THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns taking closer look at Tebow

kpolen4

Five teams will take a closer look at Tebow

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2010 8:43 AM ET

As the Tim Tebow train continues to roll toward the draft, a quintet of teams have lined up visits with the man whom Dolphins signal-called Chad Henne doesn't believe is an NFL quarterback.

Matt Hayes of SportingNews.com reports that the Bills, Seahawks, Patriots, Browns, and Redskins will kick Tebow's tire in private workouts.

But in this season of poker faces and bullpoop, the most interested teams could be among the ones who aren't bringing him in. With 32 NFL franchises, at least one surely covets Tebow, flaws and all. And those teams aren't likely to do anything to reveal their interest.

In fact, they might be privately doing all they can to knock Tebow, in the hopes that he's available in the round when they hope to pounce.

Not suprised they will pry do this with a few QBs anyways

I cant wait to see and hear the surprise and criticism when holmy and hecktard take some no name small school kid in the 3rd round and begin grooming him to be the next big thing...;)

You mean like a Brett Favre, a 2d rounder from Southern Mississippi?

I don't think we need to waste any picks on a QB this year. It's a weak QB draft class this year. I like Clausen but do we really want another QB out of that system? Tebow will probably shock some people in the NFL community, but, I don't know if he is worth the risk. We need a NT and a secondary more than anything right now.

I honestly think the Browns' interest in Tebow is smoke and mirrors. We pick pretty high in each round and if a team out there really wants Tebow and believes us or someone after us may grab him, we could get some pretty desperate offers. There are teams out there that are enamoured with him. I can't imagine Mangini/Holmgren are in that catagory. And neither am I. I fully expect to see us grab a guy in the 4th or 5th round that nobody is talking about. You know, one of those picks that cause Mayock to frantically sift through his charts on the air trying to figure out who this kid is. Maybe a Levi Brown or something like that. A 4 year starter with all the physical tools from a smaller school.

I don't think we need to waste any picks on a QB this year. It's a weak QB draft class this year. I like Clausen but do we really want another QB out of that system? Tebow will probably shock some people in the NFL community, but, I don't know if he is worth the risk. We need a NT and a secondary more than anything right now.

I almost 100% agree with you howver I like our NTs. I want to see Rogers on the end and Rubin in the middle. I think that would be ideal.

Cleveland.com article on Holmgren & Tebow

It could be smoke and mirrors, or maybe Holmgren just likes the kid and wants him to succeed. They may want to draft him after all. It's too early to say and obviously we won't know till April, but he definitely showed he can work his guts out to become a better player in a short amount of time, and there is a lot to be said for that (see: Larry Byrd).

Tebow is obviously intelligent, has a lot of discipline and character, which are things you really can't coach. He has some talent, and played very well in Florida. I hope we do select him, honestly. The Browns need a prescence like his in the locker room, badly.

I honestly think the Browns' interest in Tebow is smoke and mirrors. We pick pretty high in each round and if a team out there really wants Tebow and believes us or someone after us may grab him, we could get some pretty desperate offers. There are teams out there that are enamoured with him. I can't imagine Mangini/Holmgren are in that catagory. And neither am I. I fully expect to see us grab a guy in the 4th or 5th round that nobody is talking about. You know, one of those picks that cause Mayock to frantically sift through his charts on the air trying to figure out who this kid is. Maybe a Levi Brown or something like that. A 4 year starter with all the physical tools from a smaller school.

I agree- this is smoked and mirrors by the Browns- and just doing due diligence. You sure don't need to be a qb guru to take one look and knowTebow's mechanics are a total mess, and he's not very accurate either.

It could be smoke and mirrors, or maybe Holmgren just likes the kid and wants him to succeed. They may want to draft him after all. It's too early to say and obviously we won't know till April, but he definitely showed he can work his guts out to become a better player in a short amount of time, and there is a lot to be said for that (see: Larry Byrd).

Tebow is obviously intelligent, has a lot of discipline and character, which are things you really can't coach. He has some talent, and played very well in Florida. I hope we do select him, honestly. The Browns need a prescence like his in the locker room, badly.

who's gonna listen to a rookie in the locker room? is going to give his "i'm a winner" speech as he's bringing the vets doughnuts? for real. AND BTW check your sp. on LARRY BIRD.

I agree- this is smoked and mirrors by the Browns- and just doing due diligence. You sure don't need to be a qb guru to take one look and knowTebow's mechanics are a total mess, and he's not very accurate either.

He completed over 65% of his passes.....quit making stuff up.

For a smart guy you sure say some stupid stuff

There is no better quality than a strong will to succeed. Tebow is not ready to play in the NFL but he has the ability to do so. I won't be unhappy if we take him

Well we have a lot of picks, and Tebow is gonna be a 2nd round pick, so we have the flexibility to move up or down in round two if we want/have to in order to get Tebow if he's the guy we want. I think a guy like Tebow or McCoy in round 2 would be a good risk/reward investment.

Well we have a lot of picks, and Tebow is gonna be a 2nd round pick, so we have the flexibility to move up or down in round two if we want/have to in order to get Tebow if he's the guy we want. I think a guy like Tebow or McCoy in round 2 would be a good risk/reward investment.

I really see Tebow falling to the late 1st early 2nd. I dont see us waisting a 1st rounder on Tebow but a 2nd round is a definate possiblility.

I really see Tebow falling to the late 1st early 2nd. I dont see us waisting a 1st rounder on Tebow but a 2nd round is a definate possiblility.

I agree, though I have a feeling he is going before round 2. Where does Pittsburgh draft?? I worry about them getting him...I don't want him there or have to face him twice a year.

If we decide we want him, we are going to have to take him at 7.....WHICH I DON'T WANT TO DO...(had to highlight that since many consider me a Tebow homer....I am, but I am not stupid), trade down some out of #7, or trade up out of the 2nd round. A bunch of teams ahead of us are hoping like hell the kid drops...we are going to have to get to about 20 to be fairly safe....cost us our 2nd...and maybe a 3rd and a 4th....maybe two 4th's...I'd be good with that.

I agree, though I have a feeling he is going before round 2. Where does Pittsburgh draft?? I worry about them getting him...I don't want him there or have to face him twice a year.

If we decide we want him, we are going to have to take him at 7.....WHICH I DON'T WANT TO DO...(had to highlight that since many consider me a Tebow homer....I am, but I am not stupid), trade down some out of #7, or trade up out of the 2nd round. A bunch of teams ahead of us are hoping like hell the kid drops...we are going to have to get to about 20 to be fairly safe....cost us our 2nd...and maybe a 3rd and a 4th....maybe two 4th's...I'd be good with that.

You're out of your mind Peens. He would be a reach at our second, but I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that. I like the kid.

I've said it once I'll say it again. We've already addressed QB issues in Mike's eyes. We WILL NOT take him in the 1st. He may have value in the 2nd, but I still think Pike in the 3rd is our best bet! Berry, Hayden, Witherspoon or Curran are guys I'd like to see in the first. I've seen Rico McCoy play quite a bit at UT and wouldn't mind seeing him in the 2nd.

With improved mechanics, Tebow shows 'he's a quarterback'

Florida's Tim Tebow shows marked improvement in his pro day workout, but the ultimate question remains: How will he perform in NFL action?

.Matt Hayes

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The theatrics and circus atmosphere were long over, and the player who changed the face of college football finally was back in his element.

A man and his mission.

"Football is just a way to bring me closer to what's important for me," Tim Tebow said.

So there was Tebow, minutes after putting on a show for NFL teams during Wednesday's pro day workout at Florida, throwing a football with wheelchair-bound Alex Ross, a 17-year-old from nearby Jacksonville who was shot in the head in January and lost the use of the left side of his body.

Ross threw a football to Tebow, who caught the ball and summed up the day's events: "Let's see (them) come over here and critique that."

Yes, everyone, Timmy Terrific is taking this NFL thing serious. A little advice for the doubters: Don't bet against him.

Less than two months ago at the Senior Bowl, Tebow was criticized for his poor mechanics and looping throwing motion. He struggled to take snaps from under center and had fumbling issues the entire week of practice.

So he hired former longtime NFL assistant and quarterbacks guru Zeke Bratkowski to help him change his mechanics and throwing motion. He also spoke or worked with former NFL coaches Sam Wyche, Marc Trestman and Jon Gruden in preparation for this very day -- this very test.

After working out for a little more than 30 minutes in front of scouts -- and a handful of head coaches -- from all 32 NFL teams, we have this:

"From the Senior Bowl to now, the improvement is ridiculous," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "I was blown away."

Or this from Panthers coach John Fox: "He had a very good workout. I saw some adjustments he made and thought he executed very well."

Nothing like a little hard work for Tebow to chase the critics away. Or has he?

The greatest player in college football history is now the most scrutinized player in NFL draft history. And wouldn't you know it, as quickly as he won over some, he had others still wondering where it all ends.

The most perplexing factor of all in the Tebow Question: No one really knows what kind of quarterback he'll be in the NFL until he's under center and the proverbial bullets are flying.

Asked if Tebow could be successful in the league, Browns president Mike Holmgren -- a guy who has coached legendary NFL stars Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett Favre -- said, "I'm going to steer clear of that one now. I think Tim Tebow is one of those guys that you root for. If he's on your team, you have a better team. I'll leave it at that."

But minutes later, after breaking down the specifics of playing the position, Holmgren offered up this: "If you look hard enough at anybody, you can be really picky about stuff. Be careful about losing sight of the big picture and what kind of a player (Tebow) is and winner he is. There's a lot of good about this young man."

Related Links

The Trenches: Video of Tebow in action

The news: Reaction to Florida workouts

The War Room: Tebow draft evaluation

.And a lot that has changed. Gone are the looping throwing motion (the ball starts at his ear instead of his waist), the shotgun snaps (his footwork was flawless under center on drops and releases) and the long stride when throwing (he showed a short stride and more compact delivery).

"He didn't revert to any of his old habits today; he really had a nice day," Bratkowski said. "People are talking about other positions with him. He's a quarterback. He's where he should be right now."

Long after a few thousand fans who watched the workout had left Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, after Tebow signed more autographs and shook more hands and spoke with the NFL Network (yep, they were live on site), Tebow stood in a packed room in the bowels of the stadium and talked about his dream of playing in the NFL.

He has five team-specific workouts in the coming weeks -- with the Bufalo Bills, Seattle Seahawks, New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns and Washington Redskins -- and another five weeks to continue honing his new mechanics before the draft.

"I don't know if when I dreamed of this process, that I dreamed of this," Tebow said.

That may be the most accurate critique of all.

This story appears in March 18's edition of Sporting News Today.

with an idea that I want the Browns to take Chad Jones, safety, in the second round,

depending on who they get in the first....

I will be intrigued, not upset, if the Browns decide to draft Tebow in the second.

But, Pike in the 3rd, is the qb for the Browns, I think.

with an idea that I want the Browns to take Chad Jones, safety, in the second round,

depending on who they get in the first....

I will be intrigued, not upset, if the Browns decide to draft Tebow in the second.

But, Pike in the 3rd, is the qb for the Browns, I think.

I'm with you all the way...As long as we address a DB,OLB, or DT in the first I'll be happy. (Dez Bryant wouldn't make me upset either.)

We could trade a twelfth round pick even up for Peyton Manning, and some of you guys would bitch about it! :rolleyes:

I agree, lets see the man did win a Heisman trophy. I am sure he is more than capable of playing in the NFL.

Should we roll back to the 80's and Bernie Kosar who had the greatest physique of any QB that ever played the game. Well if he had to go thru a combine today he more than likely would've never been drafted. The same goes for Joe Montana and several great QB's of the not so recent NFL history.

I love the combine for being able to gauge track stars but one thing it lacks, and that is, how well does it guage football players.

I would love if we could grab Tebow AFTER the first round. If any team drafts him in the first I think they would be wasting that first round pick. He is talented but he is still a project no matter how much he works on his throwing motion.

I cannot support Tebow in the 2nd; no way no how. I'm not sure the 2nd round is where you want to start grabbing "project" guys. I fully expect to get a 10 year starter in the 2nd especially at #7. Tebow in the 4th, yeah, that's where I'll be targeting "projects". However, I'm pretty sure he won't make it out of the 2nd. Some team will reach for him and hopefully, give up a bunch to us in order to get him!

I fully anticipate a no-namer from a small school no sooner than the 4th round to work behind Delhomme. For a guy who has made some bad decisions at times, he really seems like a pro's pro that a young QB will resepect. Plus, in his presser he admitted that he will embrace any role he is asked to fill and talked up the role of a mentor. So, grab a mid to late round kid and let Jake and Seneca hold his hand for a few years.

I agree, lets see the man did win a Heisman trophy. I am sure he is more than capable of playing in the NFL.

Should we roll back to the 80's and Bernie Kosar who had the greatest physique of any QB that ever played the game. Well if he had to go thru a combine today he more than likely would've never been drafted. The same goes for Joe Montana and several great QB's of the not so recent NFL history.

I love the combine for being able to gauge track stars but one thing it lacks, and that is, how well does it guage football players.

You make some good points but the game has changed so much since the 70's and 80's. Grit, Guile, and determination only gets you so far as a QB. You can lack in talent in other areas on the field but as a QB, if you don't have god-given talent to fall back on, you are going to struggle. For that reason, I don't want anything to do with him before the 4th round.

Archived