THE BROWNS BOARD

If RAC Knows He's Gone - Will He Even Play Younger Guys?

Flugel

In the other thread about Upgrades Needed - there were alot of really insightful replies that got me wondering. If RAC knows he's getting fired after the regular season, he's currently in a position where he doesn't feel he needs to see what Rucker, Beau Bell, and Gradkowski have. Because that becomes such a huge conflict of interest, I'm seriously wondering if it's time to pull the trigger on firing RAC and hiring Bill or Marty now. I wanted that other thread to stay focused on the player/position upgrades needed and I thought I can make this discussion about what to do with RAC if he does NOT start looking to younger guys the rest of our games.

I'm not even sure if our OC and DC are feeling any better about next year here in Cleveland since a new Head Coach brings a new philosophy to offense and defense. Then again, it might motivate Chud or Tucker to show innovation and what they could do without RAC's influence the remaining weeks. If Marty or Cowher like what they see - maybe they keep one of them here. If not, they at least got a chance to show what they can do, which is better than just getting fired without an assessment. Keep in mind, Chud has already worked for Marty and I think they enjoyed their working relationship. I think it's a given our STs Coach Ted Daisher will be retained.

I have this fear that if we wait too long on Cowher or Marty, someone else will get them. This may be getting a little fictional but we deserve to have some fun. What would you think of getting Linde Infante back here as OC? Just when we thought we completely lost all our football endorphins for 2008 - pleasant thoughts of bridging the 80s to today tell us otherwise.

- Tom F. (Dear Santa...)

I don't have a problem bringing Marty in today if that is who they decided they want as the HC next year. Why wait, make the changes, and get the players adjusted to the "new" guy. You would hope Marty would give Harrison, Bell, Rucker, Hall a chance to play.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. I'm guessing there's some contract stuff I'm not considering which may be preventing this. However, the last time we hired a Head Coach after Superbowl Sunday - it seemed like there were slim pickings for the asistants we needed to hire under the Head Coach.

- Tom F.

i agree that romeo needs to play the young guys, but that's a mandate that can be sent down from the top. either lerner or, i think, savage can tell him to do that.

and i could give two shits about keeping mel tucker happy. he's completely out of his element. the only way i'd have any interest in retaining him is as the DB coach that he'll be once the failed rac experiment is over.

They would have to undergo a process where they include the "rooney rule"...so that means it will take at least a few weeks. The only way around it is to hire WITHIN the club. Which, of course....we are not proposing.

I think they are doing their due diligence by bringing Marty in now. If he is not available or an option...they will start doing the interviews of the DC's/OC's and college coaches.

i agree that romeo needs to play the young guys, but that's a mandate that can be sent down from the top. either lerner or, i think, savage can tell him to do that.

and i could give two shits about keeping mel tucker happy. he's completely out of his element. the only way i'd have any interest in retaining him is as the DB coach that he'll be once the failed rac experiment is over.

And that's a good point - it's just that the reality of hiring ideal replacements for the current coordinators with 3 weeks remaining in the season isn't realistic so you gotta at least present like you're giving the current guys an opportunity to perform for keeping their jobs. And maybe Tucker has some ideas that RAC handcuffed along the way so it might be cool to see what he could do in RAC's absence. The reason I say hire Bill or Marty now is because they aren't currently under contract by another team for the 2008 season so they can come here right now.

- Tom F.

And that's a good point - it's just that the reality of hiring ideal replacements for the current coordinators with 3 weeks remaining in the season isn't realistic so you gotta at least present like you're giving the current guys an opportunity to perform for keeping their jobs. And maybe Tucker has some ideas that RAC handcuffed along the way so it might be cool to see what he could do in RAC's absence. The reason I say hire Bill or Marty now is because they aren't currently under contract by another team for the 2008 season so they can come here right now.

- Tom F.

as much as i would like a change now, there's no way any coach could come in and command a team's respect with three weeks to go in the season.

guiding a team is based on trust and respect, and one can only achieve that by working with the players. also, the coach would have to learn the offense and D that the team is running, and there's no way to do that and have a functional week of practice.

i'd love to think that tucker's been handcuffed by rac, but i remember somewhere along the line watching a game and the announcers saying that no NFL HC calls his own defensive plays. while it doesn't mean that tucker's not limited somewhat, it does mean that he's the one making at least some of the bad defensive calls we've seen.

Seriously wondering? Tom, the time for seriously wondering was past 4 weeks ago. We've been in the territory of 'why the xxxx is he still here to 'coach' games' for the last few weeks.

He's not playing the young guys because he wants to be spiteful. I can't think of another business model where you know you are fired and the management knows they are firing you, yet still let you finish out the year. I suppose Savage could order him to play these guys, and if he refuses, that's a fireable offense; then Lerner wouldn't have to pay him. God knows, he doesn't deserve it.

Let's get on with it and fire this clown already. F-it, he can take his 'staff' with him, too; any one of the drunk fans in the stands could coach better than these guys.

Seriously wondering? Tom, the time for seriously wondering was past 4 weeks ago. We've been in the territory of 'why the xxxx is he still here to 'coach' games' for the last few weeks.

He's not playing the young guys because he wants to be spiteful. I can't think of another business model where you know you are fired and the management knows they are firing you, yet still let you finish out the year. I suppose Savage could order him to play these guys, and if he refuses, that's a fireable offense; then Lerner wouldn't have to pay him. God knows, he doesn't deserve it.

Let's get on with it and fire this clown already. F-it, he can take his 'staff' with him, too; any one of the drunk fans in the stands could coach better than these guys.

Good points Lem! Same with JD in the reply above yours.

Can't help but wondering if they'll play hard this weekend. I went to the game and felt like they played hard on both sides of the ball in the first half. It's just when we don't do anything with turnovers and then there's some adversity to overcome - we're all out of someone willing to try to throw the team on their back. It tells me NOONE wants to get hurt, there's no more wind for our sails and they can't wait for offseason's brighter pastures. I STILL think this team will play hard if they get a lead on an opponent. It's just when adversity strikes and 1 guy sees another guy half-steppin - it gets contagious.

It was interesting to hear CB Vince Fuller say his coach tells them "you are what you put on film." This followed his comment that "Braylon Edwards is seen by all as a very talented receiver; BUT he will NOT go out of his way to catch the ball over the middle or in any place he feels he will take a hit." I found that interesting coming from those required to watch film of their upcoming opponent. I can definitely see that as a trust issue between BE and the QB so NOT having a reliable receiver opposite him has been brutal.

There's been some very good points presented in thread. We're probably better off firing the Head Coach asap. I think it worked out okay for San Francisco. Let Ted Daisher be the Interim Head Coach (pre-Marty or Billy-Ball) since his units look the best coached of any the last couple years.

- Tom F. (Start Gradkowski - he's got the BEST prefix on the team. I'm all about the prefix loddies and lassies)

The answer is no;

RAC was quoted in his presser something along the lines of, "if you have a young guy, you can do that, you can try to mix them in for a PLAY OR TWO"

this guy is truly an imbecile.

couple that with his "His package is growing larger each week" and you have a complete reject.

Good points Lem! Same with JD in the reply above yours.

Can't help but wondering if they'll play hard this weekend. I went to the game and felt like they played hard on both sides of the ball in the first half. It's just when we don't do anything with turnovers and then there's some adversity to overcome - we're all out of someone willing to try to throw the team on their back. It tells me NOONE wants to get hurt, there's no more wind for our sails and they can't wait for offseason's brighter pastures. I STILL think this team will play hard if they get a lead on an opponent. It's just when adversity strikes and 1 guy sees another guy half-steppin - it gets contagious.

It was interesting to hear CB Vince Fuller say his coach tells them "you are what you put on film." This followed his comment that "Braylon Edwards is seen by all as a very talented receiver; BUT he will NOT go out of his way to catch the ball over the middle or in any place he feels he will take a hit." I found that interesting coming from those required to watch film of their upcoming opponent. I can definitely see that as a trust issue between BE and the QB so NOT having a reliable receiver opposite him has been brutal.

There's been some very good points presented in thread. We're probably better off firing the Head Coach asap. I think it worked out okay for San Francisco. Let Ted Daisher be the Interim Head Coach (pre-Marty or Billy-Ball) since his units look the best coached of any the last couple years.

- Tom F. (Start Gradkowski - he's got the BEST prefix on the team. I'm all about the prefix loddies and lassies)

Scary comment about Edwards. If that's true (the statement 'you are what you put on film'), then we might as well get rid of him now while we can still get something for him. If he's afraid to take a hit, he's no good to us as a football player. It would be a shame, because the guy really does have a TON of talent, and seems like a good person (overall).

I don't think the team will play hard anymore this season. There's no point, and they know it. RAC isn't inspiring them or demanding it, and most of them have already made their bonuses or won't.

Monday night could be really ugly; I don't want the nation to see them quit, but I'm afraid that's what we're in for.

They would have to undergo a process where they include the "rooney rule"...so that means it will take at least a few weeks. The only way around it is to hire WITHIN the club. Which, of course....we are not proposing.

I think they are doing their due diligence by bringing Marty in now. If he is not available or an option...they will start doing the interviews of the DC's/OC's and college coaches.

I say xxxx the rooney rule and hire the right guy for the job...Lerner can write off the fine as a charitable gift to a needy program...

I say xxxx the rooney rule and hire the right guy for the job...Lerner can write off the fine as a charitable gift to a needy program...

We did more than interview RAC. We also kept him longer than we should have so we should be fine with the Rooney rule.

- Tom F.

He should have been gone a month ago. This is just another sign of an inept organization. All we're doing is spinning our wheels with a lame duck who is only trying to save his job somehow. The way he tries to do that is keep playing the same old vets he always has like Davis.

The guy wouldn't play rooks unless he was forced to when they sucked before, what makes people think he would possibly play them now on the way out?

We also need someone to tell Lewis to go screw himself, I'm really tired of that guy. We lost all kinds of info on what Harrison can do by placating Lewis and his carries all year. I'm getting irritated again, I need to stop.

We did more than interview RAC. We also kept him longer than we should have so we should be fine with the Rooney rule.

- Tom F.

I don't think it allows for any exceptions. It's an insane rule in a situation like this where we already KNOW what we want; it's insulting and a waste of everyone's time and money for any coach (whatever skin color) to interview for a job that both they and the interviewer no they have no chance of getting.

In these tough economic times of the NFL laying people off from their offices, you'd think they would be concerned about everyone being able to save a buck. You'd also think it would sort of be proven unnecessary, what with the results of the recent elections and all.

I don't think it allows for any exceptions. It's an insane rule in a situation like this where we already KNOW what we want; it's insulting and a waste of everyone's time and money for any coach (whatever skin color) to interview for a job that both they and the interviewer no they have no chance of getting.

In these tough economic times of the NFL laying people off from their offices, you'd think they would be concerned about everyone being able to save a buck. You'd also think it would sort of be proven unnecessary, what with the results of the recent elections and all.

My office just laid off a sizable percentage of people just 2 weeks before Christmas and then I gotta hear about the FREAKIN NY Yankees and their new stadium and WHO they're signing for whatever ridiculous salary. When you see GOOD employees that don't bother anyone and work hard every day losing their jobs - it's sad. I don't think the QUALITY of the NFL player today is any better today than it was in the 80s. In fact, I'd trade our entire defense for the one we had in the 80s. Those guys knew how to tackle people EVERY week, not just when we played 1 team worth getting up for.

It's even MORE sad that gotta hear about BRATS like Terrell Owens and Plexico Burress after they got new contracts at the equivalent of 3 lottery winnings a apiece. I'd rather HEAR about the GOOD people in the NFL like Warrick Dunn who has heped countless low income families with downpayments on new homes. You'd be surprised how much MORE interesting that is to the average sweats like myself.

How limpwristed is the latest TO rant about WHO his QB prefers? Is it any wonder why TO's team rarely win games he dresses for in post seasons? The Eagles won BOTH playoff games he didn't dress for and lost the Superbowl he dressed for. LOVE that! What's this the 3rd straight QB on a TO team that he's calling out? That guy's a staff infection that's incurable. Who's his agent? The same guy in charge of Burress. Gee, there's a surprise!

- Tom F.

This article seems to answer our question:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/36032934.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/.

BEREA: Browns coach Romeo Crennel is turning a deaf ear to those clamoring for playing time for the Browns' rookies, especially tight end Martin Rucker.

Playing in just two games this season and catching one pass for 9 yards, Rucker was expected to get his chance after Kellen Winslow suffered a high ankle sprain against Indianapolis Nov. 30. While he was active last week at Tennessee, Rucker was used only on special teams.

In a draft-day trade with Dallas, the Browns gave up their third-round draft choice in 2009 to obtain the fourth-round pick to select Rucker. At that time, he was thought to be an insurance policy in case Winslow held out of training camp after asking for a new contract in February.

''Rucker has a lot of potential,'' Winslow said Thursday. ''He's got a long way to go, just knowledge of the game, speed of the game, knowing when to run his routes off what coverage, that sort of thing. But he's going to get there. I think he's going to be a good player.''

Rucker set the school record at Missouri with 203 career receptions and totaled 2,175 yards and 18 touchdowns. His 84 catches in 2007 broke the season record for tight ends. He shattered most of the school marks set by Winslow's father, Kellen Sr.

Winslow Jr. said he had an easier transition to the NFL playing in a pro-style offense at the University of Miami than Rucker did coming out of Missouri.

''I think Rucker was in an empty-set kind of offense,'' Winslow said. ''He had 90 catches or something, I would love that. And he was getting handoffs from the quarterback and running it. That's pretty special. He's ahead of the curve in the passing game, so that helps.''

The embattled Crennel has been adamant that winning is foremost in his mind. Although he didn't say it, he won't play youngsters just so the next regime can get a look at them.

Both Rucker and linebacker Beau Bell, another fourth-round pick, had arthroscopic knee surgery in the preseason that set them back. But Crennel's assessment of Rucker was less than glowing Thursday and he said Rucker remains No. 3 behind Steve Heiden and Darnell Dinkins.

''He's been picking up the system. The opportunities he's gotten in practice he's embraced those and tried to get some things done,'' Crennel said of Rucker. ''The strong part of his game is his ability to catch the ball and find the open spots in the zones. He's looked good doing that. He still needs to work on some things.''

After the Colts game, Crennel said Rucker needed to ''show that he belongs and that he knows what to do. There was one play that he went out there and we had a problem with the formation and we had to use a timeout.''

This article seems to answer our question:

The embattled Crennel has been adamant that winning is foremost in his mind. Although he didn't say it, he won't play youngsters just so the next regime can get a look at them.

Both Rucker and linebacker Beau Bell, another fourth-round pick, had arthroscopic knee surgery in the preseason that set them back. But Crennel's assessment of Rucker was less than glowing Thursday and he said Rucker remains No. 3 behind Steve Heiden and Darnell Dinkins.

Thanks for sharing the article with our answers Scubad!

RAC acts like he's still in NE where there's BETTER alternatives to inexperience. It's not like RAC's preferences are going out and winning us ballgames in the meantime.

The best part of every nightmare is waking up.

- Tom F.

After the Colts game, Crennel said Rucker needed to ''show that he belongs and that he knows what to do. There was one play that he went out there and we had a problem with the formation and we had to use a timeout.''

See..THIS is the kind of shit that xxxxin' pisses me off. RAC doesn't even give this guy a chance because he lined up wrong on ONE formation.

Meanwhile, Edwards, Winslow, and DA, all of whom are in their 4th years constantly line up wrong, make dumb penalties, and don't know the plays being called yet continue to start.

WTF?

No RAC isn't a nice man. He's a dickhead AND a dumbass. Go xxxx yourself Romeo A Crennel. This clown should be fired right f'in NOW.

See..THIS is the kind of shit that xxxxin' pisses me off. RAC doesn't even give this guy a chance because he lined up wrong on ONE formation.

Meanwhile, Edwards, Winslow, and DA, all of whom are in their 4th years constantly line up wrong, make dumb penalties, and don't know the plays being called yet continue to start.

WTF?

No RAC isn't a nice man. He's a dickhead AND a dumbass. Go xxxx yourself Romeo A Crennel. This clown should be fired right f'in NOW.

I HEAR ya bud! What about the Cincy game when #99 and #93 combined for 5 offsides penalties? How many years have they been at this? RAC doesn't seem very consistent with his APPLICATION of goofey principles. How many times have we had offensive gains called back because one of our VETS didn't lineup on the line of scrimmage making the formation illegal by rule? Countless times so no wonder why this team views him as a dummy. They're not playing hard for the guy the second there's 1 ounce of adversity. There might be a couple guys here and there but that's it.

- Tom F.

WTF?

Now, given RAC's philosophy on why we don't play Rucker (costing us a TO), can we get him to bench himself considering he's burned more TOs than Dumb Ass?

Now, given RAC's philosophy on why we don't play Rucker (costing us a TO), can we get him to bench himself considering he's burned more TOs than Dumb Ass?

LOL! You just RAC'd up some serious style points Tobalaz.

Usually when DA called time out to go have a meeting with the minds on the sidelines - the next play looked like an ad for Summer School. I heard we kept Dorsey around just to yell "be careful" as timeout sessions were ending. I've slept so much better all season with first hand knowledge of that.

- Tom F.

LOL! You just RAC'd up some serious style points Tobalaz.

Usually when DA called time out to go have a meeting with the minds on the sidelines - the next play looked like an ad for Summer School. I heard we kept Dorsey around just to yell "be careful" as timeout sessions were ending. I've slept so much better all season with first hand knowledge of that.

- Tom F.

Man, I look back at this season and wonder how did we get here from there. Thinks were SO promising and now this, and it's not even that we didn't perform as well as expected; this is a total self-destruction. I just don't understand how it could have happened.

*sigh*. At least the playoffs and Bowl Season are in front of us.

Damn Lemosley and Flugel... you guys are getting me heated here... I think I officially HATE RAC now...

LOL! When you really think about it - his stay here wasn't ANY different than BB's stay here. Same stubborn dude with 1 winning season mixed in with 3 completely forgettable seasons. It's not like BB had crummy coaches here when you think of Kirk Ferentz heading up the oline and Nick Saban heading up the defense. BB and RAC show me that football is all about timing and chemistry. Cleveland wasn't their time or chemistry.

I remembered one game we were getting clobbered really bad late in the 4th quarter and BB went for a field goal to some thunderous boos. Guy looked like a complete moron. He thought Keenan McCardell was a blocker instead of a receiver so the NEXT team (Jax) got to discover his talents in the passing game. He drafted Derrick Alexander just to show that every Parcells' pupil had to draft a player for his doghouse with a vacancy sign on it. Yay!

When you got an LT on your team - you can do shit like that. When you NEED an LT and just plain talent in general - you can't go pretending you're STILL at the home of a Superbowl Champion. RAC thinks he's still in NE for some reason - I never saw the same Tom Brady in DA that he did. A QB like that gives you a comfortable margin of error vrs a QB that throws 3 INTs for TDs vrs Baltimore in 2 games.

Furthermore, when RAC's telling younger guys we can't play you because your inexperience will hurt us - what do these players think of him when they see vets dropping numerous passes (starting as early as Northcutt), consistently lining up wrong, repeated false starts and offsides? Credibility shotso! We pretend the dropped passes started with Braylon Edwards but Northcutt and Antonio Bryant dropped countless passes when it was time to pretend Edwards' inexperience could hurt us. Even though he had a staff infection, they still waited WAY too long to get him reps. His role models via RAC? Veterans that dropped too many passes right? Is it any wonder why a highly talented kid gets stripped of his previous talent in our system? Was his training any different than telling our younger LBers they need to learn from Andra Davis? Screw that!

I remember Jimmy Johnson fired a RB in Dallas because he fumbled. JJ didn't wait around to see if that was going to repeat itself because he understood this was PRO football. He didn't sit there and reassure himself "I can coach this kid to be the ultimate professional." He cut his ass and gained a professional that could help his other professionals. That said, if Emmitt Smith could put points on a scoreboard as a rookie and Troy Aikman was drafted to be their future - they didn't play OTHER guys instead. JJ was willing to go 1-15 if it meant committing to his plan and rationalizing Rookie QB over Steve Walsh. He took alot of heat for that back when it unfolded. But JJ was the RIGHT guy so they progressed every year until they counted SB rings on their fingers. Unfortunately, we never did this with BQ all because DA had 3 winless starts to his name in 06. We've never given Harrison a fair shake all because we gave Lewis a contract extension off of a season he showed up 15-20 pounds lighter. Trouble is AFTER the extension we got the guy that Baltimore grew tired of along with the 20 pounds he gained back. This year his football body was old, tired and uninspired. After 60 minutes of tiptoeing between door #1, door #2 and door #3 every play - he calls out the OC for NOT committing more to him in the running game. Here's a concept Jamal, BREAK one for 6 points so we're motivated to see more of your act. This is what I mean by chemistry. It's not there with Head Coach and players and it's certainly not there with Head coach and GM. His window has slammed shut.

- Tom F. (Maybe we just need to find out WHAT PRAYERS Tim Tebow says that gets God to choose sides on game day. I'm only kidding so don't get all soccer mom on me)

Archived