THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Gay Ben Suspended for 4-6 Games.

If he gets the full 6 it does and why would the league? They know those prime time games make money. The Steelers without Big Ben draws less of a crowd. I'm sure you wouldn't give a sh.it if the Browns weren't slated to play the Steelers week six.

actually, i really don't care. we beat them last year with ben and we can do it again. also, go away.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
then by your logic...jake will be fine. Defining future success on past performance

Leftwich played well when he had to start for the Steelers. He hardly had a opportunity in Tampa Bay because the team was flat out bad. They put in Freeman so he could get experience under center because their seasons was clearly on the down turn. Jake Delhomme on the other hand hasn't played well for a while. Bryon has within the last 2 years.

actually, i really don't care. we beat them last year with ben and we can do it again. also, go away.

No Aaron Smith, Polamalu...either of those guys are back and you get murdered. Yes the Steeler defense strictly hinges on both.

here are some interesting bits of info from goodell and a portion of the letter he sent to ben.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...ethlisberger-/1

From Goodell's letter to Ben: "You are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans," Goodell told Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger will not be allowed to participate in the Steelers' offseason workouts until his behavior is evaluated by medical professionals. The evaluators will confer with Goodell later this summer, and if Roethlisberger is progressing he will be allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason.

Goodell noted that Roethlisberger was charged with no crime. But he said the fact that the QB provided alcohol to underage people was a factor in his decision. "There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk," he told Roethlisberger.

Goodell spoke with Georgia DA Fred Bright, who decided not to charge Roethlisberger, as he considered the punishment. He told the QB to consider the ban not only a punishment but a second chance to reform his decision-making.

"In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people," he told Roethlisberger. "I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track."

No Aaron Smith, Polamalu...either of those guys are back and you get murdered. Yes the Steeler defense strictly hinges on both.

news flash genius: we didn't beat you with offense. you could have everyone at full strength on defense and it still would have helped you guys stop cribbs on special teams or your line from stopping our defense from sacking ben 8 times. troy and smith wouldn't have helped.

Since when do people base Leftwich's ability on what he did in f.ucking tampa? Oh let me answer that, absolutely no one.

Actually, it is everyone except delusional Squeeler fans. The NFL is a "What have you done for me lately" league. You are judged on your more recent performance. Leftwich had an NFL starting QB job on a silver platter there in Tampa ripe for the taking. He couldn't take it. He wasn't up to the task per the evaluation of the Tampa coaching staff. Thus, they were pleased to get rid of him at the cost of a farthing. And the only team in the NFL to whom he may have even been worth a farthing was the Steelers because he had recently spent a couple of years with them in their system.

Actually, it is everyone except delusional Squeeler fans. The NFL is a "What have you done for me lately" league. You are judged on your more recent performance. Leftwich had an NFL starting QB job on a silver platter there in Tampa ripe for the taking. He couldn't take it. He wasn't up to the task per the evaluation of the Tampa coaching staff. Thus, they were pleased to get rid of him at the cost of a farthing. And the only team in the NFL to whom he may have even been worth a farthing was the Steelers because he had recently spent a couple of years with them in their system.

I don't staunchly disagree but he's not a bad QB AND he was brought in to compete with Dixon. Either way it's all irrelevant. The Steelers still beat the Browns twice this year and make the playoffs. Write it down.

the absolute insanity of bitchburgh trolls is mind boggling and quite humorous at the same time. so you can't judge leftwich on what he did last season in tampa, but you CAN judge jake d on what he did last year in carolina? and did a bitchburgh troll really say leftwich has been better than jake d for the last few years?

wow, just a perfect example why it's not worth arguing with these numb skull trolls. they're out of their minds with all of the rapistburger drama and haven't been right since the browns embarassed the stoolers last december on national tv and knocked them out of the playoffs. i've never seen so many bitchburgh trolls having a rampant hissy fit on a browns board. i, for one, am enjoying every minute of this.

They'll be hurt again in 2 games....

Like it matters...half our team was on ir. We beat you up with rookies and depth.

Well, you ain't gonna beat the Ravens or the Bengals even with those guys. And here is a clue for you: those guys are pretty good, but they are not the key component to your defensive team. Your DC is. The guys that replaced them were adequate, and having Smith and Fabio in there would have been a slight, not a tremendous difference.

He did well when he started for us and he certainly played well for the Jags. His only detriment is his slow release. All this coming from a guy whose starting QB is Jake Delhomme lol.

I guess if any team can get by with a poor QB the Steelers can, but dude they won't. The is a reason he is a back up is because his skills have diminished from injury and has NEVER played in all 16 games in his career. There is a reason he has only played in 17 games in the last 4 years. He gets hurt over and over again, which dates back to Marshall. With your line, this dude will go down week 3. They relied heavily on Ben after your losing streak last season to win games. Mendenhall had 30 yard rushing games in 3 of those games at the end of the season, riding on Big Gay's arm. I am not saying this because I hate the Steelers, dude you got some problems unless you get a solid starter. Even then, your line is quite porous. Bulger anyone?

I guess if any team can get by with a poor QB the Steelers can, but dude they won't. The is a reason he is a back up is because his skills have diminished from injury and has NEVER played in all 16 games in his career. There is a reason he has only played in 17 games in the last 4 years. He gets hurt over and over again, which dates back to Marshall. With your line, this dude will go down week 3. They relied heavily on Ben after your losing streak last season to win games. Mendenhall had 30 yard rushing games in 3 of those games at the end of the season, riding on Big Gay's arm. I am not saying this because I hate the Steelers, dude you got some problems unless you get a solid starter. Even then, your line is quite porous. Bulger anyone?

The line is fine and leftwich was brought in to compete with Dixon. I'd wager Dixon wins the job. He already came in to camp 10 pounds heavier after working out in the off season. It will be Dixon's team until Big Ben returns and I'm just fine with that scenario.

The line is fine and leftwich was brought in to compete with Dixon. I'd wager Dixon wins the job. He already came in to camp 10 pounds heavier after working out in the off season. It will be Dixon's team until Big Ben returns and I'm just fine with that scenario.

Sorry man I'm not buying it.

more from goodell on his decision.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...minal-charges/1

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended his decision to suspend Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday despite the absence of criminal charges against him.

Goodell banned Roethlisberger for six games under the league's personal-conduct policy. He was accused of sexual assault in Georgia on March 5, but the local DA declined to prosecute him and cited a lack of evidence needed for a conviction.

Goodell said the absence of a legal certainty did not affect his decision.

"You don't have to be convicted of a crime or even charged with a crime," Goodell said of his authority under the personal-conduct policy. "If there's a pattern of behavior that reflects poorly on yourself, your team, and the league in general, it's important for us to have early intervention to stop that behavior and to correct the behavior. And that's what our intent is here.

"Correct the behavior so that they live up to the standards people expect in the NFL."

Goodell scolded Roethlisberger in a letter announcing the suspension and said there was no doubt the Steelers QB had tarnished the league's image. Still, he ordered Roethlisberger into counseling and said his goal is to encourage the QB to make himself into a better person.

"The intention is to change the behavior," he said. -- Jim Corbett

Sorry man I'm not buying it.

Don't buy it. Dixon nearly beat the Ravens and Leftwich was brought in to compete. You don't need to apologize, I wouldn't agree with me either because to agree means the Steelers will still be formidable without Big Ben. A notion no one in Cleveland wishes to acknowledge. Either way the 6 game suspension with the possibility for 4 is a harsh suspension. The Steelers have the trade feelers out looking for maybe a crazy Al Davis offer, one that I don't believe surfaces. He's worth more than a top 10 this year and I'm making the outlandish claims because that is exactly what he's worth to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In order for the Rooney's to consider unloading him they are going to have to be offered a lions share. They've already gone on record asking the City and the fans to get behind him in support because they are giving him another chance. He's not going anywhere. The Steelers will deal and everyone will move on...I'm so amazingly tired of the drama and pissed off at Ben for creating it. Everyone in Pittsburgh hopes he wakes the f.uck up and BELIEVE ME the city is split 50/50 on the issue. A good number want him flat out gone. My opinion is not entirely representative of the Pittsburgh fan base. The city is torn and it's Ben Ben's fault. He should be ashamed of himself and I think that shame will bring him back a better person and a better QB. He'll do his time and move on....I just hate that as a diehard Steeler fan I'm forced to deal with this a DAY BEFORE ONE OF THE BEST DAYS of the year.

Don't buy it. Dixon nearly beat the Ravens and Leftwich was brought in to compete. You don't need to apologize, I wouldn't agree with me either because to agree means the Steelers will still be formidable without Big Ben. A notion no one in Cleveland wishes to acknowledge. Either way the 6 game suspension with the possibility for 4 is a harsh suspension. The Steelers have the trade feelers out looking for maybe a crazy Al Davis offer, one that I don't believe surfaces. He's worth more than a top 10 this year and I'm making the outlandish claims because that is exactly what he's worth to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In order for the Rooney's to consider unloading him they are going to have to be offered a lions share. They've already gone on record asking the City and the fans to get behind him in support because they are giving him another chance. He's not going anywhere. The Steelers will deal and everyone will move on...I'm so amazingly tired of the drama and pissed off at Ben for creating it. Everyone in Pittsburgh hopes he wakes the f.uck up and BELIEVE ME the city is split 50/50 on the issue. A good number want him flat out gone. My opinion is not entirely representative of the Pittsburgh fan base. The city is torn and it's Ben Ben's fault. He should be ashamed of himself and I think that shame will bring him back a better person and a better QB. He'll do his time and move on....I just hate that as a diehard Steeler fan I'm forced to deal with this a DAY BEFORE ONE OF THE BEST DAYS of the year.

Like what if The Rooneys know that Ben's value is down a bit, but still want to deal him. Then What? Would they accept a first rounder and next year first or second.?

Like what if The Rooneys know that Ben's value is down a bit, but still want to deal him. Then What? Would they accept a first rounder and next year first or second.?

I really have no idea. I know that I'd have a hard time shipping him off for a first this year and a first or second next. Hell look what dumb a$$ Jerry Jones sent for lowly Roy Williams. My stance is that it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The Rooney's have the feelers out for a HUGE trade and if it doesn't arrive Big Ben stays put. I don't believe a huge trades hits the front porch so Big Ben stays a Steeler where he belongs. I honestly can't imagine a Steeler game without Big Ben behind center. I'd have a hard time getting past it to be honest and MAN would I hate to have to deal with him if he weren't a Steeler.

I don't staunchly disagree but he's not a bad QB AND he was brought in to compete with Dixon. Either way it's all irrelevant. The Steelers still beat the Browns twice this year and make the playoffs. Write it down.

Well, actually I have always like Leftwich. He has been a gutsy player and has had a bazooka arm. But that was then and this is now. Now, I don't think anyone knows what he has. I think the Steelers may have thrown him a lifeboat. If he is to be brought in to compete with Dennis Dixon....well, that shouldn't inspire confidence in either one.

As for the rest of what you said....well, you are down 1 QB for a while, your best WR, unproven running backs, and a bunch of guys on defense coming off injuries who you hope will be back to par.

And you said you would beat the Browns twice last year and make the playoffs. It didn't happen last year....with a stronger team. Why should it be expected to happen this year, other than you a wishin' and a hopin'?

Well, you ain't gonna beat the Ravens or the Bengals even with those guys. And here is a clue for you: those guys are pretty good, but they are not the key component to your defensive team. Your DC is. The guys that replaced them were adequate, and having Smith and Fabio in there would have been a slight, not a tremendous difference.

Troy Polamalu is 100% the key to Dick's entire scheme. It's silly to think otherwise. When Troy is healthy Dick does what he wants, when he's not he has to alter the ENTIRE game plan. Why do you think Ryan Clark struggled as much as he did when Troy went down, because Clark was asked to do more because Troy does that much. Aaron Smith on the other hand is the key to our run defense. Look at the stats, when he goes down the run defense goes down substantially. Both are VITAL to the entire operation and Troy changes games. The Steelers are a different team with him in the defensive backfield. If Dixon had Troy against the Ratbirds I'm confident we would have won.

I expect Dixon will be the guy to start their season anyway....unless Batch is still around.

Well, actually I have always like Leftwich. He has been a gutsy player and has had a bazooka arm. But that was then and this is now. Now, I don't think anyone knows what he has. I think the Steelers may have thrown him a lifeboat. If he is to be brought in to compete with Dennis Dixon....well, that shouldn't inspire confidence in either one.

As for the rest of what you said....well, you are down 1 QB for a while, your best WR, unproven running backs, and a bunch of guys on defense coming off injuries who you hope will be back to par.

And you said you would beat the Browns twice last year and make the playoffs. It didn't happen last year....with a stronger team. Why should it be expected to happen this year, other than you a wishin' and a hopin'?

Batch is considering retirement which is part of the reason Byron was brought back in to the fold. He still has the bazooka arm and the guts. As far as the receivers are concerned I'm not all that worried about it. Ward, Wallace, ARE and Battle, plus Heath Miller looks mighty fine to me and Limas Sweed gets his chance to emerge with Holmes gone. Mendenhall isn't proven now? Did you watch any of the games last year? I mean if we're beind realistic it's you that being a little delusional no? All bias aside. We also didn't make the playoffs because we lost a lot of vital pieces to the entire puzzle. If you ask me Polamalu is as important to the Steelers as Big Ben. Aaron Smith is up there as well. Also Casey Hampton is in ridiculous shape, supposedly the best of his career and we still have 10 draft picks. I hate the 6 game suspension but I'm genuinely not worried about the Steelers.

I really have no idea. I know that I'd have a hard time shipping him off for a first this year and a first or second next. Hell look what dumb a$$ Jerry Jones sent for lowly Roy Williams. My stance is that it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The Rooney's have the feelers out for a HUGE trade and if it doesn't arrive Big Ben stays put. I don't believe a huge trades hits the front porch so Big Ben stays a Steeler where he belongs. I honestly can't imagine a Steeler game without Big Ben behind center. I'd have a hard time getting past it to be honest and MAN would I hate to have to deal with him if he weren't a Steeler.

I am glad you're honest here. I think if they get the right offer and nobody screws them over, I think they'll do it. But that's a big IF.

I do agree with you on these points:

1. I do think Dixon will be the guy to start for them....BUT... If he cannot beat out old, hurt Leftwich then he should be jettisoned.

2. I do think the Steelers can be formidable without BR. To me, BR was never as big a factor in the Steeler success as some Squealer fans think. They can be formidible if they have the running game they once had (they don't have that now), and the defense they once had. (questionable on that now)

3, I agree he is worth more to the Steelers than to any other team...BUT....because he will NOT bring in trade what you think he should bring. Its like my time share. I can't get what I paid for it, but by keeping it and using it I am getting my value out of it.

4. I don't blame the Rooneys for asking for 'a lions share', but I don't think any team except Wacky Al's team would bite at that price. If some sucker would offer me double what I paid for my time share I would take it, but no one is foolish enough to do so in this market where I may be only able to get a 10th what I paid for it.

I am glad you're honest here. I think if they get the right offer and nobody screws them over, I think they'll do it. But that's a big IF.

I'm always honest man. I'm not here to troll and I do sling the sh.it but only when it's slung at me first. I'd like to think that I'm pretty football savvy and I post here for a different outlook on the division. A choice few guys don't like that I'm around and can't get past the high school bs but I'm just here to contribute and read intelligently when I'm afforded the opportunity to post without getting sh.it thrown in my direction.

And the right offer is going to have to be SUBSTANTIAL. They aren't going to throw away the franchise to unload Big Ben. The headache he created is a very easy fix and if the "scared straight" approach doesn't work I don't know what will. He'll walk the line and the Steelers will be fine. Someone on my Steelers board did bring up a interesting point. I'm also not implying this is going to occur but what IF Dixon goes 4-0, what do the Steelers do when Ben comes back. You don't want to hurt the confidence of a developing Dixon, nor hurt the momentum but you also don't want to hinder your franchise QB. All of this is so amazingly frustrating and ONCE AGAIN shame on Big Ben for putting the franchise in this position.

Batch is considering retirement which is part of the reason Byron was brought back in to the fold. He still has the bazooka arm and the guts. As far as the receivers are concerned I'm not all that worried about it. Ward, Wallace, ARE and Battle, plus Heath Miller looks mighty fine to me and Limas Sweed gets his chance to emerge with Holmes gone. Mendenhall isn't proven now? Did you watch any of the games last year? I mean if we're beind realistic it's you that being a little delusional no? All bias aside. We also didn't make the playoffs because we lost a lot of vital pieces to the entire puzzle. If you ask me Polamalu is as important to the Steelers as Big Ben. Aaron Smith is up there as well. Also Casey Hampton is in ridiculous shape, supposedly the best of his career and we still have 10 draft picks. I hate the 6 game suspension but I'm genuinely not worried about the Steelers.

Another point of agreement. I am not worried as I don't think they will be a factor in the divisional race. Baltimore and Cinci are far more concerning.

And no, Mendenhall isn't proven as a top flight NFL running back. Any more than Jerome Harrison is. And Harrison was far more impressive in the games he played in last year than Mendenhall.

Another point of agreement. I am not worried as I don't think they will be a factor in the divisional race. Baltimore and Cinci are far more concerning.

And no, Mendenhall isn't proven as a top flight NFL running back. Any more than Jerome Harrison is. And Harrison was far more impressive in the games he played in last year than Mendenhall.

Harrison isn't half the running back Mendenhall is and I can't believe you made the comparison and lol at already fluffing the Steelers off. One minute you sound like you're capable of coherent thought and the next your foaming at the mouth.

Archived