THE BROWNS BOARD

OC Charlie Weis?

We need Tom Tupa

With his boy Quinn here, he might be interested. Are you?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring in Weis?

• Yes, as OC
    • Yes, but only as QB coach
    • Nope
    • Yes, as HC

Why or why not?

Tupa,

Is he available because he's acing the Head Coaching thing? Notre Dame fans are sounding alot like Cleveland Brown fans because NEITHER team got Tom Brady - they just got a Coordinator.

We keep falling into the SAME trap on looking for the hotshot Coordinators that know how to coach Superbowl Championship talent.

When Bill Belichick came here - do you want to know what his idea of first round picks were?

Derrick Alexander - so he could sit him in the doghouse the entire time he coached us.

Craig Powell - because he was pissed someone stole his Kyle Brady.

Tommy Vardell - so we could start a REAL power back named Leroy Hoard.

THEN, his choice of free agents were Joe Morris, James Brooks, Lorenzo White (the average age of those RB signees was about 40).

Atlanta just snagged some guy nobody ever heard of BUT in doing so - he didn't find an absolute culture shock in the absence of winnning character.

I think what happens to ALOT of the hotshot coordinators from talent-rich teams is they don't know how to handle anything less. Who was the corrdinator from San Diego that went to Miami for a 1-15 season last year?

The BEST regular season coach we've had in my lifetime of 44 years is the guy who replaced Sam Rutigliano. Sam was prolly my 2nd favorite Coach as NEITHER guy got a culture shock when they accepted the challenge to reverse crud. If you think Marty sucked as a Head Coach - don't tell ME. Just go up to Bill Cowher and tell him what you think. Straighten him out for me okay?

- Tom F.

"Is he available because he's acing the Head Coaching thing? Notre Dame fans are sounding alot like Cleveland Brown fans because NEITHER team got Tom Brady - they just got a Coordinator."

Tom, you'll notice that HC was the last option, and the title of the thread is OC Charlie Weiss. I'm not advocating giving him GM power, just wondering if you would want to hire him as "a Coordinator."

"Is he available because he's acing the Head Coaching thing? Notre Dame fans are sounding alot like Cleveland Brown fans because NEITHER team got Tom Brady - they just got a Coordinator."

Tom, you'll notice that HC was the last option, and the title of the thread is OC Charlie Weiss. I'm not advocating giving him GM power, just wondering if you would want to hire him as "a Coordinator."

LOL! Good point Toop! Thanks for straightening me out!

After further review, I think he'd work well as our OC based on his history with Quinn. I don't think our offense lacks the esential talent our defense does. There might be a couple problem solves a more experienced coach like Weis could find easier than the current staff has beenable to do.

I think a guy like Kirk Ferentz, who was our Oline coach the last time in the 90s we made the playoffs, would make a solid Head Coach candidate. He'd work well with Weis as our OC. He's ALREADY worked in Cleveland so he knows the culture and key to being good. In addition, he's now been a Head Coach and last I checked he recently beat a team from Pennsylvania thinking about a Championship.

- Tom F.

Archived