THE BROWNS BOARD

2010 Cleveland Browns mock 5 rounds

CJ12

1. Joe Haden- 5'11- 181 pounds- Florida- Cornerback

Has good instinct, cover skills, and has potential to be a shut down corner. Him and Eric Wright could be a pretty good group.

Comparison: Leon Hall

2. Johnathan Dwyer- 6'0- 235 pounds- Georgia Tech- Running Back

Very fast for his size. Can be our "power back" and a good 1-2 punch with Jerome Harrison

Comparison: Marshawn Lynch

3. Morgan Burnett- 6'1- 215 pounds- Georgia Tech- Free Safety

A good pick for the third round and can help out our secondary.

Comparison: Jermaine Phillips

3b. Zac Robinson- 6'2- 210 pounds- Oklahoma State- Quarterback

One of the best quarterbacks at the senior bowl, and has potential.

Comparison: Matt Ryan

4. Freddie Barnes-6'0- 206 pounds- Bowling Green- Wide Reciever

Why waste a 1st round pick on a reciever when you cant get this guy in the 4th round?

This guy has great hands and goes up for the ball.

Comparison: Eddie Royal

5. Brandon Carter- 6'6- 326 pounds- Texas Tech- Offensive Tackle

This guy is huge, and pretty intemidating. He can manhandle opposing players. A good pick for the Browns in the 5th

That is a nice 6 picks, but Brandon Carter will probably end up as a guard, imho...

he was made to look heavy footed at practices at the East West Shrine game.... as well as maybe having a lack of balance. In the NFL, he's more like Shaffer on a bad day, I think.

I like the OT Alo mentioned - but he may be long gone by this pick, too. The offensive tackle needs to be able to handle the serious speed rushers, after they get tired

of being dominated by Joe Thomas and they flip to the right side. I think in this draft, we need an extra pick in the 3 or 4th rounds.

I think the first two picks must be Cleveland Browns.... I think Dwyer doesn't get to the Browns in the second round. I hope I'm wrong.

01/20/2010 - EAST-WEST SHRINE RISERS: OG Brandon Carter, Texas Tech: His 6-5, 326-pound is formidable, as are his all-over body tattoos, but Carter's strength and relatively quick feet (for his size) were as good live as they appeared on film. His strong punch off the snap will impress offensive line coaches, and he is able to get out to the second level. One point of emphasis those coaches will have, however, is for Carter to get his head up when on the move - he will lose his balance by staying low coming out of his stance. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/19/2010 - East-West Shrine Tuesday Practice: The West offensive line won battles of strength in the trenches, but couldn't handle the defensive line in one-on-one pass rush drills. Brandon Carter (Texas Tech) had too much power off the snap for Arizona's Earl Mitchell, and Iowa State guard/center Reggie Stephens anchored well against Mitchell during inside run drills. However, Mitchell and others exposed the heavy feet of Carter and Stephens when given the space. Carter also comes out of his three-point stance (which he didn't use much at Texas Tech) too low, lunging after linebackers and tackles and often losing his balance. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Who else in the 5th, you forgot 2 more picks. Hayden is a great pick, but the RB in the 2nd is probably not going to happen. The rest seems pretty good.

Joe Hayden DB

Nate Allen FS

Navarro Bowman LB, Tony Pike QB

Danario Alexandar WR

Eric Olsen OG, Ed Wang OT, Charles Scott RB

2 more for shits and giggles.

Brandon Lang LB, Leigh Tiffin K

Mike Kafka QB

1. Joe Haden- 5'11- 181 pounds- Florida- Cornerback

Has good instinct, cover skills, and has potential to be a shut down corner. Him and Eric Wright could be a pretty good group.

Comparison: Leon Hall

2. Johnathan Dwyer- 6'0- 235 pounds- Georgia Tech- Running Back

Very fast for his size. Can be our "power back" and a good 1-2 punch with Jerome Harrison

Comparison: Marshawn Lynch

3. Morgan Burnett- 6'1- 215 pounds- Georgia Tech- Free Safety

A good pick for the third round and can help out our secondary.

Comparison: Jermaine Phillips

3b. Zac Robinson- 6'2- 210 pounds- Oklahoma State- Quarterback

One of the best quarterbacks at the senior bowl, and has potential.

Comparison: Matt Ryan

4. Freddie Barnes-6'0- 206 pounds- Bowling Green- Wide Reciever

Why waste a 1st round pick on a reciever when you cant get this guy in the 4th round?

This guy has great hands and goes up for the ball.

Comparison: Eddie Royal

5. Brandon Carter- 6'6- 326 pounds- Texas Tech- Offensive Tackle

This guy is huge, and pretty intemidating. He can manhandle opposing players. A good pick for the Browns in the 5th

Thanks for the goodies to discuss CJ! Well done!

I really like the first choice and Zac Robinson. Dwyer could be a nice pick too. Carter looks like he'd be an absolute stealth if that's possible for a guy that size.

A few comments: I keep hearing we're all set at RB, which I completely disagree with regardless of how impressive I found Harrison to be. RBs get beat up in this league. If you played fantasy football, you get where I'm coming from. Therefore, it's realistic we will need another RB if anyone paid attention to how well the Saints utilized 3 very different RBs this season. Bush looked pretty fresh come post season while Pierre Thomas was their workhorse between the tackles. Aside from that, I don't think the Carolina Panthers ever had either of their first round RBs healthy at the same time. At this time, we also don't really have a RB with great hands out of the backfield to burn a blitz with. That's why I'm really intrigued by CJ Spiller in round 1 if we decide to go offense first.

- Tom F.

Thanks for the goodies to discuss CJ! Well done!

I really like the first choice and Zac Robinson. Dwyer could be a nice pick too. Carter looks like he'd be an absolute stealth if that's possible for a guy that size.

A few comments: I keep hearing we're all set at RB, which I completely disagree with regardless of how impressive I found Harrison to be. RBs get beat up in this league. If you played fantasy football, you get where I'm coming from. Therefore, it's realistic we will need another RB if anyone paid attention to how well the Saints utilized 3 very different RBs this season. Bush looked pretty fresh come post season while Pierre Thomas was their workhorse between the tackles. Aside from that, I don't think the Carolina Panthers ever had either of their first round RBs healthy at the same time. At this time, we also don't really have a RB with great hands out of the backfield to burn a blitz with. That's why I'm really intrigued by CJ Spiller in round 1 if we decide to go offense first.

- Tom F.

Dwyer does have good hands. Georgia Tech ran the triple option, so Dwyer didnt really have many chances to go out for a pass. But here's a video you can watch.

Dwyer does have good hands. Georgia Tech ran the triple option, so Dwyer didnt really have many chances to go out for a pass. But here's a video you can watch.

I've seen Dwyer enough to be impressed with him. To be able to be a go-to guy in the triple option - it necessitates the hand-eye coordination one requires for catching short swing passes out of the backfield. I like him especially if he's on our doorstep in round 2. You did a great job with your mock IMO!

I just thought you gave me a great opportunity to remind people that Spiller is out there for the taking where we will be drafting in round 1. I have a feeling we're going defense first; but Spiller's speed seperates him from the rest of we're contemplating going offensive scoreboard first. Spiller is a football player that is fast enough to be a STAR in track as well. There's that home run speed we've been longing for. Even though Dwyer has good hands - he's probably not gonna be Marshall Faulk at burying a blitz on a swing pass the way a Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, and Chris Johnson can be. Spiller should be alot closer to these guys in break away speed with the hands. Doesn't mean I don't like Dwyer if we draft a DB in round 1.

More rationale to at least consider Spiller with the first pick we have. Next year teams are gonna be better prepared to stop our running game so it would be nice to add the dangerous prong of Spiller (can lineup in the slot or come out of the backfield). The ONLY thing that makes an NFL blitz pay is speed. Nobody ever REALLY gave a crap if Faulk could block a blitzer; because asking him to block only justifies the blitz instead of burying it. When people start worrying about Chris Johnson's size because they're concerned about how well he'll block for his QB - I have to remind them there's a fullback in that same offense making more cake than the President of the United States so he can handle the blocking. That's the same reason we have Vickers here so I want speed and more speed at RB like the Saints are doing.

We're gonna have some pretty good choices at #7 but I have to agree with the best player available thing over the top need when we have 11 picks to make. I'm kind of shocked at the lack of pre-draft love Spiller is getting from the NFL personnel gurus. It reminds me alot of the reaction fans, media and many NFL experts had directed at Jeff Fisher the day he dared to take Chris Johnson over the huge need at WR. This of course, was right before a season they would go 13-3. More of that logic saying a 200 pound RB can't take an NFL beating quite the same way a 245 Michael Turner can. Which guy played the full season in 2009?

If you want to look at the impact of a GREAT RB - Tennessee had a passing game that was only capable of 12 TD passes in 16 games but it never stopped them from winning 13 games in 2008. Speed scores while the Reuben Droughns of the world remind us evolution has continued after the 60s. Worth noting: when Chris Johnson got injured in their 08 playoff game - Lendale White became another version of Reuben Droughns a Ratbird Defense could render useless. Telling Baltimore we have a BIG slow runningback that wants to play blood alley with Ray Lewis for 60 minutes is like promising them we're not planning on moving the football today or scoring any offensive TDs before they empty their bench in the 4th quarter.

- Tom F.

I've seen Dwyer enough to be impressed with him. To be able to be a go-to guy in the triple option - it necessitates the hand-eye coordination one requires for catching short swing passes out of the backfield. I like him especially if he's on our doorstep in round 2. You did a great job with your mock IMO!

I just thought you gave me a great opportunity to remind people that Spiller is out there for the taking where we will be drafting in round 1. I have a feeling we're going defense first; but Spiller's speed seperates him from the rest of we're contemplating going offensive scoreboard first. Spiller is a football player that is fast enough to be a STAR in track as well. There's that home run speed we've been longing for. Even though Dwyer has good hands - he's probably not gonna be Marshall Faulk at burying a blitz on a swing pass the way a Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, and Chris Johnson can be. Spiller should be alot closer to these guys in break away speed with the hands. Doesn't mean I don't like Dwyer if we draft a DB in round 1.

More rationale to at least consider Spiller with the first pick we have. Next year teams are gonna be better prepared to stop our running game so it would be nice to add the dangerous prong of Spiller (can lineup in the slot or come out of the backfield). The ONLY thing that makes an NFL blitz pay is speed. Nobody ever REALLY gave a crap if Faulk could block a blitzer; because asking him to block only justifies the blitz instead of burying it. When people start worrying about Chris Johnson's size because they're concerned about how well he'll block for his QB - I have to remind them there's a fullback in that same offense making more cake than the President of the United States so he can handle the blocking. That's the same reason we have Vickers here so I want speed and more speed at RB like the Saints are doing.

We're gonna have some pretty good choices at #7 but I have to agree with the best player available thing over the top need when we have 11 picks to make. I'm kind of shocked at the lack of pre-draft love Spiller is getting from the NFL personnel gurus. It reminds me alot of the reaction fans, media and many NFL experts had directed at Jeff Fisher the day he dared to take Chris Johnson over the huge need at WR. This of course, was right before a season they would go 13-3. More of that logic saying a 200 pound RB can't take an NFL beating quite the same way a 245 Michael Turner can. Which guy played the full season in 2009?

If you want to look at the impact of a GREAT RB - Tennessee had a passing game that was only capable of 12 TD passes in 16 games but it never stopped them from winning 13 games in 2008. Speed scores while the Reuben Droughns of the world remind us evolution has continued after the 60s. Worth noting: when Chris Johnson got injured in their 08 playoff game - Lendale White became another version of Reuben Droughns a Ratbird Defense could render useless. Telling Baltimore we have a BIG slow runningback that wants to play blood alley with Ray Lewis for 60 minutes is like promising them we're not planning on moving the football today or scoring any offensive TDs before they empty their bench in the 4th quarter.

- Tom F.

I agree with having two speed backs, but my last mock off-season got ripped by several people because i had the Browns taking Jerious Norwood from the Falcons in free agency. CJ could be a great pick, but do you think we would need to trade back with a team like the 49ers. I think that may work because i think Singletary would be all over Rolando McClain.

some really good picks! I like dwyer a lot too, running that triple option has him really prepared for the lumps he'll take in the NFL. Put me on board as stating Dwyer will be the better pro than spiller. However, just based on my assesment of needs, I'd like to see a sure LB or DE with that early 2nd pick and take a chance on a power RB later, like Charles Scott. I'm diggin all the other picks though, Freddie Barnes is going to do some good things in the NFL

I agree with having two speed backs, but my last mock off-season got ripped by several people because i had the Browns taking Jerious Norwood from the Falcons in free agency. CJ could be a great pick, but do you think we would need to trade back with a team like the 49ers. I think that may work because i think Singletary would be all over Rolando McClain.

CJ,

There's ALWAYS going to be differences of opinion in here so don't drive yourself nuts trying to please everyone. The best you can do is share your opinion, explain why and provide an example so people have an understanding of where you are coming from. I went back and found the mock draft you had where you brought up Norwood. You know what you were guilty of? Trying to strike up a conversation with other Browns fans. Looked to me like you were brainstorming ideas you thought we had a chance at exploring. The good thing about this board is you'll get some honest answers or opinions to stuff you post.

Personally I find mock drafts to be REALLY difficult; because I never have the first clue as to how guys get projected after round 1. For that matter, I don't always understand round 1. For example, last year at this time I was saying if I knew we were going to go offense first - I would want us to take Percy Harvin. I was told we were drafting too high for his value. Looking back on it, what's too early in round 1 for the Offensive Rookie of the Year? All that said, and this is pretty cool, one of our board members (Alo) cautioned me about Harvin's character. I thought he was just being a little overcautious. Then a few weeks later we would learn Harvin tested positive for marijuana so I at least saw where he was coming from with the caution thing.

If the draft was ever an exact science, 25 guys don't get drafted ahead of Ray Lewis nor does Tom Brady wait deep into round 6 before 1 NFL franchise deems him worthy of their roster. It's always been a crapshoot that keeps the turnover high in front offices. Understanding this along with our quest to improve - it sure is FUN for us to talk about draft prospects. Per your question about trading back - with 11 draft picks after 5 wins, I don't think we need to trade away anyone to add promising young players. I'd like to see what's out there in free agency in some areas where depth and talent are thin and let the draft take care of the rest.

- Tom F.

Trade Harrison, draft Spiller, and recreate Clemson's Thunder and Lightning. Just kidding, sort of.

Seriously, though. I would love to nab Freddie Barnes in the fourth, but if we don't I'd be happy with Carlton Mitchell from USF in the late 5th. He's got good measurables- 6'4" 210 lbs, runs a sub 4.5 40. He's a strong runner, and he finishes plays. His routes seem to be a little lazy at times, though. One thing he's shown that I like- he adjusts to the ball pretty well, unlike MoMass. I've watched some interviews of him, and the kid seems to be very well grounded as well as intelligent. Mitchell had a decent season this year, what with the Grothe injury and QB switch going on. I think he could be a great addition.

Another WR to watch out for is Marcus Easley from UConn. He's going to turn heads.

I have been looking at a lot of players. What would you think of Toby Gerhart in the 2nd or 3rd? I've seen mocks with him going in both rounds. The Browns struggled bigtime in the Redzone and Gerhart could clearly help with that. Not to mention he would really be the big bruising back to offset Harrison. He can clearly find the endzone...28 TD's to be exact. And he rarely takes negative yardage, he's always moving forward. He only had 42 negative yards rushing this season. How many other RB can say that?

I don't see the point in taking a Spiller or a Best, if you're going to keep Harrison. But a power back like Dwyer or Gerhart would be a great compliment. Since Dwyer will likely be gone in the 1st round, Gerhart would seem to be a good pick in the second...and an even better pick in the 3rd.

I have been looking at a lot of players. What would you think of Toby Gerhart in the 2nd or 3rd? I've seen mocks with him going in both rounds. The Browns struggled bigtime in the Redzone and Gerhart could clearly help with that. Not to mention he would really be the big bruising back to offset Harrison. He can clearly find the endzone...28 TD's to be exact. And he rarely takes negative yardage, he's always moving forward. He only had 42 negative yards rushing this season. How many other RB can say that?

I don't see the point in taking a Spiller or a Best, if you're going to keep Harrison. But a power back like Dwyer or Gerhart would be a great compliment. Since Dwyer will likely be gone in the 1st round, Gerhart would seem to be a good pick in the second...and an even better pick in the 3rd.

Is he the Mike Alstott of the new era, or is he the Tommy Vardell? I really loved watching Toby play this year. It seemed like he never wore down the whole game. He always had those beat red arms from people drilling their helmets into them. He is not crazy fast, but he has great vision. If he makes it to the 3rd, I would love to have him on our team. The more and more I watch CJ Spiller replays, he is so hard not to want to have. People gave the Reggie Bush comparison to him, but he looks like the real deal at running back, we do need a play maker on O and he would be electrifying. If we dont get a rb in the 1st two rounds, then take Toby.

Who else in the 5th, you forgot 2 more picks. Hayden is a great pick, but the RB in the 2nd is probably not going to happen. The rest seems pretty good.

Joe Hayden DB

Nate Allen FS

Navarro Bowman LB, Tony Pike QB

Danario Alexandar WR

Eric Olsen OG, Ed Wang OT, Charles Scott RB

2 more for shits and giggles.

Brandon Lang LB, Leigh Tiffin K

Mike Kafka QB

Kafka for QB? What? Can't find a guy named Camus or Sartre? (May have to scour the MLS waiver wire for those guys)

Kafka for QB? What? Can't find a guy named Camus or Sartre? (May have to scour the MLS waiver wire for those guys)

Not for QB. We'll need a Kafka to work the media. It's going to take a fiction writer with some balls in order to positively spin everything Mangini does around here.

Archived