THE BROWNS BOARD

WildDawg!

ATENEARS

Josh Cribbs and the WildDawg

ESPN's Adam Schefter writes how the Cleveland Browns may emulate the Miami Dolphins made the WildDawg a weapon, but the Cleveland Browns could elevate its effectiveness.

Wide receiver Josh Cribbs can play quarterback or wide receiver. Browns quarterback Seneca Wallace can play quarterback or wide receiver. Then there will be times when Cribbs and Wallace line up at running back and fullback, without the defense knowing where the ball is being snapped.

Cribbs, writes Schefter, knows his role will expand this coming season. And it has to. The Browns had one of the worst offenses last season, so they need to come up with every offensive gimmick possible.

Nobody likes gimmicks more than Cleveland coach Eric Mangini and nobody has any more toys than the Browns. Don't be surprised if the Browns take the WildDawg to a new level.

I don't mind the cake having a bit of decoration on it but I wouldn't want a full mouth of frosting.

I hope the mix is sensible and not too ridiculous. We need establish a decent NFL balanced offense this season - at least the start of one. I worry too much WildDawg will backfire on us.

Yeah that would be pretty intersting to have defense's wondering who is getting the ball Seneca Or Cribbs,Maybe have Cribbs line up at wideout have Seneca throw him the ball in the flat and then maybe he hits someone for a bomb?? there is a ton of options they could due with this formation

I think it is just one more weapon at our disposal. Making the best use out of the talent around you and all. We've always complained about not being able to get the ball into playmakers hands and this does just that. The key to using it of course is acknowledging when it is beneficial and when it just becomes too gimicky and hurts the team.

The NFL is all about keeping the defenses guessing, so this will be a positive for our team.

One thing to keep in mind, is Wallace is a legit QB too. So snap to Cribbs, throw to Wallace in the Flat, and have Wallace hit someone long.

Additionally, put them both out there, shift Harrison and Vickers back and Cribbs wide, and you have a standard formation. Not much fall off from Delhomme to Wallace in my opinion.

This could be a scary good unit with all the options and shifts they can do. The defenders should be entirely confused this year.

I don't mind the cake having a bit of decoration on it but I wouldn't want a full mouth of frosting.

I hope the mix is sensible and not too ridiculous. We need establish a decent NFL balanced offense this season - at least the start of one. I worry too much WildDawg will backfire on us.

Been channeling Marie Antoinette? With our OL the running game will be our bread and butter (or meat and potatos) and this WildDawg will, as you wish, just be a little pastry.

One thing to keep in mind, is Wallace is a legit QB too. So snap to Cribbs, throw to Wallace in the Flat, and have Wallace hit someone long.

Additionally, put them both out there, shift Harrison and Vickers back and Cribbs wide, and you have a standard formation. Not much fall off from Delhomme to Wallace in my opinion.

This could be a scary good unit with all the options and shifts they can do. The defenders should be entirely confused this year.

I would certainly hope the Browns could show quite a bit more firepower on offense considering they were 32d in total offense last year. And that's last place folks. Who are the playmakers going to be?

Cribbs and Wallace in this WildDawg?

Harrison lugging the ball like he did at the end of last year? With a little help from Davis/Hardesty?

I think our TEs can be quality....get them more involved in the action of trying to move the chains.

QB and WR are still the big question marks....and that is half of a normal offenses output. So MoMass and Robo et all have to step it up big time. No "rookie" excuses.

And Delhomme has to revert to his former form, or at least be about 50/50 on TD/Int. ratio. 8 TDs and 18 Ints. won't cut it.

i still stick by my post from last season: we should be calling this the wild dawg offense. it sounds much cooler than the WildDawg. come people, join me!

That ain't half bad. The Browns oughta start marketing it: the Wild Dawg offense with Cribbs and Wallace. Once we win a few games with it maybe it'll catch.

I thought Cribbs was awesome in the WildDawg last year, adding Seneca just multiplies the variables defenses have to worry about.

Zombo

i still stick by my post from last season: we should be calling this the wild dawg offense. it sounds much cooler than the WildDawg. come people, join me!

I like it. From here on out we never refer to it as Wildc_t ... infact, we will alter the software here to take care of it in honor of ClevelandFanForLife.

what i would love to see is senica in the shotgun, cribbs to his right, and vickers to his left, running a triple option where you let the LE/OLB come basically free, and pitch it either inside to vickers or outside to cribbs. could really slow down the pass rush from that side and help out that side of the line

I like it. From here on out we never refer to it as Wildc_t ... infact, we will alter the software here to take care of it in honor of ClevelandFanForLife.

The first time they say "Wild Dawg" offense on SportsCenter, CFFL gets an honorary trophy.

Zombo

--we still award those, right?

The first time they say "Wild Dawg" offense on SportsCenter, CFFL gets an honorary trophy.

Zombo

--we still award those, right?

Yeah ... let me get on getting those updated on the front page ...

what i would love to see is senica in the shotgun, cribbs to his right, and vickers to his left, running a triple option where you let the LE/OLB come basically free, and pitch it either inside to vickers or outside to cribbs. could really slow down the pass rush from that side and help out that side of the line

As a Seahawk fan I would like to give you guys a little heads up on Seneca Wallace. He is fast and he is

athletic and he is a QB, but he will not be successful for you in a WildDawg formation. The WildDawg requires

that the guy lined up at QB be a threat to take off running as one of the possible options. Anyone that

has watched tape of Seneca over the last few years knows he is NOT going to run. Forwards anyways.

Lining him up as a RB would be pretty funny, but a direct snap to him is the same as an awkward shotgun

snap. He's not going to run. Lining him up at WR is a way to get a completion because he can catch a

football, but you'd be lucky get more than two yards before he steps out of bounds. You see, Seneca

pictures himself as a drop back passer. Unfortunately he is too short to see over his own offensive line,

so he takes huge drops at break neck speed and if his primary receiver is not open, he sprints to the

sidelines and runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away even though he is well out of the

pocket. The Browns might develop a decent WildDawg package. I've seen Cribs, I know he is a stud, but

Seneca will break your heart and he isn't going to fool any defensive coordinators. Also, I know Mangini

is your head coach, but Holmgren *hates* the WildDawg. If he has any say in it, you won't be running the

WildDawg at all. Good luck to the Browns and Holmgren this year. Kick the Steelers' a**.

As a Seahawk fan I would like to give you guys a little heads up on Seneca Wallace. He is fast and he is

athletic and he is a QB, but he will not be successful for you in a WildDawg formation. The WildDawg requires

that the guy lined up at QB be a threat to take off running as one of the possible options. Anyone that

has watched tape of Seneca over the last few years knows he is NOT going to run. Forwards anyways.

Lining him up as a RB would be pretty funny, but a direct snap to him is the same as an awkward shotgun

snap. He's not going to run. Lining him up at WR is a way to get a completion because he can catch a

football, but you'd be lucky get more than two yards before he steps out of bounds. You see, Seneca

pictures himself as a drop back passer. Unfortunately he is too short to see over his own offensive line,

so he takes huge drops at break neck speed and if his primary receiver is not open, he sprints to the

sidelines and runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away even though he is well out of the

pocket. The Browns might develop a decent WildDawg package. I've seen Cribs, I know he is a stud, but

Seneca will break your heart and he isn't going to fool any defensive coordinators. Also, I know Mangini

is your head coach, but Holmgren *hates* the WildDawg. If he has any say in it, you won't be running the

WildDawg at all. Good luck to the Browns and Holmgren this year. Kick the Steelers' a**.

They WILL Run the WildDawg ..Cribbs gives the Steelers FITS... Its the ONLY Way they can Play with Pittsburgh. Holmgren will get over it. NO Doubt about that. Holmgren will turn away... Eat another Double Cheese Burger and Turn back around and smile. Cribbs is a Beast.

I think you bring up some legitimate concerns about Wallace. Not having seen a lot of him, many of us thought that perhaps he was sort of a "Michael Vick Lite" type of QB....you know, the stereotypical "athletic" black QB. But, it seems that you are saying that perhaps he is more of a "Byron Leftwich Stout Ale"....that is far more of a drop back, cement overshoe type QB than we believe?

Is this a fair statement?

They WILL Run the WildDawg ..Cribbs gives the Steelers FITS... Its the ONLY Way they can Play with Pittsburgh. Holmgren will get over it. NO Doubt about that. Holmgren will turn away... Eat another Double Cheese Burger and Turn back around and smile. Cribbs is a Beast.

Well, I don't know if it is the only way, But it helped somewhat in that game last year. That game was won by the Browns primarily by the defense. (6 points....8 sacks). What offensive production the Browns did have was due in a big part to Cribbs gaining 87 yards on only 8 carries, but without the defensive performance that offensive output of only scoring 13 points, surely, would not have been enough to win most games.

I think you bring up some legitimate concerns about Wallace. Not having seen a lot of him, many of us thought that perhaps he was sort of a "Michael Vick Lite" type of QB....you know, the stereotypical "athletic" black QB. But, it seems that you are saying that perhaps he is more of a "Byron Leftwich Stout Ale"....that is far more of a drop back, cement overshoe type QB than we believe?

Is this a fair statement?

i wouldnt compare wallace to byron, the slowest black man to EVER play the position. wallace has speed to burn and looks like he has that agility to make those quick changes in direction. i think what he's talking about is a typical fast athletic qb that was hounded by coaches for years to be a drop back style qb. once he sees J-Money jukin and spinnin outa the backfield he'll be following suit as well

How much of that is by design though? Holmgren talked about he didnt use Seneca in Wilddawg because he was afraid to get him hurt then would have no backup QB. Maybe he was being told to avoid contact?

How much of that is by design though? Holmgren talked about he didnt use Seneca in Wilddawg because he was afraid to get him hurt then would have no backup QB. Maybe he was being told to avoid contact?

That's my thinking, NM.

Wallace was the perfect fit here, because Jake is the starter and Colt is the future and we can utilize and maximize Wallace's skills. I think Wallace will be excited to have a role with especially designed plays each week, yet it won't interrupt Jake's role, he can head to the sideline and look at photos and talk to OC while Wallace runs in there to do the Wild Dawg.

Imagine Cribbs, Wallace and Harrison in the backfield, and you don't know where the snap is going .. and two of the guys are QBs ... the WildDawg is going to take the Wildkat to a whole new level.

Zombo

Archived