THE BROWNS BOARD

A break down of the Browns AFCN rivals

SJ_Browns

http://cle.scout.com/2/982143.html

BALTIMORE RAVENS

The Ravens added two veterans during their break leading up to training camp, signing backup quarterback Marc Bulger and safety Ken Hamlin.

Both are considered insurance policies. Bulger gives Baltimore an experienced backup if Joe Flacco gets injured, and Hamlin is a good "safety" net if Pro Bowl defensive back Ed Reed is slow to recover from hip surgery.

The acquisition of Bulger, 33, is an indication that the Ravens are not confident in either Troy Smith or John Beck as Flacco's backup. If the Ravens try to shop Smith, they can't expect more than a sixth-round pick for him.

Bulger took over as a starter for an injured Kurt Warner in 2003, led the Rams to a 12-4 record and was named that season to the Pro Bowl. He was a Pro Bowl reserve in 2006, when he passed for more than 4,000 yards and threw 24 touchdown passes, with eight interceptions.

He has not played well the past three seasons, hampered by injuries and a porous offensive line, throwing more interceptions (34) than touchdown passes (27).

In 2009, Bulger played in only nine games, starting eight, and threw for five touchdowns and six interceptions before he was placed on injured reserve in late December. He was released in April after the Rams used the first overall pick on Sam Bradford.

Like Bulger, Hamlin, 29, is a solid backup plan. The Ravens are unsure of the recovery timetable for Reed, who isn't expected to be ready for training camp after having a hip procedure last month.

Known as a hard hitter and "a quarterback in the secondary", Hamlin impressed the Ravens in a recent tryout, which came two months after he was released by the Dallas Cowboys.

"It's definitely a good opportunity for me to go to an organization and a defense and a team that Baltimore has," Hamlin told The Baltimore Sun. "I'm blessed to be a part of it. I'm glad that the organization looked at me as an option to play on the team. I'm just happy."

Before Hamlin, the Ravens' only option to replace Reed was Tom Zbikowski, who looked solid in four starts last season. But one of Hamlin's greatest assets is being a leader in the secondary. According to the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys coaches liked his ability to communicate and line up everybody in the defensive backfield.

The addition of Hamlin also gives experienced depth to a safety position that is banged up with Reed and backup Haruki Nakamura (ankle). Reed, who is recovering in Colorado, is expected to miss the start of training camp at the very least. The only healthy veterans there are Zbikowski and Dawan Landry.

A seven-year starter with the Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks, Hamlin said the Ravens haven't told him about his role on the team.

"Right now, my role is to learn as much as possible," he said. "We'll see where they want me and how they're going to use me from there. I've got a lot of catching up to do because a lot of those guys have been on that defense for a while. They're comfortable with it, and I have to make sure I'm comfortable with it as well."

CINCINNATI BENGALS

At least on one level, it's beginning to look a lot like 2006 again for the Cincinnati Bengals, which in this case would not be a good thing.

With Cedric Benson's arrest in Austin, Texas, on Tuesday, when he was charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly punching a bar employee in the face on May 30, the Bengals have had three players arrested this offseason.

On Jan. 29, Rey Maualuga was charged with DUI in Covington and on May 4 Maurice Purify was charged with disorderly conduct in Newport. Add that on top of the signings of cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones and receiver Matt Jones, who had a history of off-field problems and many fans are wondering if this will ever end. In a 16-month period from December of 2005 to March of 2007, the Bengals had 15 arrests.

Of Benson's incident assistant public relations director P.J. Combs said the team is aware of the incident.

"However, as with most situations of this nature, it would be inappropriate for the team to comment until the matter is resolved through normal legal channels," Combs said.

Benson's attorney, David Cornwell, said that Benson called coach Marvin Lewis and the commissioner's office about the incident. If found guilty, he could face up to $4,000 in fines and up to a year in jail.

The bigger question on the field is if Benson will be suspended. He is subject to disciplinary action under the NFL's personal conduct policy even if he is found not guilty. In 2008 while with the Chicago Bears, Benson was arrested twice over a one-month span on alcohol charges that eventually were dropped.

Judging by commissioner Roger Goodell's recent comments though about Tennessee quarterback Vince Young, who also was recently involved in a club scuffle, it looks as if Benson could avoid a suspension since it appears that Goodell will not take action against Young.

In the event Benson is suspended, Cedric Peerman's chances of making the roster will get a lot better. He has a short, thick build that can handle running between the tackles as well as that speed to put it in another gear once getting into the open field. The roster currently shows five backs vying for three spots with Benson, Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard the overwhelming favorites. College free agent Cordera Eason is a longshot.

This also could not come at a worse time for Benson, who is in the final season of a two-year contract with the Bengals and could earn as much as $4 million this season. The two sides have been in talks about a possible three-year extension under which Benson could earn $16-$20 million.

Benson, who until now had had no problems since signing with the Bengals four games into the 2008 season, has said he would like to remain with the team. Last season, he led the Bengals in rushing with a career-high 1,251 yards and set a team single-season record with seven games of 100 yards or more. In 24 career games with Cincinnati, Benson has totaled 2,167 yards and nine touchdowns rushing.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

The offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers has proven to be more dangerous than anything that occurs in the fall. Two more Steelers were knocked out with injuries, joining a growing list.

Willie Colon, considered by Steelers coaches to be one of the best right tackles in the league, had surgery Wednesday to repair a torn Achilles tendon that was injured during agility training. Rookie offensive tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round draft choice from Tennessee, had surgery Wednesday to repair a broken foot, injured while he was working out at his alma mater.

Colon will go on injured reserve for the 2010 season while Scott could be placed on the PUP list because he should heal by October.

Colon is the second player to be lost for the season with a torn Achilles. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft choice in 2008, went on injured reserve after his injury on the final day of minicamp May 2.

The injuries add to the team's offseason losses on offense that includes a 4-6 suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to start the season. The Steelers virtually gave away their top receiver, Santonio Holmes, in a trade to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. Coincidentally that pick, No. 151, is the one the Steelers used to draft Chris Scott.

And they also lost their top running back from 2005 through 2008 when they did not try to re-sign Willie Parker, who signed with Washington as an unrestricted free agent.

The question they now face is how to replace Colon at right tackle, where he has started the past three seasons. Max Starks, supplanted by Colon in 2007 after starting at right tackle the previous two seasons, has since become their starting left tackle. They took a look at Flozell Adams this week but are not likely to sign him. One player they signed as a UFA that took little notice at the time could move into the job, Jonathan Scott, a four-year veteran who played in Buffalo where he was coached by new Steelers line coach, Sean Kugler. Scott is 6-6, 318.

Other candidates are Trai Essex, who began his career as a tackle but became their starting right guard last season; Ramon Foster, an undrafted rookie in 2009 who played tackle at Tennessee but mostly guard with the Steelers, and Tony Hills, who has been largely a disappointment since the Steelers drafted him on the fourth round in 2008.

There also have been suggestions that they could move rookie Maurkice Pouncey, their No. 1 draft pick, to right tackle this season, but that is unlikely. Pouncey is their center of the future and they used him primarily at right guard this spring with the eye that he can play that position for one year before sliding over to center.

Colon was considered a good run-blocker but with his short arms not a great pass protector. He flourished when the new coaching staff arrived in 2007. That staff took a dim view of Starks and promoted Colon in his place.

The Steelers' offensive line has not been a good one over the past two seasons, even though the team won a Super Bowl two years ago. Their quarterback gets sacked way too often (Roethlisberger was dumped 50 times last season) and their running game has faltered, slipping to No. 19 last season. Not all of that is the line's fault, but none also is a Pro Bowl candidate

I don't know if any team had a worse off-season than the Steelers. Big Ben out for at least 25% of the season, Holmes in trouble and traded away, and then Colon goes down to deplete an already shaky offensive line. But if their defense is healthy, unlike last year, they still have LeBeau to turn some things loose. If they stay healthy on D, and can rejuvenate the running game, they can be in the mix. But that means everything has to go right for them.

Cincinnati has never scared me. I think the Browns match up great with them, especially now that we have some guys in our secondary that can add a little physicality. Palmer seems to have lost that magic he had in lighting up opposing defenses. I'm still trying to figure out how they went 6-0 in the division last year. They won't do that this year and I don't think they will beat the Ravens at all. Their defense is pretty underrated, but they still don't have that dominant pass rusher. Their strength on D is in the speed of their back 7: Hall, Ndukwe, and Maualauga are all good young players who can get to the football. Still, with Benson being a question mark they might hover around the .500 mark this year, too.

That brings me to the Ravens. They were my Super Bowl pick last year and they are again this year. They just don't seem to get old on defense even though it seems like half their current D was on that SB winner in 2000. I know that's not true, but it seems like it. Speed all over the field on D, and their offense just added Anquan Boldin. Add that to a very, very good running game and this is a team that I believe could win 13 games this year. How do you beat them? Two ways: Win on first down on both sides of the ball and take advantage of their aggressive nature on D. Teams must be in manageable situations on offense against them or they will just eat you alive. On defense, Flacco still has yet to consistently prove that he can be clutch when needed. To attack their aggressiveness, you need to take some shots downfield as well as utilize some screens and misdirection plays. I think the Browns' WildDawg formation could work against this club if mixed in at the right times. Still, this is the clear favorite in the division.

After it's all said and done, I expect the Browns to win 3 games in the division. I don't expect them to beat Baltimore, but I think they have a very good shot in all the other games against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

I too feel and expect the Browns to win at least 3 division games this year. I think we'll be hard pressed to beat the Ravens, as will any of our other division foes, as they seem to be the early favorite. While Pittsburgh seems to have fallen on hard times with their issues with Big Ben, and some injuries, as well as the loss of Santonio Holmes, you can't count them out. They are tough to beat at home, and they will have Polamalu back this year. The guy is a beast, and is everywhere on the field. I do expect us to take at least one from them. We have gotten that monkey off of our back, and Mangini has shown in the past that he can beat them. The Bungals, are still the Bungals. How they went 6-0 in the division only to tank in the end is beyond me. They can't seem to get out of their own way as another one of their players has gotten into legal trouble.

I'm excited to see this new wild cat package that the Browns plan on implementing, and I hope they don't show too much of it in the preseason.

if we can beat the ravens on the day after xmas in cleveland, it will be bigger than any other victory this season. it will demonstrate that mangini has successfully built a cold-weather football team and it will demonstrate that the browns are for real and moving in the right direction.

other than that, there is a strong possibility that we could take 2 from the steelers this year but i'm not holding my breath. the division is weakened at the moment and now is the browns time to strike.

great comments, guys!

i agree with pretty much all that i've read so far in this thread. i think the bungals are the bungals and palmer isn't the elite qb he used to be. i'm not sure about their d, i need to see some consistency from them. i still think maualuga (sp?) is overrated. plus he got into trouble again in the offseason.

pittsburgh has had some reall issues hit them this off-season and i don't remember them facing this much adversity. we'll see if they crumble or rise to the occasion. there are no guarantees that they'll be okay and the level of competition could very well be going up in the afcn. that would definitely spell trouble for the steelers if their issues come back to haunt them.

the ravens seem to be strong on d. their offense looks to be improved, but i'm not sold on flacco yet. i can see defenses coming at him more this year to try and rattle him. we'll see what he's about and if he can maintain success as a qb.

if the browns, under holmgren's heroes, are the real deal they will definitely have an affect on the rest of the afcn. it's going to be fun watching the outcome of this whole situation.

Honestly pretty poor write up all around. Anyone with any sort of football savvy could have provided a similar preseason break down. It should also be noted that Pittsburgh passed a hell of a lot more than we ran the ball. Mendenhall had 242 attempts and Parker had 98. Big Ben on the other hand through the ball 506 times. The Pittsburgh run game will be inside the top 10 this year and a focal point of the offense. We'll still throw the ball but you can bet your ass it will a much more balanced attack. We still finished second in the division last year with the string of losses. All of which falls on deaf ears. Pittsburgh will be a 10 plus win team this season. Write it down.

Honestly pretty poor write up all around. Anyone with any sort of football savvy could have provided a similar preseason break down. It should also be noted that Pittsburgh passed a hell of a lot more than we ran the ball. Mendenhall had 242 attempts and Parker had 98. Big Ben on the other hand through the ball 506 times. The Pittsburgh run game will be inside the top 10 this year and a focal point of the offense. We'll still throw the ball but you can bet your ass it will a much more balanced attack. We still finished second in the division last year with the string of losses. All of which falls on deaf ears. Pittsburgh will be a 10 plus win team this season. Write it down.

I found that rather odd that they strayed from their usual style of pounding the ball. Not ruling the Steelers out of anything, as they still have to play 8 games at home, and I don't care who it is that goes in there. It's tough for anyone to win at Heinz Field.

I found that rather odd that they strayed from their usual style of pounding the ball. Not ruling the Steelers out of anything, as they still have to play 8 games at home, and I don't care who it is that goes in there. It's tough for anyone to win at Heinz Field.

Defensive breakdowns and poor special teams play forced the Steelers to throw more late in the game. Rather than protecting the lead they were losing the lead and fighting back in the 4th quarter. The defense really was pedestrian for a good number of games last year. It will be worlds better this year with guys returning healthy and bringing back Foote for depth and McFadden for either a starting spot or top tier depth. The Rooney's want the ball run more and apparently wanted Arians gone. Tomlin protected Arians and stuck his neck out. The ball will be run more this season.

If it is poor it is because it seemed to concentrate on what I would call "peripheral issues", focusing on a couple of backup players for the Ravens, the Bengals off field issues, and the Steeler's injuries. It did not give a full analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of each team or of specific units on a given team.

(and no, the Steelers were not second in the division. Both Bengals and Ravens made playoffs. They don't send a third place team to the playoffs over a second place team in this league)

Robo... Not so certain as You that we can become a running force at this Point. While I like Mendy and Dwyers Potential... The O Line and Lack of a FB doesn't excite me. We are a Pass First Team , with a Pass First O.C. Minus am All Pro Caliber QB (Due to his elongated Childhood). I cant Buy PIE in the SKY projections. While I dont think we are doomed. THIS is a Big Challenge a... BIG Challenge. The Division is better and we are not (at least on paper). Rise up or a tough year is ahead.

I see the Rooney's as God when it comes to football and when Dan said, at the end of last season, that the Steelers would be returning to a run focus, I expect to see it...........that is if Ariens (the worst OC in the NFL) can make it work.

But do you guys think you can run the ball effectively enough, especially now with Colon out for the year? Saying you're going to run the ball well, and doing it are entirely two different things. Especially in this division. Cincy and Baltimore have two defenses that absolutely suffocate you on the ground.

I think Mendenhall is a very good NFL back, but he needs good blocking, obviously, and I don't think he can carry the rock over 300 times without it wearing on him. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do when Big Ben returns. With an early schedule that's not too challenging and Ben out, it won't be a surprise if they're handing it off a lot. But when Ben comes back and the schedule toughens up (NYJ, NE, NO, etc.) will Arians go back to what he loves to do?

But do you guys think you can run the ball effectively enough, especially now with Colon out for the year? Saying you're going to run the ball well, and doing it are entirely two different things. Especially in this division. Cincy and Baltimore have two defenses that absolutely suffocate you on the ground.

I think Mendenhall is a very good NFL back, but he needs good blocking, obviously, and I don't think he can carry the rock over 300 times without it wearing on him. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do when Big Ben returns. With an early schedule that's not too challenging and Ben out, it won't be a surprise if they're handing it off a lot. But when Ben comes back and the schedule toughens up (NYJ, NE, NO, etc.) will Arians go back to what he loves to do?

Currently there are two camps within the Steeler fan base. Those that are not and were not impressed by Colon and those that think his departure is a enormous loss. I subscribe to the former and think Colon is solid but he's not irreplaceable. We have more than a few guys that should be able to step right in and play at or at least close to the level of Colon. I could be wrong and the season will tell the true story but for now I still expect the run game to get rolling. Trai Essex or Ramon Foster should be able to step out there no problem and they can play Pouncey at RG. We also have a nice stable of backs in Mendenhall, Moore and Dwyer. The key no matter how you shake it is going to be the defense which I feel will be vastly improved. Super Bowl good. Only time will tell but I'm optimistic and the Rooney's don't f.uck around. I think Arians knows he nearly lost his job because of the Rooney stance.

In addition to this and a complete aside do you think Goodell was the one behind the 4-6 game suspension for Ben? Absolutely not. I think if the Rooney's took a backseat to the process Ben may not have been suspended at all. They wanted Ben suspended and is the only reason he got the 4-6. The first player in league history to catch a suspension of that severity without being charged. The Rooney's wanted to send a message and teach a lesson and it could very well save the franchise. The Rooney's carry a lot of weight all over the league. Arians will get steam rolled if he gets "crazy"

great job you internet journalists! who can do a story trying to break down our rivals in the afcn and not mention the addition of anquan boldin to the ravens? do yourself a favor and stick to writing fortune cookie sayings.

great job you internet journalists! who can do a story trying to break down our rivals in the afcn and not mention the addition of anquan boldin to the ravens? do yourself a favor and stick to writing fortune cookie sayings.

Lol I didn't even notice he wasn't mentioned. It's a terrible article.

Colon was serviceable and not much more, he improved last year but his body of work is average. One of the great things about the Steelers is the system.......the system makes it easier for someone to step in and play well.

Our WHOLE Line is Serviceable ... The Steelers need to Survive Ben being "Locked Out" by the Commish , Then hit the ground Running full stride. IF the Steelers can pull the Playoffs out of THIS season Tomlin deserves Coach of the Year status. Thats my opinion , And I am not a Doom and Gloom guy , just a realist. This season a tremendous challenge. I see why some have picked a 6 Win Season. I am hoping for 9 and a Lotta help to sneak in. But its all still a Long way off. We will see.

http://cle.scout.com/2/982143.html

BALTIMORE RAVENS

The Ravens added two veterans during their break leading up to training camp, signing backup quarterback Marc Bulger and safety Ken Hamlin.

Both are considered insurance policies. Bulger gives Baltimore an experienced backup if Joe Flacco gets injured, and Hamlin is a good "safety" net if Pro Bowl defensive back Ed Reed is slow to recover from hip surgery.

The acquisition of Bulger, 33, is an indication that the Ravens are not confident in either Troy Smith or John Beck as Flacco's backup. If the Ravens try to shop Smith, they can't expect more than a sixth-round pick for him.

Bulger took over as a starter for an injured Kurt Warner in 2003, led the Rams to a 12-4 record and was named that season to the Pro Bowl. He was a Pro Bowl reserve in 2006, when he passed for more than 4,000 yards and threw 24 touchdown passes, with eight interceptions.

He has not played well the past three seasons, hampered by injuries and a porous offensive line, throwing more interceptions (34) than touchdown passes (27).

In 2009, Bulger played in only nine games, starting eight, and threw for five touchdowns and six interceptions before he was placed on injured reserve in late December. He was released in April after the Rams used the first overall pick on Sam Bradford.

Like Bulger, Hamlin, 29, is a solid backup plan. The Ravens are unsure of the recovery timetable for Reed, who isn't expected to be ready for training camp after having a hip procedure last month.

Known as a hard hitter and "a quarterback in the secondary", Hamlin impressed the Ravens in a recent tryout, which came two months after he was released by the Dallas Cowboys.

"It's definitely a good opportunity for me to go to an organization and a defense and a team that Baltimore has," Hamlin told The Baltimore Sun. "I'm blessed to be a part of it. I'm glad that the organization looked at me as an option to play on the team. I'm just happy."

Before Hamlin, the Ravens' only option to replace Reed was Tom Zbikowski, who looked solid in four starts last season. But one of Hamlin's greatest assets is being a leader in the secondary. According to the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys coaches liked his ability to communicate and line up everybody in the defensive backfield.

The addition of Hamlin also gives experienced depth to a safety position that is banged up with Reed and backup Haruki Nakamura (ankle). Reed, who is recovering in Colorado, is expected to miss the start of training camp at the very least. The only healthy veterans there are Zbikowski and Dawan Landry.

A seven-year starter with the Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks, Hamlin said the Ravens haven't told him about his role on the team.

"Right now, my role is to learn as much as possible," he said. "We'll see where they want me and how they're going to use me from there. I've got a lot of catching up to do because a lot of those guys have been on that defense for a while. They're comfortable with it, and I have to make sure I'm comfortable with it as well."

CINCINNATI BENGALS

At least on one level, it's beginning to look a lot like 2006 again for the Cincinnati Bengals, which in this case would not be a good thing.

With Cedric Benson's arrest in Austin, Texas, on Tuesday, when he was charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly punching a bar employee in the face on May 30, the Bengals have had three players arrested this offseason.

On Jan. 29, Rey Maualuga was charged with DUI in Covington and on May 4 Maurice Purify was charged with disorderly conduct in Newport. Add that on top of the signings of cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones and receiver Matt Jones, who had a history of off-field problems and many fans are wondering if this will ever end. In a 16-month period from December of 2005 to March of 2007, the Bengals had 15 arrests.

Of Benson's incident assistant public relations director P.J. Combs said the team is aware of the incident.

"However, as with most situations of this nature, it would be inappropriate for the team to comment until the matter is resolved through normal legal channels," Combs said.

Benson's attorney, David Cornwell, said that Benson called coach Marvin Lewis and the commissioner's office about the incident. If found guilty, he could face up to $4,000 in fines and up to a year in jail.

The bigger question on the field is if Benson will be suspended. He is subject to disciplinary action under the NFL's personal conduct policy even if he is found not guilty. In 2008 while with the Chicago Bears, Benson was arrested twice over a one-month span on alcohol charges that eventually were dropped.

Judging by commissioner Roger Goodell's recent comments though about Tennessee quarterback Vince Young, who also was recently involved in a club scuffle, it looks as if Benson could avoid a suspension since it appears that Goodell will not take action against Young.

In the event Benson is suspended, Cedric Peerman's chances of making the roster will get a lot better. He has a short, thick build that can handle running between the tackles as well as that speed to put it in another gear once getting into the open field. The roster currently shows five backs vying for three spots with Benson, Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard the overwhelming favorites. College free agent Cordera Eason is a longshot.

This also could not come at a worse time for Benson, who is in the final season of a two-year contract with the Bengals and could earn as much as $4 million this season. The two sides have been in talks about a possible three-year extension under which Benson could earn $16-$20 million.

Benson, who until now had had no problems since signing with the Bengals four games into the 2008 season, has said he would like to remain with the team. Last season, he led the Bengals in rushing with a career-high 1,251 yards and set a team single-season record with seven games of 100 yards or more. In 24 career games with Cincinnati, Benson has totaled 2,167 yards and nine touchdowns rushing.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

The offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers has proven to be more dangerous than anything that occurs in the fall. Two more Steelers were knocked out with injuries, joining a growing list.

Willie Colon, considered by Steelers coaches to be one of the best right tackles in the league, had surgery Wednesday to repair a torn Achilles tendon that was injured during agility training. Rookie offensive tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round draft choice from Tennessee, had surgery Wednesday to repair a broken foot, injured while he was working out at his alma mater.

Colon will go on injured reserve for the 2010 season while Scott could be placed on the PUP list because he should heal by October.

Colon is the second player to be lost for the season with a torn Achilles. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft choice in 2008, went on injured reserve after his injury on the final day of minicamp May 2.

The injuries add to the team's offseason losses on offense that includes a 4-6 suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to start the season. The Steelers virtually gave away their top receiver, Santonio Holmes, in a trade to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. Coincidentally that pick, No. 151, is the one the Steelers used to draft Chris Scott.

And they also lost their top running back from 2005 through 2008 when they did not try to re-sign Willie Parker, who signed with Washington as an unrestricted free agent.

The question they now face is how to replace Colon at right tackle, where he has started the past three seasons. Max Starks, supplanted by Colon in 2007 after starting at right tackle the previous two seasons, has since become their starting left tackle. They took a look at Flozell Adams this week but are not likely to sign him. One player they signed as a UFA that took little notice at the time could move into the job, Jonathan Scott, a four-year veteran who played in Buffalo where he was coached by new Steelers line coach, Sean Kugler. Scott is 6-6, 318.

Other candidates are Trai Essex, who began his career as a tackle but became their starting right guard last season; Ramon Foster, an undrafted rookie in 2009 who played tackle at Tennessee but mostly guard with the Steelers, and Tony Hills, who has been largely a disappointment since the Steelers drafted him on the fourth round in 2008.

There also have been suggestions that they could move rookie Maurkice Pouncey, their No. 1 draft pick, to right tackle this season, but that is unlikely. Pouncey is their center of the future and they used him primarily at right guard this spring with the eye that he can play that position for one year before sliding over to center.

Colon was considered a good run-blocker but with his short arms not a great pass protector. He flourished when the new coaching staff arrived in 2007. That staff took a dim view of Starks and promoted Colon in his place.

The Steelers' offensive line has not been a good one over the past two seasons, even though the team won a Super Bowl two years ago. Their quarterback gets sacked way too often (Roethlisberger was dumped 50 times last season) and their running game has faltered, slipping to No. 19 last season. Not all of that is the line's fault, but none also is a Pro Bowl candidate

Great post my only comment is signing Bulger was a ueseless move for the Ravens

• 2 weeks later...

Ed Reed could miss first six games of season

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 20, 2010 9:54 AM ET

The last time we heard from Ed Reed, he expressed concern that he could miss part of the regular season because of his hip surgery. The Baltimore Sun believes the absence could be substantial.

Jamison Hensley writes the "most likely scenario" surrounding Reed would be for him to be placed on the active/PUP list to open the season, which would knock him out of the first six games.

Keep in mind that this information was presented in a blog post about training camp, not as a breaking news story. There's a lot of time left before the regular season, and the Ravens will exhaust any chance to have Reed available at some point in September.

For now, there's serious doubt whether the best player in Baltimore's banged-up secondary will make it back to the field before that newsmaking quarterback over in Pittsburgh.

I have to say that's a pretty lame breakdown of the 2010 Bengals. All you mentioned was Benson's legal trouble. You said nothing of their new draft picks or their ramped up defense. FAIL.

Bungal fan? Half your team will be in jail by the time training camp ends. Get the hell out of here. Who dey gonna arrest next?

I have to say that's a pretty lame breakdown of the 2010 Bengals. All you mentioned was Benson's legal trouble. You said nothing of their new draft picks or their ramped up defense. FAIL.

dude, who the heck are you talking to? lol the person who wrote the article that i posted in the op isn't posting on this board. wow, get a clue.

Ok. My bad. One of you guys didn't write that. But "who dey gonna arrest next?" is pretty on par with that bad reporting. The only smack any of you can come up with about the Bengals is the criminal angle. Shaun Rogers is your criminal. See? Lots of teams have an idiot or two.

This team is 100 times better than the browns. Can any of you deny that? There's so much more going on in Cincy than an arrest or two. That was all I was really trying to say. Sheesh. Thats okay though. Come football season, your sorry excuse for a team will once again be the laughing stock of the free world. None of you can deny that.

Ok. My bad. One of you guys didn't write that. But "who dey gonna arrest next?" is pretty on par with that bad reporting. The only smack any of you can come up with about the Bengals is the criminal angle. Shaun Rogers is your criminal. See? Lots of teams have an idiot or two.

This team is 100 times better than the browns. Can any of you deny that? There's so much more going on in Cincy than an arrest or two. That was all I was really trying to say. Sheesh. Thats okay though. Come football season, your sorry excuse for a team will once again be the laughing stock of the free world. None of you can deny that.

Ewwww, watch out, the Big Bad Bungles just had their second winning season in 20 years and now they are going to flex their mighty superiority!

Shaun Rogers is no criminal ... your team is full of them.

Your wide receiver is a Drama Queen, your tailback is a slow dumbphuck of a human being, your stripes are gay, your fans are lame, and our team moved, left for three years, came back as a perpetually undermanned expansion team and STILL has won a playoff game more recently than the Bungles.

Zombo

Great post my only comment is signing Bulger was a ueseless move for the Ravens

If Flacco is injured it could suddenly become very useful. It is the kind of move (acquisition of older high priced backups) a team makes if they think they have an honest shot to win the division this year. Don't think so.

IMHO, Cincy probably not a factor. Off field problems usually hurt and distract a team but in Cincy they may be used to this kind of thing by now and prove me wrong.

Steelers, always a factor, losses of Holmes and Parker less significant than people think because PGH usually seems to know when to let someone go. Holmes was about to lose his job to Wallace and Parker lost his to Mendenhall. Rapistberger's absence and injuries to OL could keep them from division title. On the other hand if they play well in his absence and OL replacements gel, they are good enough to win the division or get WC berth. No way are they strong enough to run the division as they did a few years ago.

Browns have improved a lot on paper and could shock the crap out of people if on paper translates to on field. Division overall has a lot of question marks so this would seem to be the year that 9 or 10 wins could do it. I could see 9 or 10 wins for the Browns, depending on luck and injuries. I think the Browns are the unknown factor here.

zombo,

A team need not be big or bad to beat the lowly browns. We wont be unstoppable but pretty damn good. Furthermore, you'd sell your soul to the devil to get Ocho and Benson. Finally, uniform smack is pretty sad. I know you guys are just bummed because your entire economy is based on Lebron. I guess he finally got the memo that Cleveland is a sinking tanker ship spilling over with feces. Best move he ever made.

See you in the playoffs, oh wait... no I won't. Good luck with next years first overall pick! HA! HA! HA! HA!

love you, mean it.

zombo,

A team need not be big or bad to beat the lowly browns. We wont be unstoppable but pretty damn good. Furthermore, you'd sell your soul to the devil to get Ocho and Benson. Finally, uniform smack is pretty sad. I know you guys are just bummed because your entire economy is based on Lebron. I guess he finally got the memo that Cleveland is a sinking tanker ship spilling over with feces. Best move he ever made.

See you in the playoffs, oh wait... no I won't. Good luck with next years first overall pick! HA! HA! HA! HA!

love you, mean it.

This coming from someone from a city that might as well be part of the state of Kentucky! :lol: And your claim of Cleveland's economy solely based on Lebron could not be more further from the truth! And no we certainly don't want that drama queen Ocho Stinko. We already dumped ours last year, and he is now the Jets problem. Furthermore, who the hell is Benson? And remember this Bungle fan (how many of them are there, like 5)... if it weren't for Art Modell you wouldn't even have an NFL team in Cincitucky! So you can thank him for the creation of your team. In fact, he is the reason for 3 out of 4 teams in this division, because if it weren't for him, there would be no Ratbirds, or Bungles.

Modell knew the Browns were an abomination that needed to be bashed with a shovel. Too bad he didn't know that some turds just won't flush. Could one of you lovely blokes tell me what your overall record is since coming back from the dead? I bet it's pretty impressive. But hey, you do have a playoff win, which admittedly have been too scarce here in cincytucky. BTW, Kentucky is a pretty cool state. Louisville, Lexington, the Derby, Red River Gorge, Mammoth cave etc. You guys are just fishing for fodder at this point. I suppose you guys have to have something to type on these forums other than how good your sisters are in bed. ha ha, that was a cheap shot. All in good fun, so lighten up brownies.

Archived