THE BROWNS BOARD

Evolution of the Cleveland Browns

mopaji

Awesome post, mopaji. One of the best I have read in a long time.

And Gips, I'm glad to see you're willing to adjust your take on Coach Mangini as well. Good times all around.

I know we're all still in the post-draft euphoria, but there is no doubt when you look at the roster from January '09 when Mangini was hired to today there's three common themes: Increased talent, toughness, and intelligence.

Awesome post, mopaji. One of the best I have read in a long time.

And Gips, I'm glad to see you're willing to adjust your take on Coach Mangini as well. Good times all around.

I know we're all still in the post-draft euphoria, but there is no doubt when you look at the roster from January '09 when Mangini was hired to today there's three common themes: Increased talent, toughness, and intelligence.

Agreed, but you forgot another 2...character & discipline. We certainly have a much stronger foundation upon which to build, don't we?

It's funny (actually sad), but in years past, I used to look at the draft & question so many moves. In this one, my tendency was to do a little research after seeing the pick, & then understanding why it was made. This has been a very logical & well thought out maneuver. Good stuff!

Mike

I have a question that maybe someone who knows the situation can answer. Did Mangini lose the jets team? Did they quit on him?

Here's my opinion (I'll probably get blasted for it). I think the Jets, IF they quit, quit on their "on field" leader...Brett Favre, who seems to care more for his own stats/legacy than his team's success these days. Had he looked at the good of his team rather than his consecutive start streak, they most likely would have made the playoffs. Should Mangini have yanked him?...Probably, but I believe he has learned from that.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Here's my opinion (I'll probably get blasted for it). I think the Jets, IF they quit, quit on their "on field" leader...Brett Favre, who seems to care more for his own stats/legacy than his team's success these days. Had he looked at the good of his team rather than his consecutive start streak, they most likely would have made the playoffs. Should Mangini have yanked him?...Probably, but I believe he has learned from that.

Just my opinion.

Mike

I think you're right. Brett with the Jets was never about the team. He never wanted to be there in the first place. His speech to the huddle before the last game of the year (win and you're in) was LESS than inspiring. When Mangini was fired, the team leaders were hacked (Faneca, Kris Jenkins, Thomas Jones, Leon, etc). As for yanking Favre, I don't know of too many NFL coaches who'd show that kind of power (ie., it's a lose-lose proposition). No one throws a hissy-fit like Brett.

I would offer you this: Have you ever seen a 1-11 team playing in miserable weather for a seemingly lame duck coach play for him like the Browns did last December? Of the Jets or Browns who've ever complained about Mangini, where they star players and team leaders or where they malcontents and marginal players who likely didn't like being pushed all that hard? Think about it.

I'm the orginal Mangini cheerleader, The Browns look and are run like a professional football team should be run, Mangini came in with his vision and did some dirty work straightening out this colossal mess that was the Cleveland Browns..Cap Hell..bad character,overpaid, malcontents ruled the locker room..Hopefully Heckert and Holmgren recognized there job coming in was made a WHOLE lot easy because EM took out the trash. .I am proud of the Cleveland Browns because they are good role models,hard working, old school athletes..I'm excited about our team and am so looking forward to this season.

Two words:

'Dawgpound Mike'

One word:

'Tool'

Give Lerner some credit for not pulling the trigger on Mangini after our so-called 'Fan Representative' campaigned against Mangin.

epic fail

Dawg%20Pound%20Mike.jpgbrownsfans-300x270.jpg

I love how if you wear a costume or have had season tickets for 10 or more years you are suddenly qualified to speak on the Browns as if you know something based on your tenure alone. As soon as somebody starts their statement with "I've been a season ticket holder for ___ years" I know they are about to spew a bunch of nonsense. If you wait until the end to announce your devotion, then you have much more credibility. Attention Dawg Pound Mike! You cannot purchase fandom!

I hope I'm not offending anybody here but Dawg Pound Mike is an absolute douche bag of a fan. He sounded like a casual female fan trying to relate to her boyfriend so he will include her in his Sunday plans. He has the same perspective on the team as any local female bartender. No disrespect to female bartenders, in fact, you are one of my all time favorite groups of people.

I love how if you wear a costume or have had season tickets for 10 or more years you are suddenly qualified to speak on the Browns as if you know something based on your tenure alone. As soon as somebody starts their statement with "I've been a season ticket holder for ___ years" I know they are about to spew a bunch of nonsense. If you wait until the end to announce your devotion, then you have much more credibility. Attention Dawg Pound Mike! You cannot purchase fandom!

I hope I'm not offending anybody here but Dawg Pound Mike is an absolute douche bag of a fan. He sounded like a casual female fan trying to relate to her boyfriend so he will include her in his Sunday plans. He has the same perspective on the team as any local female bartender. No disrespect to female bartenders, in fact, you are one of my all time favorite groups of people.

i've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years, i can tell you that you're right about Dawg Pound Mike.

Honestly, I liked Mangini even as head coach of the Jets. I'm not a Jets fan at all, but I enjoyed most of the Mangini vs. Belichick hype in the media (though spygate got pretty dull there for a while) and nearly always favored Mangini.

There is one issue that I still wonder about: Was Belichick wrong to demand of Mangini (as friend) that he not go to the Jets or was Mangini wrong to go there in spite of his friend's demands? If they really were close, as it seems they were, then at least one of them abandoned the friendship over this decision. You might want to say that the opportunity was too great; the friendship had to be sacrificed. On the other hand, you might think that Mangini owed too much to Belichick to go against his wishes on the matter. Not sure what to say.

In any case these days I enjoy hating the Jets.

Honestly, I liked Mangini even as head coach of the Jets. I'm not a Jets fan at all, but I enjoyed most of the Mangini vs. Belichick hype in the media (though spygate got pretty dull there for a while) and nearly always favored Mangini.

There is one issue that I still wonder about: Was Belichick wrong to demand of Mangini (as friend) that he not go to the Jets or was Mangini wrong to go there in spite of his friend's demands? If they really were close, as it seems they were, then at least one of them abandoned the friendship over this decision. You might want to say that the opportunity was too great; the friendship had to be sacrificed. On the other hand, you might think that Mangini owed too much to Belichick to go against his wishes on the matter. Not sure what to say.

In any case these days I enjoy hating the Jets.

Nobody owes anybody anything. When you're 34 years old and an NFL team offers you a head coaching position, you'd be nuts not to take it. I think that Belichick's sulking over it has proven to represent more of a fear of Mangini on his part rather than a general attitude of not wanting an assistant to coach in your division. Subsequent Mangini-Belichick matchups have borne out that he has every right to be afraid of Eric. When last they met, Mangini's Jets beat Belichick's Pats in prime time in Foxboro.

Archived