THE BROWNS BOARD

"Z" to New Orleans?

LCDawgFan13

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas to New Orleans?

Will the Cleveland Cavaliers trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas to New Orleans?

By Starting Blocks

January 18, 2010, 8:28AM

Joshua Gunter, The Plain Dealer Zydrunas Ilgauskas Could the Cleveland Cavaliers trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Reporter Bob Finnan of The News-Herald writes that not only could the Cavaliers trade Ilgauskas, but they may trade him to the New Orleans Hornets for power forward David West.

Finnan writes:

The Cavs are dangling center Zydrunas Ilgauskas out there for the Hornets, who want to avoid paying the luxury tax at all cost. The Hornets could buy out Ilgauskas’ contract and waive him. Then he could return to the Cavs in 30 days. Or they could hang onto him and let his $11.5 million deal expire after this season.

Finnan also writes that Hornets coach/GM Jeff Bower told New Orleans writers that he has no intention of breaking up their core to get under the luxury-tax threshold.

I saw this and was wondering what you guys think.

I think it would be a good trade, especially if Z gets bought out and comes back to Cleveland. It would really suck without him here. He is all class and has really poured his heart and soul into the Cavs.

I also saw in the Yahoo Rumors.

Sign me up. West's another perfect fit at the 4. He can create his own shot, catch and shoot, and finish at the rim. Clutch, tough. Played big in the playoffs a couple years ago.

And a huge plus....he hits 85% of his free throws.

Great deal, even if it means giving up Hickson or draft picks. Especially since New Orleans is in trouble and would buy Z out to save the cash.

If Shaq gets injured we're back to where we were last year, anyway. It's not like Z was doing anything to stop Dwight in the playoffs.

I think the team needs someone in the frontcourt whose idea of offense is more than just standing still and waiting for LeBron to pass them the ball for a jumper (Z) or a layup (Shaq/AV). West is athletic enough to hang with the guys like Rashard Lewis and Odom, and can do everything on offense, without having to be babied by LeBron...including sink free throws which has killed us a couple times already this year. After Mo we don't really have anyone reliable from the line.

And it's New Orleans. If they make the trade...it won't be because they want Z the player. They'll buy him out and he'll return to Cleveland for the playoffs.

dear god please make this trade. I love "Z" and he has done a lot for us over the years, but West is a force. Wait a minute, then what would we do with Hickson and Powe? To many questions to answer.

I think we pick up Antione Jamison before the trading deadline.

I would love to see him at PF.

The Wiz need to clear cap space....but it would still take the trading of Z.

We would still have to rest Shaq....but Andy in the middle is good enough if we have jamison on the floor

Archived