THE BROWNS BOARD

INTENT

Read into it what you will.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

CLEVELAND -- A police report says a gun that Cleveland Browns player Shaun Rogers allegedly tried to carry through airport security last Thursday was cocked with a bullet in the chamber.

The report by patrolman Mark Tescar says the cocked semi-automatic handgun was on safe mode with seven bullets in the magazine and one in the chamber.

Rogers has pleaded not guilty to a concealed weapons charge after authorities say he tried to carry the handgun through airport security in a carry-on bag. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison.

The 31-year-old apologized to his fans and his team Friday after spending a night in jail, saying he didn't mean to take the gun into Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Rogers told police he forgot the gun was in his bag when he attempted to fly to Texas on Thursday after participating in the Browns' voluntary offseason program,.

"By no means did I intend or willingly or knowingly take a firearm into the airport," Rogers said. "That's not something I would do."

When reporters asked Rogers on Friday why he needed a weapon, his attorney, Patrick D'Angelo, answered that it wasn't a fair question because his client has a license to carry a firearm.

The arrest could put Rogers' future with the Browns in jeopardy. Team president Mike Holmgren issued a statement Thursday saying that he was aware of "what transpired with Shaun Rogers" and that the Browns would reserve comment "until the legal process has taken its course."

Rogers, who missed the Browns' final five games last season with a broken leg, has been the subject of previous trade rumors. He was selected to the Pro Bowl after his first season in Cleveland, which acquired him in a 2008 trade with Detroit, and he's signed through 2013.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When reporters asked Rogers on Friday why he needed a weapon, his attorney, Patrick D'Angelo, answered that it wasn't a fair question because his client has a license to carry a firearm.

Even without a carry permit it isn't a fair question. It's a one sided, biased, agenda driven question.

None the less, a dumb move on Rogers part.

I am a weapons instructor and I really think people are overreacting about him carrying a gun with a round in the chamber. Guns have so many safety features that the only way for it to go off is for you to purposely pulling the trigger. He has made a big mistake but I seriously doubt he will see any jailtime. He didnt shoot himself in a foot or point it at a teammate. He had no hostile intensions besides it being loaded in a bag. Just lay off of him and give him a break.

I am a weapons instructor and I really think people are overreacting about him carrying a gun with a round in the chamber. Guns have so many safety features that the only way for it to go off is for you to purposely pulling the trigger. He has made a big mistake but I seriously doubt he will see any jailtime. He didnt shoot himself in a foot or point it at a teammate. He had no hostile intensions besides it being loaded in a bag. Just lay off of him and give him a break.

then how did plaxico shoot himself if there are so many safety features and you 'have to' pull the trigger? you're saying he reached into his pants and squeezed off a round into himself. nonsense, if you're a weapons instructor wouldn't the first rule of thumb be 'don't put yourself in situations where you need to carry a weapon'. i mean i get the have a shotgun at home and protect your property but i don't get put the gun in your waistband and walk around like a f'n thug. do you teach people to shoot gansta style too?

NO Breaks and i am a shaun Rodgers fan.

But if i was any of our butts on that plane with a gun there would be NO breaks.

Don't care if he had a permit or no bad intentions.

People hyjacked planes with box cutters and this bluegums wants to take a loaded gun on a plane.

This should be and always should be a ZERO TOLERANCE situtations get his fat dumb ass out of here

then how did plaxico shoot himself if there are so many safety features and you 'have to' pull the trigger? you're saying he reached into his pants and squeezed off a round into himself. nonsense, if you're a weapons instructor wouldn't the first rule of thumb be 'don't put yourself in situations where you need to carry a weapon'. i mean i get the have a shotgun at home and protect your property but i don't get put the gun in your waistband and walk around like a f'n thug. do you teach people to shoot gansta style too?

Well one thing that makes Plaxico and Rogers situation totally different is Plax was drinking which is a big no-no when handling guns. I will admit one thing too many people get complacent with guns. And to anwser your response to the "First rule of thumb" is always treat a gun as if its loaded. And lastly unless you consider the military to be gangsta's then i dont teach gangsta style.

If you guys havent seen this video ya should check it out. My #1 favorite teaching video.

#1. Having a gun with a PERMIT doesn't make him a gangster - neither does the fact that he's black. So,

don't be stupid.

#2. Pro football players with $$$$$$$$$$$$ tend to have nice expensive cars. They could be subject to hijacking.

He has a right to carry a gun. I don't blame him for that.

#3. He SAID HE DIDN'T INTEND TO TAKE A GUN ON THE PLANE. It's stupid to doubt that.

#4. Some gangster shot himself? Did he have the safety on? Guess not. Did he have a revolver or

a semi-automatic?

Go look up how a semi-auto works. I doubt Rogers had a revolver. Have Playerjdd explain it to you if you'd like.

#5. See #4. A revolver cocked, and a semi-automatic cocked, are two different deals, structurally. I have both.

Read up on the subject before you go off the deep end, and making yourself look foolish.

CLEVELAND -- A police report says a gun that Cleveland Browns player Shaun Rogers allegedly tried to carry through airport security last Thursday was cocked with a bullet in the chamber.

This thread title is very misleading. A bullet in the chamber does not display intent, please next time know a bit about the law before you put out thread titles claiming to know.

I am a weapons instructor and I really think people are overreacting about him carrying a gun with a round in the chamber. Guns have so many safety features that the only way for it to go off is for you to purposely pulling the trigger. He has made a big mistake but I seriously doubt he will see any jailtime. He didnt shoot himself in a foot or point it at a teammate. He had no hostile intentions besides it being loaded in a bag. Just lay off of him and give him a break.

Sorry I can't. I grew up in a hunting family, and I've handled most of the common ordinance that's out there. Definitely not afraid of guns. If you're a weapons instructor, wouldn't you agree that if you have weapons, you had better be damn well certain where the hell they are? And if they're loaded or not? Doubly when you're going through Airport security, where post 9\11 Uncle Sam takes an especially dim view of loaded guns on planes- unless they're carried by a Federal Marshall.

Sorry Shawn- the rules say- DECLARED- UNLOADED-CHECKED BAGGAGE. Intent- schment. Concealed Carry does not apply sorry to say. If you're too stupid or careless to understand that, you deserve to be penalized. I'm not saying throw the guy off the team or give him the max jail time- I'm sure a night in the slammer gave him adequate time to reflect on things. But just because he's a football player doesn't give him carte blanche to flout the rules.

He has a conceal carry permit. End of story.

Conceal carrry permits don't apply to aircraft, which come under Federal Law. Unless he has a Federal permit, which I highly doubt. In which case you still have to inform the TSA before going through the checkpoints.

Conceal carrry permits don't apply to aircraft, which come under Federal Law. Unless he has a Federal permit, which I highly doubt. In which case you still have to inform the TSA before going through the checkpoints.

This is 100% correct. I am not saying he will not get in trouble by no means. Federal areas such as Airports, Schools, Post offices all are areas where a CCW will not save ya for the most part. You are actually able to carry concealed in a airport as long as you do not go past security checkpoints which technically he didn't make it past lol. He was very cooperative so I don't see him getting jail time. I would bet this happens more than we think. One thing we can feel good about is those "Barney Fife TSA" Security guys found the gun and he did not fly with it.

True, but the situation is a lot less black and white because he has the conceal carry. The only law he broke, was that the gun was at the airport. Not that he had a concealed weapon.

The way it seems to me is that he knew the gun was in that bag and did that on purpose. The reason? Maybe to get arrested so that the browns would trade him off. Why do I think this? Because in to days climate especially since 911, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE could be that f**kin STUPID to do what he did. If he his that stupid we should get rid of him anyway.

The way it seems to me is that he knew the gun was in that bag and did that on purpose. The reason? Maybe to get arrested so that the browns would trade him off. Why do I think this? Because in to days climate especially since 911, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE could be that f**kin STUPID to do what he did. If he his that stupid we should get rid of him anyway.

Thats goofy...break a Federal law with possible serious ramifications to get traded rather than just go slap Holmgren in the face and call him a bitch?

At most you face a rinky dink assault charge and most surely get your ticket out of town.

You should just slap yourself for making a statement like this!!!! Maybe the wheels in your head turn this way but for most everybody else they turn another way. You would have to be a complete idiot to do this on purpose. Im not saying Rogers is the brightest tool in the shed but he is certainly not borderline Retarded.

Yup....singlehandedly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's the normal liberal media hating on guns and responsible owners. Plus this thread has exposed a few libs in the meantime.

I can't understand why people think this country would be better off without guns.

If somehow all guns were to be taken away, the only thing that would happen is that the market would be flooded with weapons from foreign organized crime because of all the money that could be made, and the only people that would have guns would be the criminals.

It's the normal liberal media hating on guns and responsible owners. Plus this thread has exposed a few libs in the meantime

please quit it with this shit. one of the reasons that i enjoy this forum is that political talk isn't out in the open very often. keep it in it's designated forum. thanks.

Don't misinterpret. we aren't making excuses, it's just a simple matter of

"concealed carry" and "intent" and "possession of in the vicinity where he was at the time".

He made a grievious mistake, and he'll pay.

You have to make sure all your stuff is in order when you try to board

an airplane.

But going overboard with the other baloney is what some of us are trying to explain: it's baloney.

please quit it with this shit. one of the reasons that i enjoy this forum is that political talk isn't out in the open very often. keep it in it's designated forum. thanks.

Who died and made you moderator?

Sorry if I kicked some sand in your v-jay but what I said has everything to do with this topic.

Just floating this out there for all those people making excuses for Rogers, how many people think you would have the same reaction if Rogers was a no-named middle eastern guy with the same lame-assed "I forgot it was in there" excuse?

i've tried using this analogy with a couple of other topics on this forum before............but NOONE has ever given an answer because their true colors would be exposed. if it was a middle eastern man who had been stopped with a loaded cocked gun at an airport with a permit, it would have made national news. we would be looking into who gave him the permit and for what, maybe go interview his family and friends and embarrass the shit out of them on all the networks. and then it wouldn't be the liberal media anymore would it? in my opinion rogers is getting a break. he's lucky he's in cleveland. plaxico was on the news everyday here in ny and national news cuz it happened in ny.

i've tried using this analogy with a couple of other topics on this forum before............but NOONE has ever given an answer because their true colors would be exposed. if it was a middle eastern man who had been stopped with a loaded cocked gun at an airport with a permit, it would have made national news. we would be looking into who gave him the permit and for what, maybe go interview his family and friends and embarrass the shit out of them on all the networks. and then it wouldn't be the liberal media anymore would it? in my opinion rogers is getting a break. he's lucky he's in cleveland. plaxico was on the news everyday here in ny and national news cuz it happened in ny.

A multi-millionare football player with no intent of harming anyone that made a stupid mistake wouldnt concern me as much as a arabic man with a gun. Were at war because of arabic men hijacking plane's, thats a bit different from a dump football player with a gun

Just floating this out there for all those people making excuses for Rogers, how many people think you would have the same reaction if Rogers was a no-named middle eastern guy with the same lame-assed "I forgot it was in there" excuse?

But it is also a disingenuous question. I know he didn't mean it that way, so I'm not trying to slam bonedawg or anything. But, and unfortunately, our perception, and the media's interest, is garnered as a product of the environment in which we live. Right now, because of 9/11, the environment is suspicious of middle eastern people. It is sad, but it is true.

Because of this, you can't use your above quote as a valid analogy, because the circumstances negate it.

Was Rogers stupid to not know where his loaded and cocked .44 magnum Ultra II was at all times? I wouldn't say stupid, but he certainly needs to be a bit more aware. That being said, someone above mentioned that they have forgotten they had their pistol holstered when they got into their truck, because they were so used to having that pistol holstered and it became an extension of their body, rather than something that would constantly catch their attention.

Secondly, Rogers does (or did, not sure if Michigan will let him keep it now that this has happened) have a Conceal/Carry in Michigan. Not sure if this carries over to Ohio though.

This is not a black and white situation. My opinion, Rogers will get a slap on the wrist, lose his conceal/carry, do some community service, and maybe a year probation. He will probably get at most, a 1 game suspension from the NFL, but it is likely that Goodell will just slap his wrist as well.

Even without a carry permit it isn't a fair question. It's a one sided, biased, agenda driven question.

None the less, a dumb move on Rogers part.

I think it is a fair question. He is a public person, and the reporter has the right to ask the question.

Why do you need a gun? Why did you need to cheat on your wife? Why did you need to drive drunk?

Why did you need to commit any kind of crime...or perceived offense.

We ask these poignant questions of celebrities every day. There are whole programs dedicated to asking these questions.

They are fair in today's society for celebrities. They are especially fair if his actions may send him to prison.

He may have the right to refuse to answer, but the questions are fair.

I don't see any substantive difference between this really and what Plaxico Burris did....except for the fact that the accident of having this thing discharge didn't happen. Also, remember, this is potentially a FEDERAL offense because it occurred in an airport. Under federal sentencing guidelines a judge may have NO choice but to issue the mandated sentence.

I mean, Plaxico didn't have hostile intent either. They obviously didn't "lay off" him for an equally stupid act.

Hey....the NRA types have advocated for harsh penalties for people that violate the laws, including the gun laws. Don't complain when your chicken comes home to roost.

I don't see any substantive difference between this really and what Plaxico Burris did....except for the fact that the accident of having this thing discharge didn't happen. Also, remember, this is potentially a FEDERAL offense because it occurred in an airport. Under federal sentencing guidelines a judge may have NO choice but to issue the mandated sentence.

I mean, Plaxico didn't have hostile intent either. They obviously didn't "lay off" him for an equally stupid act.

Hey....the NRA types have advocated for harsh penalties for people that violate the laws, including the gun laws. Don't complain when your chicken comes home to roost.

There is a difference. Plaxico didn't have any conceal/carry of any kind. Rogers did.

Archived