THE BROWNS BOARD

Things We CAN Do To Improve

Flugel

1. Start Harrison. It's been said countless times by countless people. We're all conscious on game day. Not sure why this is summer school level with our coaching staff but it is. Jamal hasn't run a 4.28 forty since he ran for 500 yards on us in just 2 outings. That was a lifetime ago. If Jerome only gets his usual 2-3 touches this week - I'm driving to Cleveland and throwing the entire coaching staff in the lake.

2. Start somebody/ANYBODY at ILBer that wants to tackle someone. I mean tackle with his shoulders instead of his hands or fingers. Was D'Qwell Jackson playing hide and go seek the other night? If so, he did a great job of hiding. The ONLY times he'd make himself visible were to show us he could run into the end zone AFTER the ballcarrier crossed it a couple strides ago. He's been horrible the last 4 weeks. Dude's petrified or he has absolutely NO instinct to make plays near the line of scrimmage or both. How much of a dropoff would we see if we played Beau Bell instead? When Andra Davis outplays you - you're not very good.

3. PRACTICE tackling. The last 2 weeks have shown me the WORST tackling I've ever seen from this franchise. Worst ever. Marshawn Lynch is good BUT let's not pretend he's Barry Sanders or Earl Campbell. Nobody was hitting with their shoulders, wrapping and driving through the man. Guys were rarely in position to tackle ball carriers and when they were - I didn't see ANYONE squaring up. They fly in out of control with their heads DOWN half the time. Does this team WATCH film of themselves? Seriously. When I coached Freshman Football to teens that were NOT making 6 figure salaries - you'd be surprised how well they understood the fundamentals of tackling. Nothing fancy folks. It's starts with WANT, gets reinforced with repetition, then it's polished with studying tendencies of your next opponent, and reinforced with more repetition. You can't play defense with your head down. Bad coaching BUT I hold professionals accountable as well.

4. We need BETTER inside blitzes so why NOT consider bringing Alex Hall inside so when can execute a FREAKIN x-stunt. It's outrageous that we can ONLY blitz DBs from the outside. Denver lit that shit up like a Christmas tree when they weren't having so much fun with their alignments and exposing how poorly we play chess.

5. Let's finally make use of Stallworth's uniform by dressing up WR Coach Wes Chandler. Dude was an absolute STUD back in the day. The expensive alternatives will be wearing blue jeans to the game this Sunday. They usually do. All kidding aside, let's get Cribbs a couple more reps and see if we can't find a play or 2 where Stubbedtoes can be of better use.

6. Practice kick coverage. It seemed like Buffalo started every drive near mid-field.

7. Need more playmakers to emerge weekly like Harrison, Cribbs, Quinn and Dawson. Some guys gotta deep 6 that stage fright that's biting them in the fanny every week.

In the end, when we played the Giants - I couldn't find ONE aspect of our game to complain about except for maybe the high volume of offensive penalties we had. That said, we overcame just about every one of those. Sure we can blame the coaches for what we're seeing lately because they DESERVE it. However, it certainly makes me WONDER why this team was so darn easy to coach when we played the Giants but nobody else. Anyone else wonder about the difference? That adds up to they gotta WANT it more. More specifically, it's gotta come from within. I've always believed we've had the talent to win - I just question the character of it. That's what I LOVE about Quinn is that he's a confident and fierce competitor. He didn't let Braylon's mental lapses destroy his mission and consequently Edwards had his most receptions of any outing this year. We also scored to retake the lead the last time we possessed the football. You can't do this with a QB that has no confidence in himself because the team senses it and it spills over so they're not confident in him or the cause.

- Tom F. (Outside of my concerns for our tackling, I enjoyed that victory Monday Night immensley. There's some things this team can build off. Now that Quinn is starting - isn't it nice to FINALLY be thinking about THIS week instead of NEXT year?)

Is it me or is this team filled with a bunch of pansies that are afraid to get hit. Take BE and dropping that ball because he put his hand down to break his fall or our defense, as someone else on the board put it, letting someone else make the tackle. These guys are afraid to hit or look like they just dont want to hit. You cant play football and win with that kind of attitude. I swear we have a team filled with a bunch of pansy ass girls.

Remember when McCown was hanging Moss out to dry in Oakland so he just stopped catching the ball?

I call that Moss syndrome.

After all, look what happened to Moss once e got a qb that could it him in stride and didn't hang him out to dry.

I think Edwards has it, after all, most of his drops look like he's trying to brace himself for a hit. Maybe with a little time getting hit in stride and not having to jump up between 2 safeties and a corner to make the catch he'll settle down a little and start making more catches.

Or e really DID slack off the offseason and thought he didn't have to practice because he's a star.

Remember when McCown was hanging Moss out to dry in Oakland so he just stopped catching the ball?

After all, look what happened to Moss once e got a qb that could it him in stride and didn't hang him out to dry.

I think Edwards has it, after all, most of his drops look like he's trying to brace himself for a hit. Maybe with a little time getting hit in stride and not having to jump up between 2 safeties and a corner to make the catch he'll settle down a little and start making more catches.

Or e really DID slack off the offseason and thought he didn't have to practice because he's a star.

BE's real problem is that he's all hopped up on that 5 hour energy shit.

Tob....been saying this for weeks myself. BE's problems are definitely confidence issues...but not in himself. They are confidence issues with the QB...and once he gets confidence in the fact BQ won't get him killed I believe the dropsies go away...and it sure looked like that was coming with 7 straight catches last week (after the poor start).

As for the D...I made mention that they all looked like they were 'breaking down' into classic tackling positions instead of acting instinctively and laying some wood.

Other than Davis and McGinnest our entire back 8 are YOUNG!!!

Jackson, Williams, Wimbley, Hall, Wright, McDonald, Bell all have 3 or less years of experience. Even our EXPERIENCED guys (Jones, Pool, Adams) have 5 or less years.

What this tells me is that they are OVER COACHING technique. Early in the year we were tackling well...but getting burned by the big play. Basically we were over-pursuing and out of position on occasion. Instincts can do that to you. Now, they have harped on breaking down into proper technique so much that the players are THINKING about tackling and are being left flat footed.

They need to get back to flying around and hitting people. Give up the occasional big play, so what. I prefer that over getting embarrass backing up and arm tackling because they are too busy thinking to make the play!!!

Tob....been saying this for weeks myself. BE's problems are definitely confidence issues...but not in himself. They are confidence issues with the QB...and once he gets confidence in the fact BQ won't get him killed I believe the dropsies go away...and it sure looked like that was coming with 7 straight catches last week (after the poor start).

As for the D...I made mention that they all looked like they were 'breaking down' into classic tackling positions instead of acting instinctively and laying some wood.

Other than Davis and McGinnest our entire back 8 are YOUNG!!!

Jackson, Williams, Wimbley, Hall, Wright, McDonald, Bell all have 3 or less years of experience. Even our EXPERIENCED guys (Jones, Pool, Adams) have 5 or less years.

What this tells me is that they are OVER COACHING technique. Early in the year we were tackling well...but getting burned by the big play. Basically we were over-pursuing and out of position on occasion. Instincts can do that to you. Now, they have harped on breaking down into proper technique so much that the players are THINKING about tackling and are being left flat footed.

They need to get back to flying around and hitting people. Give up the occasional big play, so what. I prefer that over getting embarrass backing up and arm tackling because they are too busy thinking to make the play!!!

Hell Id start wimbley at ILB...Jackson isn't that good, Davis is a never was....Mcginest,hall on the outside and rover wimbley in the middle. Would improve our D immediately...till we draft Rey!

we are Totally on the same page on this one...."""4. We need BETTER inside blitzes so why NOT consider bringing Alex Hall inside so when can execute a FREAKIN x-stunt. It's outrageous that we can ONLY blitz DBs from the outside. Denver lit that shit up like a Christmas tree when they weren't having so much fun with their alignments and exposing how poorly we play chess. """

Why we don't blitz up the middle in a 3-4 is absolutely just bad Defensive scheme...to me those up the gut blitzes with Safeties and LB's are what make a 3-4 Dominant. It also free's(sp) up the outside backers....Pitt blitzes up the gut on everybody, that's why Woodley and Harrison are both in top 10 in sacks.

we are Totally on the same page on this one...."""4. We need BETTER inside blitzes so why NOT consider bringing Alex Hall inside so when can execute a FREAKIN x-stunt. It's outrageous that we can ONLY blitz DBs from the outside. Denver lit that shit up like a Christmas tree when they weren't having so much fun with their alignments and exposing how poorly we play chess. """

Why we don't blitz up the middle in a 3-4 is absolutely just bad Defensive scheme...to me those up the gut blitzes with Safeties and LB's are what make a 3-4 Dominant. It also free's(sp) up the outside backers....Pitt blitzes up the gut on everybody, that's why Woodley and Harrison are both in top 10 in sacks.

Are atleast I think so...

Thanks Solon. You've been bringing up that Jackson isn't cutting it for quite some time now and I'm sad to say I think you're right.

Just some observations over the last 4 weeks. We DID try an X-stunt inside vrs Baltimore and the 208 pound Ray Rice put D'Qwell on his fanny. That's not even a FB or a BIG running back. I think our brass overrated the crap out of Jackson on draft day a few years ago and this Knucklehead (me) was realy excited about that selection at the time. Then all I've done since, is critique him. I thought I agreed with Shep in seeing some improvement early on this year UNTIL I opened my yap and said good point. I've been watching a whole lot of nothing from Jackson and I don't CARE that the stats show he's able to grab ankles in a pile too far down field. We could have kept Wali Rainer for that nonsense.

I don't THINK there's any risk in seeing what Beau Bell has unless he's too injured to play. I've never seen worse ILBing in 40 years of watching this team. BECAUSE we're running a 3-4, it's a concern because that cavity is a bullseye for opposing game plans. Everytime Shaun Rogers is getting oxygen on the sidelines - this REALLY stands out.

- Tom F.

Thanks Solon. You've been bringing up that Jackson isn't cutting it for quite some time now and I'm sad to say I think you're right.

Just some observations over the last 4 weeks. We DID try an X-stunt inside vrs Baltimore and the 208 pound Ray Rice put D'Qwell on his fanny. That's not even a FB or a BIG running back. I think our brass overrated the crap out of Jackson on draft day a few years ago and this Knucklehead (me) was realy excited about that selection at the time. Then all I've done since, is critique him. I thought I agreed with Shep in seeing some improvement early on this year UNTIL I opened my yap and said good point. I've been watching a whole lot of nothing from Jackson and I don't CARE that the stats show he's able to grab ankles in a pile too far down field. We could have kept Wali Rainer for that nonsense.

I don't THINK there's any risk in seeing what Beau Bell has unless he's too injured to play. I've never seen worse ILBing in 40 years of watching this team. BECAUSE we're running a 3-4, it's a concern because that cavity is a bullseye for opposing game plans. Everytime Shaun Rogers is getting oxygen on the sidelines - this REALLY stands out.

- Tom F.

Agreed...worst LB play in years...My hope hope is this...1st year PS brought in a bunch of bodies that knew how to play a 3~4 defense, basically fielded nobodies...stewart was a bust as was just about everyone he brought in...I gave him a pass(so what), After evaluating the team...saw glaring glaring holes on O-line and D-line....set about Upgrading the O-line and eventually did, then set about fixing the D-line and did, I truly believe he'll address this huge LB hole. Along the way we became a top 8 offense(last year) but we are a dangerous team to face.....the two things I really like about Savage is his ability to see his own errors and cut loose players that don't perform and his unafraid approach to making moves in the draft. Maybe cause I'm a super draftnik, but I love a GM that isn't afraid to make moves and take chances. Are you a Rey fan? Obviously I am...

Is it me or is this team filled with a bunch of pansies that are afraid to get hit. Take BE and dropping that ball because he put his hand down to break his fall or our defense, as someone else on the board put it, letting someone else make the tackle. These guys are afraid to hit or look like they just dont want to hit. You cant play football and win with that kind of attitude. I swear we have a team filled with a bunch of pansy ass girls.

That's what I've been saying all year!!! Jamal Lewis, Josh Cribbs, Lawrence Vickers, Joe Thomas, Shaun Rogers,

KWII, and maybe Quinn and that's it for tough guys on this team. This team played one physcial game all

year and that was against the Giants. Dainty Stallworth, Andra Davis give me a break.

Archived