THE BROWNS BOARD

Clayton - Probably not Cowher on WKNR

budcarson

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/10/...o-coach-browns/

CLAYTON SAYS COWHER UNLIKELY TO COACH BROWNS

Posted by Mike Florio on December 10, 2008, 8:18 a.m.

ESPN’s John Clayton, who as far as we can tell has not broached this specific subject on ESPN.com, told a Cleveland radio station on Tuesday night that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher will most likely not become the next coach of the Browns.

In an appearance on WKNR, the Cleveland ESPN Radio affiliate, Clayton confirmed our past report that discussions have been occurred between the two sides, and he predicted that an offer would be made after the season.

“Has there been a direct conversation?” Clayton said. “Has there been an interview? No, but there are enough people talking to both sides. They will talk to him after the season. They will make him his offer. He’s probably going to turn it down.”

Our take has been that Cowher is using the Cleveland interest as a way to ensure that his name will remain at the top of the “A” list for the coming hiring cycle. Regardless of whether he’s doing it with his eyes on a potential opportunity elsewhere in 2009 or simply to ensure that his name remains in the conversation for coaching vacancies until he’s ready to return, we believe that Cowher wants to nurture the notion that, in any given year, he’s the gleaming brass ring on the NFL coaching carousel.

Clayton said that other possible arrivals are former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer (who could serve as coach or Parcells-style executive or both) and current Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, who worked for the “Browns” from 1992-95.

As to Schottenheimer, a league source points out that hiring him could allow the franchise to avoid buying out the big-money contract of offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who previously worked with Schottenheimer and would be more likely to remain on staff if Schottenheimer were running the show. After the team’s 10-6 performance in 2008 (which apparently was an “amorition“), Chudzinski received a deal that’s believed to be equivalent to head coach compensation in some cities in order to rebuff the interest of the Ravens in hiring him to replace Brian Billick.

The wild card in this situation is current G.M. Phil Savage. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen recently pointed out that owner Randy Lerner’s preference would be to keep Savage in the fold, but to strip him of final-say authority over the roster. Such a move would allow Lerner to avoid owing Savage a buyout of roughly $8.1 million — unless Lerner quits, or is fired for cause due to his “go root for Buffalo” escapades and his role in the Kellen Winslow staph fiasco from earlier in the year.

Frankly, if Savage ends up sticking around, we think his wings would need to be dramatically clipped; as one league insider opined of Savage, “His skin’s like an onion and he loves the microphone. It’s a recipe for disaster.”

CLAYTON SAYS COWHER UNLIKELY TO COACH BROWNS

Posted by Mike Florio on December 10, 2008, 8:18 a.m.

ESPN’s John Clayton, who as far as we can tell has not broached this specific subject on ESPN.com, told a Cleveland radio station on Tuesday night that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher will most likely not become the next coach of the Browns.

In an appearance on WKNR, the Cleveland ESPN Radio affiliate, Clayton confirmed our past report that discussions have been occurred between the two sides, and he predicted that an offer would be made after the season.

“Has there been a direct conversation?” Clayton said. “Has there been an interview? No, but there are enough people talking to both sides. They will talk to him after the season. They will make him his offer. He’s probably going to turn it down.”

Our take has been that Cowher is using the Cleveland interest as a way to ensure that his name will remain at the top of the “A” list for the coming hiring cycle. Regardless of whether he’s doing it with his eyes on a potential opportunity elsewhere in 2009 or simply to ensure that his name remains in the conversation for coaching vacancies until he’s ready to return, we believe that Cowher wants to nurture the notion that, in any given year, he’s the gleaming brass ring on the NFL coaching carousel.

Clayton said that other possible arrivals are former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer (who could serve as coach or Parcells-style executive or both) and current Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, who worked for the “Browns” from 1992-95.

As to Schottenheimer, a league source points out that hiring him could allow the franchise to avoid buying out the big-money contract of offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who previously worked with Schottenheimer and would be more likely to remain on staff if Schottenheimer were running the show. After the team’s 10-6 performance in 2008 (which apparently was an “amorition“), Chudzinski received a deal that’s believed to be equivalent to head coach compensation in some cities in order to rebuff the interest of the Ravens in hiring him to replace Brian Billick.

The wild card in this situation is current G.M. Phil Savage. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen recently pointed out that owner Randy Lerner’s preference would be to keep Savage in the fold, but to strip him of final-say authority over the roster. Such a move would allow Lerner to avoid owing Savage a buyout of roughly $8.1 million — unless Lerner quits, or is fired for cause due to his “go root for Buffalo” escapades and his role in the Kellen Winslow staph fiasco from earlier in the year.

Frankly, if Savage ends up sticking around, we think his wings would need to be dramatically clipped; as one league insider opined of Savage, “His skin’s like an onion and he loves the microphone. It’s a recipe for disaster.”

He nails Lerner perfectly...every coaching move revolves around the buyout liability...$$$$$$$$.

When I read those words I got confused. when I read the article in the link you gave it correctly says Savage ! And I assume that you just copied and pasted the link right ?

Here's some facts.

1. Replacing RAC and Tucker and some of the other coaches they gave contracts to last year it will cost Lerner close to $20 million. That is if he keeps Savage.

2. Hiring Cowher means Savage is gone also with his $8.1 million. Cowher will want about that and a new GM and staff will be another $10+ million.

3. Redskins, if they fire Zorn, which seems evident at this point have targeted Cowher also.

4. Cowher has said over and over that he isn't interested this year in coaching. Money doesn't buy everybody. Some people have integrity.

Conclusion - Cowher isn't coming. Savage is staying because he has Lerner's ear and Lerner owes him too much. Marty might come but he seems like he wants begged. The Brown's do the smart thing and keep Savage and hire a young aggressive coach instead of a retread. There is a bottom to the well and only so much money that Lerner will throw away.

There are no coaching guarantees and everybody outside of Cowher was fired for a reason. Marty has been fired too many times and I don't want Cleveland to be a safe haven for his family who he will bring with him and put on his staff.

Conclusion - Cowher isn't coming. Savage is staying because he has Lerner's ear and Lerner owes him too much. Marty might come but he seems like he wants begged. The Brown's do the smart thing and keep Savage and hire a young aggressive coach instead of a retread. There is a bottom to the well and only so much money that Lerner will throw away.

If we get another "young aggressive inexperienced coordinator" as a head coach im calling it quits as an nfl fan.. this owner and his father have failed the fans to many times in 10 yrs so if lerner cant hire the right people and stick his money where his mouth is im sure not gonna throw anything into his kettle...

I wouldnt rule romeo out just yet and if that fat phuck stays ts instant loss of interest in the cleveland browns until they get a new owner or i die whichever comes first...

If we get another "young aggressive inexperienced coordinator" as a head coach im calling it quits as an nfl fan.. this owner and his father have failed the fans to many times in 10 yrs so if lerner cant hire the right people and stick his money where his mouth is im sure not gonna throw anything into his kettle...

I wouldnt rule romeo out just yet and if that fat phuck stays ts instant loss of interest in the cleveland browns until they get a new owner or i die whichever comes first...

So, if Cowher isn't coming and Marty doesn't want to come, which one of the retread has-beens do you want to hire to get someone with experience? Remember, it isn't that we have money so that's a done deal. It takes two to make the deal. Cowher has been up front and said he isn't ready to come back and he wouldn't come to Cleveland as long as the Rooney family is running Pittsburgh. So, what part of "no" don't you understand. Marty said he isn't interested in coaching but might take a look at the front office (I hope that doesn't excite you).

Know, you want experience. Then which loser do you want - Dennis Green, Billick, Tice, Fassell or maybe Palmer, he has experience.

I guess NO, Jets, Pitts, Balt or Miami should not have gone for those young co-ordinators and hired a retread with experience.

Who would ever want to bring in a slug like Spagnola?................................

Whats this about the Redskin's firing Zorn?

Why?

Reports out of Washington are Zorn will be let go if they don't make the playoffs. Snyder would definately make a big play for Cowher, since he corted him last year.

That is if Cowher would even accept going to the NFC. He has repeatedly said he wouldn't consider coaching until next year.

Guest Ghoolie
Clayton continues to say that he thinks Cowher will pass out of loyalty to the Rooney family, which is understandable. On the other hand, Lerner is said to be perhaps the most engaging and persuasive owner in football, and even guys like Floyd Reese are running around saying it's a first class organization and very attractive to just about anybody.

It's sort of irresistible force meets immovable object.

Could you provide a quote to substantiate your claim that "Lerner is said to be one of the most engaging and persuasive owners in football"

Who said this? Perhaps a drunk right before he passed out on Prospect?

I have not seen ANY consensus even remotely calling Randy Lerner a savvy owner. For the most part the evidence clearly paints him as one of the most detached, uneducated, and basically inept NFL owners. He and his Father have cursed Cleveland with 10 years of total crap football.

You cannot demonstrate one tangible performance criterea in which thie man has succeeded as an owner. The Cleveland Browns are devoid of pro-bowl caliber talent, devoid of a running game, devoid of a defense, devoid of play making recievers, devoid of pass rushers and after 10 years STILL don't have e dependable QB.

Sorry Shep, your statement looms as ridiculous. Other than some NFL owners blowing smoke up each others backside, please provide a bibliography of those being quoted in testimony of Lerners great talents.

Lerner blows, and everyone here knows he blows.

Here's some facts.

1. Replacing RAC and Tucker and some of the other coaches they gave contracts to last year it will cost Lerner close to $20 million. That is if he keeps Savage.

2. Hiring Cowher means Savage is gone also with his $8.1 million. Cowher will want about that and a new GM and staff will be another $10+ million.

3. Redskins, if they fire Zorn, which seems evident at this point have targeted Cowher also.

4. Cowher has said over and over that he isn't interested this year in coaching. Money doesn't buy everybody. Some people have integrity.

There are no coaching guarantees and everybody outside of Cowher was fired for a reason. Marty has been fired too many times and I don't want Cleveland to be a safe haven for his family who he will bring with him and put on his staff.

Marty fired too many times? Let's back up the truck. Modell letting Marty go was one of his biggest mistakes. The Chargers fired Marty, and where are they now? like out of the playoffs. Cowher's career coaching %? .623 Marty's is .613.

I'll posit Schottenheimer's postseason record is just a run of incredibly bad luck. Fumbles, dropped passes not stuff that you can lay on the coaching staff.

Munch was pretty certain that if Learner couldn't get the guy he wanted in here Romeo is getting another year.

Let's hope not, I'd hate to declare next season over before it began.

Seriously, the thought of it makes me want to vomit.

I'm NOT watching another year of this bullcrap, no way, no how.

Romeo comes back I'm not going to or watching any games, I won't be buying merchandise for myself or as gifts.

PS

I feel sorry for you poor PSL people if Romeo comes back, you'll be throwing thousands out the window for more shit on a bun.

The reasonable explanation is that the redskins have skidded from 6-2 to 7-6 and out of the playoff picture. The Snyder explanation is that he wanted Cowher all along and he would fire his own mother to get him.

Tupa,

It seems like Snyder is going through Head Coaches faster than we are so it's possible Cowher is using Washington to drive up his price tag.

Washington was about the ONLY place Marty never got a chance to rebuild a team the way it needed to be. I think he went 8-8 as someone else mentioned, which was far better than life before Marty. I'm sure Cowher would ask Marty what it was like to work for Snyder so that can't suck for us.

If we don't GET Cowher or Marty, I think we've painfully learned where the biggest problem is. Keep in mind, EVERYONE has a price they can only say "yes" to. This isn't any difference. The pressure is on Lerner because our entire fanbase has already had to hear: "Chris Palmer wasn't our first or second choice." If something like that gets repetitious - it's hard to blame the Head Coach every freakin time and I don't feel like saying freakin. This decision starts at the highest altitude of power.

BTW, I put the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips types into the RAC class. Give them all a Head Coach to work under with a talented roster and they're fine. Make them Head Coaches and watch em ferment. "LAND HOOOOOOOOO!" "No kidding!"

- Tom F.

Tom it always goes one or two ways with these great coordinators under great coaches, they either can't handle the big show by themselves, or they flounder.

Norv Turner, Romeo, these are examples of great great coaches one one side of the ball that simply cannot handle leading the 53 man roster.

That's why it's absolutely imperitive to the success of our franchise that we bring in a proven winner at the head coach level in the NFL.

These idiots (and they are idiots) who talk about not wanting retreads and wanting a "new" face are completely out of their element. First of all, coaches don't have to run,tackle or any of that, so if they were successful in one city, chances are they will have the same success (or close to it) in another city.

We need to instill an attitude of winning here before we start to find our next young headcoach.

That can only be done with Marty and/or Bill.

And what happens if neither Marty or Bill wants to be Browns coach ? What is Plan B ?

This is kind of a response to THIS thread...and the REESE thread:

Jim Schwarz, the DC for the Tennessee Titans...is one of the HOT PROSPECTS for HC positions. He was in line for 3 different HC positions last year:

A high-energy coach, Schwartz is a fiery leader for whom veterans enjoy playing, and early in his career he worked for current New England coach Bill Belichick.

He has been with the Titans since 1999. Before that, Schwartz worked for the Cleveland Browns (1995) and Baltimore Ravens (1996-98).

Schwartz interviewed this year for the head coach openings in Washington, Miami and Atlanta.

As you can see, he has a past with the Browns, has the type of demeanor many of us want (fiery), and has a history with Belichick (so his system could be similar).

If Reese were to come in as GM...it may be very likely he would be able to bring in Schwartz. Schwartz was also recently mentioned as a top candidate by ESPN

Crennel Replacement Candidates

A nice scenario would be for Reese to take over as GM, but keep Savage around as a personnel guy....and bring in Schwartz as the HC.

This is kind of a response to THIS thread...and the REESE thread:

Jim Schwarz, the DC for the Tennessee Titans...is one of the HOT PROSPECTS for HC positions. He was in line for 3 different HC positions last year:

Why is he hot? He's got GREAT players like Keith Bulluck, Albert Haynesworth, Kyle VandenBosch, Chris Hope, Michael Griffin, Nick Harper and Cortland Finnegan. He's got a STRONG Supervisor that is VERY skilled at putting out fires when he needs to that's ALSO the head of the rules committee.

I pretty much agree with what Inspecta was saying. He did a real good job explaining it. Would Jim Schwartz be ANY better than Jason Garrett as a head coach? Who knows? They're both Coordinators on very talented teams. Last year all we heard from the media was how great Jason Garrett would be as the next Head Coach for Dallas. This year that offense looks disorganized and underachieving more than it should. As I've said before, I find myself tempted for a guy like Spagnola because defensive players are EXCITED to play in his system. And why? What's not fun about "sic em"? What's complicated about X-stunts that high school kids can perfect? We can't replace an Osi Youmeanbasterd with a Mathias Kiwanuka because we have neither on the roster. I'd love to watch a Sunday Chess Match where we rush the passer with more than just pawns. These Coordinators keep coming here and getting overwhelmed with the following culture shock: "WHERE the Flock-of-seagulls are all the good football players I was told I'd have?"

What assures us that ANY coordinator turning Head Coach for the first time can be ANY better with THIS team than the previous Coordinators from outside we looked to? Can't say but I will say I don't want to find out the HARD way where we fall right back into the trap that we give another guy TOO LONG without playoffs only because of previous screwups. IMO, the biggest REASON Marty worked was because he was HERE so there was NO culture shock of a coach being spoiled with talent coming to a roster with a handful of talented players.

Right now, I feel we gotta go get someone like Marty or Bill because their EXPERIENCE levels can make them the same voice of reason to Savage that Ozzie was. Hear me out. You see Cowher or Marty and you don't see a novice Head Coach. You see someone that commands respect. MAYBE, and I know I'm reversing some strong feelings from a week or 2 ago but, the RIGHT chemistry between Savage and Head Coach could end up making Savage worth keeping. Ozzie wouldn't LET him suck and I don't think Marty of Cowher would let that happen either. Phil's problem wasn't work ethic or ambition. His problem was he wasn't married to the RIGHT Head Coach on top of having a Supervisor who's bumper sticker reads: "I'd rather be skydiving!" You get him re-married to the right Head Coach and it might not even matter what side of the Atltantic Ocean Randy Lerner is on.

- Tom F. (Don't ask why because it's like trying to figure out why the only hit song for a band named War was called "Why Can't We Be Friends?" It's not supposed to make sense - it's just there)

Archived