should not only streamline job responsibilities but also speed the time needed to become a legitimate contender.

I know one thing. If we hear less about coach Eric Mangini's "process" in 2010 and more about pushing the fast-forward button on making the postseason, having Holmgren on board already will be worth it.

So many coaches espouse processes and five-year plans. You would, too, if it bought you some understanding and time. It's why it was so refreshing when Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly took over in South Bend and put himself on the "five-minute plan."

More than once this season, Mangini called what he inherited from former coach Romeo Crennel and former GM Phil Savage a "mess." I don't think he was talking about the need for massive interior decorating.

That struck me as another handy crutch.

The Browns were a season removed from 10-6, a season in which they set franchise records on offense and missed the playoffs perhaps only because Indianapolis sent out their backups for the season finale.

Then 4-12. Boom. But Mangini had a similar fall in New York. After going 10-6 and making the playoffs, his second Jets team finished 4-12. Doubtful he thought he'd left himself a "mess" in his third season.

The '08 Browns -- with Joe Thomas, Josh Cribbs, Lawrence Vickers, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jerome Harrison, Eric Steinbach, Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson -- steamrollered the Super Bowl champion New York Giants in a far more impressive fashion than the 2009 Browns managed in any of their five wins, including their victory over the Super Bowl champion Steelers.

The cupboards, while hardly overflowing, weren't exactly reduced to sawdust either.

When the '08 season ended after a punchless six weeks of unwatchable offense, the Browns had gone through Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson and Ken Dorsey and were forced to grasp at a Bruce Gradkowski straw in the season's final game against Pittsburgh.

While Mangini did inherit a major challenge in restocking lost draft picks, his first season became a 1-11 mess with him contributing to the rubble in various ways, including a quarterback shuttle and a weak draft.

Mangini did restore diligence and discipline to a team sorely lacking it, and that was no small job. Look, I'm not espousing the Jamal Lewis view that there was talent all over the locker room, just saying the pond wasn't stocked only with minnows when Mangini took over.

Holmgren's arrival and the 11 draft picks new GM Tom Heckert has at his disposal are an opportunity to kick this organization into a higher gear.

Heckert said his primary job is finding players. That's nothing new. That's how Savage saw his job, too, and why he spent so much time away from Berea.

Now Heckert can treasure hunt all he wants because of Holmgren. Now Mangini only has to coach because of Holmgren.

The new president said Mangini had to do too much last year "through no fault of his own" and that Mangini shows a willingness to be part of a management team.

If Holmgren is right, the parts are in place, and the Browns might finally be built for speed.

he needs to do two things focus on offensive skill players and get a real QB...............

so what else is not endorsed here

1946...Paul Brown

bingo! i know alot of browns fans are happy that the browns hired mh, but i don't think they fully understand how big of a pickup for the browns this is. heck, mh has all of these trolls worried to death. they know what it could possibly mean, even though they won't admit it. i would think that the days of afcn rivals getting a guaranteed 2 wins a season from the browns is coming to an end.

I would expect writers to understand that it truely is a process. You get players who buy into your system. You focus on better fundamental execution individually and as a team each and every week. Then you upgrade your talent each year. The result will be a team that is in the playoff hunt every year.

bingo! i know alot of browns fans are happy that the browns hired mh, but i don't think they fully understand how big of a pickup for the browns this is. heck, mh has all of these trolls worried to death. they know what it could possibly mean, even though they won't admit it. i would think that the days of afcn rivals getting a guaranteed 2 wins a season from the browns is coming to an end.

The more I read about MH, the more my thinking is the blind squirrel (Lerner) finally found the acorn.

Terriffic PD Bio of Holmgren

When you see the guys he's worked for- (and with) it's amazing.

The more I read about MH, the more my thinking is the blind squirrel (Lerner) finally found the acorn.

Terriffic PD Bio of Holmgren

When you see the guys he's worked for- (and with) it's amazing.

+1

i read that bio a few days ago and i'm impressed to. this could be something really big for us browns fans.

Archived