THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Jake's job to lose

Eric Mangini: It's Jake Delhomme's job to lose

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 19, 2010 10:04 AM ET

Browns coach Eric Mangini said last month that he wasn't ready to declare Jake Delhomme his starting quarterback. But Delhomme will definitely go into camp with a leg up on Seneca Wallace.

Mangini told our own Mike Florio on The Dan Patrick Show that everything Delhomme did during the Browns' organized team activities indicated that he's ready to be the Browns' starting quarterback.

"It's really Jake's job to lose, and he did a great job during OTAs," Mangini said. "I couldn't have been happier with him, not just in terms of the way he learned the information but the way he ran the offense."

Still, Mangini says he's also impressed with Wallace and that he wants to make sure Wallace gets time working with the first-string offense.

"Seneca did a good job too," Mangini said. "I think it's important that Seneca gets some reps with the ones, so that if he goes in he does have some time with that group."

Wallace can also threaten opposing defenses with his feet, so it might make sense for the Browns to use Wallace at times in the WildDawg formation. But the Browns are heading into training camp expecting Delhomme to be their starter.

Eric Mangini: It's Jake Delhomme's job to lose

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 19, 2010 10:04 AM ET

Browns coach Eric Mangini said last month that he wasn't ready to declare Jake Delhomme his starting quarterback. But Delhomme will definitely go into camp with a leg up on Seneca Wallace.

Mangini told our own Mike Florio on The Dan Patrick Show that everything Delhomme did during the Browns' organized team activities indicated that he's ready to be the Browns' starting quarterback.

"It's really Jake's job to lose, and he did a great job during OTAs," Mangini said. "I couldn't have been happier with him, not just in terms of the way he learned the information but the way he ran the offense."

Still, Mangini says he's also impressed with Wallace and that he wants to make sure Wallace gets time working with the first-string offense.

"Seneca did a good job too," Mangini said. "I think it's important that Seneca gets some reps with the ones, so that if he goes in he does have some time with that group."

Wallace can also threaten opposing defenses with his feet, so it might make sense for the Browns to use Wallace at times in the WildDawg formation. But the Browns are heading into training camp expecting Delhomme to be their starter.

He'll lose it. Wallace will be starting at or around week 6.

Hey nostra-dunbass..........I really don't value your opinion , sorry

Oh you do and I'll be right. Delhomme is worthless, he'll lose his job in a timely fashion.

I think that he needs to start strong. He's one of a few QB's that have little margin for error. If he continues to throw interceptions he may as well bench himself. This is an interesting situation for him because he has a bunch of unproven talent to work with. If he some how finds a way to make them better he'll be on top of the world. He doesn't have an out for the alternative. It really depends on preparation if he can be prepared each week and encourage others to do so I think he'll be fine. A lot of the problem with these guys is that they go into games unprepared. You see it on the field. The greats are always prepared that's why you get sick of watching them win. Some old examples I can give is John Elway, Joe Montana, and even Brett Favre. Just when you think their team was utterly screwed they'd some how pull it out. Big Gay Ben as one of our friends refers to them is another one. Hate to admit it but it's true.These guys use their talents and their opponents weaknesses to beat them. One the keys to doing this is preparation. Just like in Super Bowl XLIII Big Gay Ben said that he and Holmes worked on that play that won the game all week. Even though Big Gay Ben meant to throw the ball away Holmes came up with it. Mainly because they worked on it all week. It's up to the players to do the extra work the ones that do win constantly and get on our nerves the ones that don't are the ones that leave you scratching your head wondering what they were thinking on that given play.

I think that he needs to start strong. He's one of a few QB's that have little margin for error. If he continues to throw interceptions he may as well bench himself. This is an interesting situation for him because he has a bunch of unproven talent to work with. If he some how finds a way to make them better he'll be on top of the world. He doesn't have an out for the alternative. It really depends on preparation if he can be prepared each week and encourage others to do so I think he'll be fine. A lot of the problem with these guys is that they go into games unprepared. You see it on the field. The greats are always prepared that's why you get sick of watching them win. Some old examples I can give is John Elway, Joe Montana, and even Brett Favre. Just when you think their team was utterly screwed they'd some how pull it out. Big Gay Ben as one of our friends refers to them is another one. Hate to admit it but it's true.These guys use their talents and their opponents weaknesses to beat them. One the keys to doing this is preparation. Just like in Super Bowl XLIII Big Gay Ben said that he and Holmes worked on that play that won the game all week. Even though Big Gay Ben meant to throw the ball away Holmes came up with it. Mainly because they worked on it all week. It's up to the players to do the extra work the ones that do win constantly and get on our nerves the ones that don't are the ones that leave you scratching your head wondering what they were thinking on that given play.

Where the hell did you read that Big Ben was "throwing the ball away" during the Super Bowl? Why the hell with that amount of time on the clock would he even THINK about throwing the ball away. You make it seem like the play happened by accident and if you are of that opinion WOW. Big Ben plays to win and almost NEVER throws the ball away, hence all the sacks.

Where the hell did you read that Big Ben was "throwing the ball away" during the Super Bowl? Why the hell with that amount of time on the clock would he even THINK about throwing the ball away. You make it seem like the play happened by accident and if you are of that opinion WOW. Big Ben plays to win and almost NEVER throws the ball away, hence all the sacks.

He mentioned it in the NFL films coverage of Super Bowl XLIII. I'm not sure if I can find it for you but I will try. Plus a sack would've been worse in that situation seeing as they didn't have any time outs left. An incompletion would've been better as they would've gotten another play. I think that would've gone through Ben's mind seeing as he's a great quarterback. Just relax boss man it's only a forum.

He mentioned it in the NFL films coverage of Super Bowl XLIII. I'm not sure if I can find it for you but I will try. Plus a sack would've been worse in that situation seeing as they didn't have any time outs left. An incompletion would've been better as they would've gotten another play. I think that would've gone through Ben's mind seeing as he's a great quarterback. Just relax boss man it's only a forum.

I'm totally calm. I also saw that coverage and I'm also certain he said he thought about throwing it away but when he saw Santonio breaking he put the ball where only Santonio could get it and if for some reason he didn't it would have been thrown away and the sack avoided. He was certainly trying to get the ball to Santonio and obviously did. If he were just going to throw it away to throw it away the ball would have been thrown more sideline.

I think Jake's margin for error is REALLY small, given how he's played last season and the previous playoffs. In fact, if he throws a few picks in the opener, it'll feel like business as usual and the chants of "DUH!!" will be deafening. Like, who couldn't see THIS coming?

I can't think of someone who needs a "clean" game more than Delhomme. I'm not sure he has to ring up big numbers... he just has to stay within himself, be accurate, and avoid turnovers. More than 1 pick is going to look really bad.

I'm totally calm. I also saw that coverage and I'm also certain he said he thought about throwing it away but when he saw Santonio breaking he put the ball where only Santonio could get it and if for some reason he didn't it would have been thrown away and the sack avoided. He was certainly trying to get the ball to Santonio and obviously did. If he were just going to throw it away to throw it away the ball would have been thrown more sideline.

That's possible too. Either way my whole point of the thread was about preparation being a key to being a successful football team. That was the point that I think got missed in this small debate. After looking at a few vids on SB XLIII I can't find what Big Ben said exactly. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that throw was where Ben intended it because that's what it looked like. I was surprised to hear that he even considered throwing the ball away as good as the pass looked. But back to my point he and Santonio prepped for that very moment all week before the SB. That's what makes teams great or mediocre.

I think Jake's margin for error is REALLY small, given how he's played last season and the previous playoffs. In fact, if he throws a few picks in the opener, it'll feel like business as usual and the chants of "DUH!!" will be deafening. Like, who couldn't see THIS coming?

I can't think of someone who needs a "clean" game more than Delhomme. I'm not sure he has to ring up big numbers... he just has to stay within himself, be accurate, and avoid turnovers. More than 1 pick is going to look really bad.

Part of his problem is his emotions ruin him. It's just like Keanu Reeves said in the Replacements about quicksand. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch the movie. More or less he talks about making one mistake, then in effort to make up for it the whole gets dug deeper and deeper. This is what has happened to Delhomme. If he falls into quicksand the job will be lost. There's the link to a YouTube link to the part I'm talking about.

That's possible too. Either way my whole point of the thread was about preparation being a key to being a successful football team. That was the point that I think got missed in this small debate. After looking at a few vids on SB XLIII I can't find what Big Ben said exactly. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that throw was where Ben intended it because that's what it looked like. I was surprised to hear that he even considered throwing the ball away as good as the pass looked. But back to my point he and Santonio prepped for that very moment all week before the SB. That's what makes teams great or mediocre.

Totally agree and my apologies. It's obvious you're level headed and voice your opinion objectively. I'm so used to someone here making some outlandish comment that I assume most post with only a certain shade of glasses. A percentage would try and parlay Big Ben's comments in to a case to detract from his abilities. Preparation is certainly key and it is 100% what separates the good teams from the bad on any given sunday.

Totally agree and my apologies. It's obvious you're level headed and voice your opinion objectively. I'm so used to someone here making some outlandish comment that I assume most post with only a certain shade of glasses. A percentage would try and parlay Big Ben's comments in to a case to detract from his abilities. Preparation is certainly key and it is 100% what separates the good teams from the bad on any given sunday.

I'm pretty sure this thread is about Delhomme. Not the fat rapist QB from Shitsburgh. Quit hijacking every thread to some Pissburgh related topic Homo. ;)

Part of his problem is his emotions ruin him. It's just like Keanu Reeves said in the Replacements about quicksand. If you don't know what I'm talking about watch the movie. More or less he talks about making one mistake, then in effort to make up for it the whole gets dug deeper and deeper. This is what has happened to Delhomme. If he falls into quicksand the job will be lost. There's the link to a YouTube link to the part I'm talking about.

Did u really just compare jake to footsteps falco? Maybe we should compare him to paul blake. Here is the problem, we have done this song and dance before with jeff garcia and trent dilfer. there have been qbs who have resurected there careers by a change of scenary. Unfortantely I can't remember the last time we were lucky enough to find one.

in my personal opinion, not saying any of you need to change yours, I would rather see seneca wallace starting. I think jake's place on the team should be to be colt mccoys mentor, talk him thru situations on the sidelines, and tell him everything he knows so colt could be ready down the road. Is wallace a great qb, no, is he a good/decent qb, yes. this team is filled with so many unique weapons, could you imagine being a d coordinator trying to gameplan for this line up.

qb: seneca wallace - decent arm strength, good accuracy, very mobile

hb: harrison - quickness, good receiving hb, big play ability

hardesty - hard nose runner, goes to the whistle, great spin move, fast but powerful

fb: vickers - elite run blockers, very underrated

hillis - power runner, excellent receiving fb, body like a battering ram

te: watson - athletic, good recieving ability, decent blocker

moore - more like a big wr, great catching

smith - very good blocking te

wr: mo mass - nice frame, big play ability

cribbs - most dynamic player in the nfl, can play qb rb wr returner...probably db if he wanted to

robiskie - unproven but could be valuable route runner

mitchell - raw talent, pro bowl potential

I dont kno about you, but that line up poses so many threats it very difficult to focus on just one guy. the fact wallace is mobile is the reason i believe he should start simply because there is no possible way to game plan for those type of weapons

I'm pretty sure this thread is about Delhomme. Not the fat rapist QB from Shitsburgh. Quit hijacking every thread to some Pissburgh related topic Homo. ;)

Actually you ignorant simpleton it's a discussion between Marcus and I and something you can choose to ignore if you please. It's possible for threads to have brief asides unless of course that's beyond your comprehension. I may be able to find someone to spell it out for you. It should also be noted that I wasn't the one to bring up Big Ben and my initial comment was that Delhomme is going to fall on his face and lose the starting job by week 6. Marcus said it's a matter of preparation. You can also add in repetition which is a part of that preparation and team chemistry. All of which the Browns in recent memory have had very little of so considering Delhomme's recent track record he's proven he isn't exactly the most mentally tough. He'll bite the Browns in the a$$ and you'll be drafting a QB inside the top 10 next draft because McCoy is a career back up and Delhomme isn't enough to right the ship. Is that good enough for you or should I spell it out further? Need a thesaurus?

Actually you ignorant simpleton it's a discussion between Marcus and I and something you can choose to ignore if you please. It's possible for threads to have brief asides unless of course that's beyond your comprehension. I may be able to find someone to spell it out for you. It should also be noted that I wasn't the one to bring up Big Ben and my initial comment was that Delhomme is going to fall on his face and lose the starting job by week 6. Marcus said it's a matter of preparation. You can also add in repetition which is a part of that preparation and team chemistry. All of which the Browns in recent memory have had very little of so considering Delhomme's recent track record he's proven he isn't exactly the most mentally tough. He'll bite the Browns in the a$$ and you'll be drafting a QB inside the top 10 next draft because McCoy is a career back up and Delhomme isn't enough to right the ship. Is that good enough for you or should I spell it out further? Need a thesaurus?

LOL that was funny. I'm sorry dude but that was hilarious. I'll admit I'm not comfortable with Delhomme being the starter but there's that chance he'll prove us wrong. As small as that chance is...it's still possible. I think Colt Mc Coy will become a good quarterback in the NFL but it depends on him. If he repeats his behavior at Texas being a studious, and tough player I think he'll be fine. He has the right attitude going in so we'll see. Now I haven't seen Seneca Wallace play much qb mainly because I don't usually watch the Seahawks so I'm not sure what he brings to the table. I will say this, if Delhome plays poorly we'll be seeing what Wallace can do really soon.

Did u really just compare jake to footsteps falco? Maybe we should compare him to paul blake. Here is the problem, we have done this song and dance before with jeff garcia and trent dilfer. there have been qbs who have resurected there careers by a change of scenary. Unfortantely I can't remember the last time we were lucky enough to find one.

No I was simply saying what Falco said in the movie relates a lot to what I think about Delhomme. Hell, even the pea brained analysts say the same thing during each of his meltdowns. They don't use the quicksand analogy but it's the same principle. However, your point is well seen about the journeyman qb. We have yet to see one. I don't agree with Jake being picked up by the Browns but he is a member of the team until he's cut, traded, or retired. So in that time I hope that he brings something to the table. If not he'll be benched and on to the next guy. This team needs to be better as a whole it doesn't end with Delhomme no more than it will begin with McCoy. The team has to want to win before they can. They've shown they're capable of winning but do they really want to win is the question. Just like Mike Singletary said "I want winners!" "I want players that want to win!" same goes for me as a browns fan. I hope all of you are like that.

I don't think you can put numbers on it like more than 1 pick.

Picks happen.

As long as he hits receivers and we move the ball, that is good enough....and we will.

I think Jake will pass for around 3300 yards with a percentage in the low 60's, maybe 20 TD with 15 picks....maybe a QB rating in the high 80's.

If the running game backs that up, we win 8-9 ballgames....a bounce or two, maybe 10.

I expect the last game against the Steelers to be a game of meaning.

We may need some help that Sunday in other games, but we WILL be playing with possibilities on the line.

Delhomme may not be very good but I would rather have him then Big Ben. Ben looked like shit behind that Pittsburgh line last year, imagine if he'd played for us since 2004. The dude would be in a wheelchair by now.

Delhomme may not be very good but I would rather have him then Big Ben. Ben looked like shit behind that Pittsburgh line last year, imagine if he'd played for us since 2004. The dude would be in a wheelchair by now.

How many yards did he throw for this past year? The defense lost the games for us this past season, not Ben. You're also so full of sh.it it hurts my stomach. It's one thing to hate the Steelers it's something completely different to throw out completely ridiculous statements to back up that hate. You'd rather have Delhomme than Big Ben? I don't think any one of the 32 teams in the NFL would say "I'd rather have X over Big Ben" unless "X" is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and even then the argument is getting diluted. Steeler fan or not the man is a beast and a proven winner. Delhomme can't smell where he sh.it last. If the defense didn't continuously drop the ball in the 4th quarter last year Pittsburgh would have been a 13-3 team. Period.

How many yards did he throw for this past year? The defense lost the games for us this past season, not Ben. You're also so full of sh.it it hurts my stomach. It's one thing to hate the Steelers it's something completely different to throw out completely ridiculous statements to back up that hate. You'd rather have Delhomme than Big Ben? I don't think any one of the 32 teams in the NFL would say "I'd rather have X over Big Ben" unless "X" is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and even then the argument is getting diluted. Steeler fan or not the man is a beast and a proven winner. Delhomme can't smell where he sh.it last. If the defense didn't continuously drop the ball in the 4th quarter last year Pittsburgh would have been a 13-3 team. Period.

this is a serious, not hateful question. What do you get on coming onto a browns board, a forum that will have clear bias towards the browns and steelers and try and defend your team? does it raise your self-esteem by arguing on almost thing put on here? I'm really not trying to put you down here, cause you do at least talk with some wit. I guess I just really don't see the point of it, it's not like we're going to feel any differently based on what you say.

It'd be like me as a conservative republican going to an ACLU meeting. I may be saying things that are true and my opinions may be valid, but it's just going to fall on deaf ears 95% of the time.

Oh you do and I'll be right. Delhomme is worthless, he'll lose his job in a timely fashion.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. What is your point? If he does then that will mean simply that the Browns will have someone better running the team.

A couple of possibles: Vinny Testaverde led Browns to playoffs in 1994. Gary Danielson perhaps. He did well as a "stopgap" until Kosar came along. Bill Nelsen definitely. Led Browns to several playoff appearances even with his bad knees.

Yes, a question is will Delhomme be one of those guys, or a Dilfer, Garcia, Rypien who did not fare all that well in their chances here.

I like the hate on Delhomme right now. Lets him fly under the radar. Most of the negative criticism towards him is because of the two past seasons.

Remember this is an undrafted QB who took a team to the Super Bowl not too long ago.

Not too long ago? It's a long ass time when discussing "NFL" time considering the wear and tear on your body while in the league. He's also not flying under anyone's radar. He's been completely cast off and rightfully so because he's been awful as of late. He's easily one of the most inconsistent QB's in the league and the one thing the Browns do need is consistency. Who knows maybe he experiences some sort of rebirth. I sincerely doubt it and you'll be drafting a QB next year. Delhomme is irrelevant and has been for a while.

Not too long ago? It's a long ass time when discussing "NFL" time considering the wear and tear on your body while in the league. He's also not flying under anyone's radar. He's been completely cast off and rightfully so because he's been awful as of late. He's easily one of the most inconsistent QB's in the league and the one thing the Browns do need is consistency. Who knows maybe he experiences some sort of rebirth. I sincerely doubt it and you'll be drafting a QB next year. Delhomme is irrelevant and has been for a while.

Well, he had a bad game and a bad year, other than that, he has been pretty good throughout his career.

Why you have a bug up your ass about Delhomme confuses me. Did he bang your wife?

No one here is expecting miracles from Jake Delhomme. At best we are hoping for a steady veteran hand as a stopgap QB.

At worst, he will either repeat what he did last year and be benched in which case we may not be any worse off than we were last year on offense.

Perhaps the OC for the Browns ought to be seriously questioned and not the QBs.

Another couple of things: who says the Browns didn't have consistency last year at QB? They were consistently bad. That IS consistency. Also, in case you didn't notice, the Browns drafted a QB in April. Whether or not they think they will need another one come next year is beyond the power of you, me, or anyone else to figure out. If the plan is not to play McCoy, then we won't know if he will or will not be the right choice for the future. That question won't be answered for at least a year or two beyond that.

Archived