THE BROWNS BOARD

Downgrading The Colt

Earl34

I'm going to preface this by saying that Colt McCoy is a developmental project. 31 other teams passed on him several times before he became a Cleveland Brown. Some knocks on the Colt are that he's too short (can't change that), not big enough (he bulked up 15lbs from 195 to 210). We can't change much, if any, of that. He is criticized for his lack of arm strength and throwing the deep ball. He's criticized for being a "spread offense" product. I am going to suggest to you that "it's really not that bad". Here are some video examples:

Colt Does Not Operate Under Center

This has been stated in several places on the web but it isn't entirely true. The following video shows highlights from his freshman year. If you notice, much of it is showing him dropping back from center. He tied the NCAA record for TD passes by a freshman (29). Notice that he steps up against Nebraska delivering a long pass while taking the hit.

Colt Doesn't Have A Strong Arm

To some degree, this is true. He won't be confused with John Elway. This play however shows a nice 35 yard throw to the boundary.

You can also see a 45-yard strike on the first play of this highlight montage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're an optimist, you want to see what McCoy does well. Here's some examples

Touch Pass Under Pressure

Escapability

Toughness

Showing Some Wheels

Just some stuff for y'all to chew on....and this isn't to mention how many big games he's played and won on big stages. He was 3-1 against Oklahoma for starters. Have fun!

Guest birddog1

Thanks for posting. I think he's going to be one heck of a QB. I like his accuracy even when throwing across his body. There were some wide open throws but also some that he squeezed through a small window.

Fact is Colt was a spread O guy....played his best ball in the shotgun.....but with me at least, you don't need to justify a thing....I like the Spread and would have taken Tebow in a nano second if given the call..

I hope Colt blossoms and is one of the Browns greats.....spread or not, he is now my guy even if I don't like the name....I am sure it will grow on me.

I hope we keep 4 Qbs this year and bury the kid deep in depth chart, let him learn from a seasoned vet in Delomme and the coaching staff, then give him his shot in 2 years, maybe next year if he is ready.

I love the fact players like Colt and Tim are being given legit shots.....it's the future whether people want to admit it or not.

You can bet your sweet bippy(you're old enough to remember that) I am pulling for the kid.....but I do like the idea of seasoning him a bit. Give him his best shot.

I agree with Zombo....if people start calling for him at any point this season, I am in favor of punching them in the adams apple....it's obvious they don't know a thing about trying to develop and season a player.

Baseball has it right...they don't just draft a player and stick him in to the starting rotation against the best...they stick him on the mound in A,AA, or AAA to give him a chance to see what works against good, better, and even better players.

I wish the NFL could stick 2 players a year on the practice squad, at a higher salary, who are exempt from being signed by another team.....any player designated as such could only be protected once in such a fashion.

A redshirt for 2 players if you will.

I think at some point the NFL may do something like that.

I can hope.

Colt "seems" (to me at least) to float a lot of his passes. I have really never payed much attention to Colt before, but since the draft, I have been checking out all the videos I can find, and he seems to put a lot of air under the ball on the majority of his passes, and that concerns me. I still think he was the right pick at the right time, and I have nothing but high hopes for him, cause he seems like a class act.

Colt "seems" (to me at least) to float a lot of his passes. I have really never payed much attention to Colt before, but since the draft, I have been checking out all the videos I can find, and he seems to put a lot of air under the ball on the majority of his passes, and that concerns me. I still think he was the right pick at the right time, and I have nothing but high hopes for him, cause he seems like a class act.

I won't say that you're wrong D Bone but I think that the question is "did he float the pass for touch reasons or not". Some of the angles on the highlights are limited.

I won't say that you're wrong D Bone but I think that the question is "did he float the pass for touch reasons or not". Some of the angles on the highlights are limited.

Yea, I agree. His mechanics seem stout, as does his pocket presence, so his upside should be very high.

Flat out, the kid's a winner & will contribute any way he can. I believe he will be held out this year (as he should be), maybe next & develop into a heck of a future leader for our Browns.

Mike

Even in college against limited competition, if this were a major issue, you'd think that he would have more interceptions and less than a 70% completion percentage.

I am going to suggest to you that "it's really not that bad". Here are some video examples:

Nice post Earl. You really don't have to suggest it to me. Colt is a big time winner, in a big time program, on a big time stage.

He'll win us a Superbowl or two- just like Jake.

Colt seemed to take the draft in stride. I know we didn't see what was going on at the house the whole time... But compared to another QB in 2007 on draft day who kept sliding down, Colt seemed to take the whole thing very well.

Not that BQ has ever said that he deserved to play, but the way he handled draft day in 2007 and watching his demeanor change never really sat well with me. And the way so many people here drank the Kool-aid that BQ was the next messiaha, please let's not do this with Colt.

But as it has been said, I hope that Colt is taught the position. Has time to learn and study. Comes in and plays like a Steve Young. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders so we shall see what happens.

Colt seemed to take the draft in stride. I know we didn't see what was going on at the house the whole time... But compared to another QB in 2007 on draft day who kept sliding down, Colt seemed to take the whole thing very well.

Not that BQ has ever said that he deserved to play, but the way he handled draft day in 2007 and watching his demeanor change never really sat well with me. And the way so many people here drank the Kool-aid that BQ was the next messiaha, please let's not do this with Colt.

But as it has been said, I hope that Colt is taught the position. Has time to learn and study. Comes in and plays like a Steve Young. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders so we shall see what happens.

I am absolutely excited about, not just McCoy being on the team now, but how Holmgren/Heckert/Mangini are handling him. They are letting him sit for at least a year (I'd imagine that if Delhome plays well this year, that he will finish his 2 year contract as starter) and learn. There are only a couple QB's I can think of, that came in and started as rookies, got beat to hell, and came out as future Hall of Famers (Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman... Don't remember if Elway started right away, but he would be another if he did.)

Eli Manning also got thrown to the wolves his rookie year and went on a few years later to engineer one of the biggest upset Super Bowls in the history of the NFL. HOFer or not, definitely worth mentioning.

I appreciate what Holmgren & co. are doing with Colt as well. It's refreshing to see that we won't have a QB controversy, there won't be a competition, and win or lose, we'll know who's gonna be starting for the next 16 games. I really hope Colt gets to sit for 2 years. It benefitted Tony Romo and Aaron Rogers to be able to sit for awhile. It would certainly benefit Colt to do the same.

I think sitting the rookie QB unless you positively have to start him is the way to do it.

I really like the McCoy pick. We may have gotten lucky that he dropped to us, but I like more that our FO didn't jump the gun and had the patience to wait, then nabbed him when he was still available. Either way we have our starting QB on the roster for the next couple years in Delhomme with a rookie QB in McCoy to sit and learn till it's his time.

I don't think anyone has any knocks on Colt. Reflecting on all of this, I think he has come at the perfect time; this fan base is finally prepared to sit back and be patient, has confidence in the three-headed brass in charge, and the team should be strengthen enough by time Colt gets the nod.

It's all good, no reason to defend or prop up. Much else to talk about and keep the pages filled here, no format for drama.

I don't think anyone has any knocks on Colt. Reflecting on all of this, I think he has come at the perfect time; this fan base is finally prepared to sit back and be patient, has confidence in the three-headed brass in charge, and the team should be strengthen enough by time Colt gets the nod.

It's all good, no reason to defend or prop up. Much else to talk about and keep the pages filled here, no format for drama.

I agree with everything you said especially the part where Colt is a player and winner..........or did I miss that part.....screw the fans they are what they are for the most part dolts

Archived