THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Haden intends to be in training camp on time

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...pick_joe_1.html

CLEVELAND -- The agent for Browns No. 1 pick Joe Haden said he expects his cllient to be signed in time for the start of training camp later this month.

"We've been in contact with the Browns and expect to begin negotiating next week,'' said agent Malik Shareef. "Our main objective is to get Joe in camp on time so he can perform to the best of his abilities. A holdout would not be in anyone's best interests.''

Haden, the No. 7 overall pick out of Florida, worked with the first- and second-teams during organized team activities and minicamp. He will compete with Sheldon Brown for a starting spot opposite Eric Wright, but figures to play a key role in sub-defenses.

Rookies report to Berea the last week in July and veterans take the field on July 31st.

I know this sounds stupidly obvious but I am really really keen to know how Joe does in camp, I'm glad things seem to be showing us that he will participate in all of the camp. If Joe is the man they say he is (Ballpeen) then I think we will have a secondary depth that our team has been crying out for for years, what with the addition of Brown and our safety pick ups. I am hoping for a smack mouth D this season and Joe turning into the Interceptor. I'm salivating.

i'm with you, howie. i want to see how he does in tc, to. i read a few articles that said you can't really see what type of player he is in mini-camp (no contact). they said we'll get a better idea of his abilities in tc when they put the pads on and start hitting.

i'm with you, howie. i want to see how he does in tc, to. i read a few articles that said you can't really see what type of player he is in mini-camp (no contact). they said we'll get a better idea of his abilities in tc when they put the pads on and start hitting.

Haden is one of the most athletic guys on a team that is dire need of athleticism. He will be a star on a defense that has lacked any star quality since 1999. Sit back and enjoy watching this kid develop.

I don't know why anyone is getting their undergarments in a twist over the idea of Haden starting out the year as the third corner in nickel coverages. Granted, we want our draft picks to play as much as possible, especially the #7 overall, but this is a passing league and third down is the most important down on defense.

I, for one, am glad to have this kid back there in nickel situations. I'm so tired of the Browns not getting off the field on third downs and hearing the announcers say "They were picking on (insert scrap heap corner name here) again."

This kid will be an every-down starter soon enough. Look, we have a very good DC in Ryan and a head coach in Mangini who earned a lot of respect from the DBs he directly coached in the past. Haden will be a very good player, but if he's playing on third downs and special package D only at first, I say great.

Really, would you rather have this in our nickel package -- Wright, Poteat, Pool, Furrey, Adams

or this -- Wright, Brown, Haden, Adams, Ward

Hmmm. I'll take door #2, Monty.

Really, would you rather have this in our nickel package -- Wright, Poteat, Pool, Furrey, Adams

i'm so glad i'll never have to watch poteat again in the brown and orange. i'm still pissed off about that lions game.

I think Haden needs to start. I don't agree with the notion that it's totally cool for the first Top 10 corner since the debacle of five years ago (none were worth it) can be a nickel corner.

There's so much more you could and should do with a #7 pick then get a developmental corner. Those are available in round 2 (Tracy Porter) or later in round one (Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, although Jackson is already a starter).

The discussion isn't about whether Joe Haden is a good corner or a first round pick. He's both. And CB was a position of need for the Browns. I'd argue that with Brown and Wright it wasn't even close to as high as WR, however.

The point is, since the rule changes, a lot of teams wonder how much a corner can actually DO to validate a top 10 pick. How much can he affect the bottom line? How many more wins will the Browns have because they took Joe Haden instead of trading down or up for Jackson or Wilson? THAT'S the question about corners now, if you ask me.

Now safeties who can cover AND step into the box? I think they'll start rising up the charts. Corner is still an elite draft position for many because they haven't caught up to the reality: While nobody wants subpar corners, it's gonna be really, REALLY tough to be a great one these days. Teams will cover the pass with schemes and zones and third and fourth corners posing as safeties. No more David Fulcher. Much more Eric Berry.

The Saints and Colts played in a Super Bowl either could've won. Toss in the Vikings, who probably should've been there. Who on any of those three teams is an "ELITE" corner? A regular in the Pro Bowl?

What I know about these teams is that they all have superstar quarterbacks, guys who can get after the OTHER team's quarterback... and no superstar corners. I'm just sayin'.

Well, arguably the best cb in the NFL? is Revis of the Jets.

He had a breakout year in 09, was drafted in 07.

He is about the size of Haden, maybe a bit lighter...

maybe the Jets didn't have a real choice but to start him...

The Browns do. I hope Brown and Wright keep Haden from starting at cb for a little while.

If they don't, Haden will step in.

Haden is going to be great, I think. The Browns don't have to force him into being a starting cb right now - there's a lot of stuff to learn.

You put way too much importance on draft slots shep. You equate him not starting to a failed pick...ya know, since we could have had the likes of dez or pickle there.

We have 2 good starting corners in brown and wright. Haden has to supplant them and EARN a starting spot....its just not given to him because he was picked 7th.

To me, it's about value, Choco. What else could we have done with that 7th pick? I don't know the answer in a literal sense, but we probably could've traded down from #7 and up from #38 and ended up with more picks and either Wilson or Jackson.

And yeah... I would've rather had Dez Bryant.

But Shep, the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence, because you imagine it might have been.

I am much happier the Browns went defense with that first pick.

And I think we have ALL seen way too much of the Browns' previous bottom of the barrel? pass defense of previous years.

Those other offenses that used to laugh that they could convert a third down to a first down every time, will not be laughing anymore.

But Bryant was also a character risk after lieing to NCAA investigators, and his 10 month suspension just

makes one wonder if he will end up being a problem child in the pros.

Wasn't worth the chance. Haden will prove himself with his excellent character and work ethic, and cb skills.

I think Haden's a good kid and I think he'll be a good player. I just have a hang up about value... and I don't think any corner not named Revis can return a top 10 value. That's why you can argue about who's the best QB or WR or safety... but there's just that one Revis.

It's just really hard to have a huge individual impact playing corner with today's rules.

If you want to talk about value, talk about Revis wanting 20 mill a year and Nnamdi Asomugha making 15 mill/year. Thats more than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, so if you can get an elite CB on a rookie contract then you have value. If you dont have that CB and you have to go pay 10mill/year for a decent CB that eats alot of salary cap.

Anquan Boldin makes 7mill/year, Chad Johnson makes just under that, Larry Fitzgerald makes 10 million a year, Randy Moss is making 9mill/year.

If you want to talk about value, CB is the value pick

Archived