THE BROWNS BOARD

Scouting combine, so far

calfoxwc

Not a big fan - Brown struggles with his sideline accuracy and lets his footwork go haywire when facing pressure. At the Texas vs. the Nation practices, he reportedly was hesitant to throw into tight windows, which raises red flags about his confidence & arm strength.

Levi's got decent tools, especially for a guy who's more of a late round prospect. But I'm not particularly optimistic about him ever becoming an NFL starter.

Haden will be re-running that 40 at his pro day, ... he looks outstanding on the various agility drills.

It's hard to believe he runs the 40 that "slow".

Does it change his status if he runs the 4.57/4.6 at his pro day ?

I honestly don't know. But one guy covering the combine says Earl Thomas is the best safety in the draft.

We could trade down, get another 2nd round pick, and still get Earl Thomas.

Oh, THIS draft is going to get crazy.

I'm concerned. Yeah, Ray Lewis ran a slow 40 too, but 4.56 is reeeeeaaalllly slow for an elite corner. If he had run a 4.4 or a 4.3 he'd be our guy. The Browns will have to watch a ton of game film before they come to a decision on Hayden.

OTOH instincts can make up for lack of straight line speed, or the other way around. Got a feeling Taylor Mays' clocked 4.24 track speed makes up for lack of instincts.

I think I'd draft Earl Thomas and play him at cb now.

Then I could draft Kam, or one of a couple of other big safeties later on.

Earl Thomas has it all. His stock is rising. I can see it now with this draft -

a lot of NFL teams will have their people sitting around their draft room,

deciding on their draft projections, and each team will be rof,l at how many

different ways it could go...

I'm concerned. Yeah, Ray Lewis ran a slow 40 too, but 4.56 is reeeeeaaalllly slow for an elite corner. If he had run a 4.4 or a 4.3 he'd be our guy. The Browns will have to watch a ton of game film before they come to a decision on Hayden.

OTOH instincts can make up for lack of straight line speed, or the other way around. Got a feeling Taylor Mays' clocked 4.24 track speed makes up for lack of instincts.

i wasn't confident enough to say anything before, since i don't follow Florida nor have i seen any full games, but i wasn't overly impressed with Haden in the highlights. in fairness they were out of context but i did watch scads of them.

he looked very fundamentally sound and quick but to be taken @ #7...

in my amateur opinion i certainly couldn't tell if i was looking at a potential elite nfl CB or not. and with these 40 times? imo he's suspect at #7.

what i probably liked most was his personality. he seemed like he could fit in pretty well as a Brown from what i can tell, and although i'm skeptical i figure the coaches could scrutinize the measurements.

now i've never seen any USC games in their entirety either but having said that, Taylor Mays speed shows up on film load and clear. he obviously can't take those risks in the pros but if he can be coached up the sky's the limit for this kid.

if he has the ability to cover nfl WRs i'd like to see if they can convert him to CB first and then safety later in his career. Adrian Peterson speed at CB? he might even save a touchdown if he was deep on the play.

if they traded out of the #7 got some picks and took Mays later as our 1st pick i wouldn't complain at all.

After seing NFL network's replay of Mays beating everybody but still getting a slower "official" time, who's to say Haden's time is even accurate?

Seriously, its probably on NFL.com. They show multiple players running the 40 simultaneously and Mays beats everybody. He even beat Best and Spiller and still got a slower time.

Again, the combine is joke.

after seeing "locks" become "busts" year after year i just have reservations about picking in the top ten in general. missing there is truly subtraction by addition and it hurts for years. there's no sense in it when we can find good players later.

i really hope they try to get more picks--it IS a crapshoot but the more shots on goal the better chance of scoring.

Archived