THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim Brown's services no longer required

HowieDawg

That's a really cool picture of Holmgren and Jim. Obviously there's much respect between those two, and since Jim is very important to our organization, I'm sure Holmgren went into this knowing he had to handle this correctly or risk alienating a lot of people. How do you tell a legend that you don't need what he's been providing anymore? Probably not very easy to do.

Jim Brown no longer has an official role with the Browns organisation

I guess to a certain extent this had to happen one day.

His contribution will always be remembered I am sure. I know that as I get older I find it harder to keep my opionions to myself, I feel this was part of the decision.

Well, JB is 75 years old now. At some point he was going to be put out to pasture.

That's a really cool picture of Holmgren and Jim. Obviously there's much respect between those two, and since Jim is very important to our organization, I'm sure Holmgren went into this knowing he had to handle this correctly or risk alienating a lot of people. How do you tell a legend that you don't need what he's been providing anymore? Probably not very easy to do.

Maybe it was partly JB's own decision to step down?

Another article, this time from nfl.com

from nfl.com

The Hall of Fame running back no longer is an official executive adviser for the Cleveland Browns, the team with which he spent his entire stellar career. Brown had served as a consultant for the Browns and team owner Randy Lerner for the past few years.

Brown's title has been dropped, but the Brown of all Browns still will be involved with the team, spokesman Neal Gulkis said Thursday.

Gulkis said Brown recently met with new team president Mike Holmgren, and the pair agreed that Brown will not have an official role. Brown, 74, will remain active in various programs, Gulkis said. Brown spoke to the team's rookies during their recent minicamp.

Brown rushed for 12,312 yards during his famed career with the Browns from 1957 to 1965. He retired as the league's leading rusher, and he still holds several team records. His No. 32 was retired by Cleveland in 1971, when he was enshrined in Canton, Ohio.

Despite a back problem that forces him to use a cane, Brown has been a fixture at the Browns' summer training camp in recent years. In April, he took the stage at New York's Radio City Music Hall and announced one of the Browns' selections in the NFL draft.

Brown has maintained close ties to Cleveland since retiring. He has been a social activist since leaving the game and remains outspoken on almost any topic. Last week in a radio interview, Brown came to the defense of Cavaliers superstar LeBron James by saying the NBA's two-time MVP was being unfairly treated by fans after the team was eliminated from the playoffs.

Cleveland Browns strip Hall of Famer Jim Brown of executive adviser title

Hall of Famer Jim Brown has lost his title, but not his affiliation, with the Cleveland Browns.Team president Mike Holmgren met with Brown recently, and the team has removed Browns' former title as an executive adviser to the club.

Team spokesman Neal Gulkis stressed the change was only in title and that Brown will still contribute to the Browns. He told the News-Herald:

"He's still part of the Browns family. He's the greatest running back of all time. He'll talk with (owner) Randy (Lerner), Mike (Holmgren) and (coach) Eric (Mangini) and the players like he has in the past. He spoke at the rookie minicamp. His role hasn't really changed."

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that the Browns' Paul Warfield (also a Hall of Famer) also may not continue in his role as a special scout.

-- Sean Leahy

I think that a player of him caliber shoul keep his title and. I know its just a title but does this mean that he has been started to be pushed out. I hope not!

Jim Brown no longer has an official role with the Browns organisation

I guess to a certain extent this had to happen one day.

His contribution will always be remembered I am sure. I know that as I get older I find it harder to keep my opionions to myself, I feel this was part of the decision.

Well Brown and Warfield are two of the greatest NFL players ever. We need to adulate both and salute and make both consultants. And move on with reconstructing the carnage of the last ten years. I am sure listening to both will help instead of more stupidity. Right now I am confident good things are coming to turn around the absolute stupidity under Savage and near absolute stupidity before

Jim Brown is the greatest running back in the history of the game.....

The majority of NFL players, both past and present, agree that he was the best of all time....

Now we have some lame poster thats a troll on our site saying that Brown was a bum and couldn't compete with the modern day player....

I think I'll stick with my opinion and the opinion of those that have actually played the game....

What an idiot, what a dweeb---hey mods, kick him /her/it to the curb...... Surely has nothing to add of intelligence to our board... wow!!!

Peace

T.Dawg

Jim Brown acted as a consultant for Randy Lerner. Jim Brown was not influential and the results for the Browns speak for themselves.

Jim Brown is clueless about the modern era of football and only played for 8 years in a run dominated game against talent that would not be drafted today.

70 year

Jim Brown is also a racist. He does not like white people and he needs to really get rid of his African hat. Is he an American or an African?

Jim Brown would end up like Earl Campbell in today's modern era league. He wasn't that good, the talent he played against was lame.

Jim Brown needs to pack his suitcase and quit offering advice that hasn't mattered one single bit. He is a gangsta 70 year old blowhard who does not understand football.

Jim Brown played nine years

Jim Brown was a superb pass receiver and caught many TD of various types mostly downfield

Jim Brown never missed a game is his career

The league made running easier after Brown retired by moving the hash marks.

Jim Brown has the highest lifetime average per carry in history.

Jim Brown won the MVP in the Pro Bowl game the year he retired

Jim Brown scored averaged nearly a TD per game in his career

The league is no more passing now than then. Frank Ryan threw 29 TD passes in the Browns last championship season.

List whom has thrown more!

like some stated the consensus of opinion is Jim Brown is perhaps the greatest of the great football players and the best RB ever

A recent radio discussion questioned whom should be first five elected to the hall of fame and this was in another city.

Two players were mentioned Brown and Jerry Rice and as well as Pete Rozelle, Vince Lombardi, and George Halas.

You post was dumb, and only a racist would make the racist comments you stated.

If you can be objective about Jim Brown's career watch any video highlight clips and see how many guys on defense missed tackles. Those players on defense would not be drafted or be playing in the modern age of football. I would have liked to see Jim Brown play against the Steel Curtain defense and see how good he was. Plus the guy only played for eight years and got out as defenses got better. He knew that the days of playing against chumps were over and people would see that he was average at best.

Jack Lambert was a sissy. Franco Harris could never play in todays NFL. Mean Joe Greene was gay. Jim Brown was the NFL's greatest.

Jim Brown did weigh about 40lbs more then the linebackers he faced...

If you took Jim Brown and stuck him in a time machine and warped him onto the playing field today... well he would make an NFL Team, but on most teams he might not even be the starter.

The guy was blessed with great size, speed and strength for his time, but now we have linebackers weighing almost 280lbs and DLinemen coming in from 330-350. He would need some good PEDs to compete, but all of these players take PEDs regardless...

If you can be objective about Jim Brown's career watch any video highlight clips and see how many guys on defense missed tackles. Those players on defense would not be drafted or be playing in the modern age of football. I would have liked to see Jim Brown play against the Steel Curtain defense and see how good he was. Plus the guy only played for eight years and got out as defenses got better. He knew that the days of playing against chumps were over and people would see that he was average at best.

They were scared of Jim Brown.

The legend of Jim Brown is greater than any super bowl victory, and even if you have several.

When Jim Brown played those ugly bumble bee stoolers, they would piss their pants at the site of him walking onto the field.

I already corrected you on two massive errors. Like a buffoon would, yu just ignore your being wrong and repost the error. First, Jim Brown played nine years NOT eight. Second, because running was so hard to accomplish the NFL in 1972 circa changed the hash marks and moved them to make running easier. Of course since you know jackshit about football you are unaware of this field change and why and the consequences, and further you prolly have no clue what a hash mark is

for all else on this thread Jim Brown played at 228 pounds with 4.6 forty speed and a stiff arm that would take down a bull and a 32 inch waist.......wanna bet Adrian Peterson cannot top those physical stats

the best their ever was even Barry Sanders agrees.........but you all of 12 or so.....KNOW ALL

Jack Lambert was a sissy. Franco Harris could never play in todays NFL. Mean Joe Greene was gay. Jim Brown was the NFL's greatest.

cool bubba, you are everywhere.............a poster here a mod dere.........some tings never change...............be nice to me........YOU GET IT

cool bubba, you are everywhere.............a poster here a mod dere.........some tings never change...............be nice to me........YOU GET IT

Hope troll boy gets the hint after I deleted all his dissing of the Greatest Ever. Go piss elsewhere, Steeler flamer.

And if you want to go "Modern Era" Franco Harris was the biggest sissy running back ever- never saw a sideline he didn't love. Bradshaw wouldn't have won all those Super Bowls, because by today's standards he would have been concussed out of the league after three years or so.

BTW, you only can compare same time frame to same time frame. FWIW, if Jim Brown had done a Jerry Rice, and played until he couldn't play anymore, he'd still hold the all-time rushing record. He had the record beat by 5,000 yards when he retired at 29 and he easily could have played another 6-8 years, if not 10.To compare apples to apples, if it was so damn easy to put up big rushing numbers in the 60s, want me to post the stats for those Steeler Stalwarts John Henry Johnson and Dick Hoak?

So by your flawed logic, we have to say Jessie Owens sucked big time too- because all his records in the 1936 Olympics have been surpassed by HIGH SCHOOL kids. I could extend the same logic to MLB and say Babe Ruth was a fat pig who couldn't have hit .200 today, and Cy Young would have struggled to win 100 games. It's just nuts to think Owens couldn't have significantly shaved time off those world records if he had been able to avail himself to 2010 training methods- Jim Brown, Ruth, and Young would have done the same.

Hope troll boy gets the hint after I deleted all his dissing of the Greatest Ever. Go piss elsewhere, Steeler flamer.

And if you want to go "Modern Era" Franco Harris was the biggest sissy running back ever- never saw a sideline he didn't love. Bradshaw wouldn't have won all those Super Bowls, because by today's standards he would have been concussed out of the league after three years or so.

BTW, you only can compare same time frame to same time frame. FWIW, if Jim Brown had done a Jerry Rice, and played until he couldn't play anymore, he'd still hold the all-time rushing record. He had the record beat by 5,000 yards when he retired at 29 and he easily could have played another 6-8 years, if not 10.To compare apples to apples, if it was so damn easy to put up big rushing numbers in the 60s, want me to post the stats for those Steeler Stalwarts John Henry Johnson and Dick Hoak?

So by your flawed logic, we have to say Jessie Owens sucked big time too- because all his records in the 1936 Olympics have been surpassed by HIGH SCHOOL kids. I could extend the same logic to MLB and say Babe Ruth was a fat pig who couldn't have hit .200 today, and Cy Young would have struggled to win 100 games. It's just nuts to think Owens couldn't have significantly shaved time off those world records if he had been able to avail himself to 2010 training methods- Jim Brown, Ruth, and Young would have done the same.

Kudos, except that buffoon has no clue about John Henry Johnson ( a great running back nobody now heard of) and Dick Hoak (forget that)............bottom..............line

Jim Brown was an out of body experience at the time...................and even now.............too bad like the Babe some people never get it is what it is!!!!!

Jim Brown did weigh about 40lbs more then the linebackers he faced...

If you took Jim Brown and stuck him in a time machine and warped him onto the playing field today... well he would make an NFL Team, but on most teams he might not even be the starter.

The guy was blessed with great size, speed and strength for his time, but now we have linebackers weighing almost 280lbs and DLinemen coming in from 330-350. He would need some good PEDs to compete, but all of these players take PEDs regardless...

How about comparing his height/weight/speed etc. with today's best running backs. He would still be bigger/faster/stronger than anyone playing today. And he would have 300+ pound linemen blocking for him, not the 240 pounders he had when he played. And he would have the benefit of today's nutrition and training methods. He would be the best there is today.

How about comparing his height/weight/speed etc. with today's best running backs. He would still be bigger/faster/stronger than anyone playing today. And he would have 300+ pound linemen blocking for him, not the 240 pounders he had when he played. And he would have the benefit of today's nutrition and training methods. He would be the best there is today.

I agree with a few things but the very last comment you clearly cannot make. You don't know how his play would translate to the modern game. I'm sure if you used the time machine method he'd be solid, but the greatest in the game? No way. He was far from shifty and ran through people. The best in the game today is Adrian Peterson and he's a combination of both. Brown would be solid but his style of game would not translate as well modern day as it did in his hey day. Period.

I agree with a few things but the very last comment you clearly cannot make. You don't know how his play would translate to the modern game. I'm sure if you used the time machine method he'd be solid, but the greatest in the game? No way. He was far from shifty and ran through people. The best in the game today is Adrian Peterson and he's a combination of both. Brown would be solid but his style of game would not translate as well modern day as it did in his hey day. Period.

Brown ran over and through people because he could. He had significant shiftiness when he needed it- like his one triple reverse running through an entire team for a touchdown. The guy's in the College Lacrosse HOF too. Yeah, impossible to say how Brown would translate to today's NFL- but OTOH, Brown compiled those records in 12 and 14 game seasons.

Even AP is not the best in the game. Did u see the fumbles he comited in the game against the saints ? People blame the final interception that FAvre threw as the big reason for the loss. IMHO AP is equally responsible with such fumbles.

If Jim Brown was sooooo good then why did Art Modell release him after only eight years?

If Jim Brown was soooo good then why wasn't any other team interested in him?

Art Modell also fired Paul Brown and you can see what Paul Brown accomplished in Cincinnati.

Hmmmmmmm????

Art Modell was also a backstabbing, conniving asshole, and very few people in the Cleveland area appreciate him. No matter what he may have done for the city itself, he still packed up the Browns and shipped them to Baltimore, and he'll never be forgiven for that.

And no other team was interested in JB because he was a figurehead of the black movement in American Football at a time when no other person would be.

So... what you're really doing is just furthering our hatred of Modell, and solidifying our love and respect for JB and PB. Thanks.

Even AP is not the best in the game. Did u see the fumbles he comited in the game against the saints ? People blame the final interception that FAvre threw as the big reason for the loss. IMHO AP is equally responsible with such fumbles.

A easily corrected problem. He's still the best in the game. A slew of great RB's in the league currently though but AD will fix the fumble problem.

A easily corrected problem. He's still the best in the game. A slew of great RB's in the league currently though but AD will fix the fumble problem.

If it is so easy to fix how come he hasn't fixed it . Maybe he's just to busy . :lol:

but AD will fix the fumble problem.

First, THANK YOU for being the one guy with enough attention to detail to know that Adrian Peterson's nickname is actually "AD" which stands for "All Day" and not "AP".

While I think he can fix the fumble problem he'd better do so soon because it's very easy to be labeled a fumbler for your career.

If Jim Brown was sooooo good then why did Art Modell release him after only eight years?

If Jim Brown was soooo good then why wasn't any other team interested in him?

Art Modell also fired Paul Brown and you can see what Paul Brown accomplished in Cincinnati.

Hmmmmmmm????

First off troll, you're showing your total ignorance of the JB situation. Modell didn't release Brown, in fact he begged him to continue playing. FYI, Brown RETIRED. He left on his own terms, just like Barry Sanders.

And why may you ask. Couple of very good reasons- first off, Brown had absolutely nothing left to prove in the football world. He had the rushing record beat by close to double, and held the rushing record for touchdowns. When Brown retired his 12,000 yards rushing looked as unassailable as Jerry Rice's 208 career touchdowns does today. More importantly, the salary structure of the NFL was vastly different in the '60s than 2010. A little trivia for ya. Brown was the first player in NFL history to crack the $100,000 a year salary barrier- Modell may have been a traitor, but at least in Cleveland he wasn't cheap- oh BTW Artie's profligate ways eventually drove him out of NFL ownership- even with a $50 million bribe from Baltimore. (If you're interested, in inflation adjusted dollars, JB's 1963 salary works out to $700k, about 6 year vet minimum in today's NFL.) Pay was so crappy back then, a lot of NFL players had to take off-season jobs in the real world to make ends meet. I personally know a guy who was a marginal player for the Redskins in that time frame who was pulling down a whopping $4,000 a season. Even at $100k a year, Brown correctly surmised with his rep he could head to Hollywood and make movies at double or triple that.

There wouldn't have been a team in the NFL that wouldn't have signed Brown to their roster in a heartbeat doofus- it was the other way around- Brown had no interest in playing anymore- at least not at what the NFL could pay him. And play he could have- Brown did not miss a game in his entire career, and only sat out a quarter or so when he broke his hand.

& Yeah, tell me what Paul Brown accomplished in Cincinnati- as a coach he had exactly as many Super Bowl appearances as the Browns.

Ah, apparently you never saw the guy play. I am old enough to have seen him play. Jim Brown was as "shifty" practically as Gale Sayers. He could run over you, through you, around you. He could fake you out and leave you grasping at air. He had hip dip moves, pirouette moves etc. Or he could run you over like a bulldozer, or carry three of you on his back.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. As good as Adrian Peterson is, he is a poor man's Jim Brown.

His game would transfer so well today that they would still say the same thing about him they said about Roy Hobbs: the best there ever was, the best there ever will be.

Period.

I would't waste my time explaining things to squeeler puke . All they try to do is spin it in their favor . Let them hang on to their ignorance .

My postings on a lot of these subjects are more meant to inform..or entertain the Browns fans and others (including forthright Steeler fans) who might really be interested in the subject rather than to explain things to ignorant assholes like this guy. He ALREADY knows he is wrong. He ALREADY knows he is being a dickhead. He says what he says purposely simply to be a contrarian, not because he believes what he says. Nevertheless, I have found that there are numerous younger Browns fans who may not know this stuff' who may actually wish to see a highlight reel of Jim Brown playing football or some such thing. What this turd is good for is simply to serve as a trigger to release the accurate data on these various subjects. (I am not talking about Robotron, but that other p.o.s.).

Archived