5th in yards per game

5th in passing yards per game

15th in rushing yards per game

Defense is another story:

30th in points allowed

22nd in yards allowed per game

17th in passing yards allowed per game

24th in rushing yards allowed per game

They're coming off a tough Colts game. I always like getting a team the week after a big game.

We have got to do something, and something fast, about our rush defense. I'm not sure what can be done, but the staff has to get more out of what they've got. We simply can not win football games with a defense that coughs up huge chunks on the ground with regularity.

Buffalo's special teams are highly regarded as we knew. I'm hoping our special teams play was simply an anomoly against a good opponent. We need Cribbs' and Crew to bounce back this week.

Offensively, we flat out have to make the move to RB by committee. Harrison has proven extremely valuable in the change of pace role and warrants 10-15 touches as has been mentioned time and again on these boards.

BE needs help. They need to find someone who can counsel him on focus. If he could only steal a page from Tiger Woods' book and learn to block out anything other than watching the ball into his hands. The guy could be special. He's huge, fast, can jump over a building, and gets open. We need him to shake free mentally.

Game plan. Continue to keep the game flowing. I liked the bootlegs, designed roll-outs, etc. What I didn't like last night was the volume of 3rd and 6+ we found ourselves in. Have to get more productive on 1st/2nd down.

They're coming off a tough Colts game. I always like getting a team the week after a big game.

We're coming off of a tough game as well, though, and those offensive stats are much better than ours.

This game has the smell of 'letdown' all over it. The defense has been letting us down for the last three games though, so I guess there is no change due for them.

Great points. Agree with all. Tired of these young QB's camping out in the pocket. Hard to blame our DB's for everything when they have to cover receivers for that long.

You know, it occurs to me, when did Quinn look best last year? When he and Harrison were in the ball game. Those two picked up chunks of yardage. At the time, cold water was thrown on their success. "It was against 3rd and 4th team D's", "they limited Quinn's plays", "they only let Quinn throw short passes", etc. And appropriately so at that point.

But now that Quinn is the starter and Harrison looks like a lighting in a bottle, maybe there's some magic to be had.

I get too go to one game a year for my birthday gift. So my Dad usually gets it close to my birthday on the 20th of November. So this is the game he got for me, and I hoping for a great birthday gift another win. This could make us 5-6 with the win and right back in the running for a wild card. So my hopes are up and hopefully romeo makes the switch to a 5-2 defense. I would love to see leonard, smith, rogers, williams, thomas as the front 5 and at linebacker have dwell and beau or dwell and hall. That would kill the run for sure...

GO BROWNS

Prediction: Browns 27 Houston 10

We're coming off of a tough game as well, though, and those offensive stats are much better than ours.

This game has the smell of 'letdown' all over it. The defense has been letting us down for the last three games though, so I guess there is no change due for them.

I am not sure about that 'offensive stats are better' comment.

With Quinn at QB:

Points per game: 29.5

Yards per game: 368

Passing YPG: 212

Rushing YPG: 156

I know it is only 2 games....but those stats were piled up against one good and one comparable defense...and Houston only has 17 sacks in 10 games...so Quinn should have time!!!

I am not sure about that 'offensive stats are better' comment.

With Quinn at QB:

Points per game: 29.5

Yards per game: 368

Passing YPG: 212

Rushing YPG: 156

I know it is only 2 games....but those stats were piled up against one good and one comparable defense...and Houston only has 17 sacks in 10 games...so Quinn should have time!!!

While this is true with Quinn under center, he is still a wild card - he'll have ups and downs. I don't really consider our offense 'improved' until we see it on a regular basis.

steve slaton flat-out terrifies me against our d. he's fast, agile and surprisingly strong for his size. the colts' defense is built for speed and he made them look silly. i think he can return kicks, too.

andre johnson is a monster. one of the less talked about receivers in football, but one of the best nonetheless. owen daniels is also underrated and kevin walter is the exact type of guy our corners have problems with: a big, physical receiver.

we have to hope that schaub stays out of this game. dealing with sage rosenfels gives us a chance. he's a fellow tribesman and i normally pull for him, but he's not that great of a QB. he somehow manages to put up decent numbers, but he crumbles under pressure and makes bad decisions.

still, houston has a lot of offensive weapons and three good defensive players. they could give us trouble.

steve slaton flat-out terrifies me against our d. he's fast, agile and surprisingly strong for his size. the colts' defense is built for speed and he made them look silly. i think he can return kicks, too.

andre johnson is a monster. one of the less talked about receivers in football, but one of the best nonetheless. owen daniels is also underrated and kevin walter is the exact type of guy our corners have problems with: a big, physical receiver.

we have to hope that schaub stays out of this game. dealing with sage rosenfels gives us a chance. he's a fellow tribesman and i normally pull for him, but he's not that great of a QB. he somehow manages to put up decent numbers, but he crumbles under pressure and makes bad decisions.

still, houston has a lot of offensive weapons and three good defensive players. they could give us trouble.

Slaton scares me as well....the way our LB's get swallowed up in by guards is ;) embarrasing

I think this game might to be a shootout. Houstons rush defense is terrible and their pass defense is not that good either. They do find a way to score they have a highly ranked passing offense and their rushing attack is not that bad either. If rosenfels keeps up his int prone ways it is possible we blow them out also.

I am of course thinking on the premise of game planning taking into consideration what their weaknesses are.... RAC and company have been SO good at that this year...

I went straight to the last post of this thread and was going to be a tool and comment before going back to read the thread.

What I was going to say was Slaton scares the hell out of me, but I see it was covered extensively.

Can and will, JD. This game will be a barnburner.

Browns 37

Texans 34

One thing i feel that will happen is, they will try to sack Quinn more often ... i know i would if i were an OC for the Texans. So we must do a better job of reading blitz. Also we need to blitz more often ...

Blitz + Screen = good yards on a blitz.

Let's hope the coaches figure out how to run a play where Harrison takes a quick screen and turns it for big yards during the blitz, then call it more then 1-3 times a game.

I'm not worried about Quinn's ability to handle the blitz any more than I would be with any other QB back there. And with his pocket presence and mobility, maybe a little less, at least until the MLB comes up the middle untouched, then its yard-sale for any QB.

As far as our D goes, it ALL comes down to pressure on the QB. Bring the flippin' house, more UFO, 62-stackmonster, something besides rushing 3 and dropping into zones or simple Cover-2.

Archived