THE BROWNS BOARD

2nd ROUND PICK???

beare

For what it's worth Michael Smith said it is doubtful that we use a 2 on a QB. He was right about us drafting Haden or Wilson yesterday.

Holmgren has said all along that it is unlikely we are going to use a 1 or 2 on a QB. I think he wants to make sure he has a good situation in place before he throws someone in there.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth Michael Smith said it is doubtful that we use a 2 on a QB. He was right about us drafting Haden or Wilson yesterday.

Holmgren has said all along that it is unlikely we are going to use a 1 or 2 on a QB. I think he wants to make sure he has a good situation in place before he throws someone in there.

I agree totally with that philosophy. There will probably be better QBs coming out next year like Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet, Andrew Luck, Ricki Stanzi.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned taking Sergio Kindle if he's still available. The guy is one of the top rated 3-4 OLBs in the draft, a legitimate 1st round talent, and a more polished Brian Orakpo at LB. I just don't see why we should pass on this guy when he definitely fills a need unless of course we go the QB route

I'm surprised no one has mentioned taking Sergio Kindle if he's still available. The guy is one of the top rated 3-4 OLBs in the draft, a legitimate 1st round talent, and a more polished Brian Orakpo at LB. I just don't see why we should pass on this guy when he definitely fills a need unless of course we go the QB route

a report just came out on pft that kindle might need micro fracture surgery.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...of-first-round/

Medical issues pushed Kindle out of first round

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 11:08 AM ET

Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle surprisingly didn't get selected in the first round Thursday.

Now we know why.

Several teams had Kindle off their board due to medical issues, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Chip Brown of Rivals.com writes that Kindle's knee was a "serious" medical risk that could require microfracture surgery.

Kindle also takes medication for narcolepsy and ADD, although we doubt those are major issues. Kindle is known for his football intelligence, but his durability risks was too great for teams to take in the first round.

At some point in the second round, we think the risk of his injuries will be worth the reward of his considerable talents.

Logical possible choices for Browns:

DE Kindle Texas...IF those microfracture issues are not a factor

S Mays...USC

DT Cody...Alabama

QB McCoy...Texas

DE Griffen...USC

S Allen...So. Fla

And what about these OTs: Campbell or Maryland, Safold of Indiana and Browns of USC.

Are any of these RT candidates, or do they all play the Left Tackle spot.

All of these are potential areas of need. (no Clausen please)

From theWire

Sporting News prognosticator Russ Lande, who spent three years as a scout for the Browns, has Cleveland taking Southern Cal safety Taylor Mays with their first pick of the second round. Apparently, he's not convinced that the Browns are looking for their quarterback of the future in this draft, as he has Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen going to the Raiders, who pick eighth today, one after the Browns, and Texas' Colt McCoy going to the Cardinals . . . in the third round, with the 88th pick overall.

From theWire

Sporting News prognosticator Russ Lande, who spent three years as a scout for the Browns, has Cleveland taking Southern Cal safety Taylor Mays with their first pick of the second round. Apparently, he's not convinced that the Browns are looking for their quarterback of the future in this draft, as he has Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen going to the Raiders, who pick eighth today, one after the Browns, and Texas' Colt McCoy going to the Cardinals . . . in the third round, with the 88th pick overall.

I'd be happy with this. We need a hard hitting safety that WR's fear.

I am thinking Cody myself.

Then that would free us up to trade Rogers for another 2nd round pick....I don't think his airport charges are going to create a big problem for the guy, so some team might be willing to make the swap.

That or go OL and take the OT from Indiana...can't think of his name at the moment.

A felony gun charge isn't going to cause a bunch of problems? A second round pick? not gonna happen.

haha pretty much man. He basically defended himself for like 15 minutes despite no one calling him out about it. It was pretty pathetic.

he couldn't get a word in between gruden riding tebow's dick and steve young continuously blabbing bullshit. i know tom jackson was ready to wring young's neck

as for the 2nd rounder i'd really like to see the FO finish what they started and draft mays at safety to solidy our once weak secondary. i think mangini and holmgren would be able to straighten the kid out if he really had a problem.

he couldn't get a word in between gruden riding tebow's dick and steve young continuously blabbing bullshit. i know tom jackson was ready to wring young's neck

as for the 2nd rounder i'd really like to see the FO finish what they started and draft mays at safety to solidy our once weak secondary. i think mangini and holmgren would be able to straighten the kid out if he really had a problem.

Im with you brother. If we dont like Mccoy in the second round im all for selecting mays and letting Mangini and Ryan have some fun with him. Did just hear on espn that they were projecting us to select mays.

it wouldn't make my draft but Mays in the 2nd would be awesome. he's a Rob Ryan wet dream. he's fast as hell for 230 lbs and QUICK. i like him in run support too--he can tackle when he wants.

he claimed they [uSC] basically wanted him blowing people up (which resulted in being probably his biggest knock) but regardless i don't have concerns about whiffs or bad tackling.

at 6'3 he could probably cover any TE and the flexibility he'd add is worth the price of admission i feel. swap out the other safety and the pure speed we'd have in the defensive backfield would be NFL elite.

Haden, Mays, Brown, Wright with depth all day i'm in.

If we're looking to solidify the d backfield, mays isn't the guy. Bad instincts and constantly gets caught peekin in the backfield. Not my cup of tea. We have elam, so I guess I don't see the need to add another one dimensional safety.

Allen, burnett, jones, wright is they go safety here...but id seriously consider bolstering the dl first

If we're looking to solidify the d backfield, mays isn't the guy. Bad instincts and constantly gets caught peekin in the backfield. Not my cup of tea. We have elam, so I guess I don't see the need to add another one dimensional safety.

well you see what ryan's brother is doing here in ny and all the pontifs are calling it one of the best d's in the league. adding the next best safety in the draft makes sense to me. corners that can cover and safeties that can hit. no brainer. the dl position in the draft is much deeper now that the top notch corners and safeties are gone. i just hope we DON"T go qb here. if holmgren wants one this year there's still pike and lefevour. i still like pike better because of his size. 6'6" and 225? come on now.

Pete carrol passed on him...it much more than a no brainer. The good cover safeties are gone...mays is a liability...like elam...imo

just cuz he played for you doesn't mean he was the highest rated. we all know berry and thomas were higher rated than him.

wasn't pickles rated higher than tebow?

An arbitrary rating by "experts" means nada. Safeties are asked to cover in ths pass first league...something mays can not do. Frankly, I'm sick of giving up the big play.

now that Taylor Mays would be surrounded by a coaching staff of defensive geniuses with newly implemented counter-offensive theories they might be able to coach him up a little and help out with those instincts.

fortunately, he's got the make-up speed to aid him while he learns the pro game, and once he gets a feel for the NFL...this guy has a high ceiling.

i like Elam off the field-mentoring, keeping morale high, and providing solid depth if needed. but i'll take anyone that can improve upon our current starters, obviously.

Lamar Houston is a one-gap player. He doesn't fit the Browns' 3-4 (even though I love me some Houston). Zac Robinson isn't even in my top ten QBs. He makes horrible decisions under college pressure. His arm is average. Jerry Hughes went to the Colts (great player).

I think Houston would look good as a 3-4 DE hes a freak athelte that is pretty raw but were not in hurting for a starter right now so it make sense.

Robinson is pretty raw but he has an above average arm and I really like what i saw in the senior bowl. Picking him up late would be the best value in my opinion.

I forgot about golden tate hes my favorite wr in this draft id bust a nut if we got him in the 2nd

Archived