THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns will draft DEFENSE in the first round

ATENEARS

Cleveland Browns likely will go with defense with first selection in 2010 NFL Draft

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

April 11, 2010, 7:00AM

ABOUT THE BROWNS . . . (some paragraphs were removed and used in other threads pertaining to the specific topic)

1. I'm almost certain -- remember, it's ALMOST -- the Browns will use their No. 7 pick on a defensive player. Or they may trade down a few notches, but they still will go defense in the first round. There are too many holes in the secondary, too much age on the defensive line for them to ignore when it comes to making their most important pick of this draft.

2. Tennessee safety Eric Berry was in town and impressive in his interview. But I also hear the Browns like Texas safety Earl Thomas. Maybe they add a later pick, trade down a few notches, and take Thomas. There are some scouts who like Thomas as much or more than Berry. He had eight interceptions and 4.5 tackles for a loss last season. The negatives: He is just 5-10 and played only two years at Texas before turning pro. He may need some time to develop.

3. There's still some chatter about the Browns considering Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan in the first round, but he is better suited as a pass rusher in a 4-3 than having to switch to linebacker in Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. In 2008, Mangini's Jets made Ohio State's Vernon Gholston a No. 6 pick, hoping to switch him from defensive end in a 4-3 to outside linebacker in the 3-4. It didn't work. David Veikune (No. 52 pick last season) had the same problems after the Browns tried to help him make that change.

5. NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper predicted the Browns will take Dez Bryant in the first round. I can almost guarantee you -- remember, it's ALMOST -- that the troubled receiver from Oklahoma State won't be the pick. The Browns don't want to endure a second dance with a Braylon Edwards type.

6. I return to the idea of defense in the first round. How about a lineman? Shaun Rogers is 31 and has some legal trouble in front of him. Robaire Smith made a remarkable recovery from Achilles surgery, but he's 32. Kenyon Coleman turned 31 on Saturday, and because of injuries last season, he played older. That leaves Ahtyba Rubin, C.J. Mosley, Brian Schaefering and some others who haven't done much in the NFL. In terms of proven players, you have Smith, Coleman, Rubin, Rogers and Mosley.

8. What does this trio -- Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren and Kamerion Wimbley -- have in common? They are the only defensive players picked in the first round since the Browns returned. Something else they share: None of them are with the team.

9. How about these guys: Chaun Thompson, Sean Jones, Brodney Pool, D'Qwell Jackson, Eric Wright and David Veikune? They are the defensive players picked by the Browns in the second round since 1999. Jackson, Wright and Veikune remain with the team. Jackson is a restricted free agent and unhappy with his contract. He also may be better suited to play in a 4-3 than inside linebacker in the 3-4. Of these nine players, only Wright is assured to start with the Browns in 2010.

As usual, Terry is spot on.

He's never one to twist facts to support his theories. Instead he let's the facts dictate what his theory will be. He makes a strong case for why the Browns need more help at D-line before even WR & QB.

I am with him on Berry first, Thomas second, and let's hope we can trade back and still get Thomas.

Cleveland Browns likely will go with defense with first selection in 2010 NFL Draft

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

April 11, 2010, 7:00AM

ABOUT THE BROWNS . . . (some paragraphs were removed and used in other threads pertaining to the specific topic)

1. I'm almost certain -- remember, it's ALMOST -- the Browns will use their No. 7 pick on a defensive player. Or they may trade down a few notches, but they still will go defense in the first round. There are too many holes in the secondary, too much age on the defensive line for them to ignore when it comes to making their most important pick of this draft.

2. Tennessee safety Eric Berry was in town and impressive in his interview. But I also hear the Browns like Texas safety Earl Thomas. Maybe they add a later pick, trade down a few notches, and take Thomas. There are some scouts who like Thomas as much or more than Berry. He had eight interceptions and 4.5 tackles for a loss last season. The negatives: He is just 5-10 and played only two years at Texas before turning pro. He may need some time to develop.

After reading that article - you get the impression a draft pick playing Safety named Eric is NEVER a bad choice for the Browns. I'm not a BIG fan of the Texas Safeties - Michael Huff and Michael Griffen would be current examples. While Griffen had 1 great season w/ the Titans - his last season was a train wreck (I live in Nashville so trust me on that.). Since we've all made ourselves aware of how important the QB position is - well Safety is the QB of your defense. When you have guys manning the position like Thane Gash, Don Rogers, and Eric Turner - the history lesson in this says we competed in post seasons for doing so.

I listened to Holmgren say they're not gonna bend over backwards for NEED like Pamela Anderson does with Tommy's Lee & friends. They're gonna go after BPA (best player available). The GOOD NEWS there is we have lots of needs where there will be BPAs.

I usually dig in and promote/campaign for 1 offensive guy & 1 defensive guy. The unfortunate thing is I have NOT allowed myself to get too excited about Eric Berry because RAC didn't travel ALL the way to Knoxville to facilitate Eric Berry's pro day drills because he's a nice guy. I've been told Iowa OT Bulaga was sick when he gave up 2 sacks in 1 game to the school up north's Brandon Graham last year - but a Scott Pioli won't miss that when KC has already picked out their prom dress for for Eric Berry. Monte Kiffen already said that Eric Berry lost considerable glamor (INT) stats to his schemes. BUT because Berry was such a special talent - he was able to get creative as Hell with game plans and scheme. UT was a team that pressed both Florida and Alabama to the final second on the clock and it's ALL because of their defense under the leadership of Berry.

Earl Thomas isn't a good tackler and he's gained 15 poinds in the off season while bettering is 40? Sounds like more dirty urine for Pittsburgh. And his 5'10" height is a concern even though he got his playing weight up from 188 pounds. While I'm aware of what Ed Reed, Pollyneedsahaircut and Bob Sanders can do for a defense - these guys wear more blue jeans to football games every year than anyone else on their team because they're seemingly always injured. If you want an intinctive safety who is a bargain - Chad Jones of LSU looks like a 3rd round steal. Understanding what Holmgren said about BPA if we're going defense and Berry is gone - Joe Haden is STILL a very good pick too. I'm also hearing alot of rumors Sheldon Brown will play Safety here.

One thing to keep in mind, we're a little old and thin at the outside DT positions. I like Robaire - but how many grandfathers do you associate with upside today? If we trade down - who would be shocked about adding a DT later in round 1? And if it's BPA - what ILBer here is 22 years old, instinctive and smart enough to call all our defenses? Solon's boy Rolando McClain wouldn't even shock me in spite of us employing about 12 LBers today.

- Tom F. (If we want more TDs on offense - I only have eyes for Spiller)

I don't see Sheldon Brown playing Safety here, at least not this season. We have a need at both CB spots, and he is a bonafide Corner with new life.

That was Philly talk or chatter to lure more teams into the trade picture. Mark my words, He will play Corner here, regardless of how many CB's we pick up in the draft.

I don't see Sheldon Brown playing Safety here, at least not this season. We have a need at both CB spots, and he is a bonafide Corner with new life.

That was Philly talk or chatter to lure more teams into the trade picture. Mark my words, He will play Corner here, regardless of how many CB's we pick up in the draft.

That's GOOD news to my ears Stan! He's got excellent skills at a position he knows like the back of his hand. That's his niche as they say. There's GOOD Safeties in this draft we can snag if Bery gets taken before us.

- Tom F.

Archived