THE BROWNS BOARD

Chompin' At The Bit Here......Can We Do SOMETHING????

miktoxic

i'm sure the front office is on the phone but i thought we would have jumped at something by now. is Rolle signed yet? i would think we'd go after a safety in FA. how about one of the safeties from indy? what's the news on the wire? come on lerner open them pockets and let's GO!!!!

i'm sure the front office is on the phone but i thought we would have jumped at something by now. is Rolle signed yet? i would think we'd go after a safety in FA. how about one of the safeties from indy? what's the news on the wire? come on lerner open them pockets and let's GO!!!!

This week has been unbearable for me, I expected us to make a big splash in FA. But it seems like we're either biding our time, or we really are focusing on the draft.

My wishlist (in order of want, not necessarily need): Kevin Walter, Thomas Jones, Troy Smith, Scott Fujita, Will Witherspoon, Kyle Bannan

I'd be happy with any one of them.

This week has been unbearable for me, I expected us to make a big splash in FA. But it seems like we're either biding our time, or we really are focusing on the draft.

My wishlist (in order of want, not necessarily need): Kevin Walter, Thomas Jones, Troy Smith, Scott Fujita, Will Witherspoon, Kyle Bannan

I'd be happy with any one of them.

exactly. i can't agree more. it's like the build up to the draft. and what sucks for me is i don't have the cleveland sports radio or tv inside shit like you guys. i'm bouncing back between web sites and watching the bottom line scroll on espn as if my stock just shit the bed. pleeeeeez, do somethin!!!

I'm a little surprised as well. Not that I am anxious, just thought they might have signed someone by now. Maybe that is being anxious. :unsure:

exactly. i can't agree more. it's like the build up to the draft. and what sucks for me is i don't have the cleveland sports radio or tv inside shit like you guys. i'm bouncing back between web sites and watching the bottom line scroll on espn as if my stock just shit the bed. pleeeeeez, do somethin!!!

Good Stuff Toxic!!!! I think jones or walter are likely. Now that the ravens look to be getting boldin that scratches the most likely team for walter off the list. Fujita you may hear something about tomorrow when he visits berea.

Bullshit. So far the only players confirmed we have went after is a backup NT and a pretty average linebacker. We COULD be more active then that. Sorry folks, but it just feels like deja vu all over again when we started shipping off talented players last offseason and barely made a scratch in FA. So far we've traded a damn good DT and a 7th rounder for peanuts(Mankok would've at least worked a 3rd or 4th for Corey), are shopping Rodgers and Harrison and not bringing hardly anyone in as everyone else grabs them up?!

I don't give a shit about potential trades, unless it's a franchise QB(or a legit #1 WR for a measly 3rd rounder), either. Unless the far fetched rumor of swapping 1sts with Philly for McNabb then signing Brandon Marshall ever happened. I'd rather have signed Dansby and Bodden, then go after Gibril Wilson, Akin Ayodele(for depth at ILB), Thomas Jones and maybe a few other players. Then trade up and down and all around getting as many picks in rounds 1-3 as possible and concentrating our energies there.

Sorry for going off on a rant, but I figured we'd do SOMETHING by now to improve our team.

No offense but this isn't Madden where you can trade at will and sign anyone you want. Williams is a good DT in a 4 - 3 he did not fit in our 3 - 4 and he wasn't worth the money we put into him. Plus the 5th rounder isn't as bad as you think given this years draft. Scott Fujita is more than just an "average" linebacker. He performs year in and year out and would bring a leadership presence to this team if we can sign him.

Most of the big name guys that signed today were in talks with these teams for a week or so before FA officially began as well. We never had a chance at them. Don't get too upset, there's still a lot of valuable guys out there that could help us out, besides it's the first day of FA and there's still a long way to go before the draft and before the beginning of training camp.

I'm glad we haven't done much so far. You build a team through the draft. I believe you get a player or two in FA if you have a staggering need or acquire trades to build through the draft. I would be happy with Fujita, but other than that I could care less if we acquire any other players.

No offense but this isn't Madden where you can trade at will and sign anyone you want. Williams is a good DT in a 4 - 3 he did not fit in our 3 - 4 and he wasn't worth the money we put into him. Plus the 5th rounder isn't as bad as you think given this years draft. Scott Fujita is more than just an "average" linebacker. He performs year in and year out and would bring a leadership presence to this team if we can sign him.

Most of the big name guys that signed today were in talks with these teams for a week or so before FA officially began as well. We never had a chance at them. Don't get too upset, there's still a lot of valuable guys out there that could help us out, besides it's the first day of FA and there's still a long way to go before the draft and before the beginning of training camp.

you're right next2nothing, but man, the way the season ended for us on a high note and the pocketfull of draft picks we have, the new regime, i just felt that we WOULD make a splash. drafting key position players is great and all but with a couple of good to above average plug-ins right now...........would mean alot to the team and it's fans who've been waiting for the 'big turn around'. it seems like we get rid of players all the time to restock and nothing ever pans out. i know these guys are smart but sometimes hitting out of the rough with a 3 wood is a risk......until it lands a foot away from the hole on the green. GO BROWNS!!

. So far we've traded a damn good DT and a 7th rounder for peanuts(Mankok would've at least worked a 3rd or 4th for Corey), are shopping Rodgers and Harrison and not bringing hardly anyone in as everyone else grabs them up?!

Agree... we got hosed in the deal with Detroit...giving up up great depth on the D-line and a seventh rounder...for a 5th....yep a fifth round pick....grrrrrrrrr Not the way I'd have liked this regime to start.... Detroit got a steal.

Rolle signs five-year, $37M deal with Giants

Posted: March 5th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: 2010 Free Agency, Antrel Rolle, New York Giants

The Giants have signed safety Antrel Rolle to a five-year, $37 million contract with $15 million guaranteed and $22.5 million due in the first three years, according to a league source.

Rolle, who had 72 tackles and four interceptions last season with the Cardinals, becomes the highest-paid safety in NFL history.

you see. this is what i'm talking about! grow some stones!

My point was so far we haven't even made the effort. We scheduled a backup NT and yes an average LB to come in tomorrow. One is gone. We could've been one of those teams making calls weeks ago regarding players. We could be making some calls scheduling some players today, no reports that we are. Plus it's not like we're even a mediocre team at this point, we're bad. We're not good. Trading for and stockpiling a bunch of 5th rounders isn't going to fix the hole this team is in.

i agree with junkyarddawg. it's time to put up or shutup. make a freakin move already. we've been playin it safe for too many years now.

I feel that its the coach we have thats the reason no one wants to come here. Eric has such a bad rep with people in the NFL. Eric makes people uneasy he has so a smarky way about himself. Plus he don't want guys who challenge his bonehead ways.

I feel that its the coach we have thats the reason no one wants to come here. Eric has such a bad rep with people in the NFL. Eric makes people uneasy he has so a smarky way about himself. Plus he don't want guys who challenge his bonehead ways.

I dont think any coach wants thier players to challenge his ways. And, IMO, if he has a bad rep from holding players accountable and making them work hard then so be it. I like the culture change in Cleveland and I think it will yeild results sooner than some think.

I dont think any coach wants thier players to challenge his ways. And, IMO, if he has a bad rep from holding players accountable and making them work hard then so be it. I like the culture change in Cleveland and I think it will yeild results sooner than some think.

I agree with you. We were so use to romeo's wimpy decisions like not practicing in the rain, that i'm sure some of the players hated him. He's making the players work hard and play hard and that's what we need.

Any time you make a move in free agency you are, by definition, overspending. You are paying more for a particular person than every other team in the NFL. i'm glad we're not overspending at this ealry point in the regime.

By giving up seemingly a good player for a draft pick (Mangini's tendency last year) demonstrates to me that Mangini and the front office truly are on the same page. If we make a move, it won't be for the sake of doing something. i'm encouraged by this approach to building the team.

Holy crap, where do you people come from?

Who in free agency do you think we are missing out on?

If Mangini has such a bad rep with the "people in the NFL" why did Mike Holmgren come here? Why did Heckert? Why did they both keep him?

Smarky? Smarky?

What's bonehead about his ways? You mean discipline, you mean accountability, don't you? Yeah, that's really boneheaded alright.

Wake up, marqui. This is how things need to be done to be successful over time. The worst is behind us. Now that Coach Mangini can just be the coach and the Holmgren-Heckert combo brings the guys in, we're going to get better.

Everything you say about Mangini is media-driven horsesh*t.

Any time you make a move in free agency you are, by definition, overspending. You are paying more for a particular person than every other team in the NFL. i'm glad we're not overspending at this ealry point in the regime.

By giving up seemingly a good player for a draft pick (Mangini's tendency last year) demonstrates to me that Mangini and the front office truly are on the same page. If we make a move, it won't be for the sake of doing something. i'm encouraged by this approach to building the team.

Agreed,your correct,overspending.Unless your 1 or 2 players away from a contender there's no need to drop millions just to be active in free agency.The last 10 years the free agent market hasn't won any playoff games with any players brought in .Trade players for picks,build through the draft.

I was refering to the Browns,not the Saints,Patriots,or several other teams!

So don't you think it's time we took a page out of their book, then? I mean if they're consistently winning doing what they are doing and we're consistently losing following our system, I would imagine that something needs to change, right?

So don't you think it's time we took a page out of their book, then? I mean if they're consistently winning doing what they are doing and we're consistently losing following our system, I would imagine that something needs to change, right?

I believe they built through the draft to start.They have had top notch front office personel making smart football decisions.And look who's standing under center!

I believe they built through the draft to start.They have had top notch front office personel making smart football decisions.And look who's standing under center!

the cycle of ineptitude is what makes me crazy. "build through the draft." UH, YEAH :huh: . but if there's someone available in FA that could fill a slot (a slot that you're thinking of filling with a draft pick..........a rookie that could take years in developing to play at the nfl level) that you can sign right now, why not do it? if the draft pick turns out to be, in 3 years, as good as the guy in FA you're gonna have to pay him then anyways! you see? why do teams salivate at this time of the year? because signing someone with a proven track record makes an instant impact.

and btw, look how good brady looked with a chinsy offensive line last year. couch could have been a pro bowler if he had someone to block for his ass.

a rookie that could take years in developing to play at the nfl level) that you can sign right now, why not do it? i

because then your replacing that rookie with a vet, subsequently taking away snaps and playing time from him. so when your coveted old washed up vet decided to hang it up, we're in the same xxxxing place we started....

is it that hard to understand? youre stunting the young guys development in favor of a 2 year stop gap....

how the hell are we supposed to develop players if we sign every old vet that has a pulse? you just have no patience, like 75% of other fans.

because then your replacing that rookie with a vet, subsequently taking away snaps and playing time from him. so when your coveted old washed up vet decided to hang it up, we're in the same xxxxing place we started....

is it that hard to understand? youre stunting the young guys development in favor of a 2 year stop gap....

choco: i don't think you understand. and your argument doesn't hold water (my cousin vinny). i'm not saying sign an old washed-up vet. get it. would you say julius peppers is old and washed-up? how about rolle or bethea? if a guy has only been in the league for 3 or 4 years and now is a free agent and has proven his worth, isn't he less a risk than signing and developing (if he can) a rookie? and who cares about taking snaps and playing time away from a rookie if we don't have that rookie to begin with. geeez! you would think that the fans like me just want holmgren and the others to open the doors and spit out money. NO!!! just show some interest and get in the game. you've got to be in it to win it.

we both want the same thing. a winning browns team. there is more than one way to skin a cat. try opening your eyes and seeing someone else's point of view rather than dismissing the notion as misguided and inpatient. yeah i'm inpatient. and i've been that way since the 70's and we still haven't done shit!!!!!

Moses, you said it all when you mentioned being one or two players away. That's when you 'make a splash'. Other than that, you're just looking for solid vets with 4-5 good years left in them. You try and fill an immediate need in FA at positions that the draft is either weak in, or you don't think you will get a decent enough guy in the spots you pick. For example, if you want Berry, Haden, Bryant, or Spiller you know they can step right in and have an impact. So, you won't go and overpay for a WR, S, or DB in free agency. We have a lot of picks, and 9 are in the first 5 rounds of a very deep draft. We are in excellent position to make some real progress in this draft. It really would not serve us well to go and overpay for a Peppers or Sharper and end up having what we had the last two years with Rogers; a really good player on a really bad team making a lot of money and who will be past their prime by the time we put something around them that can be competitive.

Moses, you said it all when you mentioned being one or two players away. That's when you 'make a splash'. Other than that, you're just looking for solid vets with 4-5 good years left in them. You try and fill an immediate need in FA at positions that the draft is either weak in, or you don't think you will get a decent enough guy in the spots you pick. For example, if you want Berry, Haden, Bryant, or Spiller you know they can step right in and have an impact. So, you won't go and overpay for a WR, S, or DB in free agency. We have a lot of picks, and 9 are in the first 5 rounds of a very deep draft. We are in excellent position to make some real progress in this draft. It really would not serve us well to go and overpay for a Peppers or Sharper and end up having what we had the last two years with Rogers; a really good player on a really bad team making a lot of money and who will be past their prime by the time we put something around them that can be competitive.

so what is your time table of when the 'big turn around' comes? fo real? if it's not within that timespan that you just described do you think we'll still have the same front office, coaching staff or even ownership at that point? i'm not saying that 2010 is gonna be the year but to say a player like peppers or boldin or rolle couldn't come in and make a difference is ludacris. man i ain't that young to keep this "rebuilding/build with the draft" bullshit going on forever. do you think people in chicago right now are pissed because they went out and spent money? if you do, you're wrong.

. So far we've traded a damn good DT and a 7th rounder for peanuts(Mankok would've at least worked a 3rd or 4th for Corey), are shopping Rodgers and Harrison and not bringing hardly anyone in as everyone else grabs them up?!

Agree... we got hosed in the deal with Detroit...giving up up great depth on the D-line and a seventh rounder...for a 5th....yep a fifth round pick....grrrrrrrrr Not the way I'd have liked this regime to start.... Detroit got a steal.

agreed. if it were Detroit's pick i wouldn't bitch much cuz at least that would be like a very high 4th rounder...but it's not, it's Denver's. and we gave up our 7th, which to me is like a poor-man's 6th rounder.

WE GOT ROBBED.

My point was so far we haven't even made the effort. We scheduled a backup NT and yes an average LB to come in tomorrow. One is gone. We could've been one of those teams making calls weeks ago regarding players. We could be making some calls scheduling some players today, no reports that we are. Plus it's not like we're even a mediocre team at this point, we're bad. We're not good. Trading for and stockpiling a bunch of 5th rounders isn't going to fix the hole this team is in.

you sure they haven't been making calls for weeks?

"it's not like we're even a mediocre team at this point, we're bad. We're not good"...so why would anyone want to come into that and play for Mangini?

i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and understand that we as fans don't know everything that goes on. even though it's a new FO there's no way they've just been sitting around on their hands--there's probably good reason for everything, and decisions are consensual now.

The same reason Reggie White and others went with Holmgren in Green Bay, because the man goes places everywhere he's ever been. Which we'll likely see happening next offseason on, when there is a winner at the top players follow.

it's exciting to think about and will make all the difference at this time of year. it's funny, once you are an established perennial contender with a ring or two free agents just come to you. meanwhile the bottom feeders are furiously wrestling over the scraps left over.

trying to catch flys with vinegar for decades over here.

Archived