THE BROWNS BOARD

Tim Tebow Unveiling New Delivery

Tim Couch Pulls Out

Tebow to unveil new delivery at pro day

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Tim Tebow is, essentially, painting over the masterpiece he created at the University of Florida.

In an effort to quiet his critics and refine his game, Tebow is changing the way he holds a football, shifting it from his waist to his shoulder. He is concentrating on taking three- and five-step drops instead of working out of the shotgun formation he used at Florida.

He will not unveil Tebow 2.0 at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, preferring instead to wait for his pro day at the University of Florida on March 17.

But until then, he will continue working on improving his fundamentals in an effort to improve his draft position and his game.

"But there are things that I can get a lot better at -- my fundamentals. I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it. The changes I'm making have gone very well and it's becoming more and more natural to me."

Asked if he would have embarked on such an extensive and exhausting process had his performance at the Senior Bowl not been so roundly criticized, Tebow said: "Probably, just because of the quarterback coaches I've been working with. I want to get better. I want to be around people who will push me. I will do anything to get better. Without hearing the criticism, I would have done it.

"It's made me more confident, more accurate. And that's not to say I haven't had this type of coaching in the past. I just have had different coaching than this NFL style."

Tebow has been tutored in a pro-style way by working with a coaching team that includes former NFL offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman, Arizona State's new offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and former NFL head coach Sam Wyche.

Bratkowski has concentrated on getting Tebow to raise the football to where it now does not dip lower than his shoulder. The delivery that allowed Tebow to complete over 67 percent of his passes at Florida but the one that also was roundly questioned during and after the Senior Bowl has begun to be made over at the pre-draft workouts in Nashville.

Much of the work has started with Tebow's feet, which were accustomed to working out of a shotgun offense. Bratkowski and others have drilled Tebow on the requisite footwork that he will need to become a successful NFL quarterback.

Anyone who has seen Tebow has noticed the difference -- already.

"You're not looking at the same quarterback," said Bratkowski, who has worked with quarterbacks such as San Diego's Philip Rivers, Philadelphia's Michael Vick and Boomer Esiason. "To say we're there 100 percent where we want to be, no. But we'll be more improved come pro day than we are at this point in time now."

Tebow still will attend this week's combine, go through his medical tests, meet with coaches, and do everything but throw. Then he will return to Gainesville to further work on upgrading his fundamentals with Bratkowski and others so that Tebow will not revert back to his old ways during his upcoming workouts.

"That's the reason we're trying to rep it and rep it and rep it," Bratkowski said. Those who have seen Tebow's new delivery believe it is noticeably quicker.

"The ball is coming out a lot faster now," Trestman said. Yet what most impressed Trestman about Tebow was not the quarterback's adaptability but his mental capacity.

"His intelligence level is as high as any quarterback I've encountered coming out of college," Trestman said. "His intelligence is off the charts. After spending time with Tim, it was evident that he learned a lot of football in his four years at Florida -- a lot.

"As a result he has been able to quickly adapt and make corrections in his throwing motion and footwork that will allow him to get the ball out faster and improve his accuracy. He has more than enough arm strength and shown he can make all the throws at the next level. He has only been at it for a few weeks so I can only anticipate he will continue to improve."

Bratkowski said the coaches learn more from Tebow than he learns from them. His intelligence has enabled him to grasp what the coaches are trying to teach.

Many, including ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay, questioned how Tebow's delivery would translate at the NFL level.

Other quarterbacks have tried a similar approach, achieving mixed results. From the time he left Tennessee and arrived in Indianapolis, quarterback Peyton Manning changed and perfected his delivery. Former No. 1 overall pick David Carr once changed his, but never managed to make it consistently work.

Other high-profile athletes in other sports have changed their game, as well. Through the years, Tiger Woods has changed his golf swing on multiple occasions. Now Tebow is waging a similar battle, trying to upgrade his fundamentals in time for his NFL pro day, so teams can be impressed enough with him to draft him higher than they currently have him slotted.

"Things like this are challenges for him," Bratkowski said. "He doesn't have rabbit ears, but he knows what people are saying and he hears it -- and that motivates him. He is working hard to make sure what he is doing now is something he can showcase later."

Tebow does not plan to wait long.

"I've done this several thousand times," Tebow said. "With continued work, I will have this down pat by minicamp. It will be like second nature. It's not like it feels awkward to me now. I'm excited about the changes I've made."

After watching the video, his mechanics do look a hell of a lot better. Would he be worth taking a shot on in a later round? It's definitely worth checking out his Pro Day, I love his attitude already. If he can mechanically become a viable NFL QB, he'd be a hell of an asset.

Plus, he had a badass beard when working in the pass skele drills outside. He reminded me of Rocky in Rocky 4.

I'd take him with our second round pick.

In the end, that would be a steal.

The easy part of QBing is the footwork and arm position.

This isn't changing how the guy throws....just where he holds the ball.

He has all the tough stuff down pretty good.

I have a feeling both Holmgren and Mangini are going to like the kid when they sit down and talk football.

For a while now people have been talking all we need is a game manager....well, he is a game manager....and a lot more.

We could win championships with him.

I have a feeling both Holmgren and Mangini are going to like the kid when they sit down and talk football.

For a while now people have been talking all we need is a game manager....well, he is a game manager....and a lot more.

Florida Homer alert

Changing where he holds the ball will change how he throws tremendously. For one, it will take a substantial amount of time from his release. That will affect his accuracy, because it will take him less time for the ball to actually come out of his hand. Tebow had one of, if not the longest deliveries in college football. I'd place him second in the past 20 years to Byron Leftwich. The guy just took a week to throw the ball. This new ball positioning and release could cut that delivery time in half. He looks a lot sharper in the video.

Secondly, it could either take some zip off of his throws, or make his throws faster, depending on his footwork. You see a lot of college QB's try to strongarm their passes because it's the way they were taught in high school. They don't incorporate their entire body into the throw, and all of the power comes from their abdominals and up. Jamarcus Russell is a good example of this. Russell was glorified because of his arm strength, and they showcased it by having him throw a number of passes from his knees as well as sitting on the ground. The guy could throw something like 70 yards from his knees, and 50 sitting down. I believe Kyle Boller could do the same thing, or something pretty close. It was crazy. Unfortunately, it proved Jamarcus was all upper body. Tebow was guilty of this too, although not to the extent of Jamarcus.

As any viable QB coach can tell you, 80% of a person's throw power comes from their legs. If you watch some of the great QB's over time, you'll notice that when they throw those 15-30 yard bullets, or those 70 yard bombs, they plant that back foot and drive straight through the throw. In college, Tebow rarely dropped back. Most of his passes were out of shotgun, and a hefty amount of them were on the run. That's what's been killing his stock, we all know this. It was a rarity to see him plant his feet when he threw. Tebow had a hell of an arm, but it was all arm and really nothing else. Sort of like Jamarcus, but a hell of a lot better.

Now, if Tebow really adapts well to the 3,5, and 7-step drops (which I honestly expect him to do), his throwing power could benefit from his new release. He'll be able to plant that foot and fire a rocket in there. But if Tebow's footwork doesn't come along (like Jamarcus' never did) and he tries to incorporate his new release with his old footwork, his throws will lose a substantial amount of zip on them. Basically, Tebow has to become a completely different QB than what he was used to by March 17th. He's come a long way, it seems. The footwork seems to be the last part of the puzzle.

In the end, changing his ball positioning and release will greatly affect the way he throws, but in a positive way. That is, if everything goes according to plan.

I am a HUGE fan of this kid & I agree. I think he'll lead SOME team to a Championship some day. I'm hoping it's the Browns.

Mike

Florida Homer alert

I won't deny that....as a Florida alumni, it is hard to be anything else.

I do however try to be objective.

I do think the guy has the qualities it takes to be a winner and leader at the position.

The last Fla player I felt this way about was Emmett Smith...people kept saying he wasn't big enough or good enough....wasn't going to be more then some option...this was before the net, so I still see some of these people ;)

I won't deny that....as a Florida alumni, it is hard to be anything else.

I do however try to be objective.

I do think the guy has the qualities it takes to be a winner and leader at the position.

The last Fla player I felt this way about was Emmett Smith...people kept saying he wasn't big enough or good enough....wasn't going to be more then some option...this was before the net, so I still see some of these people ;)

fair enough it was just funny how you were all gushy

"He can win Championships"

I wouldn't mind a 3rd a second I would have to think about.

I am all for spending a second on him.

I was very critical of the guy his first couple years, basically because I see this kid with his bible pusher attitude getting all the good press, and I’m thinking this guy’s full of $hit, he’s out drinking whiskey and plowing whores just like the rest of us. Plus helping beat us down in the bcs title game didn’t help.

But He has grown on me and I think this kid is the real deal. He wants to win and he is defiantly a team player.

I don’t see his release or footwork being a problem he’s a qb and just needs a little coaching and he’ll get it. He has the root movements down now all he has to do is practice a better way of doing things.

Not much different than a major league pitcher that can only throw a 95mph heater, with some coaching and practice he will be able to throw a change up.

Tebow started working on improving his mechanics right after the senior bowl to show scouts and coaches that he can do it.

The only downfall that I see is that he can’t forget about the mistakes that he made like the elite qb’s do. He seems to get down on himself and stays down for the entire game; the senior bowl was a perfect example. Now how does that translate to the nfl when the game speeds way up and you are getting slammed to the turf? Most rookies are shocked at how much faster the game is and have a hard time adjusting.

But he did play in SEC arguably the fastest and best division in college football for the past 4 years, so that may give him a leg up.

But then again what ever happened to Chris leak?

I am all for spending a second on him.

I was very critical of the guy his first couple years, basically because I see this kid with his bible pusher attitude getting all the good press, and I’m thinking this guy’s full of $hit, he’s out drinking whiskey and plowing whores just like the rest of us. Plus helping beat us down in the bcs title game didn’t help.

But He has grown on me and I think this kid is the real deal. He wants to win and he is defiantly a team player.

I don’t see his release or footwork being a problem he’s a qb and just needs a little coaching and he’ll get it. He has the root movements down now all he has to do is practice a better way of doing things.

Not much different than a major league pitcher that can only throw a 95mph heater, with some coaching and practice he will be able to throw a change up.

Tebow started working on improving his mechanics right after the senior bowl to show scouts and coaches that he can do it.

The only downfall that I see is that he can’t forget about the mistakes that he made like the elite qb’s do. He seems to get down on himself and stays down for the entire game; the senior bowl was a perfect example. Now how does that translate to the nfl when the game speeds way up and you are getting slammed to the turf? Most rookies are shocked at how much faster the game is and have a hard time adjusting.

But he did play in SEC arguably the fastest and best division in college football for the past 4 years, so that may give him a leg up.

But then again what ever happened to Chris leak?

Right, it was Leak, not Tebow that led Florida to that first title over OSU. And what kind of pro career has he had? None that I know of. I think he may be in Canada.

To me, Tebow is worth maybe a 6th rounder. Worth a shot if we have 10 other picks, but not worth the investment of a higher pick.

Could he impress enough to move into round 1? I certainly hope not! That would be a heck of a change...

He could become a Steve Young type QB if the delivery issues are taken care of.

If Holmgren thinks this is his guy don't be surprised if we take him in the 1st. It doesn't matter where other teams have him ranked because it only takes one team to take him in late round 1 to screw everything up.

Could he impress enough to move into round 1? I certainly hope not! That would be a heck of a change...

He could become a Steve Young type QB if the delivery issues are taken care of.

Sure he can.....just wait for people to start talking to the guy. The guy is sharp.

Tim Tebow = Gino Torretta

I don't think so.

To the largest degree, Miami made Toretta with the talent around him.

To a large degree, Tebow made Florida, even with the talent around him.

There is a big difference.

I don't think so.

To the largest degree, Miami made Toretta with the talent around him.

To a large degree, Tebow made Florida, even with the talent around him.

There is a big difference.

I am not so sure. Florida won with Chris Leak. They could have probably continued to win with the likes of Chris Leak, or Tim Tebow or Daffy Duck (well, maybe not Daffy....Donald Duck). I think it is a perfect apt analogy. I guess time will tell.

In Tebow's case, as with all players......We'll see.

IMHO, the kid is a winner & he'll do whatever is required to be a winner in the NFL. You can't coach attitude & pride....his are off the charts on the positive end.

Mike

Chris Leak was terrible and had a very weak arm is why he never made it in the NFL... Tebow's biggest hurdle is gonna be learning to read defenses and not just take off running if option 1 isn't there..

Sorry man....you don't know what you are talking about.

I am not so sure. Florida won with Chris Leak. They could have probably continued to win with the likes of Chris Leak, or Tim Tebow or Daffy Duck (well, maybe not Daffy....Donald Duck). I think it is a perfect apt analogy. I guess time will tell.

Come on man.....you're just talking smack here......just admit it and we move on.

If not, you are seriously trying to say a cartoon character would be a better QB??

I heard his new delivery involves snapping the ball, dropping back, praying really hard and then having angels deliver the ball to his receivers.

And you're telling me you wouldn't pay to watch that? Growing up "Angels in the Outfield" was one of my favorite movies.

Archived