THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 Jets vs 2000 Ravens - Pretty Good Stat Comp

bkosar74

This why the Jets fired Mangini and hired Ryan. They upgraded into the AFC Champ Game while the browns sort of stayed the same.

actually no, the Browns won 5 games when you could have looked at that roster, and without knowing who the coach is you'd say the team is lucky to have 2 or 3 wins. They won more games this year with a much less talented team because they got rid of guys like Winslow and Edwards. they're also much more disciplined, last year they had a lot more mistakes and penalties, and this year the Browns were one of the least penalized teams.

and anyway you want to put it, the best parts of the Jets are the pieces that Mangini built, and the worst parts are the pieces that Mangini traded to them, hello Sanchez and Edwards!

The formula the Jets are attempting to apply has worked fairly well over the years for certain teams to attain a Super Bowl victory. That formula being: a strong defense, a superior offensive line and a strong running game, a young QB or a veteran journeyman QB who nevertheless manages the game and does not make many mistakes, and capable WRs.

The master at it was Joe Gibbs. He won SBs with Joe Theisman ( a good, not great QB), Doug Williams (a capable QB), and Mark Rypien ( a fairly mediocre, but mistake free QB). They had runners like John Riggins, Ernest Byner, and Tim Smith. But Gibbs defense and O Lines were the cream of his SB teams.

Parcels also used essentially that same formula. Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler were capable, game management type QBs. We all know what they had at defense, plus they had steady runners like OJ Anderson, Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris.

Then go to the 2000 Ravens. Obviously a superior defense, and a great running game, with another veteran, make no mistake QB in Dilfer.

The pattern was repeated by the Buccaneers in 2002. Superior defense. Good running with Mike Alstott and Michael Pittman. Journeyman veteran QB with Brad Johnson.

Repeat the patter again in the Steelers 2005 season, except substitute the veteran QB with a young QB who is not asked to do too much. Outstanding defense and running game with Parker and Bettis.

When the Bears made the SB after the 2006 season, they essentially tried the same formula, but came up short.

The Steelers title last year was NOT of similar formula. They were a far more QB/WR oriented team. (though with any SB team you are gonna usually have to have a good defense).

And now, we have the Jets, trying essentially to repeat this formula. I personally would like them to take out the Colts, but I don't think that formula will work this year against either the Saints or Vikings if they make it that far. Maybe in another year or 2, but not this time around, I don't think.

ok but if mangini was great why would the Jets fire him and why did no other team have interest in him except for the browns?

Who knows whether or not any other team may have had an interest. Within hours literally of being fired by the Jets, he was name HC of the Browns. No other teams were even given an opportunity to talk to him. Or don't you recall that?

if you watched the game sat you saw a team with a strong defense and a strong running game get dismantled by a team that had not played for real in almost a month...the colts are going to do the same thing to the j-e-t-s-, a team with a strong defense and a strong running game but no consistent qb play....sanchez is going to get educuated this weekend big time...the jets are decent but lack a qb..and their coach is a squirrel...hell just a few weeks ago he was crying that the jets were no where near play off form..now he embraces the jets as world beaters....bad form

The formula the Jets are attempting to apply has worked fairly well over the years for certain teams to attain a Super Bowl victory. That formula being: a strong defense, a superior offensive line and a strong running game, a young QB or a veteran journeyman QB who nevertheless manages the game and does not make many mistakes, and capable WRs.

The master at it was Joe Gibbs. He won SBs with Joe Theisman ( a good, not great QB), Doug Williams (a capable QB), and Mark Rypien ( a fairly mediocre, but mistake free QB). They had runners like John Riggins, Ernest Byner, and Tim Smith. But Gibbs defense and O Lines were the cream of his SB teams.

Parcels also used essentially that same formula. Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler were capable, game management type QBs. We all know what they had at defense, plus they had steady runners like OJ Anderson, Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris.

Then go to the 2000 Ravens. Obviously a superior defense, and a great running game, with another veteran, make no mistake QB in Dilfer.

The pattern was repeated by the Buccaneers in 2002. Superior defense. Good running with Mike Alstott and Michael Pittman. Journeyman veteran QB with Brad Johnson.

Repeat the patter again in the Steelers 2005 season, except substitute the veteran QB with a young QB who is not asked to do too much. Outstanding defense and running game with Parker and Bettis.

When the Bears made the SB after the 2006 season, they essentially tried the same formula, but came up short.

The Steelers title last year was NOT of similar formula. They were a far more QB/WR oriented team. (though with any SB team you are gonna usually have to have a good defense).

And now, we have the Jets, trying essentially to repeat this formula. I personally would like them to take out the Colts, but I don't think that formula will work this year against either the Saints or Vikings if they make it that far. Maybe in another year or 2, but not this time around, I don't think.

((((())))) This is why I really don't miss Shep that much over here. He's in absolute, total, denial these scenarios ever existed, much less actually happened. In fact, I may even post this insight over on the renegade board with your permission, just to get another major rise out of him. I caused a near meltdown just reminding him about how he overrated and over defended Joey (you suck) Harrington.

PS It's damn obvious this is Mangini's path to SB victory- and if MH can get him another Bret Farve, it's dynasty in the making.

Archived