THE BROWNS BOARD

Shawn Rodgers' arrest a good thing for the Browns?

Slaughter

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Shawn Rodgers to play for the Browns next year?

• Yes
    • no

Big Shawn Rodgers is taking a beating for the mistake he made yesterday at Cleveland Hopkins Airport. The media and fans are relentlessly blasting with him for jeopardizing his playing career as well as subsequently diminishing his trade value. I have been reading all off season that the Browns should trade Big Shawn in order to maximize his value, due to his age and history of laziness. However, all we could get from him (pre arrest that is) was most likely a 4th or maybe a low 3rd.

Maybe I am in the minority with this position, but I think that if we would have traded him for a mid round pick or package him in a deal for a mediocre player, it would have been a mistake. He is a playmaker on a team that lacks playmakers. He is a probowl Nose Tackle that eats up blockers and fits a 3-4 scheme perfectly. I know the Browns' Defense and Rubin played well after his injury, but I attribute that to more aggressive play calling and Mangini and Ryan desperately making changes to save their jobs. I think that Rodgers will be an even better player due to a revamped LB crew (Gocong, Fujida, Jackson, Roth) and now two solid CB's that can play man to man, not just zone (a la Brandon McDonald). Now that he is almost untradable, we may actually find out just how good he can be.

Now, if you think about it, this incident really isn't that big of a deal. I think most of us realize that Rodgers did not intentionally try to sneak a gun on the plane. He was not going to Hijack a plane in the name of Jihad. He did have a concealed weapons permit, and is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Ohio. Now, that being said, he was reckless in not checking his bag prior to going through security. For that fact alone, he will probably be suspended, but not for as long as you may think.

This time last year, Marshawn Lynch was suspended by Goodell after pleading guilty to carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in his car. He received a 3 game suspension. That's not that long for someone who was not suppose to have a gun in the first place. In 2007, Carolina Panthers OL Jeremy Bridges was suspended for 2 games for pointing a loaded gun at a stripper at a parking lot. 2 games... I would be surprised if Rodgers received more than a 3 game suspension. I can live with that. But I want him back on the field and in a Browns uniform for the rest of the season.

As far as jail time... won't happen. Most he will get is probation. Remember, he has the money for great legal defense.

Look, there is a reason why there are xray machines and metal detectors at the airport. It is to keep guns off airplanes. That is, either from terrorists, criminals and idiot gun owners who forget to disarm. As a former police officer, I personally know and have heard of several officers who mistakenly went through security with their duty weapons (of course, they weren't charged). It happens.

I'm actually happy this happened. It was a victimless crime and something that is not as bad as people are making it out to be. It ensures that Rodgers will not be traded due to his trade value dwindling. I do not believe that the Browns will give up such an important piece of their defense for a low round pick or just release him because of a mistake that happens quite a bit.

1.) rogers' actions undermine the strides that mangini has made with this team in the character dept.

2.) other than blocking kicks, he didn't do a hell of a whole lot in 2009. we started winning when he was out of the lineup.

We started winning when we played Jacksonville, Oakland, Kansas City not exactly great teams although Pittsburgh was a great win. Just because Rogers was out when we played 3 of the worst teams we played all year doesnt mean Rubin played better than him or our defense plays better without him.

Big Shawn Rodgers is taking a beating for the mistake he made yesterday at Cleveland Hopkins Airport. The media and fans are relentlessly blasting with him for jeopardizing his playing career as well as subsequently diminishing his trade value. I have been reading all off season that the Browns should trade Big Shawn in order to maximize his value, due to his age and history of laziness. However, all we could get from him (pre arrest that is) was most likely a 4th or maybe a low 3rd.

Maybe I am in the minority with this position, but I think that if we would have traded him for a mid round pick or package him in a deal for a mediocre player, it would have been a mistake. He is a playmaker on a team that lacks playmakers. He is a probowl Nose Tackle that eats up blockers and fits a 3-4 scheme perfectly. I know the Browns' Defense and Rubin played well after his injury, but I attribute that to more aggressive play calling and Mangini and Ryan desperately making changes to save their jobs. I think that Rodgers will be an even better player due to a revamped LB crew (Gocong, Fujida, Jackson, Roth) and now two solid CB's that can play man to man, not just zone (a la Brandon McDonald). Now that he is almost untradable, we may actually find out just how good he can be.

Now, if you think about it, this incident really isn't that big of a deal. I think most of us realize that Rodgers did not intentionally try to sneak a gun on the plane. He was not going to Hijack a plane in the name of Jihad. He did have a concealed weapons permit, and is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Ohio. Now, that being said, he was reckless in not checking his bag prior to going through security. For that fact alone, he will probably be suspended, but not for as long as you may think.

This time last year, Marshawn Lynch was suspended by Goodell after pleading guilty to carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in his car. He received a 3 game suspension. That's not that long for someone who was not suppose to have a gun in the first place. In 2007, Carolina Panthers OL Jeremy Bridges was suspended for 2 games for pointing a loaded gun at a stripper at a parking lot. 2 games... I would be surprised if Rodgers received more than a 3 game suspension. I can live with that. But I want him back on the field and in a Browns uniform for the rest of the season.

As far as jail time... won't happen. Most he will get is probation. Remember, he has the money for great legal defense.

Look, there is a reason why there are xray machines and metal detectors at the airport. It is to keep guns off airplanes. That is, either from terrorists, criminals and idiot gun owners who forget to disarm. As a former police officer, I personally know and have heard of several officers who mistakenly went through security with their duty weapons (of course, they weren't charged). It happens.

I'm actually happy this happened. It was a victimless crime and something that is not as bad as people are making it out to be. It ensures that Rodgers will not be traded due to his trade value dwindling. I do not believe that the Browns will give up such an important piece of their defense for a low round pick or just release him because of a mistake that happens quite a bit.

I would hardly call attempting to bring a concealed weapon onboard an aircraft a "victimless crime". He made the mistake or whatever it was, and I hope they can his ass.

Who were the victims? There is no way you are getting a loaded weapon past airport security. He had no intent of maliciousness. How is this a big deal?

I would hardly call attempting to bring a concealed weapon onboard an aircraft a "victimless crime". He made the mistake or whatever it was, and I hope they can his ass.

You must be a criminal.

or youre a pansy ass bleeding heart....

this is quite a bit different than lighting your balls on fire, son. not that its not a big deal, but he was traveling with a firearm improperly stowed and secured.

he didn't even try to kill anyone asshat, stop acting like he did.

His trade value is dead for 30 teams, but now the bungals will probably give you two first round picks for him. :lol:

The ultimate point being that he now having committed this transgression will probably NOT be an acceptable commodity to most other teams, particularly in a trade. Somebody might pick him up if he is released, but not trade for him.

Contrarily, it would probably be good for the Browns to keep him. Why? He does have talent. But before he was not really malleable. He bitched about Mangini, bitched about his contract, and, while he backed off those complaints I think he still felt like he was such a privileged POS that not even those bitches could harm him. Not now. Now he MUST be contrite. He MUST behave himself. He MUST put out all he has and accept what conditions the Browns place on him. If the Browns ultimately decide to stand behind him and take him back into the fold, he MUST now kiss the Browns organizations ass, and bust his big fat ole butt for them just to prove that he isn't some bad guy, criminal, malcontent.

Fair to say?

I agree. If the Browns decide to keep him, he will "owe them one". Maybe his attitude will change for the better. Yet another positive outcome

The ultimate point being that he now having committed this transgression will probably NOT be an acceptable commodity to most other teams, particularly in a trade. Somebody might pick him up if he is released, but not trade for him.

Contrarily, it would probably be good for the Browns to keep him. Why? He does have talent. But before he was not really malleable. He bitched about Mangini, bitched about his contract, and, while he backed off those complaints I think he still felt like he was such a privileged POS that not even those bitches could harm him. Not now. Now he MUST be contrite. He MUST behave himself. He MUST put out all he has and accept what conditions the Browns place on him. If the Browns ultimately decide to stand behind him and take him back into the fold, he MUST now kiss the Browns organizations ass, and bust his big fat ole butt for them just to prove that he isn't some bad guy, criminal, malcontent.

Fair to say?

I watched his interview/apology walking out of the precinct, and sadly enough I actually believe that his dumbass didn't know it was in there. Like he mentioned, he's had a CHL for seven years and never had an issue. I have a CHL and I truly don't think someone who has one would knowingly do something like this. Unless he is just that stupid!

or youre a pansy ass bleeding heart....

this is quite a bit different than lighting your balls on fire, son. not that its not a big deal, but he was traveling with a firearm improperly stowed and secured.

he didn't even try to kill anyone asshat, stop acting like he did.

Me, a bleeding heart? An asshat? You obviously don't know me "son". But sounds like you have anger management issues that need to be dealt with dick head.

YO SHAUN, WELCOME TO DA CLUB HOMIE!

burress_is_a_dumbass.jpg

That is funny stuff.

He should be dealt with the same way you or I would be dealt with if we were to bring a loaded gun into an airport.

Can you imagine the security being scared out of thier minds with how big he was and having to put him in cuffs.

I watched his interview/apology walking out of the precinct, and sadly enough I actually believe that his dumbass didn't know it was in there. Like he mentioned, he's had a CHL for seven years and never had an issue. I have a CHL and I truly don't think someone who has one would knowingly do something like this. Unless he is just that stupid!

Oh, I agree, I don't think he meant for a minute to bring that gun to the airport. He really was just being a doubledutchdumbass.

Me, a bleeding heart? An asshat? You obviously don't know me "son". But sounds like you have anger management issues that need to be dealt with dick head.

why am i not surprised that went over your head?

and your psychiatric skills need help. point was, you're very quick to judge sitting behind your keyboard, solja.....

sometimes, people make mistakes. you just fleew off the handle a bit at the mere mention of a firearm.

He is licensed to carry it ?

Then it is just a mistake. If you have a concealed carry license, and if you get pulled

over on a traffic violation, or a tail light out, they know you have a ccl, and you have to

tell them if you have a gun in the car. Or, it's apparently an offense.

I can see forgetting, if you carry one all the time, say, to avoid car jacking or something.

But failing to double check his luggage is irresponsible even if it is a mistake.

7 years of ccl makes all the world of difference to me, and should to the court.

He is still in a bit of hot water though...

You don't need to worry about carrying a loaded gun in your car.

Just don't have it concealed.

If you get stopped, take it from it's concealed place and toss it in the back seat so the officer doesn't feel threatened and tell him/her it is there as soon as they approach.

People need to quit acting like a loaded gun is a bad thing.....a unloaded gun is a bad thing. Why have it if it's unloaded??? Just carry a ballpeen hammer...they work better for smashing someone in the head than the butt end of a gun.

I would advise against touching your gun anywhere around a police officer, and especially do not "toss it in the back seat". That is the best way to get your ass shot, or at minimum, yanked out of the car window by your throat. Your call, though....

You don't need to worry about carrying a loaded gun in your car.

Just don't have it concealed.

If you get stopped, take it from it's concealed place and toss it in the back seat so the officer doesn't feel threatened and tell him/her it is there as soon as they approach.

People need to quit acting like a loaded gun is a bad thing.....a unloaded gun is a bad thing. Why have it if it's unloaded??? Just carry a ballpeen hammer...they work better for smashing someone in the head than the butt end of a gun.

Once he serves his punishment, both criminally and by the Commish, i'm fine with him playing for the Browns or any other team that may want him. He looked sorrowful on the news, but hey i'm a forgiving guy.

i can't believe he claims that he didn't know he had a loaded gun in his bag..........

why am i not surprised that went over your head?

and your psychiatric skills need help. point was, you're very quick to judge sitting behind your keyboard, solja.....

sometimes, people make mistakes. you just fleew off the handle a bit at the mere mention of a firearm.

No, I just think you're a dickhead. :D

Archived