THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says other trades are in the works

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...eric_ma_13.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Don't pencil in your Browns roster just yet. There is another transaction -- or two -- in the works.

Coach Eric Mangini said at NFL owners meetings this morning that the trade of linebacker Kamerion Wimbley to Oakland for a third-round pick was partly done to create an opportunity for another trade.

"It's not that we didn't like Kam or didn't think he was doing good things," Mangini said. "It's just that having that pick (No. 75 overall) allows us to have just some more versatility.

"It's difficult to part with a character guy (like Wimbley). I really like Kam. I really do. It wasn't a function of wanting to move him. It was more of a function of where do we have depth? Where can we trade to give us some more ability to address other areas?"

The trade of Wimbley gave the Browns five selections in the first 87 picks. They also own the Jets' third-round pick, plus their own in the first three rounds.

"A little bit of this was done in anticipation of being able to get some other things done that will involve draft picks," Mangini said.

It's possible the Browns could use one of their extra picks in trading for, or signing, a restricted free agent that requires draft-choice compensation.

Mangini said the club will revisit these trade talks next week.

"Until it's done, you can't guarantee it," he said. "But it gives us flexibility if we want to do that. If not, then you get another third-round draft pick, which is really a good spot to draft, whether we want to address the secondary or someplace else."

Sorry guy. I just like saying "bitches". No trollidity intended.

I think your "troll" status promotion (or demotion) has more to do with the fact that you're not on the Harrison bandwagon like everybody else.

And neither am I, so I guess I'm a troll too.

I just don't know if he can produce consistantly. I hope he proves me wrong this year, I really do.

I think your "troll" status promotion (or demotion) has more to do with the fact that you're not on the Harrison bandwagon like everybody else.

And neither am I, so I guess I'm a troll too.

I just don't know if he can produce consistantly. I hope he proves me wrong this year, I really do.

No it has to do with the fact that he feels the need to post about it in every thread, every single day. I couldn't care less if you guys are fans of our best offensive player last year or not but for god's sake shut the fack up about it. The trade is clearly not happening so keep that shit in topics that are at least relevant.

No it has to do with the fact that he feels the need to post about it in every thread, every single day. I couldn't care less if you guys are fans of our best offensive player last year or not but for god's sake shut the fack up about it. The trade is clearly not happening so keep that shit in topics that are at least relevant.

Not every thread. Only the one's that point to the move being made

1. Tendered at a 2nd.

2. Trade for Hillis

3. Looking at Colt McCoy in the 2nd round, who will not play this year, after saying we have other needs in the 2nd. Why waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who won't play when you could grab another insant starter there? Where could we possibly get another 2nd rounder to pick up McCoy?

4. Mangini saying we're not done dealing just yet and that some things are still in the works. And lest we forget a rumor 2 weeks ago about 9 teams asking about Harrison. If just half that many are interested, a deal should be made.

My desire to move guys isn't exclusive to Harrison. What I'm looking at is ANY player with trade value that was here before Mangini was. Quinn, Rogers, D/Qwell, Williams, and Harrison. All of those guys have been on my 'move list' since week 6 of last year. So, when I see evidence that my personal Browns wishes may come true, I get excited. Isn't that what a Browns fan should do? I want a complete purge of the roster from the pre-Mangini/Holmgren days. Save for Cribbs, Thomas, and Steinbach. If that includes an undersized scat-back on a team in which he is expendable, well then, what's the problem with that?

DQJ is a real character guy but only a mere decent player in our 3-4 vanilla defense with poor to mediocre support around him, he would do better in a 4-3 with good support and we should certainly consider trading him however not for pennies on the dollar as hecktard has been doing, he like wimbley isnt a troublemaker and i dont view DQJ as a firetrade special he will have value somewhere just as wimbley would have had if hecktard were more patient..

I see it far more likely that Jackson is gone.

I would be happy with that and it does make sense. I don't know if we can get a 2nd for him without throwing in one of our 5rd picks maybe. Either way, it seems like the Browns are going to be the talk of the draft this year and I don't see too many people saying "WTF!" on any of their picks.

I am so damn excited about this year's drafrt that I am getting more an more convinced that 2012 IS the end of the world.

NFL Trade Rumors: The Browns Aren’t Done Yet

Written By: Scott | Category: Cleveland Browns | Comments: 10

In what was a surprisingly candid discussion about the Cleveland Browns, head coach Eric Mangini went on record during Tuesday’s NFL owners meeting to say that his football team is not done adding pieces to the puzzle as the team heads into the 2010 season.

With the recent trades of former first-round selections Brady Quinn and Kamerion Wimbley, the Browns have amassed 12 selections for the upcoming draft. And while the team is expected to use most of them – five of which are within the first three rounds – Mangini stated that the team is not counting out a move that would land them higher selections than they currently own.

“There’s some other things that hopefully will get done in the next couple of weeks,” said Mangini. “A little bit of [the Quinn and Wimbley trades were] done in anticipation of being able to get some other things done that will involve draft picks.”

Quite a change from last season where Mangini would be mum on all internal conversations. Whether or not this is coachspeak or a smokescreen remains to be seen, but the fact remains that the coach’s level of media-directed conversation has dramatically spiked.

“[The Wimbley trade] gives us flexibility if we want to do that,” Mangini continued. ”And if it happens, we can do some of those things. If not, then you get another third-round draft pick, which is really a good spot to draft, whether we want to address the secondary or someplace else.”

Not surprising, the secondary continues to be a large need for the Browns. The team has scheduled workouts for multiple upcoming draftees including Texas’ Earl Thomas and LSU’s Chad Jones. As it has been discussed here in the past, the Browns are also in the market for a quarterback with Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford, Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen, Texas’ Colt McCoy and Florida’s Tim Tebow being linked to the Browns in some shape or form.

On top of draft-related moves, Mangini claimed that the Browns continue to look at options within the restricted free agency arena as well.

“I think there’s a couple combinations [of trades pending],” Mangini said. “Some could be restricted free agents, and some could be players currently on a roster.”

The restricted free agents that have recently been linked to the Browns are a pair of 2006 draftees in Eagles linebacker Chris Gocong and Seahawks offensive lineman Rob Sims. Gocong was a player referenced by Eric Mangini when Tom Heckert was hired as both individuals had interest in him coming out of college. Sims has obvious ties to Mike Holmgren given his current team but is also a Cleveland, Ohio native that went to The Ohio State University.

The Browns have reportedly been in discussions regarding both players, but it appears that there is a gap in what the Browns are willing to pay versus what their respective teams would like in return. Both players currently have fourth-round tenders that would require draft picks in return for their services, something that the team may not be comfortable parting with. Due to this, Mangini was sure to lay out a giant caveat for the future.

“[but] it’s like anything else,” Manigni said. “Until it’s done, you can’t guarantee it.”

Has anyone shown interest in our tendered guys? I haven't heard anything about DQ or Harrison receiving offers or even interest.

That is actually good. If true, we can resign them cheaper.

They are worth keeping, especially harrison at this point.

I was really hoping to see jackson bust out last year, maybe he would have in the later weeks.

I want a complete purge of the roster from the pre-Mangini/Holmgren days. Save for Cribbs, Thomas, and Steinbach. If that includes an undersized scat-back on a team in which he is expendable, well then, what's the problem with that?
what if that included them trading Steiny for a 2nd? how would you feel about them breaking up the JT/ES/AM team?

what if that included them trading Steiny for a 2nd? how would you feel about them breaking up the JT/ES/AM team?

Nooooo waaaay! Steinbach is a LG that you just can't go out and replace. Not to mention, if he had to, he could step in at RG. Losing him would literally create a huge hole in the foundation of your offense. No way. My list still includes Jackson, Harrison, and possibly Rogers. Williams and Quinn are already checked off my list and the Wimbley one shocked me because I didn't think he had much value. But then came the Raiders who I am pretty sure haven't watched game film of anybody in 20 years. Good for us.

for the sake of debate, let's say the $$ wasn't an obstacle for another team in this potentially uncapped era.

personally i'd be unhappy about it. there is the issue of him maintaining his weight at guard for the full season, but other than that he's rock solid.

if they didn't like him at LG i'd rather them experiment with him more at RT and try to keep him on the line.

Unless you have inside information that indicates otherwise, I don't believe you know what is "clearly not happening". And what mopaji said clearly pertains to this topic, seeing as the title opens up discussion about possible trades.

I don't think Harrison will be traded before next season, but then again I thought Quinn was staying in Cleveland too. Anything can happen.

Did anybody see the Wimbley trade coming? I know I sure didn't. What makes you think you know what Holmgren and Co. has up their sleeves?

Unless you have inside information that indicates otherwise, I don't believe you know what is "clearly not happening". And what mopaji said clearly pertains to this topic, seeing as the title opens up discussion about possible trades.

I don't think Harrison will be traded before next season, but then again I thought Quinn was staying in Cleveland too. Anything can happen.

Did anybody see the Wimbley trade coming? I know I sure didn't. What makes you think you know what Holmgren and Co. has up their sleeves?

Actually if you read the article mangini says they traded those players to acquire the picks we may need to either a) move up in the draft or B ) get a guy we need from another team. Now this doesn't rule out the fact that harrison couldn't be included in a package deal of some sort but it certainly makes it sound like if we were going to trade him for a 3rd or some other pick we already would have. Instead we traded wimbley because either a) they like our depth at olb better then our depth at runningback (doubt it) B )no teams were interested or did not offer a high enough pick or c) they didn't want to trade the one guy that could actually score td's for us other then cribbs. Didn't need to be an insider to solve that puzzle

Archived